Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80

I posted this on the Natural Girls thread, but I wanted to post here as well, because I wanted to get some feedback from you guys...

I met with my onc today for my 6-week followup from the BMX and treatment rx. She was not happy at all that I stopped the Tamoxifen. She said that technically I was Stage 1 not Stage 0, because I had a tiny microinvasion that was discovered during the BMX, and that since I have an invasive cancer, Tam is the ONLY treatment for it. She didn't even offer any other options, and said that the risk of uterine cancer is only .2%, compared to an 11% risk of BC recurrence by taking the Tam (down from the 21% risk of recurrence if I don't take it). I"m not really sure I'm trusting all these statistics thrown at me. I do have an appointment with my gyn next week, and I'm going to talk to him about risks of uterine cancer.

I also met with a dietician. Since I already eat all the cruciferous veggies and dark fruits that supposedly "cure" cancer, I was a little skeptical about that meeting. However, she did give me some great information about the importance of Vitamin D (even more vital than VitC), which I had also read somewhere else. She wants me to take 6000IU of VitD for a few months to get my levels up (they are very low). She also suggested watching Dr. William Li's presentation on www.TED.com about how we can starve cancer by eating the right foods. (It's the stuff we seem to be doing anyway, but it's reassuring to know there are studies proving actual benefits.) The dietician also recommended getting a colonoscopy, because too often women beat BC and die of colon cancer. She said to get scans and tests as often as possible, because that's a great way to keep an eye on what's going on inside, rather than waiting until you start feeling pains (which typically means you're at a more aggressive stage of cancer and it might not be as treatable).

So, I don't feel guilty about stopping the Tam, even though I think that's what my onc was going for. I'm going to up the supplements and enjoy the healthy benefits of those veggies and fruits and hope they work their magic in eradicating any potential cancer cells that might be floating around. And if I see something that really convinces me that Tam is the way to go...I still have a prescription that I can fill. 

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Thanks for the info Joan. Must be a ough decision. All this different info. re. Vitamin D is soooooo confusing....it is on my agenda to ask my radiologist on Monday...Hope you can sleep beter now that the decision has been made:)

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Sandee, I'm going to bet a nickel that your RadOnc won't know much about Vit. D.  Most MedOncs are not very informed about it either, but some are the exception.  Your PCP may or may not know the latest on Vit. D, depending how much reading they do, etc.  Personally, I got more info from Googling and the various threads on BC.org.

I just want to point out 2 facts about Vitamin D:

1)  Low levels of Vitamin D have been LINKED to women who have/have had B/C.  This means there is SOME unknown connection, but as of now there is nothing which shows whether low D causes B/C, or whether B/C causes the D to be low, or whether there is a third factor that causes both the B/C and the low D. In a nutshell, then, no causal relationship has been established between Vit. D & B/C.

2) There have been recent studies that are pointing to the recommended daily allowance (rda) being raised.  It is currently at 400IU per day.  Also, studies suggest that the levels of Vit. D found in blood serum testing should be increased from their current range of "normal" which is 25-80 ng/mL. 

The good news is the research is continuing on Vit. D.  The bad news is with Vit. D so cheap and available (not regulated as a pharmaceutical) don't hold your breath that they are rushing along with this like it is a top priority.  

• elimar

Eph, If you keep getting those "all clear" mammo checks, so will I.  Happy for ya! 

Maybe a little too happy...     I'm o.k.

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Hi Middies.

MJB, So sorry to hear about your Dad. My prayers are with you and your Dad. What a shock this must be for you and your family. Wishing you hope,strength and courage for for your visit.

Lynnia, Hope you had a successful day today.

I Had my first Taxol today, went well- I slept through it :). It was great to finish without feeling nauseated or having a headache. A bit tired now but I ate dinner which I never did after EC!

Joan, I found the nutritionist was helpful I actually had seen one on my own and then saw the one that works with my ONC. Hope you find the same.

Eli, Love the April Fools Picture

Happy April Fools Day tomorrow to ALL

Hugs

Jean

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132
    elp,
    Happy dance for your clear results
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My rad ONC put me on Vitamin D after my first blood work with him due to low levels.

Joan I think ultimately we have to do what feel right to us. We are in charge of our treatment and we make informed decisions that work best for us.

Lynnia so glad things went well today for you. Gentle hugs to you tonight and tomorrow.

HUGS again
    Jean
  • lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Thanks everyone I feel great and now I have chemo tomrrow at 1 pm.  I know everything is going to be ok because God has been so good to me.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

i will be praying for your' dad, and you,mjb... its tough, with our parents so ill...      3jays

• lynniea

Thanks all went well no for the 2nd Chemo today.  I know all things work together for those who love him.

• elimar

Is faith giving people better odds against cancer?   I had not heard that.

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611

mjb - how awful! I'm so sorry! Hope he tolerates the treatment well and more so that it works. I can't imagine how terribly frightened you must be with this coming on so suddenly. So glad you will be able to be with him. Praying for lots of strenght and healing for you Dad and family.

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611

mjb - how awful! I'm so sorry! Hope he tolerates the treatment well and more so that it works. I can't imagine how terribly frightened you must be with this coming on so suddenly. So glad you will be able to be with him. Praying for lots of strenght and healing for you Dad and family.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Well I made it to Amarillo with out much mishap but I did set off the scanner at the airport. Not for sure if it was the TE I still have or the earrings I forgot to take off but I had my first pat down. Next time I will just wait for the body scanner.

My dad is resting well, having his second chemo tx now. My sister told me he had a rough night. The tx seem to be working, after his first tx the count went from over 200 to under 150. It seems to have been triggered within the past to weeks as sis said he started looking his age of 82, he always looked like he stopped aging at 68. Thanks for the well wishes, he's a trouper.

Eph great news

Lynniea with you in spirit tomorrow

Hate typing on the phone as I can't see what everyone has written.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

mjb - Glad you made it to Amarillo safe and sound and that your day is resting well.  

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Elimar- thanks My Gp told me oo that the standard level is 400 but her readings had said hat 2000 is beneficial. Some of the antioxidants seem to work against tami and with the blood thinners I am now on, I hav eto do some major research on anything else I add. But I did tell the cardiologist and hospital pharmacist about Vit D and it was ok'd.

MJB-Be gentle with yourself. Glad you arrived safe and sound

• elimar
    mjb, that sound like a very good response to the chemo.  Now with you there, you can provide a much needed diversion.  I think it really helps the parents' spirits if they can free their minds from the dread disease for a  while.  (That helps us too!)
  • elimar
    Sandee, I take 2000IU of Vit. D (two gelcaps,) and get 800IU more in the two Citracals I also take daily.  That's well over the daily RDA, but I have heard of people taking a lot more than that.  I just want to tread the middle ground until I get my level retested in a couple months.
  • lynniea

Will keep you in prayer.  Chemo number 2 done yea.  Went very fast.  DH bought home 10 pink roses.  It was very special. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

That was sweet of him.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

JoanDavies I'm behind in reading posts and maybe others have commented but I confess I don't have time to read all the answers ... for Tamox all I can say is that if you go to gyn every 6 months as they recommend I think the risks of ovarian/uterine cancer are small compared to the benefit of knocking down the risk of recurrence of BC.  I did tamox for 3 1/2 yrs before switching to Aromasin once I was totally post-menap and saw my doc every 6 mos ... I did have thickening and needed a D&C after a while, had a couple ultrasounds, but to me it was worth it.  I felt as long as I did the recommended follow-ups I was in good hands, and any chance of lessening recurrence was worth it to me.  Just one woman's opinion

• marlegal
    Eph, so glad you're results were good hon :)
  • 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

mjb.. glad you got there ok.. will be praying for all of you!    3jays

• marlegal

Commenting on whether faith helps ... personally, I don't think I could have made it through without the prayers of my family and friends, including the hundreds of women who never met me in person, but who felt like they knew me because of this web site.  Do I have proof of that?  Of course not, except in my heart and soul.  Are there studies on that?  Probably, somewhere, but I don't care if I read them or not.  I am not a bible thumper, I don't push my beliefs on anyone, ever, but I think a comment saying "is faith giving people better odds" is, at the very least, a bit rude.

Edited to add - if I read something out of context, I apologize ... when going through posts quickly it's easy to miss the thread of a conversation and I don't mean to sound so harsh

• elimar
    I'll make a note of that, marlegal.  I did PM you for a better understanding of the comment I made and the point I was trying to make with that statement. 
  • marlegal
    Lynn, things like those roses are the memories which will make this experience not so bad to look back on.  I'm soooo glad he did that :)
  • Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

I all I havent been on much this week  I had the TE filled and it was a bit uncomfortable.   And man are they huge.  Compared to what I had pre cancer.  I walked out of the ofc filling like the boobs where coming out the door and I was following them.  This chick is as big as I wanna be.  I was a 32A before so I really dont want to look like a freak of nature with Dolly Paron boobs.  My family jokeingly tries to get me to go to the freak level.. No thanks.

I start my first taxol treatment and it went good.  I slept thru all of it.  Good thing my mom went shopping and had lunch with a  friend cause it lasted five hours.  Next time it wont be so long. I did good on it and they will speed up the drip next time. Not bad a far as SE.   The red devil was worse.  Im glad thats behind me. Take care all. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

The vitamin D has to be in liquid form and be D3. Nothing else will work the same way. There was tons of threads on it a couple of years ago. I take 5,000 IUs a day, in drop form.

• elimar

I had just been thinking of you yesterday, wondering if you had started the Taxol yet, Paula66.  One down, three more to go.  Maybe the docs start with AC, 'cause once a woman gets thru' that the rest is easier.  So with your TE, are you saying you will wear it a while but not have to get any additional fills before they do recon. on you?

I had also been thinking about PauldingMom because we have not heard from her for some time.  Not sure what treatment she is getting at this point, but hope she is feeling o.k.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Happy Day Joni...2 years and counting...♥

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

LOL about following your boobs around, Paula - I imagine that will take some getting used to! Good luck with your Taxol treatments, sounds like you're rounding 3rd and heading for home!

Lynniea, hope you are feeling well today, too. Chemo is soooo hard, but I'm glad I did it.

Barbe, I had no idea the Vit D should be in liquid form. I'm assuming you don't just tilt your head back and drop it in your mouth - haha! What do you add it to? (oops, ending a sentence in a preposition always bothers me!)

I've had many tests this month following my March 8th appointment with the onc. I foolishly had decided to wait until they were all through so I would only have to bother her once for the results. Well, all that did was leave me in a constant state of anxiety! My mammogram was the last test - it was this past Tuesday, and the radiologist determined there was something he didn't like and wanted to keep an eye on it. So I waited another day and tried to call my onc for all the test results, but to discuss this specifically, and she was out of town! Finally, yesterday I found out all the tests were fine, but that is the LAST time I'm going to try to be polite about test results - from now on, I'm calling for each and every result ASAP!