Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Options

Comments

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

would someone please phonetically write out how "cicada" is pronounced.  I truly don't know.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Options

Sick-ay-da

• eph3_12
    Options

REALLY??????? That's nothing like what I would have thought.

I get invalid page when I try that link E. 

• eph3_12
    Options

whenever I see that word "cicada" I have pronounced it (in my head) chi-caw-daw...Don't ask me why as I have no clue.

• elimar
    Options

LOL  It is always funny to find out we have pronounced something wrong in our minds for years. 

I fixed the link up above now.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    Options

I am soooo far back in reading, but have to  comment on the part where people were talking plastic surgery for facial flaws ... If any doctor anywhere culd tell me that I'd have no problem with looking like an idiot with plumps and tucks and whatever, I'd gladlyu pay out of my own pocket and gladly go through rehab (you ned that after a face job, in case you didn't know).  But until that elective surgery is 100% guaranteed, I"ll take my facial hair, and my lumps and bumps, and I'll say "This is what a hard working woman looks like, and oh yeah, I beat breast cancer too" and to hell with anyone who looks at my thighs after that.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

e if that is the link to the mother who ignored her cancer until it started to grow out of her breast, I'll pass. I had to bite my tongue to not post on that thread yesterday. And I'll have to bit my tongue now to not say anything here!!!!

Marlegal, no one's looking at MY thighs lately.....sigh.... or maybe that's a blessing?

• elimar
    Options
    Barbe, I understand that reaction.  I even had that reaction, but then I did a 180 and tapped in to the complete sadness of the mom's decision and what it means for the daughter.  That is the place I could finally write from.  I had to resist writing anything shoulda, woulda, coulda.  I just put it out there on this thread IF anyone felt they could be of comfort to the daughter. 
  • leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    Options

Barbe,

I would have to agree with you. I have a lady right here in my hometown who was dx after me by @ 6 months. When she started she was in the same phase as me. They set up her treatment plan, just @ the same as mine. She however has always been one of those people who are OH WOES ME. Feel sorry for me, help me. Give to me. Nothing was ever wrong with anyone else that she didn't have worse.

She is in a wheel chair ( only because of her own making ). Weighs @ 400-500 lbs. Not kidding. Makes her kids wait on her hand & foot. While she does nothing but eat. Her son is in a wheel chair ( NOT of his own making - born that way ). Anyway long story short, I told her if she wanted to get better she needed to go to treatment because IBC is very aggressive.

She started treatment, then started missing chemo appointments....just because she didn't feel like going that day or some other lame excuse. Now her cancer has progressed to the state of seeping through he breast. Right now she is on a respirator. I do truly feel sorry for her children that they are loosing their mother, but I just can't seem to feel sorry for her. She did this to herself.

I just can't understand how some people are. There are a lot of us out there who have had some really crappy things happen to us all our lives & suck it up & survive. Then there are those who thinks the world owes them or something.

Sorry went off there a little bit, but every time someone puts something on FB @ her I just wanna scream. If she would have went to treatment she wouldn't be going through what she is right now. It's her own damn fault. Shut up & quit feeling sorry for her.

I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I guess I'm just a BITCH. Sorry, I'll shut up now. Maybe I just needed to vent..... Thanks

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674
    Options

Elimar-what a family tragedy for that young woman. I am torn too Barbe, its easy to judge her mom for not getting treatment earlier, but it sounds like watching HER mother go thru TX made her against ANY tx.Must have been very traumatic for them. My hope is the young lady realizes she doesn't have to be on the same path. . .

OMG, I looked at my thighs the other day---ughghgh!!! Where did all those lumpity bumps come from?? Pants for me for awhile!!! Yoga pants that is!! 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Having a great time at my son's. Here is the picture of the weekend.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    Options

Fear can make you do stupid things. I won't judge because I know.

• elimar
    Options

I was just thinking about Weekend Mystery Pic and, lo and behold, here it is!

That is definitely the fur of a hyena or wild dingo.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Options

If it is not true to color, I would guess a petrified tree.

• barbe1958
    Options

I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks they know better than all the doctors as to what they need are WRONG!!! I am not an electrician, so I don't wire my house. I'm not a plumber, so I don't do the plumbing. I am not a surgon, so I don't do my own surgery. That woman saw her mom suffer through chemo so she didn't want it. BIG DEAL!!!! Get over it!! We all have to do things in life that we'd rather not do. Now her very own daughter is watching her mother DIE because the mother didn't want to go through chemo. If that's the case, go into the forest and dig a hole and sit in it until you die. Don't make your kids watch you!!! That is the most SELFISH thing I have ever read on this board!!!!

That is why I can't post about it......

• elimar
    Options

Yeah, the whole situation has controversy attached to it.  In the end, there's no forcing another (even a relative) to react a certain way, be it wisdom or folly.

• cmbear
    Options

Everyone chooses their own path in life and death. Sometimes your options are limited. I see the pain my disease put my family thru and that is what breaks my heart. I couldn't do what she has chosen, but it is her choice.

• eph3_12
    Options

I'd say it's a satellite shot of the place where sherryc is right now.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    Options

I think it looks like animal fur - maybe the doggie in your avatar?

• elimar
    Options
    Teka, you are also welcome to stop back...to post or lurk as you see fit.  I often try to entice unsuspecting Newbies with prettty pictures, and before too long they are munching on Cheetos and playing Weekend Myster Pic along with us.  (See page 404, and get your guesses in, Middles.)
  • prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    Options

my guess = dalmation fur

Trish

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Love the guesses keep it up will let you gals know tomorrow for sure.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442
    Options

I am guessing cat fur.

• barbe1958
    Options

slug

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331
    Options

I agree with mjbmiller, cat fur

Treatment decions are hard, my co-workers wife who just passed choose not to take treatments reccomended when the cancer returned.  Not the decsions I feel I would have made, and her husband my co-worker and I discussed on several occasions. This disease and its treatment options are very personal.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    Options
    I say its a Douglas Fir tree covered in snow! Laughing
  • elimar
    Options

Wouldn't that be tricky of her to post something snowy at this time of year!  A lot are guessing in the fur category.  I don't think it looks too much different than that butterfly wing we had the one week, only a lot less colorful.

Posting a pic for Eph.  Poor thing doesn't have any Fireflies of her own.  I have always liked them.

One time, in my less cynical youth, I had a poem about fireflies published.  Before anyone actually thinks that is an accomplishment, I have to add it was the type of publication that will publish anyone's fortune cookie haiku, just in order to market the finished book to all the aspiring poets and poetesses.  Ha-ha, what a racket; and no, I did not purchase a copy,

• cmbear
    Options

My brain is so fried--I stare and stare at the picture--and all I see is all those stupid sonograms I have had. I know that's not what it is but that's what it reminds me of!!! 

• cmbear
    Options

BTW--elimar--the detail on your lightning bug photo is incredible. Great pic!!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

The mystery pic is a piece of knitting done with varigated wool.