Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Options

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Claire, you have to take Vit E!!! I remember those kinds of cramps when I was pregnant. I actually had a golf-ball-sized lump on the back of my calf. I had to get out of bed and stand up to try to stretch it out. Wowza!!!!! Vitamin E was recommended and it did work. Not an old wifes' tale.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442
    Options

Claire - I was having chemo about this time last year, did wear my wig for about a month after I lost the hair, then I would wear hats or scarvs.  Mostly scarvs at work, went comando at home though, head gear was the first to come off.  I had to get my DS used to seeing his mom without hair.  It did not take too long.  He would rub it for good luck, gota love a 15 year old.  Just do what is comfortable to you.

I did not have problems with rads until the 5th week, started turning red/purplish by Thursday of that week.  RO came in to look and prerscribed the sliver cream.  By three weeks after last treatment, skin area just looked tan.  Depending on where radiation beam its, you may see some tanning on your back too.  Mine faded within a month.  The Maiderma worked great for me, just did not tell the RO, he was old school and just wanted me to aloe vera (but that burns more).

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    Options

I wear a hat out, at home I'm topless (just the head lol).  My 13 yo daughter and my two sons, 19 and 22 are fine with it.  My DD does not want her school friends to see me that way.  She is actually obsessed with it.  But she has close friends who are over the house a lot, and she is fine with me being topless around them.  I agree with mjbmiller, do whatever is comfortable for you.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442
    Options

Well tomorrow I am finally having my surgery done. Getting that last TE out and going without recon. Looking forward to getting on with life.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    Options

MJB I'll be praying for an easy surrgery and a quick recovery for you.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Options
    mjb, it is a shame that your original plan for recon did not work out, but I love your "get on with life" attitude.  Will be keeping you in my thoughts tomorrow, that all goes smoothly.  Once you recover a bit, let us know how it went.
  • jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Options
    mjb - Love your positive attitude and will keep you in my thoughts that all goes well and that you have a speedy recovery.
  • barbe1958
    Options

Thank God it's finally happening MBJ!! Remember when you were given the date and it seemed SO far away? I think they did that, thinking that you'd change your mind. I've been chatting with someone else who had hers removed and she is SO, so very happy with her decision!!! I can't wait to hear how relieved you are, but remember, it too, is a surgery that you'll have to recover from. Good luck, sweetie!!!

• reesie
    Options

Why do they keep remaking movies that came out when we were young. I just saw a commercial for the remake of Footloose. I don't want to feel old and everytime they remake one of "my" movies it reminds me of my age again lol.

• elimar
    Options
    reesie, you feel old?  What about poor Kevin Bacon?  Yeah, and only about 5% of the remakes are actually any good.  When my son was a pre-teen, he asked why everything was a remake, why they couldn't come up with some new ideas? 
  • OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Options

MJB got my fingers crossed that surgery and recovery is a breeze!

EPH, where the hell have I been? I have never even heard of that shoThat man is extra delicious and he is 41 so still doable LOL,

I may have no estrogen and no mojo but my dirty little mind works just fineInnocent

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

mjbmiller good luck on your surgery tomorrow.  Hope you have an easy recovery

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    Options

Good luck with your surgery tommorrow mjbmiller.  I hope all goes well.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

OG56-Shemar got his start on a soap opera , Young & the Restless, but I'd be happy to have him on every show, every channel! 

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    Options

Oh Joni I love him and the Criminal Minds.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi LadiesWink

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    Options

LOL OG56, I know what you mean!  Thanks ladies on the topless help.  I went to work with a hat on and then I went ahead and took it off.  I was abit nervous at first, but after abit I was fine.  The ride home I also went topless.  It was a free feeling.  My cousin had fb me about how she went topless with no hair, so I got to thinking if she can do it then I will give it a whirl. Thanks for the help and courage to go topless out of the house.  BTW my son likes to rub my head also, lol.  He was always trying to get me to stop wear hats and scarves. 

• K-Lo
    K-Lo Member Posts: 826
    Options

Hey Ree, us jersey girls got hair on Abraxane. MO said only 5% get it back. High five.

• elimar
    Options

K-Lo, we are pleased to meet you on this thread.  Feel free to flaunt your hair despite taking Abraxane, because anything that beats the odds is something to brag about. Now, are you saying you are a Jersey girl transplant to AL...oh my!!!

• reesie
    Options

Well it's good to know we're special Kathy lol.

I was almost asleep enjoying my percoset (no electricity at work had to take steps - only 3 flights and it was only down but the leg was aching). Well my thoughtful son comes in and says "are you up?" Well I am NOW. He's going to the store because he's hungry and there's "nothing to eat" and he wanted to know if I needed anything.

Guess I can't be mad but....

Hmmm... shoulda asked for Tastycakes :)

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674
    Options

MJB-good luck today on your surgery today. Sending good thoughts your way!

Barbe-How much Vit E do you take, my multi is 100%, I already supplement with D and B complex. What's another vitamen to the mix!!

Reesie-- I saw a preview for Footloose last night during SYTYCD. What makes me feel old is knowing that none of the kids cast for that movie were ALIVE when the first movie came out. Plus Dennis Quaid is playing John Lithgow's part--a tad older----but that is OK by me!! 

quaid

I'm not complaining!!!

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    Options

holey moley- looks like i have not been on this thread in a month.....missed you all..been a little distracted hahahahaha make that a lot but like the phoenix, I am slowly finding my wings again

i can't read every single post that I have missed but let me welcome everyone new (and that ticks me off knowing there ARE new people- I wish one day nobody would have to join...

• reesie
    Options
    Claire, that's what I was watching too!  That is my absolute favorite reality show - there is some amazing dancing on it Smile
  • barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

MBJ, good luck today. Sending up prayers for a speedy recovery!

cmblastic - now THAT's what I'm talking about!

• barbe1958
    Options

His face is too rubbery looking for me. Put a bag on his head and I'm good to go! Cool Maybe even BOGO!!!

Annette, where the HELL have you been!! I have been so worried about you but was afraid to ask!

• elimar
    Options
    Hey, annettek, missed you, your writing, and your flying goat.  What been going on with you? 
  • elimar
    Options

Barbe, that's harsh; but every woman has a right to put a bag over whomever.  I'm gonna be pro-Quaid because he is, after all, a 57-yr-old man who, at least, was manly enough not to "go Hollywood" and get "a little work done" to make him look like a 27-yr-old mask.  That, and he is pretty ripped for his age...hope it was protien shakes and not steroids.

And that brings us to our Middle-aged issue of the day:  WRINKLES.  If you are in this age group, you got 'em.  So, is there anything short of plastic surgery or botox injections that really can help?  You Middies are my go to gals about products actually used and tried?  Is there some fab creme out there that restores even the least bit of youth to our facial skin?  

(Good Luck mjb, not forgetting about you today.)

• barbe1958
    Options

I actually find that because I hang on to *ahem* a 'little' bit of extra weight that I look younger than I am. Even the stand-in onc the other day looked up and said "you don't look that old". hehehehehehehe

That's because the fat plumps out my wrinkles, you bitch!

• reesie
    Options

ROFL Barbe, I was thinking that myself - not having a wrinkle problem here either.  Now the gray hair (or what there is of it now) - that's another story.

• elimar
    Options

I'm an average weight, but if putting on an extra 5 lbs. plumped out my face, I'd do it.  Trouble is I'd probably need about 30 lbs. extra...29 of which would head straight for the belly & butt and 1 of which might wind up on the face (as eye bags!)  I miss my dear departed collagen too.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Options

Eli - I am like you - need to plump out the face a little and leave the belly and butt alone.  Maybe I could shift some of the belly fat to the face cheeks????