MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• koalakid39
    koalakid39 Member Posts: 12

I asked this on another page, but maybe someone here had this experience.  Has anyone here had a drain for more than a couple of weeks? This thing is about to drive me nuts!  My dr has me advancing it about 1cm every 3 days (he is gone this week), the drainage has finally slowed and now I am tempted to just remove it.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Koalakid39-welcome to the thread.  I was 48 at diag and my tumor was 1.6 cm.  I did not have chemo so I can't help you with your questions about the port, but this is a great place to come for support and answers.

• IHadCancer
    IHadCancer Member Posts: 5

Find those who have been in your shoes and support those who have been touched by cancer at www.ihadcancer.com, a new social support network for fighters, survivors and supporters. You can search for people by age, gender, location and type of cancer on this site created by a breast cancer survivor!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I've reported the above as spam.  Or is it phishing?  Or is it just low to try and wrangle us over to their online support by using this actual site.  Not right!

Maybe "IHadCancer" had his/her ethics removed along with the cancer.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Elimar - I do have a very long history of fibroids and thick uterus.  I was on hormones of various kinds up until my dx last year.  My GYN wanted to put be back on some hormones for this problem and I told him he needed to go take the time and read all the documents the surgeon sent him (GYN was the referring physician) and he would find out that I was hormone receptor positive and hormones are a no-no for me now.  That is one reason why I am going to insist on tht TVUS every year and if he wants to do another biopsy so be it.  I will do what I have to to prevent endometrial CA as a result of being on Tamoxifen.

• justjudie
    justjudie Member Posts: 196

I agree. Don't like it either.

Judie

• Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 126

Welcome koalakid! Got to see the ultra sound of my gran baby today. My first grandchild from my Kids. I was so overwhelmed, I cried! I hope I'll be around to watch him/her grow up. They don't want to know the sex but I hope it's a girl and it's just lime my daughter. Pay back is a bi£€#. Lol

DH has some job leads. Keep fingers crossed. Thanks again Annette!

Foxy

• koalakid39

Elimar and jo1955--you both are talking about TVUS....I had to have one because I will be on Tamox for 5 yrs after chemo.  I thought I was going to jump off the table because it was so painful when she was looking for my right ovary. Did you experience a lot of pain? Now I'm worried because she asked if I had a follow up appt with the GYN and said the report would be ready in 2 days. I'm probably just being paranoid! Thanks, Kim

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Ok I have had 2 box biopsies in the last 2 months.  Sometimes enough is enough.  I am so tired of doctos.  If I have one more body parts poked pulled cut removed scrapped Im gonna scream pretty dang loud!  Ok got that outa my system.

Welcome loalakid good luck with all your doing.  You have come to the right place.  The gals here I great.  Very helpful, so dont be afraid to ask questions, they will help you through it.

Well all Im off to flip some breasts, chicken that is, lol Have a good one.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

"At first I thought, "Hey!  What are you doing?  Keep those hands on my boobs and crotch where they belong!"  Elimar, Aug 1, 2011

Is there anyone here that doesn't think our thread founder isn't one of the funniest women alive?

Edited at E's insistence!

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

I totally agree Eph.

Ummm "box" biopsies Paula?

Welcome koala. I haven't had surgery yet so I can't help you with the drains.

So awesome Foxy. I would cry too - even without the cancer issue.

• jo1955

Koala - When I had my TVUS done is was right after he took his smear for the pap.  The machine just happened to be next to the exam table I was on.  It did not hurt at all and I could see the images right on the screen.  In fact, my GYN took the time to point out what he saw and had said right then that he needed to do the biopsy based on the size of the fibroid tumor.  I will be on tamox for the next 4 1/2 years and I know I will insist on a TVUS every year.

Eph - I'll second that on Elimar - she sure can make you laugh.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    LOL, Elimar! That cracked me up! Gotta remember that....although it will be hard to find just the right conversation to throw it out there again, but it's a goodie! It needs more air time...Surprised
  • elimar

Finding humor in everyday life is the easy part.  It's the pluralizing of the word "hand" that is truly difficult.  (Eph, please correct my quote, as I did now in my original, so I don't look like an even bigger buffoon than usual!!!)   Toss another coin in my "typo bank."

• heartnsoul76

hmmm...at least you didn't pluralize crotch...

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Reesie-do you not know what of Paula refers?   ;>) EmbarassedSurprisedTongue outWink 
  • elimar

Your are so right, HnS...there is that at least.

But now that you bring up having more than one crotch...did anyone ever see DEAD RINGERS  (1988) with Jeremy Irons playing twin gynecologists?  Here's my favorite line from the synopsis:

"..he constructs a set of bizarre gynecological instruments for working on these mutant women, even using them once on a real person."

It was a regular theatrical release and  Irons won three awards for best actor.  Really.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Reesie its what me and my sissy call our crotch, I think I spelled that right.  Thats just one of the ones we use.  There are tons more, but I will save it another day, lol.

• koalakid39

Thank you to all of you ladies! I'm so glad I found this thread! I appreciate all the kind words and responses. It's nice to have somewhere to "vent" or just say how I feel..

JO...I wasn't so lucky, I had to go to the hospital for my TVUS. When you live in a fairly small town, you don't have a lot of choice!

• reesie

Actually, I thought that Paula, my kids use that expression all the time (well I guess not all the time because that would be a problem).  I just thought it was funny because I wasn't sure others used that expression too.

• jo1955

koalakid - I know what you mean.  In this case I got lucky but there are times I feel like I live at the end of the world.  It has been an experience living in deep South Texas - I live just minutes from the Mexican border.  Down here if you are not Hispanic you are in the minority.

• heartnsoul76

Elimar - I remember that weird movie; I don't think I want to re-watch it!

All this talk about weird movies and "boxes" reminds me of another strange movie from the early 90's. Did anyone see "Boxing Helena"? It was creepy, about another pyscho doctor. 

• elimar

No weather reports here!  However, Tamox. user do need to be especially cautious this summer as temps. reach some record highs.  Here's something I found (just from a self-reported data base) about Tamoxifen & Heat Stroke.

Watered my dying bushes for about forty five minutes this morning, felt dizzy, had to take cold shower to cool my body down.  Blowing off my son's soccer game at 6:15 tonight.  There is just no way Tamox. & I can do it this time. 

• heartnsoul76

Elimar, that's what I do every time I walk in the door! I'm just happy mine's is a side-by-side so I don't have to kneel...

Glad you posted that link to Tamox & heat stroke - this is my first tamoxifen summer and it's been hell! I can barely cope with the heat this year and I choose to blame the tamoxifen! I was having chemo last summer and it wasn't THIS bad. Of course, it's been a hot summer but I am really NOT dealing!

45 minutes watering? I can work about 5 minutes out there before I say, Okay I'm done! 

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

all i can say is ac! yeah

• Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 126

I wonder if the Femara has the same effects. I didn't think about that, just thought it was the horrible hot flashes but I actually get nauseous when working in the flower garden sometimes. Then freeze to death when I go inside! My thermostat is broken! I do think that all this sweating and I mean dripping sweat, dehydrates me to the point of having leg cramps at night. Trying to drink tons of water, then pee all night. Blah!

Foxy

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Elimar, I have has those abnormal cells found, and I was having a PAP every three months for two years.  My gyno said I could stop when I got 3 clear ones in a row.  It finally happened, no meds or anything.  I think my system was trying to recover from the chemo.  I have have several TVUS for the fibroids or what they might morph into, unlike Jo, they are painful for me so I won't insist on them.  I have had many cervical bx's and I must be one of the women who have plenty of nerves there, I feel like I could faint when he does them!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Whoever said the TVUS was painful, I'm with you!!! The tech couldn't find my ovaries and dug until I thought she was going to come out my bum! Embarassed I was in so much pain I couldn't even tell her!!!!! I have had a hysterectomy so I guess there is no 'give' at the cut off surgical end of my woo hoo. She almost made a new one!
  • reesie

Hope this works - thought you ladies would appreciate this (my son tagged me in it on FB - don't know how he finds this stuff.

• jo1955

Ressie - The first part of that cartoon is so true.