MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Yep e, that's what I meant. No point in counting on an Oncotype score unless you are going to take a HORMONAL (not Tamoxifen specific).

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

I didn't see the pic earlier today, but now I do. Is she wearing heels??  

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Leisa my condolences and prayers to your family.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Wow.  I just came home and checked the thread and want to tell all of you how much I appreciate the amazing response to my question.  I have already learned so much from this site, and from these discussion boards.  I feel much more ready to discuss my options.  Thank you all for being there.

• SAB

@cmblastic: I had a lumpectomy on July 12th, or as one of the gals on this site called it a "slabectomy."  Surgeon removed 9 cm x 7.5 cm x (I think) 3 cm for a 1.6 cm tumor and I don't know how to feel about that.  Clear margins thought, so I guess I should drink champagne out of that big old dent that's going to be there when the swelling finally goes down.  Their plan for me is radiation and then Tamoxifen, since I am perimenopausal.  Oncotype dx came in at 15, so no chemo. I am very concerned about all of the side effects I have been reading about.  Also, trying to learn about absolute risk and the math involved in order to make better decisions.  Yes, it's overwhelming.  

• cmbear

Leisa-I am so sorry about the loss of your dad. Big hugs((((((Leisa))))))!!!!!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Leisaparis--I am so sorry to hear about your dad.  So sad, so hard. 

• cmbear

SAB- Well, hopefully with margins like that they got out all the extra nasties floating around. The rads side effects short term are very doable. Long term effects you have to weigh the good with the bad. Same with the hormonal treatment. Everyone is different. As someone here once said, some of us go guns blazing, get it out, and give me every weapon to make sure it doesn't come back. Others are more conservative and go for the less is more option. We all have made the best choice that fits our own unique challenge. Good luck on your finding your path. . .

• SAB

Yes Elimar, I will be taking Tamoxifen.  My Onc did tell me that Tamoxifin was included in the Oncotype score (15 for me,) and he also said that AIs were considered more effective (and that some women request that menopause be induced in order to use them.)  But inducing menopause has other serious side effects including the short term overproduction of estrogen, which is counterproductive to the goal.  It's all so complicated...I feel like I'm in medical training.

• SAB

Thank you cmblastic.  The funny thing is that even with a wire, and the generous slab they took out the deep margin was only 1mm.  The tumor board agreed on no chemo though.  I hate letting a "board" control my outcome!  That's the hardest part for me...feeling like I can never have enough information to choose my path with confidence. Wish I had gone to medical school instead of liberal arts!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

SAB - I would not want a "board" control me either but with news of no chemo I would gladly accept that decision and move on to the next step.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

SAB you did get quit a chunk taking out.  I also had a 1.6cm tumor and my BS took 5.5cmX2cmX2cm. Congrats on the low onco score at least that can put at ease a little bit

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504
    SAB...I also had a big chunk taken out with only a 1mm margin on one side. It turned out that the 1mm was the back margin and was right up against my chest wall so she couldn't go any farther. I had an indentation in my breast, but it actually has started to fill in and now it is back to it's normal shape which I never expected to happen. Hopefully, yours will too...
  • LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504
    Leisa...I'm so sorry to hear about  your dad. My condolences to you and your family...
  • lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Hi ladies I went to the surgeon and he took the drain out.  yea I also found out there was a .32mm size cancer cell in lymph node.  There was no cancer found so I thank God for that. I have to have radiation I see them on the 10th of Aug.  How do they determine how many weeks you go.  I also have a question about the meds you all are taking who decides if you take the after meds.

• Sherryc

Lynnea rads usually takes 6-7 weeks.  Your RO will tell you how many reg rads and how many boost you will need. Since you are ER+&PR+ I am sure you will be on a antihormonal treatment after rads.  Your MO will follow you on that.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Lynn - LIke Sherry said, rads usually last 6 - 7 weeks.  If you are premenopausal the ususal med is Tamoxifen.  If you are post menopausal then it is one of the aromatase inhibitors - Armidex, Femara or Aromasin.  Who decides if you take one of these?  YOU DO!  You MO will more than likely strongly recommend it but the final decision really is in your hands.  The majority of us are on one of the hormonal therapies and we tend to look at it as an added insurance policy against recurrance.

• lynniea

They said now I am a triple negative

• Sherryc

Lynniea how is that?

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614

How and at what point did you learn your oncotype score and recurrence rate?  Is this something my MO should tell me?

• lynniea

Maybe I heard her wrong but I thought that's what she said I see her on the 19th or before I right ankle is killing me.  Could it still be from the Taxol.  I will let you know when I see her.

• Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 126

Wow, I missed a lot in a few days! First welcome to the newbies! I was reading where many of you had gained weight on tamoxifen, which I did when I was on it many years ago. I am now on Femara along with zometa and many pain drugs but I am loosing weight and a lot of it. Last 6 weeks I lost 9 lbs. I just don't have an appetite. Now any other time I would elated! Has anyone else experienced this on Femara? I'm wondering if it's the pain meds that are doing it. Waiting on bloodwork to check thyroid but I don't think that's it.

Foxy

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hi foxy!  I bet the meds to have a hand in it.  I know when I took pain meds, my appetite was down. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Hi all, another newbie here.  I just turned 57.  I am waiting now for the results of my Oncotype test to determine if I need chemo.  So far I have found with cancer...the waiting is the hard part.  I just want to know and move forward!

I was diagnosed on July 1st and had a lumpectomy on July 11th.  The surgery was a breeze and recovery very quick.  My incisions look great.  I get some irritation when I wear a bra but nothing bad.  All my bras are underwires, and sometimes that side spine rubs one of the incisions.  I may have to just remove the wires to be really comfortable.

I met with my oncologists the week before last.  The medical oncologist ordered the test.  He also had blood drawn for Vitamin D levels.  I will be taking a hormone blocking med as well for 5 years.  I believe Arimidex.  Everything is on hold until the test comes back.  If I get a nice low number, no chemo.  Will have radiation, 5x a week for 6.5 weeks.

I really look forward to making some friends here.  I love the spirit of the group and the positive attitudes all the ladies seem to have.  We can rally together!

• reesie

Ok ladies, should I be nervous now? I've had a bumpy week cancer wise and have been a little down.

My DH has told me that he has a surprise for me. I'm to be ready to go at 12 and I can wear anything but bring a change of clothes for later (not necessaruly dressy but not jeans).

Apparently my kids are in on it because my DD is having a 3-dat fundraiset (candle show) and told me last night I might want to put my order together early so we won't be rushed during the show. Now I know it's because I won't be there.

Well, I'll let you ladies know later what the surprise is. Wish me luck lol.

• reesie

Oh, welcome FLpinkwarrier and justmejanis there's a great bunch of ladies here that can answer questions or just shoot the breeze with you as you need.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Marie, sounds like a water-park situation. Take a comb and make-up touch up stuff too!!!! Have a blast, wherever it is...!!

Welcome to the newbies!

• reesie

Lol Barbe if it's a waterpark my DH would have to be crazy. Having problems with my leg again and can't walk (stuck on crutches until after we fix it again). But he did say we're bringing the wheelchair just in case.

Well gotta get ready - for something lol.

• cmbear

Welcome to the newbies justmejanis and flpink!! Flpink--where in Florida? I'm in Orlando.

Reesie --- Ooh to be kidnapped!! How romantic!! Let loose and have fun!! I'm jealous I have to work all weekend!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Welcome FLpinkwarrior, the Oncotype Dx is for early stage, node negative (usually,) hormone positive cancers.  I am not sure how often they use it for Stage II.  Any doctor can order it.  They send some tissue to California and it takes 2-3 weeks to get results.  Ask your MO if you are a candidtate or not.

Also, welcome, justmejanis. I had my lumpectomy two years ago, in July, with pretty much the same treatment path you are on.  Hope your Onco score is nice and low.  I was borderline at 18, with a marginal benefit, so I did not have chemo.  Do you mean you tumor was 3mm?  If it was 3cm, that is usually Stage II.

reesie, I am in suspense now about where your DH is taking you.  Have fun!!!!