Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

tuckertwo - Thanks for sharing that info.  Please jump in anytime.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Well welcome to all the newbies. This is a great place to get answers or just vent.

Congrats Janis.

I'm glad you had a better experience last night Kay.

Unfortunately there's no way for me to find out about DES and my Mom because she's too far gone with Alzheimers. But I would say since I was born 11 months after her marriage and she had 5 kids that wasn't an issue with her.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    reesie, where you been, girl?  i've missed you!
  • LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

I was always happy because my mother refused the DES when she became pregnant with me after suffering a miscarriage. She wasn't comfortable taking it. Of course, I have the dern old cancer anyway....but some women have had it much worse than I.

• nancygv55
    nancygv55 Member Posts: 17
    Welcome newbies!  I was a newbie just a couple of weeks ago but have felt welcomed since the first time I posted.  Everyone here is willing to lend either a listening ear or good advice with some humor and fun thrown in.  Kay, I didn't really say you had to put your problems into perspective but that you had already done so by noticing the young boy in the wheelchair.  Perspective is a fluid thing and so you can be discouraged, mad, sad, whatever you want and need to be and that is your perspective.  That said, I do try to remember how good I have it even when I am irritated by something related to BC...and I truly have no reason to complain whatsoever.  But I do. Sometimes. Wink
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 87

Thanks for sharing. Often, DES exposure causes the vagina to exhibit a particular pattern that is what the doctors call 'mosiac'. If you are unsure of your exposure that is one way to possibly verify whether your mother took DES or not.

I hope you can share this info with your friends as well. We need to get the word out there for women!

tuckertwo

• reesie

I?e been here Jo. Ia'm beginniing to feel invisible though since everyone keeps looking for me even though I post lol. I'll probaby post more after the 18th cause I'll be home after surgery for two weeks. Finally getting the bmx and ooph.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Ressie were they able to set it up for the same day?  I hope so.  Im sure it would suck if you had to do one surgry then turn around to do another on.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Yeah, Reesie, did you get the 2 for 1 surgery special? 

Wow, wouldn't it be great if they slashed treatment prices during Pinktober?  I'd like to get a pink flyer about that!

• reesie

Yeah that's why it's the 18th instead of the 11th. I had alresdy decided to forgo the ooph and just keep getting the Lupron and wait for natural meno if I couldn't do both together. I'm excited and nervous.

Funny what gets me excited these days.

• Tuckertwo-Well that's something else to think about. I was the youngest of 4 and Mom had 3 misscarages between each of us. I had 1 misscarriage and that's when they found my cervical cancer when I was 30 and now this. My daughter has had 3 misscarriages and is 30 weeks pregnant with second live birth but has been hospitalised twice this pregnancy. My vaginal exam 2 weeks ago showed severe vaginal athropy. He said something about it shouldn't look that way at my age. I'll have to ask him about the "mosiac" look. This was the first time he has done a full vaginal and pap on me since I started seeing him. My RH was negitive and so was my inflamation test. Mom has Dementia and her 2 OB's have both past.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Barnyardkitty - One thing I learned from this whole festival of fun is an interesting truth about doctors: they are going to recommend what they know how to do. Often that's exactly what you need and want, but sometimes, it's not, especially in the case of breast surgeons and plastic surgeons. It's perfectly acceptable to get a second opinion, and usually breast cancer grows slowly enough that another week or two doesn't make a difference. Interestingly, in my case, both surgeons I consulted said the EXACT same thing (which was that perhaps lumpectomy would work, but if not, I'd need a mastectomy, and heck, if I wanted to, we could have them both off in one go). Even so, that was very reassuring, to have two independent doctors say the same thing. Good luck to you!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Barnyardkitty--Welcome!! Because your tumor is so close to the wall, did your docs suggest chemo first to shrink it so as to get better margins? I don't know if with your pathology, that is an option. It is worth asking. As for the insurance coverage, you are right, there are federal laws covering recon. Its also law to provide mastectomy bras and prosthetics. Mine even paid for my bathing suit foobs. Not the bathing suit-but the foobs!!

anyways, sorry I am late for your welcome party! I brought the cake. Sorry I refused to make a PINK hello kitty cake. Seen enough pink in the last few days! Plus I think this cat looks very mischevious. . . Wink

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Thank you EVERYONE for the warm welcome! And thank you cmblastic for the fabulous peacock cake! Love it!!! Wish I could eat real cake - (pout) - but BC aside, I have autoimmune thyroid issues (Hashimoto's) and am also gluten/dairy/egg/nut intolerant. I also have cut out sugar and artificial sweeteners for other reasons. I eat air, as my husband says!  Laughing 

Going to enjoy my birthday weekend before I face the music on Monday morning with the BRCA results and the retest of the HER2. No big plans. Today I am taking my MIL (who lives with us and just turned 86 - also had BC 10 years ago) for a hair trim. Whee. I work from home doing medical transcription and have plenty to do today. I have a 12-yo daughter who is my biggest supporter and a wonderful husband of 27 years who is strong and very caring when I feel (ahem) bitchy with all of this hurry up and wait.  

Hi barnyardkitty! I'm in GA too... 

Have a great day! 

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Hi Reesie!  Good to "see" you!  I'm glad that you are going to be able to get your twofer.  I am sure all will go well. 

Nancy, thanks for that comment of not having to put it in perspective.  I wasn't chastising you.  It is good sometimes to realize you may not like your situation, but there are certainly others in a worse situation.  Any way, I had a call back from the physical therapist.  They had a team meeting and decided they should wrap my arm and teach me to wrap it, so I can do that during radiation.  I was quite upset that it was just going to be left to get worse during radiation.  I feel much better about it now.

Welcome newbies!  I hope you keep coming, I like cake.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Welcome barnyard kitty this is a great place for support and information. 

Reeceie so glad you will get both things taken care of during your surgery.  Then maybe you will be finished with surgery for awhile.

Kay glad they are going to do something for your LE and not just let it get worse

Trying to get my work finished up here and then I am off to the MO for my three month visit.

• elimar

Way to advocate for yourself, kay1963!

madpeacock, On this thread we can enjoy and overindulge on virtual sweets and snacks and not gain an ounce.  Here, you go to the top of the thread and grab a snack bag of Cheetos, whenever you are in the mood.  We have a never-ending supply.  (They are gluten-free, but have some milk products in them, so if you can't have them IRL, just enjoy the orange-y slplendor while you are here.)

SAB, That commentator was full of it.  All I can say, if the amount of research money was monitored by the amount of "color scheme" it sure would appear that B/C was getting an abundance of it.  I think even the non-B/C population is suffering from the uber-pinkness, and it leads to a dumb comment like that one.  They don't know that it's only a comparative pittance of the pink profits that actually go to research.  They just don't know.

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123

Good luck Sherry, hoping for nothing but great news.

Yeah Kay, so glad they came up with a plan for you.

Madpeacock: Have a terrific birthday! 

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

If you check out the Komen Foundation's financial statement only about 21% of the money they collect goes to research anyway.

• nancygv55
    nancygv55 Member Posts: 17

Kay, I didn't feel at all chastised, I just didn't want you to think I was ordering you around Innocent

Just an FYI to everyone-there is a lovely fountain outside of the hospital where I go for radiation.  Guess what color the water is this month?  Yup, PINK.  I thought it was "sweet" at first but now am anxious for normal water...normal anything these days is terrific, right?  Have a great weekend one and all.

• jo1955

nancygv - What a nice idea in the beginning but I would get sick of looking at it after awhile.  I know someone had good intentions but enough is enough.

• janinnj
    janinnj Member Posts: 63

Kleenex-  I like your comment about the Doc recommending what they know the best.  That does seem to be the case in a lot of cases.  

Everyone have a great week-end.  We're off to scoop up my grandson and take hime to Wash DC to the Air and Space Museum.

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

Finally - couldn't get the darn pic to post!!   Here's this weekend's mystery pic.  Good Luck!

Happy Friday Everyone!!

Trish

• reesie

A piece of rope (clothing tie like on a hoodie)

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

shoe lace?

• elimar

That's a good one, prayrv!  Is it water coming out of a tap?

• jo1955

That is a good mystery pic - close up of a strand of hair?

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

a piece of thread of some kind.

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Firewire cable.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

sarn wrap!!!!