MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

gcarter, you'll be in our thoughts/prayers going thru' the reconstruction in 6 days. Remember the song "All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth?"  Well, in some ways this is not so different.  O.K., it's REALLY different in other ways, like it's not Santa, it a BS/PS; and you're getting one, not two; but other than that I hope you're gonna feel like SMILING once it is done.  So, have yourself a Merry Little Christmas (I'm just basing that on my own cup size...you might have a Bigger Christmas as the case may be.)

• gcarter
    gcarter Member Posts: 53

elimar

SOO cute. Made me smile.....:)

Gina

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Elimar, you are sooooooo funny~ Thanks for the smiles every day.

Joni

• ebann
    ebann Member Posts: 1,474

Well I am middle aged (46 in Jan) I was dx with IBC in 08. I am cancer free now for 6 months. I am a Triple Neg. and my recurrence rate is high. I did chemo for a year and radiation at the same time. My survival rate was 30%. I have proved IBC is not a death sentence.

I have a daughter who is 20 getting married in May. Thank God I am here to see her life. I am married to a wonderful man. Who is my soul mate, comforter, and so much more. I had a hard year. I believe in God and faith is something I stand by. Nice to meet all you ladies. Hope we can get to know one another. Oh yeah, had surgery two weeks ago. DIEP surgery. 8 hours surgery, 1 day in ICU and 5 days in the hospital. Doing good.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Clarification of the new mammogram screening age. Thought should share it with you.

Hi elimar ... Im visiting your thread again.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2009/12/03/panel_clarifies_mammogram_advice/

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

welcome, ebann.  And congratulations on your six month cancerversary!!!  Actually, it would be your 18 month cancercersary, huh.  My onc said you start counting from diagnosis. Glad you have fought hard to get to this point. 

Your TN sister,

Meece

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Only Elimar could find a smirking Santa smiley...

• elimar

seyla888, that article was not too mind-blowing...the USPSTF is doing some back-peddling, true, but same ol', same ol' for the Democrats and Republicans; and Otis Brawley (ACS.)  While Brawley does hold his line, every time, for annual screenings for all, it never leaves my mind that those screenings DO lead to more "unneccessary biopsies" and therefore keep those "big business" wheels of cancer Dx/treatment turning. 

The recent uproar over the new guidelines makes ME, just one person with an opinion, want better screening methods and treatments.  We have what we now have, and it's not saving ENOUGH lives. That is exactly what the studies of the 40-49 group is about.  So if mammos are not saving enough lives in that age group to be cost effective, then how 'bout we get some BETTER METHODS FOR SAVING THE LIVES OF WOMEN.  And hurry up about it, please!

Oh, and welcome, ebann, to our thread, where we have support, humor, opinion, and lusting over mythical men.  (We are great supporters of humorous, opinionated lusting!)

• carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135

I'm enjoying the "virtual man" thread very much.  I've been married for 25 years and have trained DH up right, so trading him in now is not an option (plus he's a keeper!).  Lucky us, we got to celebrate our 25th anniversary the night before my last chemo treatment in April.  Not quite the trip to Italy we had envisioned...

Anyway, I thought we might need a little food diversion, so my question to you all is "What is your favorite holiday goodie?"  There are so many, but I think mine is cranberry shortbread.  Yum!

• elimar

carolinachick,

I like (but have never made) a RUM CAKE.I had a great one last year.

Also like CRANBERRY CHEESECAKE BARS.  Made these already for T-Day.

To buy, I like the CHOCOLATE ORANGE that breaks into segments when you whack it on the counter.  I must have one of these each Christmas.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Love the Chocolate Orange! But it must be a DARK chocolate one.

I'm interested in the cranberry shortbread. Do you make it, or is it a product you found somewhere? I LOVE shortbread, and the addition of cranberries sounds yummy and seasonally appropriate.

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Welcome newbies. Glad that you've found the fun, supportive, upbeat, create-a-man, satirical, food centric, remember-when, encouragement thread.

We're here for ya!

ebann...... it seems to me that I remember you from the chatroom?? Could that be??? I know that I've seen your nick before -- around here somewhere? (I officially have swiss cheese brain syndrome, a lesser discussed side effect of Tamoxofin.)

Well gals. I finally got some retail therapy today and scratched the surface of some Christmas shopping. Haven't been out to my haunts in ages. I found several 'perfect' do-dahs that have me sitting here smiling.

Thinking about favorite holiday goodies is another smile producer. Does cookie dough count? (I'm not exactly a gourmand.)

xx00xx00xx00xx 

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154

Cookie dough, reminds me when I was a kid and my Mom used to make REAL donuts.  We'd come home from school to find some of the (raw) "holes" to eat.  Yikes.......Faith.......did I say that word that you tried to avoid on the beach.........Hahahahahaha.........

• Meece

Okay, ladies...where are the recipes for these goodies?  I plan on baking this weekend, and some of your suggestions sound yummy!!!

• elimar

I take my Tamoxifen 2 times a day.  The morning one is so easy to remember since I have it with my morning tea.  The evening one is so easy to forget.  Don't some of you take 20mg. just once a day? 

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

Welcome newbies, we are glad to have you.  We can be serious if need, but we have lots of fun.

I personally like pumpkin pie, or anything pumpkin.  I love to go to Starbucks and get their pumpkin bread.  I use to make it but I don't bake much any more.  Of course, since I live in Texas, we have to have our pecan pie.

I am not a pie baker either, so I just go to the store and buy them.  Saves time and money and you can usually eat them.

Have a good evening.

Juannelle

• elimar

The "New Guidelines" are OLD NEWS now.  If you care to follow the activity in Washington on this, they seem to have come to a decision on late Wednesday:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/OnCallPlusBreastCancerNews/senate-affirms-screening-mammography-40-year-olds/story?id=9243563

• carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135

Woo hoo!  So glad that women under 50 will still be advised to get screening mammograms.  Apparently somebody is listening to the uproar that the "New Guidelines" created!

Kleenex - I'll try to post the cranberry shortbread recipe when I get home.  It's basically the usual shortbread ingredients, with the addition of chopped dried cranberries.  I think they would be wonderful with a little orange peel mixed in as well or with the ends dipped in white or dark chocolate after they are bakedl.  Maybe there's an experimental baking project in my future this weekend...like my waistline needs that!

Happy Friday everyone!

• elimar

Nebraskagrandma, Marybe and moonbuddy, are you out there?   Hope all is well.  What's going on with you in the pre-holiday madness?  Hollah back!

p.s.  Meece, nice tree!

• queenlurker
    queenlurker Member Posts: 34

carolinachick-I buy orange flavored cranberries.  Delicious in hot ceral/oatmeal.  Any shortbread made with lots of butter , oh and throw in a few chopped almonds.  I think we burn more calories with the perfect man

•  Yes, I am out here.  Have been down in the basement stapling some material on the couch that goes with the material I am having cushions done in.....trying to save taking the entire thing to the upholstery shop.  I have not done one bit of Xmas decorating here, but have the tree up and the banister and mantel decorated at my Dad's house.  My husband is gone tonight and I am trying to make the most of my time.....it's a horrible thing to say, but I guess I am the only woman on here who does not think the D in front of husband stands for dear or darling....I can come up with a lot of D's , but  none terms of endearment. That is why I am doing the couch now, he isn't lying on it with the tv on full blast.  I love it when it is just me and the animals.  Am I terrible? 

• eph3_12

Marybe-no, you are not!  I kicked mine to the curb in '04 and haven't invited him back since!  DH would definitely not be defined as "Dear" or "Darling" at this house!

• sheila888
    My ex is defined as The Father Of My Children.Smile
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    You could always just call him your sperm donor...Tongue out
  • sheila888

barbe...one of my friends actually suggested that, but it was such a long time ago doesnt bother me anymore.

• elimar
    Marybe, you can go back over these many pages, and you will not find a DH mention in my posts either.  I have an H, he just doesn't get the D designation anymore.  Us women always get blasted for menopause, but he has been in full-blown male mid-life crisis (man-o-pause) for a few years now. I doubt I need to explain further.
  • Meece

I guess I am not one of the gang here.  But then again, I consider myself a newlywed with just four years of marriage.  DH got the D for dear on our first date, when he kissed me and my wig slipped, and he didn't say a thing, he took it in stride.

When I first showed him something that referred to him as DH he asked if it stood for D*** Head.  Nope, that was my ex.  

• eph3_12

Meece, that's wonderful.  Trust me, I wish it was different for me, but sometimes you just have to deal with what you're given.

• susan_CNY
    susan_CNY Member Posts: 64

I have been married 4 times, my DH and I were married a year when I was dx with colon cancer, a year later breast cancer,  this past summer another lumpectomy with tissue found to be benign, I cannot imagine any of my exes sticking by me this way, yes he has pissed me off a few times with comments, and yes he bought a Harley and a BMW convertible for his midlife crisis but he also bought me all the gear to go with it,( black leather was much more flattering in my 30s  haha ) but he includes me in his malepause and bought me an air conditioner and himself a quilt for my menopause, guess I am blessed after all !

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

That must have been SOME kiss Meece! Are you sure it wasn't sex in the front seat of the car that made your wig slip???? Embarassed

Susan, where the heck did you find FOUR men worth marrying? Undecided