MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jannokee
    jannokee Member Posts: 2

Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all of yous in my new Breast Cancer Family. I am just starting this process so I think I will get to know each of you very well in the near future. Its going to be a long ride, I am sure it will get bumpy, but I will have you all.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Welcome, jannokee.  Good luck with your journey.  You have a Happy Thanksgiving

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

I haven't seen the BS since I had my follow-up appt at about 2 weeks post lumpectomy last year. I haven't seen the Rad Onc since my last rads treatment in early November of last year (I was like you, Elimar: my skin did really well). I see the Med Onc (love her) OR her young, energetic, condescending PA every six months, and I have mammos prior to these appointments. These doctors were something of a team - they consulted on the different treatments along the way - but they've sort of handed me off as I've moved through the cycle. I see my Gyn yearly - he doesn't want me to have a hysterectomy, but he's pushing for tubal ligation because both of us are horrified by the idea of my 46 year old self becoming pregnant: Tamoxifen can apparently have some sort of hideous fertility-enhancing effect. Luckily, I have the best contraception available: B & B - Busy-ness and Bitchiness. In addition to which I have about five days of ovarian cysts mid-cycle as my poor ovaries try to whip up an egg, and then my period lasts for about a week, even though it only shows up every 44 days now. Yay me. I am not sure I have a PCP - I saw a random doctor three years ago when I had a sinus infection and my Gyn said he didn't do that part of the body. I suppose I need to find a good one; I'm in that age range where other things are likely to start acting up. The Med Onc and the Gyn both do clinical breast exams. Based on the fact that most of these professionals think I'll be fine for another 9 to 14 years, this seems to be adequate follow-up.

Welcome to those of you who just found us! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! We decided not to do the 16-hours-each-way road trip to see my family this year, so we are having a quiet celebration with a family from down the street.

I am thankful I have this group of wonderful women swirling in this bizarre vortex of life with me! Cancer was not a blessing, but you ladies certainly are!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Hello everyone, I have a question. I am 44 & pre-menapausal. I am 1/2 way through chemo ( 6 of 12- weekly treatments ) and I know one of the side effects of my chemo is full blown menapause. I usually go @ a week every 21 days or so. So far haven't had a period this month. Just wondering if anyone has ended up with full blown menapause as a side effect from their chemo?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Kleenex, why not just get your ovaries out if you're going through such crap? It's as easy as getting your tubes tied.....

Leisaparis, I didn't do chem, but if menapause is a side effect of the chemo you're on wouldn't you expect to stop your periods?

Happy Thanksgiving to all you late chicks. We had ours last month like a civilized country. Now y'all have to keep it "up" until after New Years! That's a long haul...

• Meece

Leisaparis,

I had AC and Taxol, and I was put into menopause while I was going through chemo.  It wasn't too many weeks after finishing chemo that my little visitor showed up again, except, she wanted to visit more frequently and stay longer.  I lived with her inconsiderate behavior for about 13-14 months and with my best hostess behavior, I had her kicked out.  I had the Novasure procedure and have not had a period now for 4 years.  My hormones still have their waves of pms type emotions, rise in libido etc., just not the inconvenience of entertaining that particular guest.  of everything I lost during chemo, my visitor was one that I washappy to see go.  Being TN, I am still concerned about how I will handle real menopause without hormones, but hopefully when I get to that point there will be someone here to help me through it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Barbe,

You should have frozen your leftovers and sent them down to me, then I could brag about my special imported Thankgiving meal and not have to cook either!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Hi ALL,  Happy Thanksgiving.  I'd stick around longer but I will have to watch the televised Macy's parade, especially if they are having a windy day in NYC.  That's when Underdog tries to get loose.  Remember the year Underdog got tangled on a light post?  The parade commentators stayed on it like it was the Hindenburg, part II. Oh my!

Given the recent turn of events, this year I am going to feel bad when I start carving the white meat off my turkey's BREAST.  I might have to attempt a mashed potato reconstruction.  Poor bird.  

• Somuch
    Somuch Member Posts: 21

Love reading all the posts. Happy Thanksgiving to All. Haven't noticed a mention of Rock Hudson as a part of the "man". Loved his look and was so disappointed to hear he was gay. Surprised

So much for the "you're lucky, it is DCIS and we caught it early". Well actually not early enough, after my 10/20/09 bi.mas. w/recon. they found .5 mm of ICS in two spots and it is HER+++. Now I will have a port, a year of Herceptin, and ECHO's every three months to look forward to. No chemo, which is a good thing. Anyone else just doing Herceptin?

I am very fortunate in my care. I go To Moffitt Cancer Center and it is a team approach in looking at treatment and scheduling. They give me copies of all my tests so I do have a record of what is going on. My Onc. has my blood checked each time I see him.  My iron is very low so he arranged for a transfusion of Iron and ordered a colonoscopy to be sure there is no internal bleeding. Now the conversation between the PS and Onc. is:  with the other treatment can I still go ahead with the final recon. (nips and some smoothing) in Feb?. My PCP has me come in every three months to check my physical and mental health and even calls periodically to check on me.

Oh, to relax. Reading fiction, watching my four cats and one dog play - dog is the same size as the cats - and taking walks around the neighborhood while listening to music.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...Have a healthy and family (even dogs and cats are family) filled day.

• queenlurker
    queenlurker Member Posts: 34

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  We all have so much to be thankful for.  My first T-day without surgery or chemo in 2 years.  Too funny about the breast Elimar-seems to me the reconstruction with the potatoes may need a lot of support, hopefully no lumps.  Have a wonderful day with family and friends-I know I will.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    ♥♥Sheila♥♥
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Elimar-good luck with the surgery!  Remember, the turkey will owe you for the procedure, regardless of the outcome!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Meece

Elimar,

Just remember symetry.  I, for one would be a horrible turkey reconstructionist, because I love to eat the crispy breast skin.  Conserve the skin, and re-fill with the mashed potatoes.  Truss the breasts closed and no-one will be the wiser.... It might be embarassing for a Tom-turkey though. 

• Meece

Hmmmmmmmmmmm mashed potato injections...

• PattiB
    PattiB Member Posts: 107

I think that is a great idea to check on the newly diagnosed threads.  I was diagnosed 12/18 and had my lumpectomy 1/13 after a bad mammo just prior to Thanksgiving last year.

I go to the Rena Rowan Breast Center that is part of the University of Pennsylvania Penn Medicine Perelman Center.  After my lumpectomy I saw my BS once for a follow-up 10 days later.  She did not need to see me until after chemo and rads in August.  At that time she said it was my decision to keep seeing her, and we decided I would see her annually - 1st mammo then appointment with her later that day.  My rads onc. also gave me the choice, but said I didn't need to but could always get an appoinment if a problem arises.  I am now seeing me Med onc. every 4-6 months.  Trying to scatter appoinment so I am checked approx. every 4 months.  I was seeing PCP for Gyno, etc but have not received any call from them since my mammo last year, and have decided to go to a Penn Gyno affiliated with Perelman cancer center, 1st appoinmtment will be next month.  I have also scheduled a new PCP in the Penn system and will see her in January.

Some of you may want to try this:  Penn and Livstrong have a link on the www.oncolink.org website.  They have developed the link for cancer survivors to have a careplan.  You put in your cancer info and it tells you late effects of your cancer treatment and SE's to be on the look out for.  My Penn BC practice is piloting "Survivor Appts" post active treatment.  The NP basically pulls this info from the site and will send it to your PCP so they are more aware of the kind of care you as their patient may need or be on the lookout for.  Anyone can go to the site and get this printout.  I did it prior to having my survivor appt. and except for having the NP explain the info to me and answer questions it was the same form.

Happy Thanksgiving all!!! 

• susan_CNY
    susan_CNY Member Posts: 64

Happy Thanksgiving to all, lets count our blessings ♥

• carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135

I've been out of town, so I have a lot of catching up to do.  Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!

• queenlurker
    queenlurker Member Posts: 34

good idea about the survivor link/appt.  Dreading my appt in Feb. Fired my breast surgeon one year ago and see onco every 6 months because I get soooo anxious.  Primary once per year and he hadn't even read the report from the onc-need to fire him too.  See plastics again soon and no rads.  Did Elimar really radiate her turkey??? 

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

We had a very blessed low key day yesterday.

Saturday will be our big gathering with "everybody" including the turkey & fixins.

Much love to everyone.

Welcome to our 'newbies' -- who are either just 'finding' us or just beginning to navigate these waters. You will find support & encouragement here.

xx00xx00xx00xx

• elimar

I'm sorry to say that my patient -- the turkey -- had to endure a unilateral Mx yesterday.  We did manage to spare the skin, but decided against the mashed potato reconstruction (filler material got devoured) and no foobie either (as the dinner rolls were all gone too.)  

My Thanksgiving was GREAT, because this year my mom was at our dinner table instead of in an ICU on life-support, eating her meal out of a bag througha PEG (stomach) tube.  Although this year didn't quite achieve perfection since I spent a lot of time struggling to pay rent and utilities, worrying about income tax, and briefly spent some time in Jail.  (Failed to get Park Place, had to mortgage Boardwalk, and was STILL forced into bankruptcy.)  

So did any of you venture forth at 3 a.m. this morning to catch the Black Friday deals?   (Certifiably insane people, feel free to respond, no one is judging you.)  

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322

No shopping for me, I was up at 4 am, but it was just the usual middle of the night bathroom trip followed quickly by a return to my nice warm bed.  Soundtrack was provided by the college age cousins sleepover that didn't include sleep until later in the morning.  I don't expect any of them to show their faces now until this afternoon. 

• Meece

Nope, I stayed tucked into my warm bed.  I can't think of anything I need or want that is worth that much time, and jamming up against hundreds of petri dishes carrying who knows what viruses and bacteria.  Or, risk the chance of having my newly stitched up breasts bumped into or crushed between unruly shoppers.

Christmas will be small and meanigful this year.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

elimar--great description of the turkey's "journey"! 

I don't go out for Black Friday, I really, really do not like big crowds.  My mother and SIL LOVE Blake Friday shopping, so if I really want something I get them to pick it up for me.  This year I've decided to de-stress Christmas.  I love Christmas get togethers, especially with family, and hate Christmas shopping, so this year I'm going to cook for the get togethers, put a limit of $20 on the few gifts I will buy, one gift per family and that will probably be baked goods.  I am going to NOT run myself ragged this year and the rest of the family can just cope.  Nobody in the family needs anything, and the gift giving has become a real struggle for everyone.  If I make the first move to change the way we do things I'm betting the rest of the family will follow.  I can even guess who will take credit for starting the trend NEXT Christmas!  Gotta love family!

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Well thank goodness I didn't get a chance to check in yesterday! I would've been snickering as my husband performed the procedures on the turkey, and there would be no way to explain: I have already tried to make breast cancer topics "funny" to those who don't live in CancerLand, and they never get it. So sorry about your turkey, Elimar: perhaps she'll be okay with just a prosthetic... Sounds like you're about as good at Monopoly as I am. We played "Scattergories," and I was masterful. Nothing like bits of three desserts to ramp up the endorphins and, in turn, the "random word generator" section of my brain.

I WAS going to go out on Black Friday to get a new washer and dryer (Sears), but last Sunday I stumbled upon a secret invitation-only sale at Sears, and for $100 more than the Black Friday price (still 47% off), I purchased appliances like a normal person, during standard business hours.

Barbe - I'm a "less is more" kinda gal with regards to surgery, so I'm good with keeping the ovaries for now. Somehow, I don't think whipping them out would do anything positive for my libido, anyway. I've got a "cycle," wacky as it is, and I'm good with that. Obviously, if they HAVE to go, out they'll go, but for now, I'm letting them do as much of their thing as the Tamoxifen allows them to...

NativeMariner - way to go on setting things straight with Christmas! I love how as we get older, we get more "powerful."

Meece - loved the story of "The Eviction of a Badly Behaved Guest."

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    So...that's like the chicken dance....only different......right?  Tongue out
  • nativemainer

LOL!!!!!!

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

Just dropping in to say Hello.  Have had a really busy weekend and am just now settling back into my routines.  Lots of leftovers to eat and am sure that my DH and I can not finish them all, so I guess I will pack some up in the freezer tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a restful Sunday.

Juannelle

• nativemainer

The biggest thing I miss about not having Thanksgiving dinner at my house is the bountiful supply of leftovers that I would put up in the freezer in various combinations--turkey meat for casseroles or sandwiches, turkey rice soup made, individual serviing sizes of carrots and squach, rolls to thaw out to grill for breakfasts, . . .  Funny, there was never any stuffing or gravy left over.  Hosting Thanksgiving dinner when you live alone is a great way to cut down on the amount of cooking you have to do through the rest of the holiday season! 

Greetings to all on the first Sunday of Advent.  I wish everyone a happy, peaceful and renewing day.

• elimar

Thanksgiving made me tired.  Or is that the Tamox. kicking in?  The trouble with the Tamox. is that I can't really tell if I am getting side effects yet or not...moody, tired during day, coming awake at night, achy joints...that's me from the get-go.  On the Tamox. thread (or maybe another one) they were writing about vision changes.  That's happening in my middle age anyway, plus I get that bluriness when I'm staring at a computer screen too long, so it's hard to tell what is causing what.