Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Hope everyone has a special Valentine's Day and someone makes YOU feel special! 

Last week my DH surprised me with dance lessons - just for fun. This is from the guy with two left feet, no rhythm, and tone deaf. He can move like Roger Federer on the tennis court, but on the dance floor - not so much. So, tonight is lesson #2. Our instructor is this tiny, petite girl from Bulgaria who moves with such grace and makes me feel like a water buffalo. I'm tall and slim, but have broad shoulders, etc., so...

A friend's mother passed unexpectedly yesterday, so we'll go by the funeral home on the way to dance tonight. She had BC years ago, but had so many other health problems that I don't even know what caused her death.

My ultrasound is tomorrow morning to find out what they saw on the mammo last week, so I would really appreciate anyone who can jump in my pockets tomorrow!! There will be candy!! Not feeling too good about this, but we'll see what we see.  

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

My real Valentine to you all is the pic at the top, but this was to funny to pass up.  Copy away.

(Rating:  PG.  No actual dog-butt being shown.)

• elimar
    madp,  Candy?  O.K., I'm in.  Seriously, hope they find it's something with a soft (creme-filled) center, like a bon-bon.  That wasn't really serious, was it?  
  • KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Madp, I'll hold your hand while you hold mine tomorrow morning.  I have my first mamo since diagnosis and I'm a little anxious about the results since hearing your switched up news. I don't know if I will get results right away so it's the waiting game again. UGH!  Kitty

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Gotta admit...took me a minute to find the "heart" in the cat butt picture. Was wondering if e finally lost it.

Momine, in my world trysting and thrusting still go together. Who told you otherwise? They were lying.

I will be in anyones pocket that needs it!! I SWEAR that is what helped me sail through my recent surgery. Honestly!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

claire glad to have you back.  Been wondering where you were.

Barb really it is OK, I understand what he is saying and he is not the first Dr to tell me this.  I broke my neck in 1995.  Had four breaks in 3 vertebrae (C5, C6 &C7) and they fused two of them(6 &7) with plates and screws. I also have a bulging disk between C5 & C6.  And a pinched nerve somewhere in there.  They want me to use pain pills first and when it gets to a point that no longer works then we will probably try cortisone shots.  My MO is also in to alternative health care so he has encouraged me to use acupuncture and Chiropractor as well.   The good news is I think the Chiropractor is working and I was able to stop taking the hydrocodone over the weekend and just take Tylenol. 

Madpeacock and kittygirl I'll be in your pockets

• barbe1958

Sherry, are you taking advantage of accupuncture as well? That could possibly help.... I would think a Chiropractor would be terrified of working on your neck!!

Cortisone shots aren't the worst thing you could use. Why are they so against them? What about nerve blocks? I had them and they worked for a bit. Then there are epidurals you could get. I've had 2 in my neck and 3 in my lower spine. I just can't understand a doc that prefers pain meds over a more permanent treatment.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Claire, very nice to have you back! I have a mammo tomorrow too, but will definitely be in your pocket for the us mad peacock.

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

I was 43 when I was first diagnosed with DCIS and LCIS. Now I will be 51 in a week and was just diagnosed with an invasive cancer on the other breast. I still am having a hard time believing this is happening. I didn't feel sick or have any other symptoms. I still have a 12 yr old at home and am a single mom so it is hard. I just lost my dad at Christmas and he was my best support system. I have been feeling so alone and isolated. I am glad I found this site even if it's just to read so I don't feel like I am the only one out there going through this. Everyone says, "you will be fine. You are strong." Too be honest, some days I just want to cry in my beer (if I actually drank beer)

• elimar
    Welcome, Dianarose!  I'm sure you have vivid memories or your first round with B/C, so there really was no need to repeat again, was there?  Bummer.  I guess you know the drill, but let us know if you have any questions this time around.  Did you have lumpectomy the first time?  Will you have that again, or now go with Mx?  Sorry your dad has passed.  Lots of B/C Sisters here, tho', and some are not first timers either.  You are not alone.
  • barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Welcome Dinarose - Sorry that you are "back in the saddle". Feel free to cry, vent, scream if needed. You will also find that the wonderful support here will have you smiling, laughing and sometimes even blushing.Embarassed  The women here are terrific!

Best of luck to all who are undergoing tests tomorrow - madpeacock, Kittygirl, Kay1963. Going to be a busy pp day!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Dinarose....Welcome to the forum.  You will find a wealth of friendship, support, and of course information here.  Never hesitate to ask any question.  We are here to help!

Claire.....I was really getting worried about you.  You missed a lot of pocket parties, but i totally understand your taking a vacation from BC.  So good to see you again!

For everyone undergoing procedures...I will always be in your pocket.  Barbe...I am so glad that things went easier for you knowing we were all rallying for you.  You bet you were never alone!

I finally start LE therapy on Feb. 21st.  This Trucal LE is different and I am not sure what kind of compression garments I may have to wear.  I had to apply for financial assistance for them, there is absolutely no money to pay for them.  Very frustrating but hoping I can get what I need.

Have a wonderful evening my friends.  Love and hugs all around!

• Dianarose

Elimar, I did have a lumpectomy with the traditonal 33 rounds of radiation. I had never heard of mammosite radiation until now. I wish I had known about it then. I am finding out the hard way that the doctors really don't tell you all of your options. I didn't know about skin sparing either and the oncologist and the surgeon never told me that was an option. I am a bit angry now. I have been told that they can not do any reconstruction on the radiated side. I have since got rid of that surgeon and have an appointment with a different one and a new ps next week. I have to have one more biopsy to see if the calcifications in another area are b9 or not and then schedule what needs to be done after that. I have been dealing with this since the beginning of Sept. so I am tired of it already. Thanks to all for you kind words. It means the world to me.

• Sherryc

Barb I am also doing accupucture.  The chiro does not do the traditional stuff on me because of my neck.  But my back seems to get out of wack an he is keeping that in line so it does not pull on my neck.  If I can just stay off the pain meds I can deal with it.  It does seem to be a bit better right now.

Dianarose welcome to our group.  We are all here for you when you need us.  Glad you got rid of that surgeon.  If you think you may want reconstruction please go see a PS.  I had radiation a little over a year ago and will be having a BMX the end of March and will be having reconstruction.  Yes there is a highter failure rate but like my PS said we won't know unless we try, he is even going to try to save my radiated nipple which everyone else told me it had to go.  Here again he said how will we know if we don't try.  So I am game of the trying.  Keep us posted.

• Dianarose

Sherry, is your ps going to save your skin on the radiated side? Another thing I am finding out is it does matter where you live. I live in Maine and I think we are a little behind here. I am determined to keep searching though. Good luck to you. I like your way of thinking. Also has anyone had a direct implant without having to have the expander. I am maybe a b- on a good day and don't see the need to go larger, so I didn't think the expander would be needed, but the ps I saw 2 weeks ago said she would not do it without.

• Sherryc

Diana yes my PS is saving everything on my radiated side.  He said that if my nipple does not survive we will know it while I am in the hospital and will deal with it. But yes I am having TE's.  I am an A and will be trying for a B.  He feels that it is doable because we are not trying to go very large.  He said if I wanted to go large he would be hesitate about it. Also when the time comes by implant exchange he will be doing fat grafting which is suppose to really help soften up the radiated tissue.

• Dianarose

Sherry, can you explain the fat grafting for me? Although BC isn't new to me, a lot of other stuff is. Thanks for your help. I guess I didn't see the need for the TE for me because I didn't want to go any bigger.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Welcome Dianarose.  The gals around here are the best.  They are so very understanding and helpful.  If ever you need anything just come here.  Someone around here is always willing to lend and ear.  Good luck!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

Welcome Dianarose. Hate that you didn't know all your options as I feel the skin sparing & nipple sparing surgery definitely helped get me thru this with my sanity intact. Hope your new team can give you the options to which you feel are best for you.

Count me in on the any & all pocket parties as I will always be here for my sisters and never miss a good party... (provided it isn't past my bedtime....lol)

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Sherry-I would love to get your feedback after acupuncture.  I am officially on the bad back train after an MRI this week.  Bone scan on the 28th to make sure it's just a herniated disc. If all goes well I will have to make some decisions about pain management.

Hi Dianarose.  I read more than I write on this thread, but will be rooting for you! 

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Welcome Dianarose. My heart is breaking for you. We are here for you!

madpeacock, Kittygirl, Kay1963- I'll be in all your pockets. Hugs.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Ok ladies bring all your extra Valentines's candy and hop on the pocket party train. i have some leftovers too

My DH knows not to buy me chocolate so I had make my own chocolate treat.And here's to boring routine mammos Kitty and Kay. MadP, I'm praying your docs are just being overly cautious and all is fine.

Welcome Dianarose. Don't ever feel alone. This is a safe place with a lot of women who "get it" and will listen and hug and offer advice. There are other forums that you can search for some of your answers too.(((((((HUGS))))))))) 

• Dianarose

Thanks again to ALL of you. I came across this site in my search for answers and I am wondering if anyone knows about this. www.laserbreastcancersurgery.com

It just seems to easy to be true. In the video the women has a lumpectomy in 11 minutes using a laser instead of the knife.

• barbe1958

Diana, the radiation would have caused your skin to change and shrink somewhat, as well as the skin that was removed during surgery. Therefore, you dont' have the same amount of skin to just place an implant in. I have heard of many, many success stories on women having reconstruction on radiated skin!! Do searches on this forum (top right corner) to find thread where they talk about this specifically. It can be attempted and you may be one of the many lucky ones.

• Dianarose

cmblastic- Your strawberries look wonderful. I work as a pastry chef and I don't normally eat any sweets, but I have to confess with all the stress lately I have been eating a lot of sweets and everything else. I just justify it with the fact that the strawberries are good for you and I get my protein from all the stuff with nuts. Too bad you are not in Maine, I could use an assistant this coming summer.

• Dianarose

Hi Barbe 1958- The ps surgeon that I saw wants to use an expander on the side that didn't have radiation. The side that was radiated was over 7 yrs ago. Now the right side decided to hop on the train. They know that it is invasive verses DCIS which I had on the left side. I am having another biopsy on the 23rd to see in the calcifications are DCIS or b9 that are about an inch away from the site that is cancerous. I hate to go through another biopsy, but it will tell me if I can choose between a lumpectomy with mammosite or not. If I can't do the lumpectomy I just wanted to have a small implant put in at the same time of surgery without the use of the expander. She said no because 50% of her patients end up coming back. Her way is 100% coming back. I was willing to take my chances but she said no. It's not like I make a living with them. I just wanted a little to fill my bra. There are limited doctors in Maine. I am seeing another ps on 3/1. 

• barbe1958

What does she mean 50/100% come back? If they don't come back, does that mean everything went great??

• Dianarose

She said 50% come back because they are not happy with the results and the other half is happy with the results.

• barbe1958

Okay, but then she said 100% coming back is "her way". What did she mean by that?

• Dianarose

Having the expander put in instead of directly putting an implant in at the time of surgery would mean coming back months later for the exchange for another surgery which she said would take an hour and a half. I know someone who had a mastectomy a yr ago and had her implants put in at the same time without the expander and she is happy so far. She is also a size 40. She is out of state an my insurance won't cover if I were to use her ps.