Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Good to hear that you are doing well Barbe. Rest up and get well. Sending healing thoughts your way. Fingers also crossed for B9 results.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    barbe, HOORAY for good news!
  • I'm so glad that you're doing well and back home barbe! Now praying for B9 results. =)
  • odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

Barbe - Glad to hear you sailed thru surgery and are now home resting... Keeping my fingers crossed for B9 news.... 

• ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97

Thinking of all of My Middles! Hope all is well with all of you!

Wanted to share this with my Pink Sisters!

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}} Gina

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Very true, ReginaR!  Good to hear from you.
  • fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045

Well, Well, Well..... guess who is back and going to be lurking in real time now, E!!  Just caught up (at least 50 pages - or more!).  Took me since early January!! 

Glad to see that Barbe is doing well.  Congrats to many!!  Glad everyone is doing fairly well.  Welcome to the many Many Newbies since I have been awol.... so sorry you have to join the fight!  Also wondering where cmblastic is....

This thread is able to make you laugh, even when the last thing you want to do is laugh!!  Thanks, E, for starting this thread and for continually coming up with hilarious posts that put smiles on many faces!  Glad I have read every page of this thread (even though I can't remember specifics!).

So......... I will now don my cloak of invisibility.... and lurk on!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Going to see my new grandbabies this weekend. Can't wait to cuddle on those two new little ones.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Aw Sherry - That is going to be so fun.  Enjoy every cuddle and hug.

• elimar

fmakj,  You are one dedicated Middie!  There aren't many that are able to say they have read every page of this thread, and even fewer will actually admit it.  Hope life is treating you well and you can drop in here anytime, although invisibility does look good on you!  

Sherryc,  Will hope to see a pic with one of those baby girls in each of your arms.  Don't forget to tickle one and see if the other one laughs, to see if they have that psychic twin thing going on.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Sherry, you win hands down. But...I get to see all my peeps this weekend ... dd and future sil coming for idnner tomorrow, then other dd and sil coming with my grandpuppy whom I adore on sunday for a quick visit on their way home from sil's parents. i love weekends :)

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Haven't checked in in a while. Hope all is well with everyone. Unlike fmakj, I am NOT going back to read the multitude of posts I've missed - no time. I only have the time to be on here now because I woke up at 3 a.m. and couldn't fall back to sleep.

I'm having arthroscopic knee surgery on Tuesday, so I'll be home most of next week. The following week is school vacation, so I have that week off as well. I'm hoping to check in more frequently, at least during the next couple of weeks.

I miss you gals.

Lynda

• elimar

Hi Hauntie,  Sorry insomnia was getting the better of you last night.  Maybe some pre-surgery anxiety thrown in too?   Good Luck on Tues. and you're welcome to spend some of your recuperation time here.  Will you be on crutches for a while?

To all expecting visitors this weekend...enjoy!  It has been interesting that some of you became first-time Grandma's since you joined here.  The excitement could definitely be felt.  Not quite there yet myself...don't rush me. 

• elimar

I'm not ranting here, but I do have some commentary...

With B/C, we all try to find that place of "new normal."  Well, on a good day, I can even find my "old normal" from before B/C.  However, what bugs me are the middle-aged aches and pains (things like osteo-arthritis, etc.) and random health issues that are just signs of the body's degeneration.  Aging.  There's no reversing the hands of time.  Sometimes it is depressing to think that my current "normal" can't come near the health I enjoyed in my 30's.  Most days, I don't mind being middle-aged, but I am having one of those days where it is making me mopey.  

I know the mood will pass.  Just writing it down for those that can relate.

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Well, I'm bummed. 

Went for my diagnostic mammo on the "bad" side on Tuesday. I'm six months out from diagnosis. Had to wait for the radiologist to read it, and the tech came back and told me that all they saw were postsurgical/postradiation changes, as to be expected. So, I left thinking, whew! All was well!

Got a letter from the imaging center yesterday that says my mammo "shows the need for further evaluation" and I need an ultrasound. Great. This is exactly how this whole mess started the first time. And of course my BS office is closed on Friday afternoons so I couldn't even call and get the US scheduled.

I'm sure they just need to get a closer look at the fluid, lumps, and bumps from all the biopsies, surgery, rads, etc., but it still bugs me - a lot.  I'm not scared about it, strangely enough - just really annoyed that I have to think about all this again.

Elimar - I know how you feel. I just want to move on and enjoy my life, but "they" won't let me! 

Really windy and cold this weekend here - winter came back. Off to run errands and do normal things.  And maybe sulk a little bit.

• elimar
    madp,  I hear ya.  At least it does not involve more squishing.  I kind of like the ultrasound procedure (if the gel is warmed up, naturally!)  But you can't feel too "normal" when you have that appt. looming ahead of you, I know.  I guess the upside (when they tell you all is well) is that you will know they scrutinized you thoroughly.  All's well that ends well!
  • jo1955

Eli - I know too well those middle aged aches and pains.  Just when I thought I was leveling out and really getting back to some sense of normal, I am now having to deal with a probable pinching nerve in my spine.  I had an MRI on Thurs - which I had a panic attack - results to come on Tues.  I sure hope this is an easy fix.  I am trying to focus on doing some recon on my severely dimpled BC boob - leftovers from the lumpectomy.  I swear, if it is not one thing, it is another. 

madpeacock.  Like Elimar said, at least it is not squishing this time.  I am crossing my fingers for B( results - let's just hope this is to clarify the lumps, bumps, and fluid from first surgery. 

• elimar

jo,  That is what makes me disgruntled sometimes...the seeming inability to make headway with these ongoing middle-aged health issues!  Bleeeech!

P.S.  And I am writing this from a perspective of someone who comes up "healthy on paper" most of the time.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Well, I relate to the middle aged health issues whole heartedly. But it's always better to be above ground! 

Had my normal hair trim appt yesterday.  I've been discussing my eyebrow situation with my haircutter for several months now.  Since chemo, my eyebrows never did come back in like they were before (altho all other hair has made a tremendous come-back) and the brows that were there were sporadic & so white they weren't visible.  It's bugged the hell out of me because my face doesn't look "finished".  I've never been a make-up person & tho I took the "Look Good Feel Beautiful" class sponsered by ACS, I never got the hang of drawing eyebrows.  So yesterday, I had some extra time before my haircut, so I went in early, she & I discussed it & I did it!  I am no longer a waxing virgin! She waxed my non-existant, widely scattered brow hair & lightly dyed the remaining row or 2.  I have eyebrows.  I was so excited.  Met up with my mom & DD later--neither said anything.  I finally pointed it out to them; they seemed to think that my unhappiness re: the brows was all me & that no one else noticed!  Oh Well!

My main thing that I learned from the whole experience is HOW THE HELL CAN THOSE OF YOU WHO DO BIKINI WAXING DO IT!!!!?????!!!!!!??????  Tears sprang involuntarily out of my eyes when she was ripping that wax off! Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20

Sorry ladies, have not been on in months. Slipped into a deep depression, after having te removed and all the complications. I am ready now to move on to the next step and have the te put back in. Hoping it is better the second time around. Hope all are doing well and god bless.

• elimar

carol6026,  I congratulate you for reaching your one year out milestone, but so sorry you could not have moved further along with your recon. already.  May your patience be rewarded.

That's what we were mentioning today, that feeling of going two steps forward, one step back; or worse...one step forward, two steps back.  I want to be done with nagging and lingering complaints, and be free of them for a while.  As a middle-aged woman, is that asking too much?

• jo1955

Eli - I am with you and no it is not too much to ask.

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266

Hi Ladies, Am home recovering from a partial MX. 4 hr surgery and 1 night in the hosp. Drain is not to bad, but the burning in my upper back on the surg side is bad if I move. I believe this is from teh node removal.. Waiting on the final path to see if any more sugery is needed.. but surgeon was confident..

• elimar
    Hey, Lori48!  Have been waiting for you to check in.  Would not be surprised if the pain is coming from the node removal.  The nerves in that area can get aggitated and refer pain down the arm or around to the back.  Sorry to say it can last for days, maybe even a couple weeks, but if it causes too much trouble or does not seem to improve over time, let your doc know.  Will hope you are all done with surgery and get to move another step forward.
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Eph, I had to laugh at your post. I have frequently wondered about the bikini wax issue!! I get my eyebrows waxed every couple months so I've kind of gotten used t the feeling but no way in he** can I imagine getting a bikini wax! Luckily for me, there's not  much chance I'll ever be in a bikini again so it's kind of a moot point, but still :)

Middle aged aches/pains/problems ... I think what I hate most is the fact that the creaking knees and aching back remind me that I am NOT 25 anymore. I swear, mentally I can be in my twenties in a heartbeat, so that smack of reality I get with bad joints just ticks me off no end!

Lory, I hope things go well for you this time around, and I'm glad you're back on the boards. Depression is one of the most debilating illnesses around and stll so misunderstood. Hugs to you.

Madp, I would be bummed about that too. I've had a couple times where they wanted a follow-up u/s but they always told me that right away while I was still there, so I'd just go in immediately and get it done. No fair sending you home with a good report and then sending a letter. There should be rules about this dammit!!! Looking forward to hearing your sigh of relief when they tell you everything is fine.

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497

i was thinking a few days ago that i really am in pretty good shape at 58 (forget about BC for a minute!) til it dawned on me that 58 is almost 60-crap! i am NOT that old!!!!!!! i don't FEEL 58....

sorry-no relevance to much-just had to pipe in..having one of those days where i have no control over what is coming outta my mouth!

• elimar

Exactly, marlegal!  My mental age and my physical age have a great wide chasm between them, and the leap to reality is always jarring.

(Use imagination to picture mid-age woman instead.)

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Of interest...

The Miraculous NASA Breakthrough That Could Save Millions of Lives

http://gizmodo.com/5882725/the-miraculous-nasa-breakthrough-that-could-save-millions-of-lives

• elimar
    Ceeztheday,  Despite the headline that sounds like it came straight from an informercial, the article and technology were interesting.   Probably will be a while before it filters down to the average patient.  I wonder what kind of cost is attached to it?
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Joni, you NEED a new avatar now!!!!!