Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154

Did Barbe1958 leave anyone as a contact to let us know how she is doing?  I guess I should have asked this question before today.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Hi Ladies. I would love to follow those of you who are on Facebook. Please PM me with your Facebook name and I'll friend request you. Thanks!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Lory48,  I seem to remember getting a little shot of local anesthesia before the wire went in.  I know I did not feel it.  I could SEE it, but I could not feel it.  The end inside of you has micro-minnow-size hook to hold in place.  Honestly, it seems like a weird procedure, because it IS, but it is nothing to worry about.  If anything, it justs gives you a little something to do while you wait to get into surgery.  (You know, surgery scheduled for 10 a.m., but you are still waiting at 1:30 p.m.  I made sure to take the funniest family member to pass the time.)   Good Luck to you on Weds.!
  • Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Saw a gyn today. She removed two polyps from my uterus. She's 99.9% sure they're benign. Apparently tamoxifen causes them. Now I have to get an ultrasound of my uterus. Oh joy. Why can't I just get hot flashes like everyone else?

Barbe, hope you're feeling well and recovering. Hugs.

Prayrv, whether you were for or against the komen thing doesn't matter. Your comment was innocuous. That other poster was out of line. IMO

• elimar
    Sharon50,  I don't think we will know until she posts again.  Like I just wrote in my post to Lory, even when you are scheduled for an a.m. surgery, sometimes it is hours later til you actually get in.  Hope Barbe is sitting up eating her ice cream by now.  Or is that tonsilectomies only? 
  • elimar
    kay1963,  Good riddance to bad polyps, but be careful what you wish for.  Tongue out
  • Ceeztheday

kay- Fingers crossed for B9!!!!!!!!!!

Barbe- Thinking of you.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Hope Barb is OK

Kay hopeing for B9

Welcome newbies the lump was not too bad.  They did a local for my wire insertion.  It was not all that bad but the mammos' to make sure it was lined up seemed to take forever and they would not let me move until they got good films.

Cheeze my BS did not give me options either.  If she had I would have choosen BMX and no rads as it was hard on me as well.  Since having another scare I am going for the BMX anyway.  I am currently scheduled for March 26 and will have TE placement for reconstruction. It should be against the law for Dr's not to give you all your options.  But I was like you scared and did not know what to ask and she rushed me into surgery really fast. My head was spinning.

• Ceeztheday

Sherry- I know, what is that about. How hard is it to give options. Geez. So sorry that more surgery is needed. I will be thinking of you. March 26 will probably be here before we know it. Seems like 2012 is flying by.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Lory, as for losing weight before rads, screw them! If any doc says that to you again, ask them when the last time was they were dealing with cancer, and whether they gave a crap about their weight at that point. I was told the important thing was that my weight NOT change during rads, because when they do your initial workup before you start, they measure/calibrate everything based on your weight that very day. You focus on keeping a positive attitude, and eating healthy. Calorie counting, if ever necessary, can wait a few more weeks. And I agree about the guide wire, it was not painful, I just kept looking at the end that was outside thinking it was weird!

Kay, I had issues when on Tamox too ... are they recommending the transvaginal ultrasound? That's the one where they insert a prod type wand. I had a couple of them - not something I'd line up for again, but basically just felt like a speculum except it stayed in longer. At the end of the day I had a D&C for a good cleanout and have been fine since. Have also been off Tamox now for a couple years.

Looking forward to seeing a good post from or about Barbe tomorrow.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Ladies I just got off the phone with Barb's husband.All went well.She even had a meal this evening.They will keep her in another day or 2 but he is going to hookup her internet tomorrow.Smile
  • Ceeztheday

mumayan- Good news. Thanks for the info.

• Marple

Thanks Mum.  I'm so glad you have been in touch with her DH and let us know. 

Here's to a quick and easy recovery. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Mumayan...Oh that is wonderful news!  I am so glad that she had a good evening.  Thanks for letting us know!

Marlegal.......I am with you on that vaginal ultrasound.  UGH.  I had one before my hysterectomy years ago.  I would rather eat dirt.....it just felt...wrong?  LOL. 

Kay...all the best, I will be thinking of you!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Glad to hear surgery went well for Barbe. Hope she is home soon and able to recover quickly.

Welcome Karen3 - lots of helpful info here as well as encouragement, support, fun and laughter.

kay1963 - fingers crossed for B9 results for you! 

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Mum - Thanks for the update.  So glad to hear everything went well.

• elimar

Barbe,  Glad the surgery went smoothly.  Hope the healing is quick.

• Sherryc

Mum thanks so much for the update on Barb

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Thanks mum for the update.

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

ahhhh - sigh of relief - thanks

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266

Thanks you all for the well wishes and guide wire info. Marlegal.. I totally agree about the weight.. all I am trying to do is get more active; chemo left me soo tired and anemic..Just taking one day at a time!

• Marple

No word yet from Barbe?  I hope it's because she too busy healing and DH simply didn't get her computer going.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Barbs is home and doing very well.

• Marple

Oh gosh, that's good to hear Chrissy.  Thank you for posting the news.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I am SO sorry!!! I swore I posted on this thread to let you all know. Only a couple of threads knew I was going in. I did SO good!!!! Drank tons of fluids, got up to pee, and used the O2 while in bed. My blood work kept coming back great and I felt wonderful!! I am SO paranoid about getting MRSA or something worse (remember, I got the flu when I went in for my pre-op!) that I was thrilled to be allowed to come home!!! No drain, no drama, just textbook clean!!

I had 3 tumours taken out, the largest about an inch. Last time it was the size of the surgeons hand so we knew it would be benign. This time...? I get pathology on the 17th. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes!! I KNOW that is what made me do SO good!!!!

• Marple

Wow!!  Way to go Barbe.  Good to see you back.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Barbe....I am so happy to hear that everything went so well.  Thrilled that you are out of the hospital and feeling so good.  Whew!  In this house there are tons of fingers and paws crossed for a good pathology report for you!

Just take it easy and take good care.  Gentle healing hugs!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Good to see you made it thru ok Barbe.  I know how worried you were.  Get lots of rest.

• Sherryc

Barb so glad you are doing well and back on the boards. Now just praying for B9 results.

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Wonderful news Barbe!  Now lets hope for the best news of B9.