Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467

Jeannie we will be with you tomorrow holding your hand!! always remember that.

hugs

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Jeannie, Will be in your pocket tomorrow rocking out your first TX. We will try to be quiet if you fall asleep from those goofy drugs. Ok maybe not. Sometimes the conga lines get out of control. I'm headed to Daytona tomorrow for the weekend so count me in for the margaritas! And have to bring our old bud the cabana boy. . . .

BTW see me in the rocking bod on the right?? I mean far right, with the purple bathing suit? Wait, what do you mean they cropped me out!!  

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Jeannie- I have been thinking about you all day. I will be in your pocket with ice chips and water.

My daughter called from NC and thought her water had broke in the night while she was sleeping. She went to the doctors and got checked. Poor thing, she was so exhausted from working 12 hour shifts ( She is and emergency room RN) that she slept through the nightly pee call and it was not her water after all. She has nine weeks to go. This will be my 5th granddaughter Lydia Grace.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Jeanie will be in your pocket tomorrow. 

We are heading to DS this weekend so won't be on much if at all

• candie1971

Diana...how wonderful, your 5th granddaughter!! I think grandkids are best of life!

Jeanie, one thing I forgot to mention. Make sure you eat an icepop (that's what they gave us at my cancer center) or ice chips when they give you the infusion.....it helps eliminate mouth sores..I didn't get any!

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Candie1971- are there foods Jeannie and I need to avoid? I read that eating Salmon and the dark meat of turkey helps build up your white blood count.

I am so hoping I keep my hair. Does CMF give you skin discoloration or nail problems. I have read on other chemo posts that woman were icing there fingers during chemo.

My daughter has been getting mammograms since her mid 20's and she had the doctors in NC get all her reports. The last one said her breast tissue had become so dense it would be hard to spot anything. I am so glad she is going ahead with the BMX after she has the baby.

• candie1971

Hi Diana, I did not avoid any foods. I ate what I wanted when I wanted. I did not lose all my hair. I would say only about 50-60 percent. It got very thin but it covered my scalp. My hair came in a little different than it had been. I actually like it better now, so that is a good thing. It was poker straight before ,now it has nice body to it.I had a small discoloration on my belly only and I did get black lines and spots in my nails but I always wear nail polish so you couldnt see it. All went away after I stopped the chemo. I didn't have to shave under my arms during chemo but I did continue with the leg shaving. I was kind of hoping that would stop for a bit...lol. All returned to normal after I stopped the chemo. I did not have any problems with my blood counts.

Everything returns to normal.

Oh..I had this small mole on my face by my eye. It feel off during chemo and I was so excited. The craziest thing..it grew back after the chemo was over...lol.

Now, Diana, is this your 2nd time with breast cancer? Your stats seem to indicate that. So sorry that your daughter has to do the BMX but I can understand why.

hugs

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314

My pockets will be full tomorrow--thanks! Glad you're going with me. I'm hoping for the best.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

CMBear, now why didn't my chemo nurse look like that??? It would have made it such a different experience, lol.

Jeannie, hope everything went OK. 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

CMF?  Coffee Mocha Frappe?  Doesn't sound too bad, especially delivered by cmb's wait staff.  Good Luck today, Jeannie57.

• candie1971

thinking of you today,Jeannie

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Wishing you tons of luck today Jeannie.  Sending hugs along! 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Well, I'll leave this thread in all of your capable hands.  Don't do anything I wouldn't do.  (Not that limiting.)  Don't write anything I wouldn't write.  (Don't make me come back to five pages of weather reports across the nation!)   Keep the info., support and humor going. 

Think of me everyday.  Think of me in the land of icebergs, on a ship that is less endowed than Titanic.  They don't even have an "unsinkable" claim, but do claim to have an on board bowling alley.  Think of me in the ninth frame of a perfect game when the big collision occurs, but I won't leave until I bowl out with three strikes in the tenth frame.  "What do you mean all the lifeboats have left already?"  Luckily, I am a good swimmer.  I know where the boiler room is too...right next to my broom closet cabin in steerage.  I duck in there and quickly coat my body with six inches of lube grease from a 55 gal. drum.  Ascending to the upper decks, and the galleys of posh quarters, I grab one of the famous art reprints (Rembrandt's Storm On The Sea Of Galilee) from the wall, and dive overboard.  The icy water brings me to my senses, and I realize this painting is the original and has been missing for 22 years, stolen in the biggest art theft in U.S. history.  It makes a great kickboard and if I can only make it to shore, I might get a sizeable reward.  Kicking furiously, I come ashore near a tiny village on an island off St. Rupert, B.C.  Heaving sighs of relief, I soon realize water had swollen the wood on my painting, and the salt water had abraded the paint so that all I am left holding is an ordinary wood panel.  As two locals come running, I toss it onto the shore.  A short while later, when my teeth stop chattering, I tell my story over a hot cup of tea.  Their incredulous response is, "This will be a day you will remember for the rest of your life!"  "Yes," I agree, "I don't think I will ever bowl a 300 game again."

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685

elimar.

Love your story made me chuckle

I friend of mine will be on the same cruise as you.. He is so looking forward to it and I am looking forward to all his pictures (he is an amateur photographer) Hope you run in to him.. He is so much fun.. HAVE A WONDERFUL CRUISE!!!!!!!!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Now THAT'S a story for the ages!

Have a blast!

• justmejanis

Have fun Eli!  Even in your postage size cabin down below.  Bet it will be much better than you lead us to imagine.  Sinking is not allowed! :)

• dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110

Dianarose - I lost maybe 1/3 of my hair with CMF.  Most people couldn't tell at all.  it did get kind of a crunchy, wirey texture so I chopped it short anyway, but I didn't care b/c I had hair!!

• candie1971

enjoy elimar! love the story, you are a good writer

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045

Have a GREAT trip Elimar!! 

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

I'm doing the "post as I read" tonight.

Candie, you talked about being mushy around your cancerversary...I'm always that way! Congrats hon :)

House finale - I was  faithful viewer for the first few years, not so much the last few (I mean, really..how many illnesses can they do the same tests for??)  I didn't have a problem with the non-realistic side - this was a tv show, remember? Not a documentary! I think the acting was a cut above most tv shows and enjoyed seeing all the behind the scenes during the first part of the finale special.

More to come as I read more, I'm sure.

• marlegal

Jeannie and Diana, make sure to drink lots and lots of water - not just liquids....WATER! That is by far one of the best ways to flush the crappy by-products of chemo out of your system.

Diana, I hope your hair loss is minimal...I don't know CMF. I did the AC/Taxol routine. But please don't focus on that. It's temporary - and your hair does NOT define you. If your doc says that hair loss is common with CMF, please prepare yourself ahead of time - you'll be much better off. Taking the reins and being proactive beats surprise hair loss any day, trust us.

• marlegal

Eli, I'm not sure when you're actually leaving but I loved that story!!! Thanks for giving us a pic of your ship as our page topper for the time you're gone.

Foods to avoid while on chemo - I'm with the person who said they ate what they wanted when they wanted to. I was a big fan of that too. I swear, I had more cravings and foods I couldn't be around during chemo than I did during either pregnancy. I'd be driving home and call hub ... "Den, do we have any ham around?" (We dont eat lunchmeat mind you) Den.."Uh, no...want me to get some?" Me "Yes, and I want toast with a little mayo, the ham, and iceberg lettuce" (We don't eat iceberg lettuce!) And I'd come home to that sandwich, and it was the best thing I'd ever eaten in my life, I swear. Anyway...the point is that you'll want certain foods, and you won't be able to look at or smell certain other foods. Go with your gut reaction to things and don't over-think. You are putting drugs in your system to fight a disease - let them do their thing, but you do your thing in the meantime.

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

I hope you have a great time Eli!!!!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314

Yes, Eli, have a great time!  I'm so glad you're feeling well enough to go.

I had my first chemo today --the MF of CMF-- and it was fine.  My nurse, too, said to eat whatever I want and drink lots and lots of water to protect my bladder and kidneys.  I'm not very good at that but it's a good habit to develop, anyway.  Tomorrow I start the daily Cytoxin, which will probably make me nauseous because if a drug can, it will. I have lots of choices to control it.  I feel good tonight and I'm thankful for that! 

• justmejanis

So glad it went well for you Jeannie!  Hopefully the SE's can be kept at a minimum.  Really happy to know you are okay!  Hugs!

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

I'm glad it went well Jeannie! I'm saying a prayer that it won't make you nauseous...

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Okay, better late than never, here is this week's Mystery Picture! Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend. Rest and relax!

• marlegal

Jeannie, I'm so happy you had a good first treatment :)  Good luck with the cytoxin and your nurse was right, drinking water to rid your system of the extra drugs is crucial. I've always been a water fiend so I didn't have a problem with that, but lots of women found that making sure it was ice cold helped.

MP - a windsock and its shadow

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

MP=garden hose???

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685

MP.. flip flops