Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Marlegal, congratulations on NINE years! That's wonderful, and what you wrote is so beautiful and inspirational. It was a very eventful decade for you and I guess that's what happens during this period of our lives.  My son just graduated from college, just got his first real job.  I suppose our lives will start a new phase now but I sure miss the old one where he came home everyday and talked about school...

Hope you're doing well, FootballNut! Been thinking about you!

DianaRose - hope everything is going alright for you, too!  If you see this please let us know how things are.

I just got back from the MO and my bloodwork and tumor markers were good. But my skin is erupting in these big itchy spots and she said the Tamoxifen (and AIs) can cause the skin to break down because of less estrogen. And it's a fungal thing going on which is so insidious. I'm thinking, "Grrreat. One more little side effect like this PITA and I'm quitting this crap."  I've got 16 months to go.  What's so special about 5 years anyway?  Does anyone know?

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

It's over !!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

Where is that damn "LIKE" button!!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

agree!  WE need a like button over here.

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126

Like!!!!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Eph, you KNOW George is my favorite!!!

Jbok - wooo hooo!!!! I remember that feeling soooo well

Thanks for the congrats girls...couldn't have done it without lots of you :)

• homemom

Anyone that is ER+, do you plan to drink again? I'm beginning to think about this now that I am one chemo treatment away from the finish line.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

HomeMom, I never stopped. I cut way, way, waaaaaaayyyy back during chemo, but that simply meant that I had one, single glass of wine 2X a week. I still go easy on the wine, but if I want a glass, I have one.

Everything I have read points to:

1. Moderate alcohol intake (1-6 drinks per week) appears to be correlated to some modest increase in cancer risk and recurrence risk. Major risk only comes with major intake.

2. Moderate alcohol intake is also correlated with a decrease in deaths from other causes (stroke, heart etc), so that even with the cancer risk, you are better off drinking a little than you are with not drinking at all.

3. A blogger made the very good point that the risk associated with moderate alcohol intake is not that great, whereas the reduction in risk if you exercise regularly is quite significant. The blogger was wondering why docs will tell patients not to drink, but won't bother getting them to exercise.

In any event, I like red wine, and I finally decided that I will not give it up. It adds to my quality of life.

• homemom

My RO explained it to me and said "They want to put us all in a box. You need to enjoy your life, if you have a bad day at work, go home and have a glass of wine".   I know someone who was triple positive 7 years ago and she still takes Tamoxifen so she can drink occasionally.  I was like 97% ER+ so I am a little concerned. I used to drink typically just 2 nights a week, but I would have 3-4 glasses of wine each night. I don't think I will do that anymore.  Exercise is DEFINITELY something I am going to increase. I walked 3-4 times a week 3 miles each time but did nothing else. I'm going to plan a good routine that includes more cardio and some weights.

• glennie19

I'm 100% ER positive,, I don't drink,, but I am thinking that I don't get enough exercise.   Thought I was in menopause, but now estrogen levels have rocketed up, so a hysterectomy is scheduled for next month. I need to get these blood levels down! 

• 3littlebirds
    3littlebirds Member Posts: 54

I have a single glass of wine most evenings. It's something I enjoy, and I don't want to give it up. I am already resentful for what I've lost because of this stupid disease. I walk 30 to 40 minutes every day and have a 30 minute yoga DVD that I love. It really helped me to get my range of motion back after surgery. Once I'm recovered from my exchange surgery, I'm going to try to lose my extra 10 lbs that I have around the middle. Maybe I'll join a gym for the first time in my life! My DCIS was 37% ER+.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I quit completely because I made a "deal" with God before my surgery. So far he's kept up His end of the bargain....I was told a 30% increase of risk for mets if I drank, so that's the number I based my decision on. I'm sure it's changed over the years, but I don't care.

As for exercise, I know of tri-athletes that have breast cancer, so I consider that just another way to blame the patient for her cancer!!

• Momine

"As for exercise, I know of tri-athletes that have breast cancer, so I consider that just another way to blame the patient for her cancer!!"

No, that is not fair, nor accurate. The plural of anecdote is not data as the saying goes, and statistically there is clear benefit from exercise.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

i am just really unhappy right now. how do you guys motivate yourselves to do things? like, i have been battling depression since i have been on femara and since treatment i have been in lousy shape. i have at least 15 extra pounds all in my middle, where it never used to be. 6 months ago when i started femara my cholesterol level was fine, a little high, but nothing alarming, and my endocrinologist agreed, my hdl was great, so no statins for me. now, i just found out that my cholesterol is 319. and my hdl is awful now too. thing is, my diet is just the same. what the heck is going on? and the stupid life saving femara is just like running into the side of a building as far as ambition or motivation to do anything is concerned. i reeeally dont want to do statins. so, i think i should just starve myself, and never sit still. i  know i could ramp up cardio, but the stupid femara is really making me not want to get out the door unless i really have to. i so wish i could feel as bodily and mentally as good as i did on the 8 week break between tamoxifen and femara. I felt like me! i am just complaining, thats all...

• barbe1958

I've read that statins are contraindicated for breast cancer patients.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Kathec, I have been on statins my whole time on Femara.  I too have the middle tire.  My last dose is November 13, 2014!   I cannot wait!!!

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

So...I am a wine girl.  I did one of those online health assessments for my employer and it asked how much alcohol do you drink.  I figured about 1 glass a night, 3 on the weekends....so I answered 12.  The next thing I know I get a email asking me if I want to discuss my drinking problem with a professional!  LOL.

I am not drinking right now mostly because the MO is monitoring my liver functions after chemo.  I want to be sure we get a 'true' reading by eliminating any irritants like alcohol and ibuprophen.

To avoid reoccurrences, they recommend you LIMIT your alcohol and red meats.  All moderation is good!  

Speaking of which, I just saw the new study that debunked the soy concerns for BC patients....they are actually recommending it now!

• barbe1958

OMG, tell me that soy "study" isn't the China Project!!!!

• barbe1958

Whew!! Googled it and couldn't find anything!! Soy is an ER+ producing food. IF you grew up eating it, it MAY have some benefit, BUT if you start as an adult, the opposite is true!!

• glennie19

jbokland:  that is kinda funny!!  Do you need a counselor??  or AA?  Tylenol is major liver irritant, so watch that.

• homemom

Ok, well who didn't eat Chinese as a kid which included soy sauce! I'm so confused! 

kathec - this is a great video http://blog.thebreastcancersite.com/dearbody/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=dearbodytest&utm_term=20140826&utm_campaign=1

• Tomboy

Love the women in the video,HomeMom! but of course, i can see why they can tell themselves they are beautiful: THEY ARE STUNNERS!!! thanks, though, i will try. i am researching statins now, and it really sounds like they are not for ANYBODY!!!  i am i am going toask for the lowest dose possible, and like, every other day, while i am not eating a thing thats not so good for me, except for maybe once a month. and more cardio.

Eph3_12, which one are you taking, and whats it been like? You are almost done! Thats tremendous! You are gonna have to tell us how soon you felt back to normal!

its just that i seem to be the one that gets  ALL the SE's: surgery: hematoma,seroma, lymphedema! Port installation: collapsed lung. Chemo: weird rashes "they have never seen before" plus just all the usual, like neuropathy. did ok on radiation, maybe i'll develop morphea or RIBP, oh yeah, frozen shoulder, i have that! and all those nasty pills, bone pain, weight gain, osteoporosis, and high cholesterol,  and depression. im gonna go play with my hair.

• homemom

LOL kathec - you at least can laugh at yourself, that is important! Wait...you have hair???

So glad we are here for you to vent to, this chit is never easy. I think the point of the video is to take the time and give life to your body and live in the "now". You can appreciate yourself even if you don't look like a super model!

• Tomboy

Winking,,HomeMom! i do, but its awkward whilst growing!

• homemom

OMG you've got a ridiculous amount of hair!! I'm jealous. Are you from the UK?? That "whilst" term is pure uk

• Momine

kathec, I started cutting out sugars and refined starches during chemo. At the same time, I increased  my veggie and fish intake as well as my exercise. It has lowered my cholesterol.

Bokland, could you share the soy study?

• Momine

HomeMom, where is the video? I can't find it.

• Momine

Thanks.

• barbe1958

Eating the occasional Chinese take-out and being raised on soy every day are totally different. Soy, like edamame (?) and flaxseed and a bunch of other "good" things are ER producers. Having had ER+ breast cancer I chose to look at current news, not something written 10-15 years ago before they understood the ramifications. I, too, would like to see a link to the latest study. We really have to make sure that the "new" study we read is actually current.