Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• 3littlebirds
    3littlebirds Member Posts: 54

Welcome Poppy!

I also thought drains were mandatory. I'm not so familiar with lumpectomy. Being BRCA1+, it wasn't even a possibility for me. The only way being "young" affected my treatment plan was my PS pushed for a nipple-sparing BMX. Apparently my BS doesn't usually like to do them on high risk patients.

Hope your swelling comes down soon. 

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Hi Poppy! Yes, they do treat you more aggressively if you are "young". This is one time I didn't like being called young! Other things they take into consideration are Oncotype (have you done that yet?), grade, size, node involvement and LVI.  Only one node may not be an issue to your MO.

They do expect us to live another 30-40 years so the young women often get chemo.  Good luck with your appointments next week.  It will be much better when you get a plan and know what to expect.  

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Being "young" meant a big push to recon.  I had to keep saying over and over again that I didn't want it.  The attitude was like:  but you are going to live 30 more years?  Don't you want a breast?      

Nope,, only if I could keep the original,, and since that wasn't possible,, forget it.   It was astoushing how many times I had to say I didn't want it. 

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

3littlebird...I had drain with lumpectomy and my surgery wasn't even considered that extensive. Poppy, does your surgeon specialize only in breast surgery! I'm a little worried about discoloration and swelling more than a month out. Glad you're seeing other docs next week, curious to see what they say. Hugs for you as you begin this journey.

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

I am receiving my treatment at a breast cancer center. I have a BS/SO and a PS. When I saw the PS about a week ago, he said it was unusual, but not unheard of, to still be sore and so swollen. Looks like I will need to visit with him soon.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

man, glennie. i cant believe they asked you that many times. there was this woman, Audre Lourde, who wrote a book more than 40 years ago, im sure, and she said they were mad at her when she walked in to the place she was treated, and they thought she should wear a breast form into there, because it might scare and disturb other people. she was adamant that she was fine, and felt completely comfortable with her own beautiful self, and they made her crazy by keeping asking her to. i didnt realize there was so much pressure to appear "normal"!!  they are the ones with the problem, id say.

• Tomboy

i am sore and swollen almost two years later. but i have lymphedema. but i had lots of nodes out. glad you met firekracker, she is something else!

• marlegal

So sorry for anyone still hurting so far out from original surgeries. Counting my blessings, even with my LE. I'm seldom in actual pain for anything related to my BC. Now my back...that's another story, but that's been going on for more than 40 yrs, so nothing to do with BC!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

I did have drains, but only for 4 days. My doc does not send patients home with drains. The first week I was drain-less, I did get some fluid accumulating, but it disappeared on its own.

Glennie, one of my docs kept pestering me about recon, also because I am "young" and "attractive." Especially that last comment always makes me want to tell him "fuck you!" [pardon the French]. So what? Ugly women don't need boobs? Pretty women can't be pretty without boobs? Whatever you pick as the answer, it is offensive.

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

lol.  My PS kept encouraging me to go big ( I was a DD-DDD before on my 5"2" frame before). I was really enjoying the small boobs with only 250cc .  he finally politely said you need to consider balancing the top with your bottom. ...diplomacy' for you got a fat ass'!

• jbokland

lol.  My PS kept encouraging me to go big ( I was a DD-DDD before on my 5"2" frame before). I was really enjoying the small boobs with only 250cc .  he finally politely said you need to consider balancing the top with your bottom. ...diplomacy' for you got a fat ass'!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Bokland, I will come kick his ass, if you like ;) I know a lot of women with big butts and tiny boobs. It is a look, and not necessarily a bad one.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

bokland, you should have told him your ass was ballast for the big boobs you HAD!!!

I had 3 lumpectomies before I had my final cancer diagnosis. I WAS black and blue on the last one from the biopsy gun, but I had dirty margins and went for the mast. NO drains with any lumpectomy. Had them with the double mast of course. If I had not had the second surgery, I am sure I would have still been black and blue from the biopsy gun. I was purple-black before the breast was taken off - even the surgeon said Holy Cow!!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

I had one drain with the lumpectomy and two with the mastectomy. I'm not sure I really needed the drains because with the first I was way below the daily amount you needed to keep them in from day one and with the second, one of them did collect a lot of fluid - for the first couple of days. After that I was again way below. I had them out at my follow up each time. I understand that you could or could not have them with the exchange surgery. Fingers crossed I don't.

I had a bruising with each, but the mx bruising took longer to go away.

• glennie19

Yeah, my BS was actually a bit of a pain about it.  He kept trying to push me to lumpectomy/rads as opposed to MX. I told him that I would like to avoid rads if possible, and since the cancer is in my nipple, you are basically cutting my breast in half, what's the point of keeping the rest??  (my opinion, here, hope I don't offend anyone)  He really pushed the LX,, and finally he said:  you know,, that's what my wife said she would do too. (she is also a doctor).  I felt vindicated that his wife, who I've never met, agreed with me.  THEN he left excess skin cuz he thought I was going to have recon!!  GAHHHHHH!!!!   After the million questions I asked before surgery,, none of which was about recon, why would he think I was going to do that???  So now I have excess skin, dog ears,, whatever you want to call it.  I want to get it removed at some point. I want it flat.

Before I developed the LE, I used to go half flat a lot. I've always hated bras. Now that I have the truncal LE, I do wear compression so that kind of fills in the empty space.

It's very annoying that they feel we need to have recon to feel "whole" again. Sorry,, I feel just fine. If I lost an arm or leg and needed a pros to function, that would be different. But as much as I miss my left breast,, I can function w/o it.

(again, my opinion,, not to offend those with recon. Everyone needs to make their own decision about it,, preferably without pressure from surgeons)

• glennie19

kathec:  that was interesting about Audre Lorde. I'll have to look for her book. 

• ganzgirl2010
    ganzgirl2010 Member Posts: 56

Hello ladies...new to this thread..just wanted to say hi. Maca...JUST BREAST CANCER !! I would've knocked that ladies teeth thru the back of her throat ! Some people are so ignorant ! Anyways...happy Labor day ladies :)

• jbokland

when my friend went to the OR for lumpectomy with the possibility of a MX , the surgeon said. "If we have to do the MX just remember, they are sisters, not twins".    Lol. I loved that!

• homemom

Homemom "likes" that post

• marlegal

Welcome Ganzgirl. Sorry for the double whammy you suffered. How are you feeling now? You're still so fresh from surgery. I had a lumpec in Sept 2005 so can't say I understand the pain of a double mast. I just hope you're healing well. This generally a fun thread to follow, glad you found us :)

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Hi and welcome ganzgirl. Glad you are able to join us and spend time with the middies. Lots of support, encouragement, knowledge and sharing to be found.

Labour Day is one of the few holidays that we Canadians and Americans share (even though our spelling is a bit different - lol). Hope everyone is enjoying a holiday Monday.

• homemom

Yeah, I'm at work! Just the nature of my business. I celebrated on Saturday at my brother's house. Everyone else enjoy your day off if you have one!!!

• ganzgirl2010

Thank you marlegal and barsco....Im so glad I found BCO..such a helpful website ! Homemom...that stinks that your working on LABOR day. Friday night was really bad as far as the pain..almost went to the ER..but, stuck it out and called the PS the following morning and they added motrin to the tyleno and oxycodone...sooooo much better ! Im exhausted tho. Yesterday I tried to walk thru the supermarket with my boyfriend and couldn't do it..the more I walked the more pain I was in :(

But, I am feeling a bit better everyday..thank you for asking marlegal :)

• 3littlebirds
    3littlebirds Member Posts: 54

Ganzgirl, the exhaustion was overwhelming for me for at least the first week. I needed a nap for an hour or two every afternoon for almost a month. I have an hour-long CD of Reiki music and it was so soothing to nap to! Great healing energy.

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126

Hi Gansgirl and welcome. I had a mastectomy two years ago. I remember going into a cold grocery was painful in itself, besides the fatigue. The temp change hurts. Hugs, Stephanie

• Tomboy

Hi, 3rd time!

• ganzgirl2010

3littlebirds...the exhaustion is ridiculous ! Im exhausted even after just washing my face lol.

3rdtimenow...wow you've been thru it all, poor thing geesh. I wasn't the temp that bothered my in the supermarket it was the walking..when I first walked into the store I was in a little pain but was ok..10 minutes into it I was near tears

• glennie19

ganzgirl,, you are not even 2 weeks post-op!!  Don't overdo!! Get lots of rest. Your body has to heal.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

You have to recover from the ANAESTHETIC before you even begin to recover from the surgery! Naps are a must!!!

• ganzgirl2010

Thank you ladies :)