Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449

Hello sisters!!!

As you may have noticed, I have been away for
    awhile. NOTHING IS WRONG - I AM FINE! I apologize if I have caused
    any of you to worry. As you may recall, I am organizing two fundraising
    events. The first to be held Saturday Oct 25 in support of the
    Trillium Health Partner Foundation - Credit Valley Hospital, Cancer
    Services; the second to be held Friday, November 21 in support of the
    Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. For the past several weeks, I have
    been devoted to this. Both will be held under the banner name - ROCKING
    IT BALD. I have created t-shirts using my hubby’s design, bought the
    domain name rockingitbald.com (the site will be up shortly - I have been
    working on it for weeks!!), trying to get items for door prizes and
    silent auctions, meeting with representatives from the Trillium Health
    Partners Foundation, updating my ROCKING IT BALD facebook page and
    trying to get volunteers for the events.

On top of this, I have
    been rehearsing with my AC/DC tribute band BARE RUMP and classic rock
    band LEFTY AND THE GOONS as both will be performing at the events in
    addition to the Relay For Life, Friday, Sept 12 in Norval, Ontario.

On
    top of this, I participated in a video to share my story sponsored by
    Scottie’s in support of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. I have
    another video shoot this Friday for the cancer centre at the hospital
    where I am being treated - Credit Valley.

In addition to this, I have been trying to go to the gym 4-5 times per week, and have been continuing my treatment.

Needless to say, I’ve been crazy busy so again, do apologize!!

Tomorrow
    is my last chemo treatment of taxol. DONE!!!! Can’t wait - I’m too
    busy for this! I can’t complain about the side effects. I had 3
    treatments in a row then was off for a week, then the last 3. I am
    starting to feel some needles and pins in my finger tips and have an odd
    ache in my left rib. I’m waiting for swelling due to water retention -
    after my first 3 rounds I gained 6 pounds of water. It was awful!!
    I’v also had ringing in my right ear for WEEKS but this started off and
    on last year. My mom calls it “age”.

lol

I will also get round 4 of herceptin tomorrow which will continue every 3 weeks until the end of June 2015.

If
    anyone wants to keep in touch, I would suggest hitting me up on
    Facebook if you haven’t already. I’m Angie Sandow and you’ll see a
    picture of me in a beanie. I will continue to pop in but for now, I am
    soooo busy that I hardly have time to reherase with my bands!!

I
    would also appreciate if you would “like” my Rocking It Bald facebook
    page. As I mentioned above, my website will be up shortly. In the next
    few weeks, I will start volunteering at Wellspring and hope to commence
    my volunteering with the Canadian Cancer Society. I hope to use this
    and my Rocking It Bald site to network in the hopes of starting a career
    in public speaking down the road.

I hope that all are well!!!!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I am very tired now after reading your status FBN!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

Hi FBN wow is all I can say! I will send you a friend request tonight and like your page. I plan to get involved volunteering but didn't think I had the energy to do it now - lol

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

And to think I still debate whether I have enough energy to take a shower and pick the kids up from school! :-)

Fantastic update, FBN!

Poppy

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

I want whatever drugs she's on,,,,,,  I could use that much energy,, heck, half that much energy!

way to go, FBN!

• ganzgirl2010
    ganzgirl2010 Member Posts: 56

hahaha lolol ! dam I don't even have the energy to brush my teeth some days !

• footballnut

hi all!  

It seems that giving myself things to do has helped me with energy. I really like bring involved with volunteering, fundraising and the exercising helps me to  keep going. Since I'll be getting Benadryl as part of my pre meds today with steroids I know that I won't sleep tonight so tomorrow might be a challenge!!  Ugh!  Tomorrow at 10 am I'm scheduled to go to a small business seminar. Friday I take the hubby for a colonoscopy that he has every 5 years as a result of his colitis. Saturday is band rehearsal and Sunday is nfl football ALL DAY!!  Woo hoo!!!!

• eph3_12

I too rejoice about NFL Football starting !!!!  Yippee

• footballnut

go broncos, saints, packers and 49ers oin that order!!

• eph3_12

i agree with the Saints

• homemom

I need to ask about exercise. I would like to start low weight training to get my arms back and I really should be walking at the very least. 

FBN who is your team? That picture is too small to tell ! I am more of a college fan then NFL, but I do like the Steelers, and the FLorida teams

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

HomeMom...did you get any evaluation or treatment for LE?  I went and they gave me some instruction on exercises and stretching using 2 & 3 lb weights.

Of course, the Y is helping now too....look, they even give you nifty shirts!

• homemom

jbok I have a PT appt at Eden spa on the 12th, maybe they will give me info on that then?  I need to call the Y near me in Winter Garden and see if they have the program. COOL shirt, I want one!

• glennie19

homemom:  GO GATORS!!!  And if you google the Livestrong program, you can see which Y's have it. I know there are some in the Orlando area that do. I'm in Gainesville,, and we don't.   Booooo.   And there are some exercise thread in the lymphedema section, if you want to check them out. Carol and Binney over there are very helpful.

Jbok:  nifty shirt!

• Mulligan
    Mulligan Member Posts: 61

Hello ladies, I guess I'm middle aged now. I was diagnosed this year at 40 yrs old but my issues started back when I was 37. I've had 2.5 yrs to prepare for this and at times I am but other times I feel completely lost especially with how I should feel. Everything just happened so fast from the time of diagnosis to surgery, reconstruction, etc that I didn't allow myself to grieve or get angry or anything. I felt like I was tossed a baton and told to run and I've just been running ever since. I'm almost afraid to stop as then I'll have to deal with any emotions since I haven't allowed myself to think about. Does that make sense?

Now that the majority of the reconstruction will be over soon, the next steps are chemo and hormone therapy which the HT is frankly scaring the crap out of me.

I'm so glad to be able to vent my issues or what's mulling around in my brain to you ladies even if no advice can be given. I don't want to burden my family and friends as they would not truly understand. I, at least feel comfort here knowing that I'm not the only one going through this.

• jbokland

Hi Jules! Looking through your surgery time line...you have been on a long road!  

Vent away, sister!   We are here!

• homemom

glennie GO GATORS!!!! How about that storm?? Glad I couldn't make the trip! DH and I agreed that we would have left around the 9-9:30pm time frame having a 90 min drive home. Thanks for the info on this site, I will check those out.

Jules - I get ya! Never wanted to get into that "Cancer world" where I thought the unlucky had to live. I learned to look at it like something I have to fix and move on from. It's still a shock to the system, but this is where you can vent and know that EVERYONE understands!

• ganzgirl2010
    ganzgirl2010 Member Posts: 56

So excited for football...GO PATRIOTS !!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Looking in, I notice several new women have joined the ranks, and have been greeted already, but I will add my welcome also.  I know a few have upcoming procedures...may those go well and the healing commence uneventfully.  

Newbies, you can be sure the others here DO understand what you go through now.  Nobody ever said you have to like it, either!  Take what you need from the ladies here.  All are willing to give.  When you can and are ready, give back what you can, on here or the many threads with so many people looking to connect and/or get answers.

After five years, I won't be frequenting BCO on the near-daily basis like before.  Others have had the call to move on before me and my time has now come.  You'll do it too if and when it feels right.  I may show up now and again with something to say or share.  Who knows?  At the very least, someone has to change that pic at the top from time to time, eh?

• Brwneyedgirl
    Brwneyedgirl Member Posts: 70

Welcome to all of the newbies.  Elimar we will miss  you, happy that you are able to move on. 

• glennie19

HomeMom, that storm was something!!  I don't think I've ever seen an entire game called off before. Oh well. They should just declare it no contest. What's the point of flying them back again?  Costs too much money in my opinion. Course the alumuni who go to every game might think differently.

Hi, Jules, Welcome to our gang.  Vent away!!  We get it!

Elimar,, do keep checking it from time to time!  We do need the pic changed!  LOL!! Glad things are going well!

• footballnut

good morning all

Well I rang the bell hard and loud yesterday - twice and will do so again once herceptin is done next June!!

As far as exercising goes I went to the gym prior to cancer so have slowly returned to my routines. As I only have 1 fully developed arm I do my arm weights. I watch for swelling which may or may not start regardless of what I do. All I know is that I feel so much better doing cardio and weights

As far as football my teams are 

1. Broncos for PEYTON. Used to be the colts so this Sunday night will be interesting

2  saints. Drew BREES!  He will become my main man once PEYTON retires

3 Green Bay. Aaron Rogers. Always hated them when what's his name was qb. Couldn't stand him!!  Fabre. Ugh

4. 49ers. Have loved them since the 70s. They are the future

Plus I'll always have a soft spot for Miami. They were my team when I was a little girl. 

• Mulligan

Thanks Jbokland, HomeMom and Glennie, I'm coming out of my bat cave more and more instead of lurking and hopefully I can give back to others with some encouragement, insight or even a shoulder to cry on.
    Glad you are able to move on Elimar, please come visit us here.
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Oh and go Seahawks! :)

• Mulligan

Yay Footballnut! Congrats! Like you, I use to workout up to the day before my mastectomy but I haven't been back to the gym since I think partially because I loved lifting and doing weight training on my arms but since any upper body exercise is prohibited I've been unmotivated to get my lazy butt back in the gym, glad to hear you are going back to your routine. 

• footballnut

mulligan I think that I started light arm weights approx 6 weeks after my mx. Prior to that I did exercises like walking the wall and others. So far so good 

• glennie19

Great pics, FBN!  Miami is my team for the pros,, I grew up there and remember the great undefeated season!!

**sings** "Miami has the Dolphins, the greatest football team. They take the ball from goal to goal like no one's ever seen."   Those were good times!!

Mulligan:  why is upper body workout prohibited?  Is that due to upcoming surg and recovery?  You have surg tomorrow??  OK, I can see that you would need to take it easy for a while, but then you should be able to get back to it.  Start very light,, it's frustrating as all heck.    It took me a long time to get back after my MX, and now I'm having a HX the end of this month.  Frustrating, as it's another setback, so right now, I'm just working on cardio to build endurance before surgery.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

e, this pic is for you!

There's no kangaroos in Austria! This is as close to cheetos as I could find.

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

FB, Congratulations! You looks so beautiful and happy!

This exercise thing... Last night, I swept our rather large backyard patio to remove all the dirt, fur and miscellaneous debris deposited by my boys' dogs. I couldn't believe how sore my neck, arms and back were afterwards! Unfortunately, my still recovering breasts and sides swelled up pretty badly. Guess I'll have to approach this return to activity more slowly than I had hoped.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Oh Eli - you will be missed but just think of the fuss we'll make when you do pop by to say hello! Best of luck with all of your upcoming procedures. Healing vibes being sent to you. (keep em in your pocket till you need em).

Congrats to you FBN - you did it! I think I heard you ringing the bell from here!

• jbokland

ARGH!  I am so frustrated with a friend!   VENTING

She was diagnosed just 2 months ago.  She has carefully watched me, supported me and often commented how I inspired her through my FB posts of my journey. 

Yesterday, she just finished her second chemo treatment and posted on FB that her and her friend left chemo and stopped  for a couple of beers.   They then went home and had happy hour.  She made it sound like a nice day out of fun after a pedicure.... REALLY? 

a. I don't know about you, but alcohol was the last thing I wanted after a day long of chemo, steroids and benedryl

b. WHY would you do that to your body?

c. Why would you boast about it on FB? 

I wrote her a private note and told her I was genuinely worried about her mind set .  Either she is in a really bad place or in deep denial of the seriousness of self-care during this.  I also told her I was disappointed with our mutual friend who took her to the bar and hosted the happy hour.  We need support from our friends for good decisions and voices of reason when we are too crazed to see straight.   I'm sure I pissed her off with my candor.  

Ugh, obviously I am worried that this may be more of an alcohol dependency than we (or she) admits too.

whew...thanks!