Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

HomeMom, i think the "ridiculous" part of the hair thing is more accurate than anything. i did take lots of biotin, and still do, cause my nails were chipping in layers. And i just like to use different words. Am a california girl!

Momine, i have been (mostly) a vegetarian for 20 years,every once in a while, some chicken, some fish, and some eggs and cheese. and even more rarely i would allow a good steak, or a hamburger, and my downfall, the worst: bacon. i had cholesterol checked in january, and my endocrinologist said it was a little high, nothing to worry about, because my HDL was high. and then i started femara, and actually my physical activity HAS improved since then, the further out from chemo i get. interestingly, hyperlipidemia can be a result of femara. That weight gain thing elimar was talking about? where our bodies are detecting the lack of circulating estrogen? and therefore, try to manufacture it, by storing fats? it is true. well anyway, on wikipedia, i havent looked on pubmed yet, cholesterol and estrogen are both steroids, and both are produced by our bods.Cause we neeeed them! well, i am purposefully cutting out any extraneous consumption of lipids as much as possible, and increasing fibers to a ridiculous degree, and i plan on excercising at least two hours a day, besides running up and down stairs many times a day like i already do, and when i must drive, parking far away, doing gardening. i am still not back up to pre chemo levels of activity, though. i might have to join a gym and get a personal trainer to kick mah butt for a while, anyway. i just really dont want to take statins.

• Tomboy

crap.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

crap what kathec?

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

kathec - Hope the "crap" comment was to your situation in general and not something else happening today. Any chance you can change to Arimidex or Aromasin? Wondering if they might give some relief to your cholesterol problem. But then again the "known" enemy can be better than the "unknown" so I myself would be loathe to change AI. Forgive me if you've already been on those. Just throwing out questions or possible solutions. There are certain genetic predispositions to high chol. but generally they are high (or at least in the worrisome category) at a much younger age. And I think you said yours was relatively normal b4 BC, right? And gosh darn you are much more active and eat a much healthier diet than I do. I know Niacin was - and I say was because I'm not current on it - a recommended OTC for high chol.

Back to the soy question. I do think a lot of the soy "prohibition" was on the isolates found in so called health food. Not that any of us should start eating tofu as a mainstay either. I'm not giving up soy sauce on the stir fry I make but then that's maybe 2x/month. I know there is soy in packaged food but usually way down on the ingredient list. Again not talking about soy as meat substitute. (Can you tell I've never eaten it because I can't even think of the proper term?) But don't take me as a soy expert. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night LOL. (Is that commercial even on anymore?)

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Kathec, what a bitch! I don't blame you for being bummed, I would be too. All I can say is that you mustn't throw in the towel just yet. Initially my cholesterol DID go up on femara, but then it came down again. So my feeling is to stick with it and have a little patience. Good luck!

• stasia2
    stasia2 Member Posts: 6

Good evening, all. Just a quick note to say that my DMx surgery with SNB is scheduled for Tuesday, September 9th. Any other September surgeries out there? I'm still pretty new to this group but noticed in the thread that I can ask you wonderful women to come along with me in my pocket... I'm pretty well prepared and have done all logistical preparations except for the pre-op surgical nurse interview next Tuesday. I also plan to schedule a tune-up with my chiropractor and a nice therapeutic massage to release all negative, stress-related tension and toxins before going under the knife. I find that staying busy and distracted have helped me cope with the sudden attacks of bottomless dread and fear and grief over losing my breasts. Please understand - I KNOW how fortunate and blessed I am in my current situation. Wonderfully supportive family, friends, and co-workers. Prayer chains going full blast around the country. Good job and health insurance. Early stage and probably no node involvement. I remind myself of all of these very real facts every time I feel overwhelmed... but I also know that I'm allowed to grieve and be sad and mad that I'm going through this for a 2nd time. Anyway, I'm just venting. And asking you all to send positive energy into the universe on the 9th. Thanks!

• ncollett
    ncollett Member Posts: 753

Good luck stasia on the 9th. My Re-excision is on the 10th.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Good thoughts for the 9th, Stasia. My BMX was on the 13th of September, 3 years ago. So I am another "September," even if it is a different year.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

stasia - welcome and best of luck to you on the 9th. Sounds like you have a great support network and have taken care of all the "paperwork". You will no doubt have an overabundance of middies jumping in your pocket on the 9th!

• Tomboy

Good luck to you both, stasia and ncollett! i will be there with you.

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79

One LONG weekend away from my exchange surgery on 9-2. Here's hoping my plastic surgeon and his surgical team have a nice relaxing weekend! Surgery is scheduled for 7:15 a.m. Anxious and nervous but also will be very happy to be rid of these rock hard expanders :)

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

KLJ - congrats! I hear ya!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

about soy products for er+ women, here's a good article. Again, moderation http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/reduce...

Drinking - I'm another who feels that my quality of life would be adversely affected if I stopped. I enjoy a few drinks a week. Articles pro and con, so we all make our informed decision. 

Someone exercises 2 hours a day. Whoa! I work 9 hours a day and have an hour commute each way.  With 7 hours sleep, time to cook, eat and clean up, the best I can do is a 30 minute walk during lunch each day.

We've had this type discussion before. There are 'risks' and 'possible factors' which 'may' lead to bc or recurrence. Eat smart, move as much as you can, limit bad habits, but for God's sake, enjoy your life. Stress is a leading, proven cause for many health issues. I plan to avoid that more than I'll avoid a bottle of good wine.

Saw several reasons for pocket parties coming up. I'll be there, I promise.

• homemom

marlegal thanks for the article, it was very informative. I was given the number for a nutritionist at the hospital and that article raised some questions in my mind to ask them. 

It's been 9 years for you and we have a similar dx, I was thinking of by passing my wine, but I don't know really that I want to. Some meals are just better with a glass of wine and I like to drink one beer with pizza. Winking

• marlegal

HomeMom, I hear ya! Yes, I celebrated 9 yrs last Sunday...with wine Winking I have done more loving and living and travelling in the last 9 yrs...they truly have been among the best of my life even with tx and all that timeframe involved. I refuse to play the  'what if' game. Anything can happen. People die from all kinds of odd things. I'm going to enjoy myself for whatever time I have left, which is hopefully many more years.

• homemom

What day is the day you celebrate? Is it the day you finished all your treatment? Or the day you were diagnosed? It looks like you chose the day you were diagnosed. 

• marlegal

That's the day I chose, actually it was mammo day, cause it's easiest for me to remember. Othwrs do surgery day, some do treatmentend day...whatever works for you, no rules.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

KLJ, I know you're looking forward to Tuesday!  Funny how I hate long weekends now that I'm not working... can't get anything done!  And how did I end up with so much to do???

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79

heartnsoul7, I feel the same way about long weekends now! When I was working they couldn't get here quick enough or last long enough. Always flew right on by. Now (especially this weekend) will seem to last an eternity!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

The article DOES mention the use of TAMOXIFEN for postmenopausal women who continue to eat soy. As well, a good wrap-up paragraph which really evades the answer either way!

Until the issue becomes clearer, many doctors recommend that women who take hormonal therapy or who have estrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer avoid soy supplements because they contain high concentrations of isoflavones. But in general, it's fine to eat moderate amounts of soy foods as part of a balanced diet. One to 3 servings of soy a day (a serving is about a half cup) is similar to an average Japanese woman's daily soy intake. If you are taking hormonal therapy to fight off a hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer, and you are concerned about any phytoestrogen effects, ask your doctor or registered dietitian about how much soy you can eat.

• encoremom
    encoremom Member Posts: 38

Hello, I'm 58 and new to this thread.  Marlegal, I'm right there with you on the moderation.  My onc said not to worry about every morsel I put in my mouth (did say to avoid soy supplements), but to keep the exercise going!  Also said that wine is not the witch's brew for us that some people think....just not to go overboard.  Controlling weight with exercise is the key.  Congratulations on the 9 years!!!  It will be 6 years in October for me and I choose the date of my mastectomy to celebrate. 

• Tomboy

I choose the day the cancer was 'out' of my body, surgery date. i am not working, and STILL run out of day before i run out of tasks!! i dont know how i ever managed to work and get anything else kept up. i am two years behind on everything, but, i AM here. i have to remember that when i am mad at my boob, and mad at treatment adverse affects. welcome encoremom.

marlegal, love your advice!

Barbe: don't you just love how those study explanations waffle so much?

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Hi Everyone!

I have posted in other areas of the board, but just found my way here. I am 49 and married 27 years to my college sweetheart. We have 3 boys (17, 15 and 11yrs old), two dogs (yellow lab and classic yellow dog), 5 guinea pigs and a goldfish. All of the pets are pets were adopted from rescues. (My kids think it's important that I include the pets in my intro.)

Briefly, I had a lumpectomy, sentinel node dissection, and oncoplastic reconstruction (reduction and lift) on both breasts on July 23. The doctors expected to find clean margins and negative nodes. The margins were clean by 1mm, but the node was positive. I had a rough reaction to the anesthesia and pain meds, but am feeling much better now. It's been about 5 weeks since my surgery, and I am still bruised and swollen... sore, too. It's been so long that I am now wondering whether I have cellulitis.

My husband has been a great partner for me, especially as I am going through this cancer crud. The kids seem to be handling it pretty well. My youngest doesn't really understand the entire situation, but we have tried to explain things to him in terms he can understand. Middle son is soft-hearted and empathetic to all people and animals, so he is sad sometimes. Oldest son is just "sure you are (I am) going to be okay." He is concentrating on that. 

Next week, visits to the MO and RO to continue this fight.

It's great to see the anniversaries you are celebrating!

Poppy

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

oh, Poppy,, I love your avatar!! Looks like Georgia O'Keefe painting.  Welcome to the club you never wanted to join.

And the kids are right:  must introduce the pets. They are family too.

Glad you are seeing the MD's next week.  Check out that swollen area. It's not red, is it??

• PoppyK

Glennie,

I am still swollen, sore and bruised from my surgery. The bruising is getting better, but I am still all sorts of colors. It doesn't look like a rash, but it is sore and pink, purple and black. I am not red, haven't had a fever. The incisions are healing nicely. When I saw the PS 10 days ago, he wasn't concerned about the swelling and soreness. He said he did not expect me to be sore bruised and sore (still), but that the surgery was extensive.

The pets are great! They are always happy to see me and snuggle. Well, except the goldfish. He just swims over as a greeting.

Everyone, Does being "young" (like us) and dealing with cancer affect your treatment plan? I was wondering if the MO recommends more aggressive treatment because we have 30, 40 or more years to live after we have kicked cancer out.

And thanks, the poppy avatar makes me feel a little bit happier.

Poppy

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

poppy- did you have drains or do you still have them? If not, it sounds to me like you have an accumulation if fluids. 

• PoppyK

My PS doesn't like drains and doesn't use them often. He prefers to not use them and thereby eliminate a possible source of infection. Which means the fluids stay in place until they are reabsorbed. So I didn't have drains, but was really swollen after surgery.

I am probably just thinking too much and wanting the swelling to go away. I am tired of being sore and tired.

Thanks for the support!

Poppy

• Tomboy

What! No drains??? i didnt like them, but i thought they were necessary? i didnt know we got a choice. what about compression? did you have one of those sort of tube tops with velcro? no instructiond about watching what you do with your arms, or weight constrictions? now i am getting worried for you. i had bruising that didnt go away until radiation, and there is always a faint shadow of what seems like a bruise to me there. was your arm measured before the surgery by a lymphedema therapist? i had a huge hematoma, and a seroma that had to be aspirated once, i should have had it done once more in my own opinion. hang in there, and nice to meet you Poppy! love your avatar!

• PoppyK

No drains. I've seen a few other postings mentioning no drains, but it doesn't seem common.

I was given one of those sexy Velcro binders. Strongest Velcro I have ever seen! I was given extensive post op instructions and have had follow up appointments with the SO and PS.  I've been keeping the girls still. Tried not to do too much. I haven't lifted anything heavy and have done my arm exercises. My arm was not measured pre-surgery, but it looks the same to me. The swelling is a bit on my sides and the girls.

Kathec- I love your avatar, too! Very striking!

Poppy

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

wow, no drains,,,  never heard of that.  My PS told me that I would most likely get one just to have my dog ear removed.