Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• KKay5525
    KKay5525 Member Posts: 36

luvmygoats - I got the job as NA once I realized that they were the ones hired for RN jobs first. I have done clinicals for 2 years and have learned a lot, but the NA position has really helped me to deal with people and not be afraid. I BEG the RN's to let me help as I am certified as NAII which allows me to do certain small procedures. I listen, ask questions and give advice ! Ha - The docs love it when the NA gives them advice :-) Ha - just my controlling nature…... I just had a thought - maybe that's why I have such a hard time with cancer…. I can't control it..hummm. Just wish I had started earlier in life…..school that is.

Rads were fine…just scary the first day…. Took my mom today so she could see what they do. As I lay on the table, high in the air, my mom ask "how much weight can that table hold?" THANKS MAMA! She is so funny - I weight like 150 - table can hold 400 - She made everyone laugh :-) Fun times, fun times…..

Have a great day - and I love goats too!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

Here's the redipe for Pumpkin Muffin Stuffing

1 TBS Olive Oil

2 TBS Butter

1 med Onion, chopped

2 Celery Ribs, chopped

1 Golden Delicious Apple, unpeeled, finely chopped

1 sm yellow squash, chopped

Salt and blk pepper

1 tsp poultry seasoning

1 cup shelled natural pistachios, chopped

4 pumpkin muffins, either purchased or homemade.

1 cup chicken stock

In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter into the olive oil. When the butter melts into the oil, add the onions, celery, apples and squash. Season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. Sauté the veggies and fruit for 5 minutes. Add the chopped nuts and then crumble in all of the muffins. Moisten the stuffing with cup of chicken stock. Turn off the heat and then fluff with fork before serving
  • glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Sounds really yummy.

• mel147
    mel147 Member Posts: 291

Thanks, Mac! I copied and pasted the recipe into my files!

Happy

• macatacmv

your welcome. It is so yummy! I made a turkey caserole and used it as the topping. With a dash of cranberry sauce it was like having Thanksgiving all over again.

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58

Hi ladies,

Well, the last of my family left yesterday. I'll miss them! We had a great time for our multiple holidays. I laughed when I read some of your posts. Thanks for the chuckles. Elimar, what a saga! I had to carry an epi-pen in my purse for my son's food allergies when he was little. He outgrew them. Whew! Also, so many of you ladies have all these talents (decorating, cooking etc.) that are a pleasure to read.

So, my big deal is I love setting a very festive table. I did my snowman theme (doesn't every California woman have snowman dishes?????). It looked like disneyland on the table. I had rope lights coiled perpendicular to the table, individual craft items per place setting, snowflake napkin rings, silver glittered place cards, mirror lake, on and on. I've teased my kids- I've said that on my tombstone, it should read "She set a nice table". Ha ha ha. It took me half a day to just pack it away.

I also had a small wooden decorated box with a hasp per guest. When they opened up the box, I had a handwritten private note to each- just a few sentences about something about them that made me so happy & they had traveled to be with us. There were some loose choc chips sprinkled inside. Everything was warm and wonderful! My son flew in from NY. He's devoting his life to cancer research (brain mets from melanoma is what he thinks he'll be doing)- so someone in our family will be getting revenge on cancer! (He's in the MD PhD program at NYU. He's 23.).

My company saving recipe is a premade breakfast casserole. People can get up and eat when they want. I have everything laid out. We stayed up and played games until late, but the kids stayed up even later. So, a self-serve breakfast works for me.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

great post Deborah2012. Thanks for sharing. I hope your son knocks cancer to the curb!!! Sounds like you raised him right!

• macatacmv

deborah, sounds like a great celebration. Making memories.

good to see you eph, your celebration is coming up, right?

We had a celebration for my aunt's 100 th birthday tonight. A small family dinner with cupcakes. she was happy surrounded by people who love her. someone gave her a bunch of rainbow roses. Has anyone seen these before?

A special rose for a special lady, Margot Weston

my DD made the cupcakes, yummy!!

• macatacmv

A special rose for a special lady, Margot Weston

• macatacmv

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

I haven't seen anything like that!

• eph3_12

How do they do that?

Our Thanksmas got pushed back a week so everyone will be here the 19th. It's all good!

• macatacmv

from what i read on the web they inject dye into white roses while they are growing.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

• KKay5525
    KKay5525 Member Posts: 36

Wow, that's pretty cool! I love them - will add to my list of "must have".

Have a happy day!

• glennie19

Wow,, very interesting!!  And very pretty!!

• mel147
    mel147 Member Posts: 291

I've never seen those rainbow roses before - very neat!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Wow - I think this might be the quietest I have ever known the middies to be - 7 days with nary a peep! I must admit that I am guilty for being a lurker and not posting much. Hope that y'all are just busy with Chirstmasy/family/friend stuff.

• glennie19

Busy over here!  Had last doctor appt for the year. YAY!!  Healing up good from HX, no more post op visits needed. So I just have PT visits for the rest of the year!

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296

i just typed a post and it dissapeared...anyway...ive just been doing the taxatore chemo thing and this drug makes me really I'll so just been laying low. Mostly just bad GI stuff but it did take me to the hospital 3 weeks ago for a week with an infection and a WBC of 700. I am starting to feel decent after my most recent tx a week ago Fri...still GI stuff but nothing major. My son is in the Christmas play at Church tomorrow as a lead role and I actually am going to be up to it. Yay! It's funny AC was easy for me and it was supposed to be the hard one...go figure. Glad I'm feeling better though. Now looking forward to Christmas dh's family next Saturday. Making tons of candy since I'm not doing the cooking. It feels good to do normal stuff! I did most of my Christmad shopping online but I'm DONE! My final tx is Dec 26th so I'll feel good on Christmas with my little family. Just me, my 19 year old, my 12 year old and dh. Dh is grilling ribs. It will be fun! Have a Merry Christmas Everyone!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Cool, justamy! My last chemo was dec 27th, 2012! I was sooo happy it was after Christmas! I almost felt great! Happy holidaze to everyone, and my wish is for everyone to come back and visit here, after the first of the year, I miss you

• PoppyK

I'm checking in almost every day and reading updates. I got sick this week (week 2 after final chemo) and my oncologist put me on antibiotics. I think they are slowly working. Best news is my RO is starting my radiation right after Christmas instead of before... to give my body a little more time to recover! I'm happy because I'll have more time to get ready for Christmas... and a little time to pretend I'm a normal human.

• macatacmv

This is how I feel. I am being brought though the decorating by a good friend that is staying with me until her house is ready. She is a real decorator nut. I had just gotten home from a trip up to the city to see my BS and get my mammo. which by the way, had no cause for concern!!! Yay! And she was like, let's go get the tree! So now I have a tree up with lights on it. I needed to get more lights today. So I am basking in the light of a Christmas tree. Now that it is up it is wonderful.

I am just worn out from the trip. My DD and I did some marathon shopping while off in the world. So I am getting stuff together for the holiday. Next week is my Gyn appt. Once I get through that it will be smooth sailing for a bit.

Hope all the yucky feelings clear up so the holidaze can be enjoyed.

• eph3_12

Tomboy aren't you kathec? or has my mind finally snapped?

• Tomboy

your mind is fine, eph, its me. i got concerned about using my real name, plus i was hoping i would start acting like a fearless tomboy again soon! good eye!

• eph3_12

Your avatar is kinda unique girl!

• PoppyK

When I first saw Tomboy post, I got annoyed that someone was using Kat's art avatar. Then I heard the same voice... and put it together.

• Tomboy

That is a painting i made of the back of me, I painted it from a photo that i asked my man to take, a couple of years before dx, i was feeling so strong, and then i had so much fun painting it! I am wild about colors!

• Tomboy

....PoppyK, ``) !!!

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58

Hello middies,

Fun to see all of your posts and pix. Sending good will and smiles to those who are undergoing treatment at this time of year. I went to a local AMC "Look Good, Feel Better" class mostly for information. If you are unaware of this national FREE program... and are undergoing chemo or radiation, they are there to show you make-up and wig fitting/care/shopping tips. They have free stuff for you. It's for any cancer but, the BC ladies were over represented. Small statistical sample so-to-speak.

Just finished sewing Christmas table runner, napkins and bread basket cloth for in-laws. Getting ready to make latkes for first night of Hanukkah. Made xmas cookies and decorated those last week. Oy vey, will the eating never stop????? I'm getting one of those fitbit with the heart monitors in January. Think of all the guilt I'm storing up already!