Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

oh silly me, I didn't even look at the dates in you dx line, amy! My brain is residing else where lately. We'll be with you in spirit. How long will you be in the hospital? Do something fun for yourself before surgery. Do you have family that will take care of you after? I found with a little practice I got pretty good at telling other people what to do for me. I really liked my friends that would come over and do the laundry with out me having to ask. But others would get mad when I wouldn't call them to tell them what to do. There are times in this process where I couldn't even pick up the phone. So if you have that one close friend or family member confide how you feel about asking for help and maybe they would do it for you. One of the biggest lessons I have learned is to make sure I take care of me and that means relying on others. Don't try to tough it out. This is the time to ask for help and let people take care of you. Be sure to come on here and tell us about every little thing that is bugging you. That's what we are here for.

Are you a football fan? there's a huge distraction!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Mac: I'll report in after yoga today.  I've done Tai Chi before and it is pretty gentle. I feel like I need  class to help me get motivated again and keep going on exercise,, so we'll see!!

Amy:   Best of luck on Tues,, we are here for you!!!

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58

Hi Amy, glad to see you've found us.

I had a send off ceremony for my breast two days before my MX. I will paste the link below. I was caught up with cancer, I hadn't dealt with losing my breast. You may come up with your own send off/memorialization or acknowledgement before your surgery. It really helped me immensely. Also, I have a very thorough blog on Tissue Expanders called "Tissue Expander 101 and Fun With Its Magnet" that has photos and all details that I wasn't aware of before my MX. I also have a humorous photo about when you go for your first TE fill.

If you need help with understanding the quick and easy way to strip surgical drains- we know all about it! Think Linguini and use an alcohol pad for lubrication to slide your tube. We'll explain later if needed. We're here to help with practical and emotional support. Enjoy the links.

http://www.rockthefoob.com/my-breast-send-off-cere..

http://www.rockthefoob.com/tissue-expander-101/

http://www.rockthefoob.com/do-you-think-i-should-h...

Lastly, although we Middies rock, if you haven't already done so, there may be a February 2015 Surgery thread on BCO where all the women on it are have MXs and BMXs. My cohort was February 2012. Those women were just fantastic. In fact, it's our 3 year anniversary and some of them are posting again about how things have progressed.

Best to you, and we're all here for you to help you navigate in a 100% safe place.

Many hugs & smiles to you.

Deborah2012

• mel147
    mel147 Member Posts: 291

barsco - wow...I can't even imagine how disappointed that man must have been to lose out by only 7 seconds! Here's hoping you and your husband get a winning ticket one of these weeks!

mac - too funny that you actually won while trying to warn your kids about the lottery!

glennie - hope your yoga went well!

amy - will be thinking about you on Tuesday! May you have a successful and uncomplicated surgery and a speedy recovery!!

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I will go in Tuesday and out Wednesday as long as all goes well. I went out for my birthday this weekend and plan on just staying home tomorrow. Well not really...I forgot we are going out to buy me a recliner which will be delivered Wed. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. My 19 year old dd is going to be my primary caregiver while I recover, but she is not very empathetic, so that worries me a bit. As for football...I watch the Superbowl every year and that's about it...I still haven't decided who to root for and it starts in 25 minutes...I think the Patriots..Someone suggested I post on the surgery board as well as here and I have been...on the January one because I was supposed to have it in January but the PS was overbooked. That board has been a real blessing. I'll post after surgery. Thank you all! Hugs Amy

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Amy, I'm sure the January board has been a big help! The February board would be too new to let you know what to expect. When you are feeling up to it, I'm sure you can help the Feb people out by sharing your experience. The recliner will be wonderful as you recover. Who knows, your daughter may surprise you! One of the best things my friends did for me was bring meals. TakeTheAMeal.com is a wonderful site for menu scheduling. 5 minutes to set up, everything done by email. I requested meals 3 days a week. It was a blessing; no cooking, minimal clean up and very little grocery shopping. It was a great way for friends to help out!

• jenifere
    jenifere Member Posts: 94

Amy, best wishes and prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. It has been a long road! Keep us all posted when you are able. XXOO, Jeni

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

With Amy's upcoming surgery, I think it's time for a Pocket Party!! I will be jumping in to hang out with you on Tuesday Amy and I am sure there will be lots of others so wear something with lots of pockets! I have had lots of time on my hands lately so have whipped up a few yummy's. Should be something for everyone I think. Maybe someone else could bring some bevvies?

Don't worry about clean up Amy - we rarely leave anything behind but crumbs.
  • glennie19

ooo, barsco,, that look yummy indeed!  In the pocket, too.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Great Idea! 1st pocket party of 2015! Whoop!

• PoppyK

I'll be in your pocket, too, Amy!

• justamy

Looks like you guys have the party covered. I'm glad I have big pockets! There's room for everyone! Thank you all. Hugs.Amy

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58

Dearest Middies, please explain the etiquette for "pocket parties" for the uninitiated. thanks ever so much! Good luck tomorrow Justamy. We share the same Feb 3rd date for mastectomies. I'll be thinking of you.

Deborah2012

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Count me in for a pocket, or even some pocket hopping!

• chipmunk57
    chipmunk57 Member Posts: 28

Oooooooh, a party! I'm in!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Deborah, for pocket parties you make yourself small, and jump in! That way, someone will be comforted knowing you are in there! when you put on the gown, we jump onto the hem, so we are right there with you. once, it took a long time for me to get all the lint off, when i went to someone's pocket party, and another time, i found an old M&M to munch on! (and try to not make too much noise during the op itself, or it might get you noticed!

• glennie19

Yeah, one time I was playing my Ipod too loudly and got noticed.  And crunchy snacks get you noticed too.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

but crunchy Cheetos are

prerequisite !!!!!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

My keyboard is getting all sticky because I was noshing on that finger food (and slupring down a few libations, courtesy of Eph.)

Hope the surgery went well, justamy, and that you get released tomorrow as planned. I don't find hospitals restful at all, so the sooner you get home, the better, teen care-giving and all. Healing wishes going out to ya!

• macatacmv

amy, been thinking of you all day. gentle (((hugs))) I hope all that cheeto crunching didn't bother you! We can really celebrate with our virtual munchies.

I made it to the hospital today to get my blood work done and picked up my poop kit. oh joy! They gave me very detailed instructions.

tommy, how'd your procedure go?

I love this commercial they are showing on tv these days. People exercising in their hot tub. Oh please, when I am in a hot tub I am not thinking about exercising. Come to think of it, I don't think about exercising much.

• PoppyK

Amy, I hope everything went well today and that you are resting peacefully. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Does thinking about exercise count as exercise?

• glennie19

Who exercises in a hot tub?  That's nuts! I pulled a muscle in my brain thinking about exercise!

Hi Amy!  Hope all went well.   Mac had Cheetos and I had Nacho cheese Doritos, so I apologize for the orange-y mess in your pocket!

• mel147
    mel147 Member Posts: 291

Hi, Amy - I hope you are doing well and either home now or on your way home!! Love the pocket party...this is the first I heard about it! Hope the crowd wasn't too rowdy for you!

And...enjoy that new recliner!!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Eli - I see that you have pumped up the page with some great healing energy! Very thoughtful.

Amy - hope you are home now and resting comfortably. Sending some extra healing energy your way. The pocket party was a blast (sorry I had to skip out for a wee while to attend my gym class). I'm a little late checking in due to the shenanigans going on till the wee hours of the morning. (hope we didn't disturb you too much) These middies can parrrrrrtay!

I'm wishing I had a hot tub tonight. My muscles are starting to scream at me due to my "gentle fit" workout last night.

• macatacmv

isn't it funny how muscles we didn't even know we had hurt the most after exercise. Good for you, bars, keeping up with your class.

yes, we hadn't had a good PP in a while. That was fun. Now who is finding the hot male nurse to keep amy company while she recoups in her recliner.

• macatacmv

okay, why is there such a big space under my post?

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

...that IS weird,huh? probably entirely random...

my procedure went very well. I did the su prep, chugged it, then sucked on a lemon. the hardest part was drnking the last 16 oz cup. i did throw up some of that on the second part of the prep. i did not go far from the toilet, especiallly with pat two! i am glad i followed my instincts, and had Depends. whew! especially the middle of the night one! didnt get much sleep at all. all the people involved in the actuall ceremony were really nice, and i dont have to go back for ten years! i hope yours goes very well indeed too, macatac.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Was checking to see if justamy had posted, but I'm sure we'll hear from her after she gets some rest at home.

Tomboy, You definitely aced that test. Ace in the hole! (Sorry, the bad brain switch flips on all by itself.) Seriously, you got the ten year interval, and it doesn't get any better than that. Sorry you had such a pukey prep. I forgot to mention that my favorite prep is the Gatorade prep, so any with a colonoscopy on the horizon might want to ask about getting that one. The down side, it does have the "part two" phase at some ungodly middle of the night time.

My next oncologist visit is at the end of the month. Blood work. I don't feel anxious. It kind of feels like just going thru' the motions at this point. That's a good thing tho', isn't it? I can't guarantee it, but Newbies, it is possible that one day BC will not be at the forefront of your mind, as hard as that may be to believe today. (And I have always said that was one thing(*) I hated about cancer...how it just loomed over everything else like an ugly dark cloud. Then, one day, the sun peeks thru.)

image (*) Of course, I hated a LOT of other things about it too!!!!!

• justamy

hi guys. I am at home resting in my recliner. My surgery went as planned except they ended up taking out six lymph nodes because they couldn't decide which was the Sentinel lymph node. I am very sore. I am also concerned because my plastic surgeon put my tissue expanders under my armpit. So now I'm flat chest is in the front and has the strange boobs sticking out from the sides. I see both my surgeon and PS next week so hopefully they will be able to show me what's up. My pathology report is supposed to be in on Friday but he will probably wait to go over it in his office Monday. if all my nodes are clear then I'm done with treatment if they aren't lll do radiation. Just pray that they are clear.Thank you all for being there with me in my pocket

hugs

Amy.