Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Options

Comments

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 852
    edited March 2023
    Options

On the retirement issue, I am getting that question nearly every day it feels like, but definitely at least once a week...and I am really torn on the issue. I really love parts of what I do and I really don't other parts.

This past weekend I read the advice column of Carolyn Hax (Washington Post but in syndication) and what she had to say really got to me. She was referring to any yes/no decision: get married, get divorced, have kids, have more kids, move, retire, etc. etc. She said if the answer isn't a solid YES, then the answer is a NO.

I really liked that as I am clearly not a solid YES...so even in my bad moments when thoughts that make me consider retirement pop up, I'll still come back to no.

Thinking of you today Karen. TT

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,994
    edited March 2023
    Options

That is good advice, TT. You will KNOW when it's time to retire, at least I did (I still miss parts of my job, but LOVE the flexibility & lack of paperwork in my retirement life....I am surely never without things to do!).

Thinking of you today, Karen. So glad that DD #2 is coming home, both for your sake & for hers.

My Zumba class was canceled at the last minute, so a couple friends & I walked around the track at the fitness center for an hour. I will go to Pound tonight.

• coffeelatte
    coffeelatte Member Posts: 109
    edited March 2023
    Options

Wow, it has been a while since I have been on this site and I sure had a lot to catching up to do. I don't know what to say Karen except my thoughts and prayers are with you. I really appreciate all the time you have given to this forum to tell us about your new medical challenge. I have read most of your posts two and three times and I have learned so much from the information you have shared. I have heard about Multiple Myeloma a few times but I had no idea how involved the initial treatment plan would be. I can see why your mind is on overload. It seems to me your are handling this issue like a rock star. I can't even begin to imagine how frightened you must feel because you sound so strong and focused to me. Just remember you are in great shape from all your years of walking and your diet is so clean. Plus you have such a loving family and a great network of friends and colleagues. I think you are going into this treatment in a very good position. You may be 17 years older but you have taken such good care of yourself you will find strength to get through this initial treatment.

I am so glad your daughter is coming home for Passover. That is just what the doctor ordered to bring you a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel. Your children sound so wonderful. The flowers your son sent your brought me to tears. What a wonderful mother you are Karen. To be loved so much by your family tells it all. You've got this.

Lisa

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,514
    edited March 2023
    Options

Coffee - thanks for the kind words. I feel so blessed to have such wonderful caring children.

TT - I love the saying. I agree with her perspective. My close co-workers know two more years after this year but that could change. My gf who asked is the same age as me. I just want retirement to be on my terms, to be my choice, not a choice made for me.

Good visit with the hematologist. He answered all my questions. He is referring us to a transplant doctor for a consult- her speciality is multiple myeloma. Really liked what I read on the website and her video. Hematologist prescribed two additional meds and is putting me on Zometa - I think monthly. No more Prolia. I will get Zometa at second chemo as it needs pre-approval from my insurance and there wasn't enough time today. Felt okay, but tired for a couple hours after the two injections but then started feeling lousy - took a Zofran at 4:30 and will take another when I go to bed. The Revlimid is also taken at bed. The two new meds are Singular to take for 3 days starting day of injection and Albuterol inhaler as needed. Hope I feel better tomorrow. We moved chemo to Fridays so next one is not till April 7th. I see the hematologist monthly but have labs weekly. So total meds I'm taking for the MM are 9 Rx (2 are PRN) and 3 OTC. Plus the meds I've been taking. Don't even want to figure out that total. I'm a walking pharmacy. Happy

All my kids checked in with me today, including my SIL. Thankfully by text so I didn't have to talk.

Still waiting for the neck CT scan to be scheduled. Endocrinologist called me last Tuesday to say it was being ordered. I'd have to look at my patient portal to see when I was actually sent. I may call tomorrow or send message on the portal.

Starting back to see my Nephrologist. The only appointment he has before the end of June is a telehealth appointment in about 2 1/2 right after chemo #3. I don't want to wait 3 months.

When I asked hematologist about stem cell transplant - was it a given, he said I can't force you to do it, but it's best to do it when I'm healthier and not doing it can cause more damage to my kidneys. I wasn't questioning doing the SCT, but more wanted to know timelines. The next bone marrow biopsy will be 2-4 after finishing the 4 cycles of chemo in mid July.

i ordered flavor free protein powder. I will added to a smoothie, teal or water to help maintain my weight and not loose more. I'm eating but not a lot.

I texted my brother to ask him to call me when he has time in the next couple days. He is Eastern time in Ohio (2 hours earlier than mountain time) and he wanted to know how late I would be up. I told him 10 or 10:30 and that I'm up quite early. DH will call his brother tomorrow.

DD#2 will be here for two of my chemos. I will have her go to #2 - I think she will like that. They only allow one visitor. It shouldn't be more than an hour total. She did well on the final on her birthday that she thought she failed. She was so happy and proud of herself. Dad and I are also proud of her - even when she doesn't do well on a test or in the class. It's a very hard program and she is doing it in he second language.

Cold, cold today. Didn't walk at all today when DH walked. Wasn't feeling good enough in the afternoon and after dinner, I was slightly better but it was COLD. Anymore I'm a wimp in the cold. Also, I didn't want to push the limits too far. Hopefully I'll be up to walking tomorrow.

Sweet dreams.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2023
    Options

Karen, I'm glad Day 1 is over, and hope that you are feeling not-so-lousy tomorrow. Coffee is right; you are strong and focused!

I don't know if you are sending us your weather, but it is very cold here & is supposed to snow again tomorrow. We are breaking records in a very bad way!

• rahrah2023
    rahrah2023 Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hey Ruthbru,

I feel so much better after my walk. First day of spring looks colddddd Smile. I lived in Massachusetts for 13 years and I do not missed snowed in days but it definitely beautiful to look at. Going on my 3rd treatment and so far it is getting much easier to manage

Take care

• karen1956
    edited March 2023
    Options

I'm drinking the protein powder with water, but just 6oz as if I drink more, then I won't have room to eat anything. I lost weight with BC chemo (TAC) but I had weight I could loose - I've always say be careful what you ask for as I had wanted to loose 10# and get through menopause and I did, but now how I planned.

DD#2 told DH that she would get me to eat. She said I needed to eat peanut butter during Passover - I did the last time during chemo. I will eat what I need to eat. During my BC chemo I ate whatever tasted good. I'm eating, just not a lot and I"m not snacking. The not snacking is probably the culprit for the weight loss.

UHC approved the Zometa - I think it might be weekly - They approved it for a year. My vein on my left side is shot so I'm using my right arm - BC/axillary dissection. Oncologist said my risk of LE is 30% over my lifetime. BS said she only took out first layer to minimize risk of LE.

Insurance pre-authorized the CT scan of neck and it's scheduled for this Monday. I also got an appointment with the transplant oncologist - but not till May 10th. That was her first opening. It took a lot of perseverance on my part, dialed the number 10 times till I got someone instead of voice mail.

Strong winds here - up to 50mph. The wind is loud in the house. There is a wild fire in Morrison which is just SW of Denver, near Red Rocks. Red Rocks is a great concert venue.

DH and I don't follow sports. So we only know what is going on from the news.

Have a great Friday and Saturday

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

I ate a lot of mashed potatoes during chemo, which is probably why I did NOT lose weight! Glad you have gotten things approved on the insurance end & finally got through to a real person so you could get the appointment with the transplant doc. You wonder what happens to people who aren't as on the ball as it takes a lot of effort to get things in place even if you are.

You are sending your weather here, Karen. South & east of here are a mess with rain/ice/snow and the winds. We are just getting the winds so it's okay in town, but no travel is advised on the highways. Next week another Colorado Low might bring us more bad weather. What a spring!

I spent almost the whole day cooking! I made a lemon cake (which was an experiment as I added & subtracted ingredients from the recipe), dinner for our friends whose wife is sick, cookies for another couple who are dealing with some health challenges, and a nice supper for us. I actually don't like cooking that much, so may need to pour myself a glass of wine to recover from my day in the kitchen! I did a 30 minute ab DVD & a little dancing around with Marshall Fitness on utube.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Yoga Strength this morning. We are having company for dinner, so more cooking for me!

• trmtab
    edited April 2023
    Options

DH packing up for a week's business in Boulder, travel out early Sunday, home late late Friday, ugh!

Wednesday it will be 82 here (unusually high) but only a high of 39 there with an overnight low of 13...yikes!

Between Passover, Holy Week, Ramadan...and no doubt others, plus for us K-12 school is on recess... really can't believe the timing of this trip...it's all a bunch of guys and no one wants to be the one to say "really, with all the holidays, isn't this a bad week"

Whatever, I plan to clean the house, do the last of my grocery shopping for the week ahead and then go to a candlelight yoga.

Happy Sunday all...TT

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Today is the first day that I feel pretty good since the injections last Monday. Ran a few errands to TJs and King Soopers. Produce DD#2 or DH can get on Tuesday or Wednesday. I got veggies that last - carrots, squash etc.

DH is doing the ovens. Slowly I'm doing the kitchen fridge and freezer. Counter tops and sinks will get done on Wednesday by DD#2 and DH. Plus they will do most of the cooking. I made a list of "to do" and I put myself down to cook two things. Everything will get done in time. I'm pacing myself to not wear myself out or over do it. But it hurts to know that I can't do so much. Under normal circumstances I could have worked in the kitchen all day today and cooked after work M and T. Oh well. I'm just grateful for the extra few days before the injections again on Friday.

Gorgeous out today - sunny, blue sky and high 60s. Similar for tomorrow. Tuesday chance of snow and low 40s Tuesday and Wednesday. Then warming up starting on Thursday into next week.

TT - Agree with you - who schedules a business trip this week!!

Back to cleaning the fridge. Tomorrow is back to work - 2 more months to go.

Have a great Sunday.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

We are having a beautiful, sunny 40 degree day. BUT Tuesday/Wednesday we are expecting a massive storm with 12-24 inches of snow!! Yikes!! Tomorrow I will be getting groceries and more gas for the snowblower! If I were still teaching, I'd be getting online learning lessons ready....what a crazy weather year! I walked at the fitness center & went to flow yoga this afternoon.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Zumba this morning and I think I will go to Pound tonight since this is our forecast:

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Well, the hospital messed up my appointment that was supposed to be this morning. Thankfully they figured it out before I left. I was working at home on professional development till time to leave. They schedule me for an Ultrasound again instead of the nuclear CT scan. So now the nuclear CT scan is next Wednesday. I go for injection of whatever then come back 3 hours later for the scan.

Tired from working today and there were no kiddos as it was a professional development/work day. Wonder what tomorrow will bring. I'm glad to have this week to feel good at the sedars. But I'm worried about how I'll handle work once I start the injection chemo again on Fridays, starting this Friday. I put up gefilte fish while making dinner (just put the gefilte fish roll in a pan of boiling water, cover with foil and cook for an hour or so. Going to also make meatballs in a bit. That might be the end of my cooking. DH will cook the brisket tomorrow and the chickens on Wednesday. Will giufe out who is making what side dish.

DD is in Atlanta awaiting her flight to Denver. It scheduled to leave in just over 20 minutes. She wants "real" food to eat when she gets home. I made stir fry veggie rice for dinner tonight with enough for leftover for 2!!!

Better get the meatballs up before I crash. Been up since 4:45!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,760
    edited April 2023
    Options

Karen: So glad the hospital called and admitted their mistake before you left home for your appointment. I'm sure your dd can't wait to give you a giant hug. Enjoy your sedar meal together. Good luck on Friday. Hope the injection is easy on you.

Ruth: I cannot believe the weather you have had this winter. All that snow and the wind gusts sounds awful!

I've been walking some since the last time I posted. Need to get busy bc I'm having Easter lunch at my house. It will be for dh, dd, sil, ds, and his new gf. Have to make sure the house looks nice bc this will be the first time meeting ds's new gf.

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Pushed myself a little too much yesterday. I was wiped by 9pm. Also waited up for DD#2 to get home - DH made the treck to the airport. They got here at midnight which is what I predicted. 4.5 hours sleep is not quite enough!!! From leaving her apartment to getting to our house - DD#2 travel was 29 hours - flight time about 25 hours. WAs so nice to get a big hug. I'm sure she will be exhausted today as she generally doesn't sleep when she has an early morning flight. The taxi picked he up at 4am. She doesn't go to bed till 12:30 or 1:00am.

Cold and snow in the forecast, but only up to 2" for the city. 30 degrees colder than yesterday. By Thursday warming up to the 70s next week. Not ready for that heat yet.

Have a great Tuesday.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Glad DD made it safely home, Karen. Since she should be tired out from traveling, I hope you can chill out together.

It wasn't yet snowing at 8:00, so I went to my Pound class and walked around the track at the fitness center for awhile. It's snowing now, but the wind hadn't started up yet so I plan to do one more errand (get dog food) while I can.

• trmtab
    edited April 2023
    Options

Went to yoga at lunchtime, DH said it is snowing in Boulder, 79 here in SE Virginia!

So Happy your daughter made it back for the start of Passover! TT

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Passover starts tomorrow night. I won't be on the computer Wednesday night through Saturday night. The 1st sedar is 4 of us - DH, DS, DD#2 and me. 2nd sedar is 3 - DS has to work. DH and DD#2 will do a lot of cooking tomorrow as well as clean the house. She went to the grocery store today and made Passover cookies with Almond Flour. Friday she will make chicken soup. She really is a good cook/baker and likes to cook/bake. For a Mom who didn't like to cook with the kids cuz it slowed me down, all my kids are good cooks.

Dreading chemo on Friday based on the first one. I sure hope the side effects are not cumulative like TAC chemo was for me. DD#2 is coming with me.

I'll probably check in tomorrow morning before work.

Sweet dreams.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

I'm so glad DD#2 is home and you will be together for Passover, Karen.

We got 8 plus inches of snow and it's still blowing like crazy. Nobody can get out yet so the Wednesday Walking Women exercised and/or shoveled on our own. Here's the group collage.

• coffeelatte
    edited April 2023
    Options

Bravo for the Wednesday Walking Women keeping their exercise commitment on Wednesday in spite of the snow. Your group sure does motivate me.

So I had an appointment today with a trainer at a smaller gym in my area that is for 55 and older adults only. It was really nice inside with nice cardio equipment and a good amount of workout machines. I am hoping I can increase my muscle mass a little bit as I am losing muscle like crazy in spite of my regular walking (2-5 miles five days a week), two days of line dancing, 3-4 30-minute sessions on my exercise bike a week, plus extra dancing in my kitchen when I feel motivated to do so. Unfortunately, my legs are losing muscle fast. I also have very flabby, weak arms. I have lymphedema so I have not been using my upper body during my workouts for years (like 10).

Well, I scored low on most of the little tests (but it was good information). For instance, I was asked to hold a plank as long as I could and I only made it 12 seconds (the norm for my age is 40 seconds). The trainer was encouraging and was careful not to push due to age and lots of injuries collected through the years. At least I did well on the balance tests (with eyes closed) so I was pleased with that. And I did surprisingly well when standing up and sitting down in a chair as many times as I could for 2 minutes. But the rest was a struggle. I will go back tomorrow for another appointment with the trainer to see how I handle the machines. I am not a gym person usually but I might consider this for six months (which is the minimum commitment they will allow). It depends on how I feel tomorrow.

Two negatives are the high monthly cost and the location. It is 13 miles from home and takes 20-25 minutes to get there. But at least I am looking into new options for trying to gain a little muscle. How do you ladies maintain and/or build muscle? Also, I am like Karen, I struggle to keep weight on due to health issues and past surgeries. It is all so frustrating.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Coffee, I think you SHOULD join the gym. It would be good to have someone who knows what they are doing design a program (I find that when I pay for something, I am much more likely to do it!). When I started back with upper body work, I first just did the movements with no weights & then slowly added some weights back in....although I still only use lighter weights. My GP pointed out that 'normal' soreness should be expected when you haven't been using the muscles i(n any part of your body) & getting your arms strong should actually reduce the risks of lymphedema flares because you are moving the blood more efficiently through the channels. I think as we age we really have to purposefully add weights & balance/stretching work to our exercise programs if we want to keep our defined muscles and to evenly keep up with our day to day activities.

We are still digging out here. My fitness center is back open so I will go to Dance2fit (where every other song is done using light/medium weights & Yoga (strength/stretching/balance/breath work).

• wonderland
    edited April 2023
    Options

Karen: I know you are excited to have most of your children home for Passover. Good luck tomorrow!

Ruth: It amazes me how quickly your state digs out of so much snow and gets businesses back open.

coffeelatte: Your new potential gym sounds awesome!

Push mowed for 80 minutes.

• coffeelatte
    edited April 2023
    Options

Ruth, thank you for your wisdom. I will put the weights aside for now and do the arm exercises without them until I feel stronger. I felt good after two days at the gym. I have two more 30-minute sessions with the trainer and another week to decide if this gym is for me. Ruth, after reading what you wrote, I have decided to join for six months. I really do need the help and I need to look at this as an investment in my health and not a luxury item. I plan to go tomorrow morning and do the three machines I have learned. One is a seated arm machine that looks like the arms are peddling a bicycle. I could only do 5 minutes yesterday. I could not peddle one more rep. It was a good feeling to I will treat myself and go do my little workout. Normally I would be doing laundry and prepping for Sunday dinner, but I have decided it is important to carve out some time to work out.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Great job, Coffee! Taking time for our health is the most important investment we can make!!

Karen, hope you aren't feeling too crummy after your treatment.

Wonderland, my sister is hosting my brother's family for a North Carolina and Easter & she is REALLY hoping that the predicted colder weather & rain doesn't materialize!

I walked around the track at my gym for an hour this morning, came home & did a 30 minute pilates DVD, and then braved the swarms of shoppers who were out and about. Everyone must be stir-crazy from being stuck at home for most of the week and/or they were trying to buy their Easter groceries before tomorrow when it will be even busier!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Good Saturday morning! I am going to Yoga Strength in a few minutes & will get in some sort of aerobic activity later today. This afternoon one of Bruno's dog friends & his mistress will come over. We ladies will visit, and the dogs will run around mashing down the snow in the backyard!

• wonderland
    edited April 2023
    Options

Coffeelatte: I'm so proud of you! It will soon become a habit for you to go to your gym and you'll look forward to going.

Ruth: Thursday was 84 degrees and muggy. Yesterday and today have been lots of rain and highs in the 40s. Tomorrow will be beautiful! Rain rolling out over night and temperature in the low 60s. Hope Bruno had fun with his friend.

My exercise has been cooking and cleaning house tomorrow. I'm meeting my ds's new gf. Ds is in Love with her and I can't wait to meet her!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Excited to hear about the GF, Wonderland!

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Treatment #2 has been a little easier than #1. I came home and took a long nap and slept on and off most of the day. Little stamina. Yesterday I felt a little better so that was good. I've been up since 4:30am and my stomach is not right so I too a compazine. Will see how the day goes.

My DH and DD#2 took care of all the food for the 1st two sedars, Shabbat dinner and Shabbat lunch. Now we need to figure out the menu for the next few days. I have an idea for mains - its just the sides. DS is going to try to come for dinner Monday night so he can see his sister one more time.

Been snacking the past two nights when I get up so I've put a little weight cack on. But then I wake up and not hungry.

The temp is heating up here - should be in the low 80s T, W - too hot for my blood this time of year.

Happy Easter to all who celebrate. Have a great Sunday.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hope you are feeling okay today, Karen. When does your DD have to leave? (One of my friend's daughter moved to Australia. My friend, a retired teacher, got a job at the airport so that she could visit her more often. Maybe that should be your second career! Happy)

We had a very nice Easter (despite the fact that DH had a colonoscopy scheduled for today so he could only slurp chicken broth & drink apple juice). Today I went to Zumba & am going back to Pound......need to get some of the holiday weight off (again!).

Wonderland, what's the verdict on DS's girlfriend?