Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Options

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,514
    edited April 2023
    Options

Worked wiped me out!! I figured it would, but I need it. I'm not even going for a walk as I feel that will be too much and you all know how much I like my walks.

I wear a KN95 at work all day. I have been since Dx. It is hard wearing a mask for 8 hours. I took it off at recess duty and if I'm in my office alone which isn't much of the day.

75 today and 80s tomorrow and Wednesday.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,997
    edited April 2023
    Options

It is hard to wear a mask all day! 80s are a little too hot for April, I think. I sure hope that doesn't happen here or all the snow will melt at once and we will have a bigger flood than they are already prediciting.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,760
    edited April 2023
    Options

Karen: Please rest when you need to. Good to know that you're snacking. Thinking of you everyday.

Ruth: At least your dh had broth and juice to feel included with everyone.

Well, I really, really like my ds's new gf! She fit right it with all of us. After we finished eating, she insisted on taking all the dirty dishes off the table and loading them in the dishwasher. She's a keeper in my books!

Beautiful day. Blue skies and high in low 60s. Did yard work for 2 hours and then walked/ran.

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Wonder - glad you like DS new GF. I'm really not snacking. Weight is staying down - I eat as much as I can at meals, but if I snack much, then I can't eat at lunch or dinner. I'm not really hungry when I wake up in the morning so eat something just before I leave.

It is nice having someone cook dinner for you, but not so nice when you don't have the energy so it's not a choice. DD2 is amazing. DH and DD will be in charge of cooking the last couple days of Passover which start tonight.

It was great having my DS coming over as well. He is still trying to process the diagnosis and treatment and figure it out and compare to 17 years ago.

I was exhausted when I got into bed at 10 last night that I was in tears - I'm already worn out by it all, part of it is the multiple specialty medical appointments. AS tired as I am when I go to bed, 6 hours sleep is it - at least I'm not waking up a couple times and moving to the sofa. SO I've been awake since 4 am. Didn't get out of bed till closer to 5 as my watch didn't charge - so I put it back on the charger and it still didn't charge - turns out it wasn't in the outlet!!

Sandal weather today!

Have a great Tuesday.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Oh gosh, Karen, I am so sorry you are going through all this. I don't have any good advice, but hope you can figure out a balance that won't exhaust you. I can tell you that my friend who went through the treatments you are enduring & had a stem cell transplant is doing very well. She is back to subbing (which she loves), going to her grandson's hockey games, & planning summer camping trips. So there can be light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

I went to Pound class this morning & am tempting fate by moving the heavy winter coats, sweaters etc. down to the basement closet. Hopefully that won't jinx our warmup! Tonight I'm going to Zumba where are teacher has promised that we will have a special guest. So that should be interesting!

In a few minutes I'm meeting my teacher's assistant of many years for lunch; so has been recently diagnosed with BC. I will mostly listen, but hope I can give a little helpful advice & encouragement. Sigh........

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Ruth - thanks for the positive story. I hope I'll be one of the lucky ones. The big concern is that it tends to come back but it's the amount of time in "remission" that I'm hoping is long.

Endocrinologist changed appointment to virtual since I'm not getting the Prolia - that is fine by me. I had messaged the office via patient portal to let her know Hematologist switched me to Zometa.

Virtual visit with Nephrologist on Friday morning after chemo.

Not as wiped out from work today. Thankfully, I'm off tomorrow and Thursday for the last two days of Passover so a short work week. DH and DD prepared everything for dinner tonight and for tomorrow night.

85F this afternoon - same for tomorrow then cooling to 70s Th and 50s Friday. Crazy spring time in the Rockies. At least it's not snow.

Have a great couple days. I won't be online till Thursday night or Friday morning.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

I thought this was worth sharing:

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 852
    edited April 2023
    Options

Got 5.5 hrs sleep last night, I don't know how you do it Karen with little numbers on sleep...I am sluggish and headachy (sp?)

Been a good week for getting to the gym 4 days in a row, off to Tai Chi soon...while not cardio it is weirdly aerobic.

After a dip in temps (and DH was in snow last week in Boulder), we are back to 70-80 in SE Virginia for a series of 5 days...I think this is the first winter we haven't had ANY snow that I can remember.

Glad you got to have your DD home for Passover, holding you close each day.

I did my taxes in Jan/Feb, but since we owe put off filing. DH will come to my office this evening to review my handiwork and send it off! Happy Wednesday, TT

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello to all! Back on this thread after a long absence. Have seriously fallen off the exercise wagon. No time for exercise the week preceding departure for Italy (Naples) on Sunday, March 12th. Went with cousin from Cleveland to meet up with her brother & wife. Brother is in the Navy and lives outside Naples. Fun times in Florence, Rome, Naples area, Amalfi Coast. Scheduled to return on 31st, but due to flight delays, not home until 1st. Very jet lagged and started to ease back into exercise on M, T, W. Got hit with an upper respiratory infection on Th and have been recuperating since. Dr visit on Mon confirmed lungs clear and PCR test ruled out Covid, Flu A, Flu B and RSV. Hope to start back up next week!

Karen - Oh my goodness, what news. Sending positive, healing energies to you as you bravely face this new challenge. So glad you have your family around you for Passover. Love and light to you and your family on Passover and always!

Karen - I know this is a very hectic time for you, so please (and thanks) asking for advice on something, whenever possible. Our Daughter celebrates her conversion to Judaism on April 29th at a Shabbos Blessing in Brooklyn, NY. Is there any special religious related gift you can think of that we could give her to commemorate this occasion?

Thanks, Ruth for keeping up with this thread and your fun photos of both snow and sunny FL and thanks to others for your photos, etc., as well.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Welcome back, Celiac! Italy sounds wonderful! Glad you are feeling better after your post-vacation respiratory infections.

The brother of one of the Wednesday Walking Women is a coach at the local college. He unlocked the arena and let us walk there today. You might be able to guess that their school colors are orange and black! 😀

• trmtab
    edited April 2023
    Options

After Tai Chi at lunch, my DH and I walked up to my office this early evening to finish our taxes and then walked the downtown to find a place for dinner (Mr Fitbit said we got an hours walk roundtrip)...with the 80 degree temps everyone was out looking for an al fresco dinner...after being turned away from four places we were able to get spots at without a second's wait just 2 weeks back, finally got a spot at the bar of a local place where DH and I split a salad and a burger...as in one burger, one roasted beet salad. At our age (early 60's) half a salad and 1/3, 2/3 burger is just perfect, so glad I have aged out of the menu "pressure" to order more...in fact despite my DH's roll of the eyes on my ordering style, I've been doing this for upwards of 20 years at our local spots where we know the menus! Happy mid-week, last night of Passover, always love the WWW picture! TT

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Pound this morning, cleaned the house, Dance2fit & Yoga tonight.

• wonderland
    edited April 2023
    Options

Karen: Hope you are feeling as good as you can.

Celiac: Your trip sounds awesome! Sorry it ended with an upper respiratory infection but glad to hear your lungs are clear.

TT: Restaurant meals are getting bigger. I usually take half of my meal home (unless I'm very hunger).

Ruth: Great WWW picture!

Dh and I spread 50 bales of pine needles around the house and areas in the yard on Tuesday and Wednesday. Lots of squatting. Walked/ran today.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

It's raining here (cray weather!), so I met a couple friends up at the fitness center for an indoor walk.

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Weather is crazy here - it's snowing now - after mid 80s T,W and 80 with clouds yesterday. It's gray and cloudy and minus the snow, looks like the midwest out. It's cold and damp.

Celiac - DH met DD#2 in Italy later February for very action packed 6 days. They stayed in Rome and went to Florence, Naples and the Almafi coast. A few ideas are candle sticks, challah cover, challah board. Is she into jewelry? I'm very partial to the hamsa so a necklace with a hamsa or start of david.

Uneventful getting the 2 shots. My CBC is good enough to get the treatment but my lymphocytes are low as is the MCH (anemia). WBC is dropping at the lower end of normal limits. I had to ask the phlebotomist if there were labs and when she checked she said she needing them all as the Hematologist likes the labs a week before the appointment and I see him for monthly visit next Friday. 4 vials - CBC, CMP, tumor marker for medical oncologist on Monday and not sure what other labs.

Good virtual visit with Nephrologist. We've know him for several years even before he as my doctor. He's a great person as well as doctor. A couple meds that I need to take (none of the chemo specific drugs) are hard on the kidneys, but he said the kidneys take a back seat to me. Acyclovir is one in particular that is hard on the kidneys but he said I must take it so we'll deal with kidneys. He also said he Hematologist will watch the kidneys "like a hawk". He said he doesn't want to overwhelm me with doctors so next appointment is in 4 months. He was seeing me annual before this and 1.5 years ago he said PCP could now follow. He agrees that it was smart to bring him back in to follow.

The two chemo injections make me tired, I feel like I'm moving in slow motion and stomach a little unsettled.

Saying bye to DD#2 will be harder than normal this trip. One her flight is at 5:45am Sunday morning so she will take an Uber at 3:15am to the airport so lots of hugs before we go to bed. She won't go to sleep as she will worry that she will oversleep. She hasn't lived by us since September 2016 when she left for her gap year. She hasn't spent any summers here as she worked at a camp in 2017 for the summer in upstate NY, but since she comes in the fall for the holidays and in the spring for Passover. We try to go in the summer and during my winter break. But who knows when our next visit will be. I'd love to go before the Stem Cell Transplant but who knows if they'll let me travel so far. Also, I wonder about travel insurance. She was such a blessing and help this trip, her presence will be missed even more. I have a card for he, that I think I'll put in mail today. It's a blank card do plenty of room to write her a letter.

Still waiting on results of nuclear medicineCT scan. Labs from this morning should be ready later today or over the week-end. Medical oncologist Monday morning and virtual visit with Endocrinologist Tuesday afternoon. Then no appointments for a few weeks.

As I've mentioned before, I've only been at this school since February 13th, but I feel like I've known the team forever - our fit is seamless. I got a sweet text from the principal. I don't see her every day as she is so busy and is also responsible for another school.

I put up the challah dough before I went for chemo and DD#2 shaped them into rolls and then took care to put egg wash and "seasoning" on them - zaatar or everything but the bagel. She will cook the sides - green beans and lukshin kugel (noodle kugel). We make it "salt/pepper" as we don't like sweet kugel. DH will grill turkey necks for DD and himself as well as 1/2 turkey breast for everyone. I asked DD if she wanted to bake and she said there was still enough in the freezer that I made. I was hoping she would bake but I guess, I can bake on a Friday morning before I leave for chemo.

I think that's all for now. Have a great day. I ate a small challah roll when they were still warm, so not hungry for lunch.

EDIT:

Went to hospital portal to get test results from Wednesday. There is an adenoma on my right inferior parathyroid. Two options are watch and see or remove 1 or more of the glands. Will see what the Endocrinologist says Tuesday. Of course I will run it by hematologist when I see him next Friday. I may also ask medical oncologist his opinion on Monday. We have a very good friend who is a retired endocrinologist who has seen my other labs and DH will share these results with him.

Have a great night and Saturday.

• wonderland
    edited April 2023
    Options

Karen: I think it's wonderful that you have friends who are physicians and you can share results, etc. with them. Enjoy your dd for the little bit left of her visit. I love that you will be writing her a letter.

Walked/ran this evening.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Karen, I imagine DD#2 is in the air by now. So glad she could come home & I am sure it was very hard to see her go again.I went to Yoga Strength yesterday morning & then on a field trip The mom of DS's fiance opens a greenhouse in the small town in which she lives in May/June. She buys her plants from a larger greenhouse but has been wanted to visit another greenhouse a couple hours away to get more ideas (and maybe a new supplier). She invited her daughter, one of her friends & me to come along and we had a wonderful afternoon of walking through their many buildings, admiring plants & smelling dirt! I will go to yoga again today.

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2023
    Options

Trying to do daily Yoga With Adrienne. Don’t always make it every day. Today I did a 45 minute session. Yesterday I walked five miles outside but it’s raining today. I might pit on rain gear and walk to the drugstore.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Welcome, akj!

• wonderland
    edited April 2023
    Options

Welcome akj!

Ruth: Beautiful picture!

Walked/ran this afternoon.

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

DD#2 made it home safely. The house is quiet. It was so wonderful to have her here and I miss her already. I guess, I never get used to being empty nest!! DS stopped over last night. He lives about 10 minutes away, but works 60-65 hours/week so we don't see him often so it is always a treat to see him.Gave him the latest updates as I hadn't talked to him since last Monday.

Been up since 4:00am and finally got out of bed at 4:30! When I slept it was good, but just not enough. Fell asleep reading on the sofa. I think it was 1:00am when I got into bed and woke up once to pee and then again at 400.

Feeling a little anxious about medical oncologist appointment this morning and I haven't been anxious about these appointments in years. I know everything will probably be okay, but I also thought appointment with hematologist would be routine and low and behold the shock of my life. One tumor marker is back and it is stable so hopefully no surprises. So many things going on and I don't like not being in control or plan. I think appointment tomorrow with endocrinologist tomorrow will hopefully have some answers. Watch and see or surgery and if surgery when? After chemo? Stop chemo for couple weeks? An of course the transplant doctor in just over 3 weeks.

Going to be in the 70s today and tomorrow then cooling off the rest of the week.

Have a great Monday.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

I think not being in control is particularly hard for those of us who very much like to be in charge of things!

I'm off to Zumba, taking a friend to lunch for her birthday & then will probably go to Pound tonight. It is in the 40s here & colder after that for the rest of the week. That is actually good because we need a SLOW melt. There are bulletins scrolling across the bottom of the TV of all the rivers cresting, ice jams, overland flooding, country road closed because of that overland flooding. Spring in North Dakota......

• wonderland
    edited April 2023
    Options

Karen: Hope your appointment this morning went well. I especially hope you sleep better tonight.

Ruth: You definitely need a slow melt!

Push mowed for 1 hour 40 minutes. Dh finished the rest of the yard. A nice cool day with a breeze was perfect for mowing. Trying not to think of summer mowing.

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks for the welcome! I did a hard yoga yesterday and walked four miles today

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Didn't get out of bed till 5am. Went to bed at 10:30 and woke up at 2 or 3 then at 4 - decided I wasn't going to get up at 4 and luckily was able to fall asleep and doze for a bit.

Good visit with medical oncologist. Spent a lot of the visit talking about the MM and side effects etc. He thought I looked good and said if he saw me outside he wouldn't think anything was wrong with me. Yup, the inside and the outside don't match!!! My weight is down more - same as during BC chemo, he suggested Boost or Ensure and I said not a chance - the thought of drinking the stuff gags me!!! I told him I bought protein powder, but if i drink it, I'm not hungry. He told me to eat first and then sip on it even if it took me two hours to drink one and to try to drink 2/day. I told him I was only walking once/day many days and he said try for 2 walks/day. Keeping me on a 6 month schedule. When I was diagnosed 17 years ago, I did the BRCA 1 and 2 testing - thankfully negative. About 7 years ago, a 29 panel came out and he had me do that - a couple things showed up. Now there is a 84 gene panel and he wants me to do it as it will tell them if they need to watch me closer for other cancers! Plus it would be more information for my kids. So when I go for labs and treatment Friday, I will have the blood drawn. The company will push/fight for insurance to cover it an if insurance doesn't, he says cost is only $100 or $200 so we will pay out of pocket if need be.

DH spoke with our friend who is a retired endocrinologist yesterday and he said yes the surgery is important and needs to be done, but can wait till done with chemo. Weill see what my endocrinologist says this afternoon. He told DH to tell my endocrinologist HI!!

Another gorgeous sunny, warm day predicted for today, then turning colder, rain and even maybe snow.

DD#2 ordered me a great t-shirt before she left. It was supposed to come yesterday day but now won't come till W, TH or F says Amazon. It is kind of retro with flowers and peace symbols and says F Cancer!!! I have a photo on my phone. If no one is offended, I will post a photo.

We are going to be grandparents the end of May. We are all thrilled. It's been a long, hard road to parenthood for them! I've known since Thanksgiving because DD was giving off hints (not sure if purposeful or not) but she wasn't planning on telling us till 20 weeks. She told work after 20 weeks and as well as siblings. She didn't really make it public till she started wearing maternity clothes and people commented. I finally asked her one day how many weeks was she. They know what they are having and aren't telling - which is fine by me as I did the same with my youngest. My late mother was so annoyed. I kind of like not knowing. Hematologist says I can travel to see the baby when she/he s born if I'm feeling good. No matter how I feel, I will be on a plane to Toronto to meet my new grand baby. It will be a short visit as I have to do it between treatments. The one piece of wonderful news amongst all the crazy, lousy medical stuff with me. This is why DD#1 and SIL didn't come for Passover. She is going to get the baby a passport as soon as possible so when she feels its safe to travel with a new baby, she will come to Denver.

Have a great Tuesday.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2023
    Options

A grand-baby, Karen, that is WONDERFUL news! Congratulations! I am so excited for you all!

That advice about eating first & then sipping on the supplement is very smart. Sounds like you have a very good oncologist. Yes, post the picture of the shirt....I think we all share the sentiment!

I went to Pound this morning, will go to Zumba at 5:30 and my Book Club meets tonight. The 'snow' word is in out forecast too. Blah!

• trmtab
    edited April 2023
    Options

Oh what wonderful news Karen, a welcome shining light amidst all the other issues right now. Blessings! TT

(oh and share the picture of the shirt)

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

Regarding my Mo's comment on how i look, I've been seeing him for 17 years and I love him. He knows me well and he hears me when I talk. I think it was in reference to how many things are going on with me - he knows that I'm sick - I take no offense from home him - strangers or others, yes, I would not like it. Regarding walking, my MO knows that I had been walking 3 times/day so once/day is a big decrease. My 25 minute walk now takes over 30 minutes, I can't walk the pace I used to walk. On week-ends, I walk more but on days I work not as much. I'm not getting out and walking at work. Last night after dinner I walked for 15 minutes. MO was impressed that I do my under the desk elliptical (Cubii) for an hour every morning. I think he wants me to stay as strong as I can for the next phase of treatment after Induction chemo.

I think I told you a while back that one of my co-workers was talking about how old she was (always comments about being old) so I finally asked her how old she was and she said she was turning 55 on Friday. I said, I'm way older than you and she said but you're so healthy. I said, not really (this was just before this whole MM started to rear its ugly head in testing). Then she said but you walk all the time!!! Ya, I look good. I don't look my age and I don't act my age Loopy

We were disappointed with endocrinologist appointment today. We like her so it's just the expectations we went in with and she and Hematologist have different opinions why my Calcium is high. She is saying primary hyperparathyroidism and hematologist says it's the MM. But anyways at this point it's wait and see - she doesn't want to rush into surgery - so that's what we will do. She also says it's hard to separate out what is what - what is causing what. My DH's former pcp who retired and is a good friend and neighbor has been looking at my labs and test results. He is an endocrinologist by specialty. He told us to tell her hello so DH did. She said, I'm sure you are getting side consults from him and I said yup on everything!!! I didn't tell her that he recommended surgery when i finished chemo. She will do surgery if calcium rises but if it stays below 11, then just monitor. I will talk to Hematologist at monthly appointment on Friday.

I finished 21 days of the Revlimid on Sunday night and the past two days i've been feeling better. So DH looks up the side effects and yup, the one that are gone - sluggish, fatigue etc are not as bad the past couple days. I start it again for the next 21 days on Monday the 24th.

I drank the protein powder in the morning and i was so fully. Instead of yogurt for lunch I took a turkey wrap - that and half an apple had me full. Dinner was a salad and 3 small pieces of home made pizza - probably the size of a regular slice of pizza and I was so full. I will do my best with the protein powder, but if i can't stop the loosing and stay stable, even though the weight is lower I'll be happy.

I need to leave about 15 minutes early or work this morning to fill up my car as I'm on fumes!!!

Didn't sleep well las night.

Cooler weather today - windy and rain maybe turning to snow tonight, but no accumulation in the city as it's been so warm.

Have a great Wednesday.

• karen1956
    edited April 2023
    Options

• trmtab
    edited April 2023
    Options

Great picture Karen! Agree with your MO, if you didn't know, you wouldn't know...great look, great smile! TT