Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited February 2011
    Well this week I managed to get some workouts in at the gym.Now if I need to oil my joints for next week.Laughing
  • fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2011

Welcome back Mum!

Patoo - loved the quote!  You know as long as you keep marching, you are at least moving!!  You can add slowly along the way and remember - Spring is just around the corner!!  Hows that for some motivation!  Can't wait to get outside every day!! Right now, we are expecting another heavy snow fall tonight and tomorrow!!

You know, NOW  I have to go out and get some bridge mix for my DH's Daytona 500 party tomorrow.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I will be at my niece's 19th B-day party.  Either way, there WILL be tempting food tomorrow!  All I know is I hope I NEVER come across the Cherry Mash, as I would NEVER be able to stay on my diet with that around!  Love Chocolate and Cherries - but the combo together is totally irresistable!!

Hope everyone is doing great!!  I have to do a little retail toning today to get ready for the Party that I may not really get to enjoy tomorrow Undecided

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2011

Thanks all.  I am so ready for warmer weather to get outside for long walks.  I miss them.  Today it's not too, too cold but the wind is crazy so just walked for an hour inside this morning.  Going for chinese with friends in a few minutes and have plans to do some shop and sculpt afterwards.

Everyone, enjoy your Saturday.  Later.

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited February 2011
    Oh... sorry, bridge mix lovers... I forgot it was full of milk chocolate (which I don't like) and even the dark chocolate pieces in it that I tasted didn't measure up to what I normally eat (you know, the 70+% stuff with low sugar), but I'm sure my company will enjoy it next week.  Ever since chemo ended I just don't like sweets the same, which is fine, but you'd think I'd learn and stop buying them Undecided
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited February 2011

I did the FIRM 500 Calorie Workout; then blew it by going out for pizza and eating a WHOLE BAG of bridge mix!!!!! I need an icon with DEVIL HORNS!

• NatureGrrl
    edited February 2011

Ruth, I could use that one, too, if for different (food) reasons!  :)

• ruthbru
    edited February 2011
    It didn't even taste that good but I still ate it all!!! Cry Cry
  • julie75
    julie75 Member Posts: 295
    edited February 2011

Hello, Everyone:

Wow, I've got everyone talking about Bridge Mix and Cherry Mash! My apologies for tempting people with my junk food eating habits. Oh, dear, I hope I haven't caused everyone to gain a pound with this stuff. Yikes! Sorry about that, Ladies!  Maybe I should start talking about eating celery, carrots, etc.

Mary Louise: Hope you enjoyed the birthday party, and weren't too tempted by the food there. Stay warm and safe.

Sandee: Glad ice and chiropractor is helping you out; enjoy your campout.

Mum: Glad you got to the gym, hope your joints are okay.

Kim: Sending thoughts of strength your way. We don't have kids, but I see the issues people have with them; I hope things get better for your son soon.

Cheryl: Yes, I don't think Friday would have been a good night for a rooftop party here! The power went on and off all last night. Today, things have settled down a bit.

Patoo and Carol: I think we all struggle with wanting to do more exercise. I'll be going back to work on 02/28 and am still hoping to get 2 hours of exercise in every day. Hubby and I looked at weight-training gyms; most of them are too big to fit into our tiny condo! Oh, well - we'll think of something.

Badger: Got your PM, am still following the political situation with interest.

Mumayan: Good for you; too bad we all can't oil our joints!

Ruth: Blew my diet today, too. I'll pass on telling all of you what I ate . . .

WIll be eating celery, carrots, raw broccoli . . . by themselves, eating them with dip doesn't count Wink

I didn't work out today. Am feeling just a bit under the weather and am hoping I don't catch a cold or get the flu.

Good night, All.

Julie

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2011

Well, today is the double party day!  I have decided to enjoy both (hopefully in moderation!)!  Got up this morning by 7 to fire up the crock pot and start the pulled pork I am making for the Daytona 500 Party we are having.  Must now finish laundry and a little housework - maybe Ruth can come up with a name for folding laundry cause I seem to do it alot!!  We are a family of 5.  That will probably be the ONLY excercise I will get in today!  We are under a Storm Watch right now, so I know that shovel and sculpt will be in my very near future!  I will probably need to work off everything that I sampled anyways!

Must get going - the laundry does not fold itself and the kids only help when I keep at them!!

Have a great day everyone!

Edited for typo

• NatureGrrl
    edited February 2011

Mary Louise, enjoy your parties!  I try my best to be healthy but I also believe I got through the blasted cancer so I can continue to enjoy my life, and part of that is indulging a little on occasion.   There are a few chores that I really dislike -- folding laundry is one of them -- you have my sympathies!  Fold and Mold? No, that sounds like something you scrape off bread :)  I'm no good at those names and will leave it to the experts :)

I woke up early to the sounds of rain, very peaceful, and snoozed off and on for a few hours... by the time it was light out, it was quiet... and when I got to the kitchen, I realized we had a light dusting of snow!  It won't last but it made me laugh.  Mother Nature loves to yank that hint-of-early-spring chain!

Julie, don't worry, you didn't start anything... if it weren't bridge mix it would be something else to tempt us!   Besides, I only tried a few pieces before I set it aside for company next weekend... and my behavior is my choice, so I can hardly blame you! :)

If I can dodge snow/rain, (well, rain more than snow, I love walking when it's snowing), I'm going to one of the parks to walk today.  If not, Leslie and I will join up.

Keep on keepin' on, Tarts!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2011

I also woke up to the sound of rain - freezing rain - laying down a dangerous coating of ice everywhere.  Needless to say, no one is going anywhere for a while.  Glad I got in a nice walk yesterday and stocked up on groceries.  Was tempted but did not go to Madison yesterday.  They are saying 60,000 people - wowsers!  Have a good rest of your weekend.  {{hugs}} to all

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited February 2011

Went for a lovely walk today....left the students playing soccer and i marched along a snow covered path by the river and then up the road again because the river was too close to really count as exercise!....no idea how many steps I took but it felt great!

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited February 2011

Just home from a quick overnight to the shore with grandaughter.  She is such a DELIGHT!!  Plays well on her own, not demanding or whiny, good in church, affectionate - she spends a lot of time with adults as well as in pre-school so she puts her toys away when finished....on and on.  SO and I agreed this was one of the most delightful overnights we've had with her.

Carol - since chemo, I also don't crave or enjoy sweets.  But if it's salty and spicy hot - bring it on! 

Patoo - the wind was incredible, wasn't it?? My mom said she had to have a friend hold her up while walking on the beach for 2 blocks! 

Wondering about Jen and the twins at Disney - what fun!!

Badger - read all about the demonstrations in the New York Times today.  Interesting about the 2 leaders of the assembly/house and their father who leads the Troopers going after the Dems for 100K+!!  Doesn't matter anyone's politics, there is "funny" stuff in all the parties.

Sandee - camping??  I'm too old, I think :)

Mary Louise - Fold and Tone??

Went to spin yesterday because SO begged.  We had fun.  Nothing today - just playing with GD and trying not to get blown down the street in the wind.  Tomorrow is day off of work - yipee!!   Will take my ride and add a few miles.  SO gave me a great compliment today about the weight loss - just love that man.  Love to you all - have a great eveningKiss

• Sandeeonherown
    edited February 2011
    Bobcat...never too old for camping if you bring what you need (read..bed...air mattress etc).well, we were in a cabin so no camping in tents...we save that for the summer events...seriously...in teepees by the lake...and surrounded by a river. Gorgeous spot!!!!
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited February 2011

Did my three mile walk today and was not stiff however I have not been on tamox for three days. Will start back tonight per dr's order so I'll see how I do at yoga this week

• ruthbru
    edited February 2011

Power Folding???

Only did some lower body sculpting & 15 minutes on the treadmill. If I eat one orange for the rest of the night, and nothing else, I will be in the OK calorie range.

Here is something cool from the Time Magazine about why dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa) improves your overall cholesterol levels; Japanese investigators have found that polyphenols in the cocoa attach to the genes in the liver and intestines, activating the ones that produce HDL, the good cholesterol, as well those that help suppress the LDL, the bad cholesterol.

• Sandeeonherown
    edited February 2011

Folding definitely counts!

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Did 30 mins/5 miles on the stationary bike, then went dog training.  When I got home, I shoveled walks.  So I figure I got some good exercise in.

The photos on news sites re WI are amazing.

I don't have grandkids yet, but got to sit twin 7 year old sons of a friend yesterday; they are lots of fun.

• julie75
    edited February 2011

Hello, Everyone:

Mary Louise: Hope you enjoyed your parties! As Carol says, we do need to induldge at times - am engaging in some M&M therapy as I type this. Folding clothes - ugh. I think folding fitted bed sheets is the worst - I just kind of roll them up and stuff them into the linen cabinet.

Carol: Thanks. Yes, eating non-healthy stuff is everyone's choice, everything in moderation, as our neighbor used to say. Hope you got to the park and walked.

Sandee and Badger and Sherryc: Glad you enjoyed your walks. Sandee and Sherry, I'm glad you are able to walk! It's interesting what is said about walking and exercise being beneficial - I feel any walk is good, regardless of how many steps, etc.

Bobcat: Glad you enjoyed your time with your granddaughter!  Putting away toys is impressive, as is behaving in church. Sounds like a nice time; enjoy your day off tomorrow.

Ruth: I'd heard that about dark chocolate. Also, a friend knew someone who went on a dark chocolate diet and literally lost weight. Sounds interesting; I don't think I'll try it, though.

Am thinking of Jen and the twins as well, hope they are having fun.

Was lazy today. Tomorrow, I'll get out and do my 5 miles, then resistance training.

Have a good evening, everyone!

Julie

• Sandeeonherown
    edited February 2011

Julie - true enough....and walking outside in the fresh air....exactly right....10, 000 teps per day for heart health but I wonder what the number if for BC health? hmm...something could be written about that.....as for having a lazy day...good for you!!! We all have to have them some days....makes the other days feel so much mor eproductive too:)

• julie75
    edited February 2011

Sandee:  Thanks.  Yes, it would be interesting to see what exercise does for BC health . . . gets those endorphins going,  and that's not a bad thing! 

So many of you exercise weekends as well; I am trying to get into that mode.  But, it's not the end of the world if I don't.

Catch all of you later.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2011

Well it's confession time even though I did Body Combat yesterday and Body Step today I have had a horrible eating weekend. Yesterday we went to lunch at a local eatery that was on Diners Drive Ins and Dives great food but wayyyy too much and I ate so much lunch I couldn't eat dinner and then met friends for lunch today not to bad but then had custard pie with whipped cream - I am such a bad girl and I feel like I'm going to explode. As Scarlett said "tomorrow is another day" I have derailed this weekend but back on track I will try to getEmbarassed.

• julie75
    edited February 2011

Yep, we all have our binge weekends and weekdays! 

Remember, Scarlett said Ashley "liked to see a girl with a healthy appetite!"  Of course, then Mammy had to chime in with "I don't see Mr. Ashley askin' to marry you!".   Oh, well.  Rhett Butler didn't seem to mind too much . . .

• Sherryc
    edited February 2011

Folding def counts!!!

Julie I do enjoy my walks and would be intersting to read an article about walking and bc.  All the docs say exercise is our best defence.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited February 2011

Hi everyone from a NY/NJ party girl. In the 70's during disco time, I lived in Edgewater, NJ (having come from a divorce and lived in Queens, NY) Hung out in clubs along the Hudson River till 3 and then partied in NY and went to work at 9:00 a.m. I too did not leave the house until after Dallas on Fridays, anyone remember Dallas??? and then SNL on Saturdays. There was nothing to do in the clubs before 11:00 so that was the time you went out.

Carol, thank you for the birthday wishes, turn the big 62 on the 27th. I think we are going to the Highlawn Pavillion in West Orange on Sat. I applied for early SS and can't wait for my first check in April. The only thing I miss about not working anymore is my paycheck.

The cortisone seemed to kick in and the flector patch has helped so I will go back to my volunteering on Wed.

I love all mixes, so I cannot keep that stuff in the house, I have to hide it from dh, but it is really me who eats it. Cheryl and Julie, love your quotes from Gone With the Wind. With me, I have tons of excuses, and usually when I am in Bed Bath and Beyond my eyes goes towards the dark chocolate. I call it comfort food.

So another round of snow. Just cleaned off car so that my morning exercise. Zumbaed on Sat, and will go tonight. It will be a fill in instructor so I feel bad and promised I would be there. Hope it stops snowing.

RetriverMom, I am staring at my stationery bike, now if I could only get on it.Oh year, I don't want to upset my clothes handing from it.

Love to all,

Hugs,

• NatureGrrl
    edited February 2011

Ronna, LOL about disturbing your clothes, glad your wrist is better, and yeah!! I remember Dallas!  I used to laugh and laugh at it, I loved it when the show poked fun at itself :)  And SNL when Gilda was on it... I still laugh thinking of some of her routines.  One of them made me laugh so hard I cried Laughing

I see my radiation oncologist this week, although it's not quite in her area I'm going to mention my wrist to her and see what she things about possible solutions; she's usually good about listening and very knowledgeable.  But if she wants to defer me to my oncologist I'm going to call him and try to get something resolved.  It doesn't hurt all the time, just when I make certain movements, but even with a brace or wrapped it's impossible to not have that happen and when it hurts it hurts like heck. Still not sure if it's from my fall, the A, or what.  Hadn't heard of Flector patches, thanks for mentioning.

I'd take Rhett over Ashley any time Wink

Julie, I aim for 5-6 days a week... and sometimes it's easier for me to carve out time on weekends than weekdays because of work, so that's why I try to get out there on Sat. and Sun.  Cheryl, you're such a workout warrior, I have a hard time believing your weekend binge will have a noticeable effect, but I know what you mean about eating so much you don't want the next meal.  Not a good feeling after Undecided  Anyway, part of the reason I exercise is so I can indulge at times and not feel bad about it!  Bobbi, your GD sounds like such a sweetie!

I don't know what I'm going to do today but I'm going to do something... walking  outside seems to be my favorite thing so I'll do that if I can.  Putting on my "rocker" sneakers is definitely making me feel it more, and as long as I walk on something paved I wear them.

Stay warm and safe, everyone!

• Sherryc
    edited February 2011

Ronqt1 and naturegirl-yes, yes I remember Dallas. I was in college in the early 80's and we did the same.  Watched Dallas on Friday night and then went out to the clubs. LOL and loved Gilda on SNL.  have Yoga tonight hope I am not too stiff from my tamox.  Will know when I get there.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2011

I remember Dallas as well.  Loved that show.  Today's exercise was Wash, Vac and Sculpt as I steam cleaned kitchen, dining room and living room and vacuumed two levels of stairs and 2 bedrooms.  One of the BR is DS so that's double duty!  Eating has not been too bed as I'm staying below my loseit calorie allotment but my food choices are still not the best.

Still marching before bed each night.  Works well, especially to try and beat down those late calories.

edited for typos

• Sherryc
    edited February 2011

Heading to Yoga!!!

• ruthbru
    edited February 2011

one hour of 'brisk walking' on the treadmill, 30 minutes of toning; spent the rest of the day taking care financial things for my dad, & now am getting e-mails several pages long questioning my decisions GRRRR...there would be advantages to being an only child!!!