Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited March 2011

Ah Kim.....think I understand...spoke to a student of mine today..his grandparents live near the nuclear site and have been evacuated...he is worried that they are not far enough away so he is now worried about them...doesnot want his friends at school to worry about him so he puts on a smiley face....but he is scared and sad and not sure what to do. ...then found out 10 minutes later that a teacher I work with's father just died....was diagnosed at Christmas with lung cancer so she left our province and moved o Toronto to be with him through radiation and checmo...he stopped two weeks ago and had 6 hours of surgery on Monday....only to have two heart attacks in a row last night.....I went to the gym to work with my PT  I felt physically exhausted from yesterday's work out and walk....exhausted emotionally because of my sudent and colleague's info....tired because I barely slept last night....but I also felt confident and felt good and asked her to measure me....I have only lost 2.5 pounds in 3.5 months but have improved my body mass by -2.5.....I said I was ok with that....and ended up crying half way through my workout (Guess I wasn't ok with that???)....I am soooooo disappointed and ANGRY and sad right now!. Does that seem crazy? ....just sad....think I need to make supper soon, put on my pjs and do NOTHING tonight...

Natsfan - yah..muds is my 18.5 year old kitty...old and not 100% healthy this week but she seems on the mend now and a night home with her is exactly what she needs I suspect so that is what I shall do

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited March 2011

Kim, good to see you, and rant away, that's what we're here for, you've been through a lot and it's good to have a place to let it out! Besides, how many times have I ranted away and everyone here has always been wonderful. You've had a lot going on, glad you got some counseling and really glad you're at Tahoe -- the mountains bring me so much peace -- I hope they do for you, too.  Anyway, lots and lots of big warm hugs, we're here for you for whatever you need!

Sandee, big warm hugs for you as well.  I think for me my crying isn't always about exactly what I think it's about -- it's kind of like the straw that breaks the camel's back -- stuff builds up and then there's the one last thing that just pushes me into tears, and I just need to be alone and in my pj's and restore! You are doing so much good work, hang in there, get through this, and feel better.  (Sassy has told me I shouldn't tell you to have a Hug Your Kitty moment with Mudpie but I still think it's a good idea) (Sassy doesn't care much for HYK) :)

I think we all need a dose of spring.  Either that, or a very large glass of wine :)

• Sandeeonherown
    edited March 2011

Thanks Natureguurl...exactly the advice I needed....You are absolutely right...what I am crying about is a lot of other people's sorrows...there is a lot of sorrow to go around right now ....and I can't do a damn thing about any of them except get strong myself ...I was just so frustrated with myself...or my body I guess after being weighed in...feeling weak with the ankles, sore afer one day a week of wearing a wired bra...even went looking for a non-wire bra last night...no luck...so...goign to the valley tomorrow and will stop at the swim hut and find something that does not hurt...

Tell Sassy that Muds even allowed me to clean her ears wih a qtip tonight (yowers!!)...we are going to have a make the kitty feel good night complete with new litter, her hating pad on and a good old brushing! I am cooking a steak and a ton of veggies (that should giv eme energy or knock me out) and plan on having a glass of wine with it and putting myself into a bathtub with bubbles then jammies...and greay's anatomy on video....early bed tonight I think....I keep waking up so feel drained.....

• NatureGrrl
    edited March 2011

Sandee, I'm always happy when my words help, because it's not alway easy to know exactly how someone else is feeling... I see you were dx less than a year ago, and I'm not sure what treatment you had, but regardless, less than a year out from dx and I know in some ways that's probably just really sinking in. At least for me, I was in so much shock and went into treatment so fast, and was taking care of my mom, and yada yada, but I was done with treatment and a year out from dx before it hit me just all I'd been through.  I think sometimes the aftermath and your body/mind/soul healing and recovering are harder than the treatments. The not-sleeping-well/not feeling rested is a good sign that you're going throug a rough spell.  So, do pamper yourself, and I'm so glad you're going to Nepal. 

I think I need to get a heating pad for Sassy.  She wants to lay on me all the time and I'm sure it's for the warmth. This house doesn't have good heating vents for her to sleep on but she used to completely block a vent by laying on it -- I would pick her up and she would be so hot it seemed like she should be burned.  Silly cats!

Everyone, have a good weekend!

• Sandeeonherown
    edited March 2011

Thanks Natureguurl...you are right..diagnosed in July..finished rads December 15th...first post rads appointment Monday at 2pm....likely a connection, hmm? Already have 8 questions for him...how fast can I talk...just feeling breathless this week...like my lungs hurt....maybe worrying I will not be able to keep up with my pal on our mini-treks...or that I will bring her 'down'....determined to just let it all go when I get on the plane....but yeah....a hard week I think...Thanks...Greatly appreciate having a place I can let this stuff out.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2011

Kim & Sandee, big hugs to you both.  Sometimes you just need to veg out for a while.  Friendship, exercise, and a nice glass of wine will all help (not necessarily in that order).

Walked at noon then again after work.  Did 6.7 miles (11,500 steps).  {{hugs}} to all

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2011

Watched one of DVR shows with Dr Oz and marched/jogged (a little) for 45 mins.  Watching Dr Oz is a great motivator to walk in place because he's always about health.  So 7000 steps today; may do more watching the news before bed.  Weekend is here and it seems that is when I'm able to get the most exercise in so looking forward to that.

HUGS to all of you, especially those who are going through rough periods.  Remember, tomorrow's worries will take care of themselves so don't look forward to it.  Make it come to you, don't jump ahead and try and work out tomorrow's problems today.  Kim, met up with my son (23yo) last weekend who I had not seen or talked to in over a year.  He was released after 8 months, from a felony conviction, 2 weeks ago.  Needed some money (I gave him some) and I haven't heard from him since.  I did my best and leave the rest up to God; can't do any more and I'm at peace.  Take care of yourself, first.

• Sandeeonherown
    edited March 2011

PAtoo- All you can do is your best my dear...and then it is up to him....

Thanks for the support and here is some back from you!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,536
    edited March 2011

I have tears in my eyes reading all the posts. What a really lovely, tough and TARTLY bunch of ladies we are. The friendships, understanding, and support of  is, indeed, THE silver lining......

• ruthbru
    edited March 2011

Sherry, check out this website for stretching exercises:

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/MoreInformation/exercises-after-breast-surgery

Packjen, 16 pounds in 8 weeks is excellant; especially when you were dealing with surgery at the same time!

Mary, pirates and bootlegger grammas sounds like a pretty cool family tree to me Cool!

Kim, I am so glad you are back. I always get creeped out and mad and sad and down when it is the 'cancerversary' time (a term I also hate!). The only thing about it that gets better with time is that you know you will feel that way, so it can't sneak up on you. For me, I couldn't even let myself think deeply about what was happening during treatment, I was in the 'just get through it mode' and then I started school again in the fall four days after I was done with rads; so I didn't even begin to let myself process the whole experience until the NEXT summer; when I did a lot of walking, walking, walking, thinking, thinking, thinking, reliving, crying, swearing, praying. It is very normal to have it hit you as a delayed reaction...especially when you have other difficult things going on. And I think we are even more empathic to pain in the world; having had a certain amount of experience in that area.

Very big hugs and a vitual toast to you all! Ruth

• ruthbru
    edited March 2011

On a much lighter note (and then I'll quit for the night):

WHY ATHLETES CAN'T HAVE REGULAR JOBS......................
    1. Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model: 
    "I wan' all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan' all the kids to copulate me." 

2. New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: 
    "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first." 

3. And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skin's say: 
    "I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl," 
    Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too."

4. Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins: 
    "He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings.." 

5. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann: 
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." 

6. Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh : 
    "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." 
    (Now that is beautiful) 

7. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach: 
    "You guys line up alphabetically by height.." 
    And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle." 

8. Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson going to prison: 
    "Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton ." 

9. Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker: 
    "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes." 

10. Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regimen of heavyweight Andrew Golota: 
    "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning, regardless of what time it is." 

11. Chuck Nevitt , North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: 
    "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt." (I wonder if his IQ ever hit room temperature in January) 

12. Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player: 
    "I asked him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' 
    He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'" 

13. Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D: 
    "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject." 

14. In the words of NC State great Charles Shackelford: 
    I can go to my left or right, I am amphibious. 

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2011

Hi - I would like to join this thread. Such nice reassuring words are being written today. So much support.

Sandee - good luck finding a bra that is comfortable to you. I wear bras by Warner. They aren't underwire and very comfortable.

I walked/ran 2 miles this evening. The temperature was 80 degrees. Nice!

Wonderland

• wonderland
    edited March 2011
    Ruth - Too funny!
  • ruthbru
    edited March 2011

Welcome Wonderland, this is a great group of ladies to hang out with!

edited to say, "O.K. now I really will quit." Wink

• badger
    edited March 2011

Hi Wonderland - welcome!

Gorgeous spring day, walked 4.5 miles (7,756 steps) then back in for lunch & a nap.

Will head out again this evening to get 10,000 steps while I have the time on the weekend.

Hope everyone is having a fab Saturday!  {{hugs}}

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2011

Boy asleep on one couch, girl asleep on another couch, bags everywhere, x-box set up for "Dance Party" whohoooo my girl is home for spring break.

Last night I did Body Pump class and this morning I did Body Combat and I sure felt my muscles this morning, they were crying out, ouch, ouch, ouch - I really have to try and do more than one weightlifting class a week!

Ruth loved all those quotes, too funny. Sandee big (((HUG))) you've been on auto pilot just getting through everything and now you're letting your feelings come to the surface, and honey they are "your" feelings you don't have to justify them to anyone and don't be concerned about letting your friend down, explain to her that sometimes you may not be able to keep up and you understand if she needs to forge ahead, you can just sit and take in all of the wonders around you, heck you're going to be in Nepal, it's going to be amazing, and you won't be alone as we're all going to be sitting with you. Welcome Wonderland nice to have you hang with us. Badger it's overcast here getting ready to rain but this morning I noticed all of my rose bushes have buds on them and there are 3 that are actually blooming.  I'm of to Target and then I'm going to see The Lincoln Lawyer and look at some nice eye candy on the big screenTongue out  Hope everyone is enjoying their saturday.

• Renrel
    Renrel Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2011

I found out my boss's boss is "concerned" about my tardiness, 3-10 minutes a day (even though I skip lunch and leave late most days) which got me all upset so I could not focus and got no writing done, which sucks since she was watching me closely due to a serious backlog issue I had which I have almost but not quite got rid up. It is upsetting because I agree where I was was way bad but I feel that where I am now is about normal.  I have a few really old cases but they are a bit more complex and I need time to work on them.  But once you are on the radar you can't afford any issues I guess. 

I was trying really hard to stay focused on work, practice loving kindness towards her and the world, to find the lesson in the current struggle, and to not allow my mind to go on a negative spiral of worst case senerios.  The good new was that the mood killed my appetite which allowed me to drop 2-3 pounds in a day and meet my Wii goal early.  Probably not real weight loss but it still felt nice.  And I got a silver trainer to day for hitting 20 hours since we to the wii fit.  I did about 40 minutes today.  Skate board (my new favorite for aerobic/balance), juggling, biking, a few yoga moves (weird thing was my virtual trainer apparently needed a break and the othe virtual trainer stepped in for one of the exercises.)

Hormones may also have been messing me up.  I am in perimenapause.  I have not had my period since December and thought I was done for good, but now I am spotting so maybe not.  

I experimented to day making Kale chips.  I poured some maple syrup in bowl (maybe a quarter cup?) a hand full of sweetened coconut and a few cups Kale from a bag (prewashed stuff) and mixed it all up. then I put in in the toaster oven for 1.5-2 hours on  the dehydrate setting, which I think is like 100 or 150 degrees. Not all of it crisped, I might but a grate of some sort under it next time to lift it off the pan, but it is still a pretty tasty snack and alot less expensive than the $7 bags at Whole Foods that inspired the experiment.  I also tried thowing the Kale in a smoothy today and it worked pretty well.   I will see if DS will drink some when he gets home if so I will have one more way to sneak greens into his diet.  I already sneak them into hamburgers and meatloaf.  

• wonderland
    edited March 2011

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Renrel: sorry about your work problems. It's difficult to have someone looking over your shoulder. Late only 3 to 10 minutes and you make it up at lunch or stay late? Really now , your boss's boss needs to get a life and be thankful for your commitment. The Kale chips sound delicious.

My dh and I power walked 1.1 miles this morning. Later we cleaned out part of the garage and minimal yard work. My main form of exercise is power walking/running and yard work. And how can I forget housework! Tongue out

• ruthbru
    edited March 2011

Yesterday I did 50 minutes on the treadmill & 10 minutes of thighs with Denise Austin. Today I did the dreaded FIRM 500 Calorie Workout.

Cheryl, enjoy all the kids!

Go out and look at the moon tonight. It is suppose to be fabulous!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited March 2011

Did not exercise today but put a dent in some much needed sewing projects. Don't think I burned many calories. My garden is growing really well. Love watching my plants get bigger and seeds sprout through the ground.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2011

12,000 steps yesterday and I got the Wii set up (big step for me)

Still dealing with a lot of upper body weakness and pain around scar.  So, probably walking and the Yoga, and Balance on Wii ?   What do ya think ?

THANKS LADIES !!

I need a diet - I have been on South Beach and lost weight, but I thought it was a lot of work making the recipes. I didn't keep it off.   I have been on Weight Watchers since college including 10 years as a leader.  So I need something new, easy and vegetarian friendly.  Anyone try "Nutri system"?   I am thinking of just for a month or so for some motivation with a little quick weigh loss.

• badger
    edited March 2011

Went out for an evening walk under the special full moon, it is really something!

Did another 2.3 miles so my total for today is 6.8 miles (11,670 steps).

Renrel, I need peace & quiet for writing projects.  Sometimes that means working from home, or working in a private office, or having 'protected time' where you don't have to take phone calls or schedule appts, or wearing headphones and listening to music.*  Maybe your boss would be willing to make a reasonable accommodation so you can get your work done.

* Has to be instrumental music for me, I pay too much attention to the words if someone is singing, but there's a Spanish music channel I like because IDK what they're saying so it isn't distracting.  In the late afternoon when I'm lagging, I like something called Trance which is what people at raves dance to all night after dropping Ecstasy.  LOL if they only knew, the kids would be shocked at my use of bass & drums as a mood-altering substance... or maybe not, isn't that how music moves your butt during Zumba etc?

Hello & welcome Rubyeye, I don't have a Wii but I do walk a lot and recommend it. 

• ruthbru
    edited March 2011

Ruby, check out www.loseit.com It tracks calories & also you can 'get back' calories through exercise. Also some of us go to a forum called "Wednesday Weigh In' and report our progress (or lack thereof) with weight loss.

I have been doing paperwork all night, and will be doing the same tomorrow.....I need space and time to get projects done. So that means weekends and working for free. Boo Hoo, poor me!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited March 2011

Sheery C, I am still having stretching problems, Feels like my arm is stuck to my arm pit.

Welcome Renral. Do what you can. It will take awhile. Right after mast. I took a civil service test and I thought I could nto focus but to my surprise I was first one finished and passed. Do What you can.

Ladies, I am always talkinga bout zumba, so one of the gals found some footage of me on stage last week at the Paws Benefit. Please don't laugh. I am in second row. You willl see me go on stage practically hobbling.

http://www.facebook.com/n/?video%2Fvideo.php&v=10150175803195953&mid=3ef77a9G5af32fdd1336Gad6026G1d&bcode=h5LlKSbI&n_m=r227nj2%40aol.com. i hope this works.

I am on way to a granddaughter's piano recital, back to zumba tomorrow night.

Hugs,m (PS I don't have my glasses on now so iif here are any typos please forgive me.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited March 2011

Sheeryc. Understand about stretching. Even about 1 1/2 years later after Mast. It hurst when I stretch.Feeling pulls.  Dr. says I am doing a good job, but I don't like the movement. Yes, there is a site, and I have books from he hospital after mast. So between my keloid and stretching, I have my days.

Lenlar, welcome.. Do what you can on your job. No one knows what we have had to go through.

Took granddaghters out for dinner last night, ate their desserts so there went any weight loss and on way now to a piano recital for one of them. Will watch what I eat today.

Just a fast check in. I am not wearing my glasses so please excuse any typos.

Hugs,

• NatureGrrl
    edited March 2011

Anyone else having trouble with their links not bumping them down to the last-read post since they did the upgrades?  I hope they fix that soon, I got spoiled not having to scroll down to find where I left off.

Wonderland, welcome!  

Cheryl, I could hear the smile in your post at having your girl back!

Renral, sorry about the work problems... puts such a negative cast over everything when you get treated that way, I know what you mean about trying to live in loving kindness but I also know how hard it can be.  At least you're exercising, that should be helping!  Love the kale chip experiment!!  I've made them as a savory treat  (first heard of this from Diana Dyer, who has a ton of kale recipes on her website) with a bit of red vinegar and olive oil but I like the sweet option.

Ruby, I don't follow diets, I just eat healthy and many of my meals are vegan, and that automatically takes out a lot of the high-cal and unhealthy stuff (although vegan  can still be unhealthy with the wrong choices! but at least it's harder), but if you like to track what you're doing check out Ruth's link.

I got out for a good power-walk yesterday and am about to head out for my weekly meditation walk, hopefully I won't get caught in the rain.

My wrist is still improving so I'm happy about that but am very cautious about what I do and am still wearing the brace.  Can't wait to be able to pick up knitting needles again!

Happy Sunday, everyone -- do something fun!

• wonderland
    edited March 2011

NatureGrrl: what's wrong with your wrist?

I just completed Leslie Sansone Walk at Home CD. It has 5 miles on it but I only did 1 mile. It's cloudy and a little chilly today so I exercised "with" Leslie today.

Earlier dh and I watched Carolina beat Washington. Go Heels!

• NatureGrrl
    edited March 2011

Wonderland, I fell in Jan. but thought the wrist pain that popped up a few days later was an SE of arimidex -- I've had it before -- took two months of increasing pain before I realized it was probably from my fall.  It's ok, just inflammed tendons, and I had a cortisone shot about 11 days ago and am wearing a better brace so it's a lot better.  Silly me for not figuring it out sooner!  Not EVERYthing is an SE of arimidex!   Undecided

I have LS, too, with 3 different walks on it, a good workout when I can't get outside.  

Thanks for mentioning b-ball, I think Purdue is playing tonight, go Boilers! :)

• Sandeeonherown
    edited March 2011

Renrel- my boss did that line on me in December ...rad #15/16...I am ..we are ...very concerned. Sandee....His daughter had mentioned in July that year that I had been missing a lot of work 'dure to appointments' (I had a dentist appointment for a filling that he fallen out and then 2 mammograms)...I too go in early and leave late...and I write down EVERY second I work on my time sheet....honestly....all you can do is continue with loving kindness...and DOCUMENT your time so no one can call it in to question....or go and tell her directly that that is what you have been doing to catch up on the 3 minutes you are late. honestly....I think cancer scares the crap out of people and as a result, they act inappropriately.

Wonderland - thanks for the warners suggestion. I used to wear them too....no quite the right shape fit now...Wacoal is my new favourite but the wire .....and the seam across the nipple are not doign a thing for me!

Cheryl- Thanks.....am tryin gvery hard to be real...let my emotions do what they are doign without trampling on anyone as I go along. Hilary will indeed understand my energy level. I just want to enjoy this all to the fullest....to be fully present while I am there...the 24 hour rule stands...

walked with my friend int he country today while walking her dog..nothing strenuous and then watched movies and made food together. we decided to go healthy..carrot soup, salad and chicken and an omlet for breakfast..food fest but nothing bad....(uhoh popcorn...forgot about the popcorn..does it count if I drank green tea with it?)

• ruthbru
    edited March 2011

Hi All! Still slogging through the paperwork, so am only allowing myself a quick break. Cold and gloomy here today, but a friend called & wanted to walk; so doned many layers and off we went. Have a great week ahead! Ruth