Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited April 2011

Julie- did you have a headache to accompany the eye thing? I used to get migraines when I was perimenopausal and sometimes it would be flashing lights and weird peripheral stuff....and then turn into a behind the eye migraine....glad it is not the retinas.CArdio team has not said much to me...when I was in the hospital, they said add 5 minutes of walkign per day...they did not say how far or how fast..guess that is what the stress test will be for after I have met the folks at the cardio health clinic...I suspect I am going to be spending time with older men!...(and not in the way we might want!)

Naturegurrl- ther eis apparently a way to measure...you pace out 30feet and then count how many steps it takes you to walk it and then divide and voila...but I figure my steps are about 2feet...I tend to take 3 steps for everyone else's two!

Badger- 90 minutes in a nature park sounds grand..can't wait for two weeks when I can DRIvE Again!!! Out I will go to the Atlantic ocean!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited April 2011

Hi ladies, yes, spring is here, I think buds are on the trees too.

Carol, you are so the Nature Girl, Love reading your posts. Badger, yes, Mother Earth is giving us spring.

Julie, glad your doctor said good things about eye problem.

I made myself very proud today. I decided to go to gym earlier than normal today. Class starts at 11:15. I got there at 9:45 and jumped right into a Kinesis circuit class. I have not done anything but danced since mast. Was too afraid. I had no problems. Did push ups, worked with Kinesis cables, worked with the trainer and boxed, squatted, did everything I used to. I did this class for 40 minutes, took a breather then went for the hour of Zumba. I was so excited all day and now I am thrilled to share my progress with my bc sisters. I used to do Kinesis exclusively but that was is in the old days. I can't believe what I did today.

I am signing up with a trainer this week. I want to thank everyone on this site for all the inspiration.

I am all worked up, I am going to gym tomorrow for more Zumba and belly dance/funk.- 2 separate classes back to back.

Love to all, again, have a great weekend. Yes, Spring is here.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,534
    edited April 2011

You Go Girl!!!!!!

• Sandeeonherown
    edited April 2011

YAY Ronna!!! You sound sooo much more focused..and strong and ready to believe. Keep us posted on how it goes!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2011

Good morning ladies, the rain has stopped (for now), the sun is shining and the birds are singing.  I'm headed out for a walk. Carol you can hitch a ride with the angel on my right shoulder. Try to avoid the devil on my left shoulder that whispers sweet temptations. Happy Sunday!  {{hugs}}

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited April 2011

Back from California.  After my wonderful day with Cheryl on Wednesday, my dh flew in that night.  After the conference was over on Thursday, we took Amtrak up to the LA area to see my SIL and the rest of dh's family.  What a beautiful train ride that is!  For a good part of it, the tracks run right along the beach - we had fun watch surfers and dogs play in the ocean all the way up the coast.  It was so good to see SIL - she finished chemo a few weeks ago and just started rads this week. She already has about an inch of that post-chemo baby fuzz hair - which she's dyed bright red!!!  It looked great - she's definitely has a kick-butt attitude about this whole b/c thing. She may be my SIL to the rest of the world, but in my heart she's my b/c sister, and as you all said, that's a special bond.

SIL and her husband live up in the foothills - every morning dh and I took an hour plus sunrise walk climbing to the top of the nearest high hill.  We had spectacular 360 views, and the snow-topped mountains in the distance seemed so close - almost like you could reach out and touch them - and were bathed in the pink-gold light of the rising sun.  We saw birds that were like ours, but in a "West Coast version" - bluebirds, juncos, goldfinches, etc. were all recognizable, but "dressed" just a bit differently.  And bunnies galore!!!  We counted over 50 bunnies one morning!  They've had a lot of rain so all the hills were covered with what looked like a rich green velvet.  All in all a great trip.  

We got in late last night, so no exercise for me today.  But I'll be back in the saddle tomorrow.

Just a few quick notes - Ruth - ouch!!  Glad you're getting an appointment with the surgeon.  Carol - glad the ankle seems to be improving a bit.  Sherry - I hope your dad is getting some relief as the treatments continue.  Hugs to you both.  Kim - a yellow lab puppy - you're braver than I am!!!  Laughing  They're a lot of fun and so goofy at that age, but the energy they have!!!  Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with him.  If you don't know the trick, get one of those Kong toys (they look sort of like a hollow Michelin man) and stuff peanut butter into the hole in the bottom.  It'll keep a young pup busy for several minutes as they try to lick out every molecule of that peanut butter and give you a bit of a break.  My aunt and uncle had a lively golden and they'd do that just before dinner so they could eat in peace without worrying that the pup was getting into something she shouldn't.  Ronna - sorry about the mammo callback, but good that they're being careful and want to check out even the smallest thing.  Congrats on doing so well in the circuit class!  Julie - my dh had a spell where he had a few events like that with the flashing lights but no headache.  The doctor thinks they were something called ocular migraines - they're like migraines, but fortunately without the debilitating headache.  He had them for a few weeks while I was in active treatment, and hasn't had them since, so we figure stress had something to do with it for him.  Sandee - sounds like you're going to be the hot young chick in the cardio gym!  WinkCheryl - thanks again for such a wonderful day at the game - it was so much fun to meet you.  And yep, I did that 5 minute thing on the elliptical when I was first out of treatment too - sometimes it seems that progress comes so slowly, but when you step back and realize where we started, it's neat to look back and see how far we've come.     

Happy Sunday everyone! 

[Edited for spelling - no I wasn't tired from the travel when I posted this yesterday!]

• Sandeeonherown
    edited April 2011

Walked 6860 steps inthe sunshine this afternoon. I adjusted my steps so it says only 2.7 miles instead of 3.7 from last week...ah well....still a lot of walking! Now I need to match my eating to my exercize...really not hungry post heart attack...but making myself eat all the right things ...stuff I usually eat but not very interested in food right now...ah well..

Natsfan- will keep you posted. re, the cardio team....I might be surprised! Might be fun to be in a group as the youngest as opposed to work where I am th eoldest (ESL teachers are a young lot!)

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited April 2011

Did some yard work until it got too hot.  When it cools down this evening I need to work in my garden and stake my tomatoe plants they are starting to get bigger an need the support.  I may try to get DH to go for a walk with me.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2011

Very light toning & very short walk. I am going to call the clinic & see if there is any way to see the surgeon earlier than the 18th, as I am pretty miserable. Boo Hoo!!!

• Sandeeonherown
    edited April 2011

Oh Ruth- so sorry you are hurting...jus one more thing, hmm? The 18th is a week away...anything your Gp can do for you in the interim if you can't get in earlier?

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011

Ruth take care of yourself.  You will feel better once you have surgery.  We will all go with you.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2011

If the desk won't let me bump up the appointment, then I will get in contact with my GP.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited April 2011

{{Ruth}} will be thinking of you this week, hoping for healing surgery to come fast.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,855
    edited April 2011

Good luck Ruth. Hope you get relief soon.

• Sandeeonherown
    edited April 2011

We are in your pocket....

• ruthbru
    edited April 2011
    thanks Smile
  • shannonW
    shannonW Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2011

Just walked with my family and doggie!

• julie75
    julie75 Member Posts: 295
    edited April 2011

Ruth:  Arrgh, the 18th (or sooner) can't get here early enough!  Feel better.

• julie75
    edited April 2011

Hello, Everyone:

shannonW: Welcome to this thread. Good for you, walking the dog with family sounds like a great way to get some exercise!

Ruth: Good luck with getting in earlier. Sending healing thoughts, along with everyone else.

Sandee: Sounds like you had a good workout today. 2.7 miles counts. It might be fun, being the youngest person in the cardio group!

Sherry: Did you and DH go for a walk today? Sounds like you've got a bumper crop of tomatoes coming up. I miss growing stuff at times, but our 4 African violets upstairs seem to be doing just fine, thanks to DH.

Ronna: Good for you! How wonderful to be able to do all of that. Keep up the excellent work. More inspiration for us.

Carol: Hope you are feeling better and the ankle is healing.

Badger: Glad you are enjoying warm weather back there. I haven't been keeping up with the Wisconsin legislature thing, but how are things going with that?

Mary: What a wonderful time you had out here with Cheryl and your SIL! I like the bright red hairdo. Lots of wildlife in the hills and deserts to see; it's never dull.

Wendy: Too bad about the movie; maybe I should just buy the book. You got some exercise in this weekend, even though you "blew" your diet at the movie.

Hello to Everyone Else, and hope all are enjoying their Sunday evening.

Did 5 mile jog/walk Saturday. DH and I went out for Mexican food Sat. night. Today, I bought a set of 20 lb. ankle weights; will start using those tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the info and advice on the eyes. Yes, I do get migraines, but am also stuck with those darn "floaties". Apparently, that is a sign of aging. Noticed yet another one in my right eye. I'll definitely keep monitoring them; I love to read and would hate losing vision due to something that can be fixed.

No exercise today, but that's okay. Am resting and spending quality time with DH and cats.

{{{HUGS}}}

Julie

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited April 2011

Back to routine - 20 minute Lebeds and 30 minutes on the elliptical this a.m.  I missed my dawn walk up the California foothills! 

Shannon - you're in good company - there are a lot of dog people here.  What kind of dog do you have?  We have a 16 or 17 year old Chihuahua, so she gets carried a lot more than she walks!  Laughing

Ruth - hopefully your GP can work the system and get your appointment pushed up.  You should not have to be in pain like this.  

Julie - Mexican food - yummmmmmm! 

• julie75
    edited April 2011

Yikes!  My hometown of Merrill, Wisconsin, was hit by a tornado last night!!!  My siblings no longer live there, so that's a relief, but I feel badly for the rest of the folks there.  It's time for a Red-Cross donation.

Badger:  Hope those storms missed you.  I didnt' see any reports of damage from the southern part of the state.

Mary:  Glad you're back up to your routine.  The California foothills will always be here for you to come back to and walk through again.  

Hello to Everyone Else; I ran my 4.6 miles at work and will resistance train tonight.

{{{HUGS}}}

Julie

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011

Julie-I did not go for my walk.  I am so bad.  Ended up doing some computer work for my job.  I do think I will have a bumper tomatoe and yellow squash crop.  My squash is going crazy.  I did not have a good crop last year.

Tonight is yoga night, can wait.  But I think I may have already exercized enough today.  I have faught with my copy machine all afternoon.  Up and down from my desk to fix the jams. uuuurrrrgh.

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2011

Hi guys...

I have a question.  As I mentioned earlier, I had my one dx date pass on 4/1/11 and my onc visit is next week, followed by gyn, then surgeon, then mammo or mri depending on what they say, etc. etc.

I felt this cloud of depression hit me today.  Is this what normally happens?  I go along thinking I'm not scared anymore, and then out of the blue the whole thing hits me.

Meanwhile I have friends saying things like "I'll bet it's hard knowing it still could come back" or "we need to find a cure from breast cancer because there is no cure."  I'm sure they mean well, but ??????

I'm just in a funk, even though I have been exercising very well...but eating super cruddy.  I just feel really really sad today.  I'm hoping this is a normal experience.  Heh, I'm never really "normal" but you get my drift....

Kim 

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2011

Oh and I forgot to send a hug to dear Ruth...I hope by the time you read this you have a surgery appt.

• julie75
    edited April 2011

Hey, Kim:

{{{HUGS}}} to you.

From what I've read, your reaction is normal.  If I recall correctly, Ruth had similar feelings on her "cancerversary", and others have as well.  (Haven't had mine yet, but I'm thinking I'll feel the same way.)

As to friends, I think they mean well, but just don't know how to put things.  If they haven't been through this, they just don't know. 

Here's hoping your funk passes very soon.

Sherry:  I understand your frustration - sometimes dealing with work issues are overwhelming; I've skipped exercise because of this as well.  I'm sure you'll be back exercising in no time.

Julie

• Sandeeonherown
    edited April 2011

Dazed- I imagine I will feel the same way....just knowing I now have heart stuff to deal with and tamoxifen issues bums me out a bit but overall, I am feelin gok..bu tI know it can hit at any time..I fear depression more than cancer....(on some level anyhow)...

Julie- Have you told your eye doc you are on BC meds? They can affect vision...

I walked to the cardio clinic today..not wuie as far as work and then asked someone to pick me up on the way to work....and accepted a ride home form someone...it was a long day with 2 hours of cardio info and then 4.5 hours of work...now I am wiped out...didn't sleep well last night so hoping to bein bed by 10:30tonight..my brain needs time to click off....I am a night owl so this is hard!

ruth- any news???

Shannon- WELcoME

night all:)

• julie75
    edited April 2011

Wondering how Ruth is doing as well . . .

• WendyK
    WendyK Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2011

Beautiful day today...did a 30 min walk at lunch today...then in my insanity did a sleek and strong class and a zumba back to back..tired now ..and women cramps to boot lol. Sposed to be another lovely day tomorrow .

Kim....there is no normal...just get through the day....take care. I go through periods of sadness too and I am a six year survivor

Wendy

• ruthbru
    edited April 2011

Hi, this is the first time today I've had to check in. The GP (whom I LOVE), worked his magic and got me in to see the surgeon today. Yes, it is for sure a hernia. It is small, and should be easy to take care of. He recommends surgery sooner than later, as they do keep growing and can get 'strangulated' and other horrible things of that nature. (My response being, "If I lie down on the table, will you do it right now?"...he wouldn't cooperate) Anyway, I am set up for surgery on the 25, so I am relieved about that. I am suppose to take that whole week off, which will be a pain to get ready for and to come back to. But such is life.

Kim, sending a big hug. Yes, it is unfortunately totally normal. I work myself into a frantic state starting about 2 weeks before rechecks. If I don't drop dead from a heart attack or stroke before one of them, it will be a miracle! (And after they tell me I'm O.K., I burst into tears on the way out of the clinic.....at least I expect it now....otherwise it is just as bad). And PEOPLE are so STUPID, you just have to shake your head and think 'REALLY?!' One lady (I'm not going to say 'friend') told me when my hair came back that, "Your hair is so cute, people would just DIE for that style. "REALLY?!" and of course people are cured! My aunt had BC in the 1960s, never had a recurrence and died a few years ago at the age of 88. My grandfather had stomach cancer in the 1950s, had surgery, and was sent home to die......30 years later he did at the age of 93, and not of cancer either!

It was as beautiful as can be tonight, so walked for an hour and then went and forced my dad to watch part of 'Dancing With the Stars' with me. Does that count as elder abuse?

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited April 2011

Kim what you are feeling is absolutely normal and unless someone has sailed in the boat with us you should just nod you head go "ummhmmm" and mutter under your breath "idiot" and walk away, no one has a clue how we feel and especially around diagnosis time cause your head goes back to this time last year or 2 years ago or 5 years ago - it never leaves, I always remember standing at the reception desk and the girl was making my mammo appointment and she came up with Friday the 13th and I said oh no I'm superstitious well having it on Monday the 16th didn't do me any good did it.

Ruth I am so glad you got in to see the surgeon and got yourself a date to get the hernia taken care of and in the mean time just take it easy. Julie thanks for the "wave" wasn't it was perfect weather here over the weekend ?  Ronna I am so happy for you - look how far you've come, "you go girl"!!. Nats I'm so glad you had a nice visit with the family and I can attest that those hills are all blooming as my sinuses are dripping like a tapFrown. Sandee hope you get some rest tonight. Sherry I know your pain, all weekend I've been dealing with computer glitches cable company says it's the router, router company says it's the cable, would somebody just please take responsibility and help me I'm not an 12 year old computer whiz kid, I don't have a clue how it all works grrrrrrr.  Welcome Shannon and Carol where are you, how is the foot?

I did spin class tonight, I know my quads will be on fire tomorrow but isn't that why we exercise - to challenge ourselvesSmile