Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2011

ooh Mary how fun, your very own workout space and brand-new machines.

hi mscal02 and welcome, walking is good.  It's my primary form of exercise.  

In fact, I got a group of five to walk at lunch today.  Maybe tomorrow I can muster another good group.  It's supposed to be the last moderate day for a while.  It's so much easier to get people outside when it's 75 not 95.  (ya think?) 

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2011

Mary - I got the drain removed today!!!! I am drain (and BC) free!  and totally know about getting it caught - it's like the scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding!...  Sounds like yesterday was great!  Lucky, lucky you!  I hope to walk this Saturday morning.... want to avoid too much too soon and risk more infection (yuk)... still have a bit of healing from my NSS surgery, let alone from the TE removal surgery.

Badger - thanks for the hugs and thoughts {{{Hugs back to you too!}}}}

Ruth - my ND buddy - I've never been to ND but feel, via family connection, like an honorary resident  - prayers to you all in the clean-up and aftermath. 

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited July 2011

and can I just say how much I adore you all???Seriously...BAdger...will check the video out as soon as I log off..but I already know if you sent it, it will be magic

I called and left messages and likely the counsellor thinks I am ignoring his messages as apparently my phone has not been working for two days...so will call and leave another one tomorrow. I am more worrying about taking the time off than not...the message it will send to my employer and his kid who runs the show...but honestly, th e5 weeks was my original plan anyhow...I just caved and said 3 when she did not show much enthusiasm for my idea...

cheryl- sounds like me too...the pump classes help me focus and breathe..the yoga goes to slow for me....but I do enjoy them when I am in the mood. The paddling affects melike the pump class....no thinking..just breathing and using your strength..that is the key for me...feeling strong.

My sister, bless her, wrote and said "Sandee, you got through two years of difficult things....marrriage split, breast cancer, a heart attack...this is the easy part....slowing down and just BEING"....thought I would share that with you all because it reallly really resonated with me this evening. Brilliant!

Tonight I paddled in the recreation boat but there were only 8 of us so Igot to be at the front setting the pace....learned that I really like to set the pace! new things learned every day.Massage (for lymph drinage) tomorrow am....not a gold pair of earrings but this body work is the gift I am giving myself right now...thing the next gift is a hair cut!

Elizabeth..How did it go?

ruth- great idea re. being gentle..I went to the ocean yesterday,which is why I live so close to it..and I just sat...I hav said no to two parties for tomorrow and hav called a girlfriend up to go to a movie and dinner instead...she has been away for 6 months and I have missed her. Seems like a better thing to do...and yes...I have been buying clothes that fit and am contemplating a trip somewhere hot for a week. it sure as hell isn't Halifax this summer!

vhsehea- keep me posted . Good for you for making an appointment too, Taking care of our emotional well being is a huge huge part of healing this....I have been a moving target for th epast 13 months and now that I am slowing down and taking things off my plate, the tears are coming so....they deserve some time...think I have decided on managing it and beating this feeling rather than not

• Sandeeonherown
    edited July 2011

Badger- she is one of my favourite singers..I posted a link to this song ages ago oo...such a good one. Thank you for the reminder and the youtube link I only had her savesd with frostwire!!! Thank you:)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,531
    edited July 2011

vhshea, glad the drain is gone. Take it pretty easy until you get it all healed up. I think you are sending some of your weather because it is suppose to be in the upper 90s this weekend....which we are totally not used to and will not enjoy!

Sandee, I think you will have plenty of hot places to choose from when you plan your trip! Wierd weather everywhere. Massage and good haircuts definitely count as presents!

I have to give a presentation on Sunday and have putting off working on it but guess I better at least go shuffle a few papers around before I go to bed.

Hugs to All! Ruth

• beacher4209
    beacher4209 Member Posts: 259
    edited July 2011

Hi! my first time here,i am almost 5 weeks post op from my reconstruction. Did not know what other thread to go to, but knew my priority was to start working out.Always have and i miss it more than anything else. I had a left mx with t/e than 500cc implant. Than on the right had a lift and smaller implant 250cc. i did have radiation ... The right side still is swollen (ihope) cause i do not want to be this big and of course the other looks like a hamburger bun. But i began working out from the waist down hips,inner outer thighs, butt, and abs. i am also doing i 1 mile tread mill wich i hope to increase.. BUT the best feeling is with all the pain ive had in this past year that a old pain i remember when i worked out i use to hate it now i love it cause i know my muscles are back to work and getting strong again :)   any advice my ears are open... take care

• MRDRN
    MRDRN Member Posts: 177
    edited July 2011

Welcome Beacher!  Yes it is a GREAT thread.  These ladies are very motivating.  My exercise today?  The usual dog walk, light swim, and tons of housework.  Just starting to read up thread...

• beacher4209
    edited July 2011

Thanks mrdrn,looking forward to this thread for inspiration.... and hearing from you gets me excited thanks

• beacher4209
    edited July 2011

the next person is watching dance! My passion...

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167
    edited July 2011

I got my hour and1/2 walk in this evening.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited July 2011

Tonight drove 120 miles round trip to Pasadena to do two classes back to back Body Vive and Body Jam, so all in all today 3 hours of working out I think I may have gone over the edgeLaughing 

Mary wow how lucky you are a whole rec center to yourself and all that lovely new equipment.  Sandee your sister is a wise woman.  V glad the drains are out.  Badger you are the pied piper of Madison.  Wecome to mscal & beacher.  I am exhausted, nite all.

• MRDRN
    edited July 2011

ok so four hours sleep isn't bad...wish I could live one day without pain :(

Thanks for asking about my "foot" and I think that specifically is better....think the new Merril clogs I got for walking caused it? The right didn't fit like the left, and used ice where it hurt and stopped wearing them.... aLSO made an appt with the Oncologist because it has been a year and I am going to ask for a repeat PET scan. I just want to be sure it is FM only.  

So I am living in the moment and just BEING....I like what your sister said Sandee and all these "different exercises" are motivating me to try something new.  I felt my tires of the bike yesterday and they are flat...may take it in to get fixed today!  

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

MR, I had a case of planters fasciitis that hurt like heck and lasted a long time. One interesting thing I learned was to always wear supported shoes (not go barefoot even in the house). I also slept with that foot elevated by a pillow and bought inserts for all my shoes (at Walmart), try the Dr. Sholls machine at Walmart, you stand on it and it tells you what level of insert you need (about $50), I bought some and wear them in my tennis shoes. It has reallt made a difference. Yes, and never wear shoes that don't feel right, no matter how cute they are or how much they cost!

Hi beacher! Sounds like you have a good plan to get back at it. Like you, I concentrated on lower body work after surgery. I had always hated and didn't do much lower body work before, so I ended up going down a pants size just from really exercising it!! An unexpected and good thing.

Yes Cheryl, you win the 'Over the Edge with Exercise Award"!!!!!

Have great day all!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2011

Beacher - welcome!  This is a great group and very inspiring.  Cheryl, my goodness - you're just having a ball with all the exercise classes, aren't you!  Isn't it nice to feel good again? V- hooray for the drain coming out!!!  Only someone who has been there can understand what a great feeling it is to not have hand grenades hanging out of you.  Badger - I can just see you standing there like a drill sargeant, rounding up co-workers and putting them through their paces! Laughing  Sandee - I LOVE what your sister wrote - it's perfect!  Thank you so much for sharing it - it resonated with me as well. 

Ruth - thanks for sending your wonderful weather down to DC.  We're getting a couple of days break from our normal hazy, hot and humid weather - it's been crisp and not humid.  Dragged dh out for a 50 minute walk last night then ate out on the deck - it was just too nice of a night to stay in.  BTW, for those of you with iPhones, there's a wonderful app called StarWalk - I think it was $2.99. It's so neat - you can point your iPhone at the sky and see the stars, constellations, and satellites you are looking at in real-time. It labels them and even shadows in the constellation shapes.  It works for whatever direction you hold your phone - even if you hold it towards the ground, it shows you the star pattern in China (or whatever is on the other side of the earth.)  We've had so much fun with it. There's probably one for Droid smart phones as well.  I also downloaded Angry Birds last night - I just had to see what all the fuss was about.  I can see where it could be very addictive - the derisive pig snort noises when you lose a round really make you want to get them next time! Tongue out

Off to the cabin this weekend.  The insurance claim has been approved and the contractor thinks he can get us scheduled in about 2 weeks.  So we're still members of the Blue Roof club with our disaster tarp.  Undecided

[edited cuz I can't spell worth anything]

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited July 2011

Welcome beacher this is great support for our exercise, keeps me motivated because I feel like I have to check in. 

Sandee I love what your sister wrote to you.

Did not make it to yoga last night. Had a commitment after work and did not finish in time,Frown I'll have to do a video over the weekend.

• Just_V
    edited July 2011

Yeah, Beacher - I am sitting on my butt, not doing any exercise and they are still nice to me!  Welcome!

• MRDRN
    edited July 2011

Hey Ruth, Thanks yes, I know about the god awful PF...I know I sound like a train wreck but I was so healthy until the past year or so...I do know that the increase in exercise makes a huge difference.

The weather here IS so cool ....Hello Weekend !  It is supposed to be beautiful :)

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

Mary, send our nice weather back!!!!!!!! A very, very hot and humid forecast around here for the next week.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2011

Just various housework all week, no formal exercise and tonight battling a horrid cold so hopefully will get something in this weekend.

Going to get some soup and bed.

Night my sculpted friends.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

30 minutes of walking in the hot, broiling sun and humidity (remind me that summer weather is not necessarily all that great when I'm complaining about the cold in the winter!). Also did a 30 minute FIRM toning DVD.

Hope you feel better, patoo!

• Just_V
    edited July 2011

Ruth - my husband and I have a pact not to complain about summer in Dallas (14th straight day of 100+ temps) because we appreciate the Dallas winters so much after growing up in Illinois!  LOL - we always seem to want something just a bit different than we have...

• badger
    edited July 2011

greetings from the pied piper of pedestrians LOL!  Two groups walked today.  One group walked around the Capitol square and the other group walked to have lunch.  It's so nice to get people up and away from their desks at noon, makes the day more pleasant and productive.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited July 2011

ebann - (((HUGS))) May your chemo be gentle on you.

Sandee - Warm thoughts to you.

vhshea - Yes! The drain is gone!

Julie - glad you checked in.

Cheryl - I'm impressed about the early morning exercise!

badger - Great role model (and pied piper)!

Mary - Good news on your cabin. Have fun this weekend.

mrdrn - sorry about your foot pain.

beacher - Welcome!

Ruth - All your exercise is taking care of the good Carolina food you ate! Ugh on the weather.

Patoo - Get better!

Sherry - Sorry about your father. Glad he's doing good.

Hello to everyone!

No exercise for me the last 2 days. Sinuses are acting up and I feel draggy.

• Sandeeonherown
    edited July 2011

Nats fan/Sherry- yep....my sister hit the nail on the head this week....how do you just BE is my current question!

Walked downtown after a lovely meal with a pal who has just returned home for the summer. Was very winded...flat street...so I really do not think this is 'depression'....it really does feel physical... my pal said it reminder her of when her asthma is acting up...no air....made sense. We shall see. Paddling was no problem hough last night so....weird.

Beacher- welcome. This thread really helps keep you on target with exercize etc. it is so empowering to feel the familiar ache instead of a new scary one. Bravo for the return to the gym!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited July 2011

I did not exercise again today.  I got the results of my MRI and I have a herniated disk in my neck.  It is C5&C6.  I broke my neck 16 years ago and broke 5, 6 & 7.  C6 &C7 are fused, they did not do 5 because I would have lost too much range of motion in my neck.  So the good news is it is not bad enough to have surgery and I am already taking the medications because of my breast nerve damage and my arthritis.  So unless it gets to where those meds are not working then we will look at others.  The Dr wants to take a conservative aproach which I am very OK with.  I have done the neck surgery and it took months of rehab and a very long time to get back to somewhat normal.  So I do not want to have to go through that again unless I absolutly have to which I don't right now.  But I will have to adjust my yoga practice as some posses will not be a good idea for me.  But I can live with that too. So I am looking at the positives in all this and it is not BC related so that is another positive.  I spoke to one of my brother's today who is radiology tech and he also said for me not to do any surgery unless I absolulty have to, so I felt better after talking to him.

• mscal02
    edited July 2011

Sherryc: I am glad that you do not have to have surgery.

• mscal02
    edited July 2011

I didn't walk today. I went to the produce market and bought fresh peas, greens and snap beans. I strarted them cooking and exercised on my elliptical.

• hbcheryl
    edited July 2011

Awwww Ruth come and walk here, it's absolutely beautiful, cloud cover in the morning, sunshine in the afternoon.  Mary good to know insurance has come through, now comes the fun part - rebuilding, hope your "kids" don't get too freaked out with all the work going on.  Sherry glad you don't have to have surgery and now you know what it is you'll be able to adjust accordingly.  V I've only been to Dallas once about 25 years ago - I thought I'd die in the heat, inside it was lovely, outside now that was another story.  Feel better Patoo.

Tonight I had a kickboxing lesson. Came to be because I got a Groupon offer and noticed the address was across the road from my office so on wednesday I walked over and spoke to the owner and decided to try it. He's only just starting out so went tonight and I was the only one there and he trained me. I got to put the gloves on and hit, really hit. OMG it was so much FUN.

• hbcheryl
    edited July 2011

Forgot to say, got my mammogram appointment tomorrow at 1.30pm so a little scanxiety starting up.  Don't know what possessed me to make the appointment on saturday afternoon, seemed like a good idea at the time, now I just have to remember to go.

• badger
    edited July 2011

Thanks Cheryl for my first smile of the day, I love the thought of you kicking and punching.

And you did it without any music, right?  Laughing  Best wishes for your mammo this afternoon!