Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2011

Mary - what a menagerie you have.  My mom had a elderly friend who died when I was a kid, and I adopted the miniature chiuaua that was about a hundred years old but how I loved that dog.  So sorry about your friend, and what a wonderful person you are to relieve her of worrying about her 'children'

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited July 2011

Mary, what a great thing to do, so sorry about your friend but so glad you can take on her little zoo, those poor critters will really need some love (and your cat will need some space and time!).  My 19 YO cat isn't too thrilled with our move although it's funny, she's all jittery and nervous and creeping around, but come dinner time and she's quite normal :)  I know the change is hard on her, made more so because things (boxes) are constantly moving around/disappearing, so every time she comes out from under the bed (she sleeps in the box springs), something else has changed and it makes her nervous.  Doesn't help that she can't hear well, either.  Give your friend's pets a pet from me!

vshea, I was running at 7 AM when I lived in Dallas, I ended up with heat exhaustion after a couple of weeks, that weather is brutal!  I complain about the midwest but TX is in it's own zone!

Julie, thinking of you!

mscal, 3 hours is terrific!!

Hi, Ruth!  Hi, everyone!  I'm still slowly scrolling back to catch up with everyone...

My exercise yesterday was hauling more boxes back and forth between mom's house (I should say, my brother's house, since he's buying it) and my apartment.  I have garage space at the house that I can still use for storage so as I unpack, toss, donate, and decide what to keep, I still have the option of hanging on to things I can't use now but don't have room for and don't want to get rid of.  Very helpful.  I'm going to have to get out the DVD's soon, or start walking in the early mornings, because it doesn't look like our heat is going to break for a few more weeks. Yuck.

Stay cool & hydrated, and keep up the good work, everyone!

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167
    edited July 2011

NatureGrrl:You are getting a good work out unpacking.I only walked 1 1/2 hours this morning. I got a late start and it got too hot.

Mary; that is a wonderful thing that you are doing. I know that your friend and her pets really appreciate you.

Badger: You will find the perfect job.

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited July 2011

Mary, you are always doing something for somebody-thank goodness your friend has you (I'm sure the pets are thinking the same thing!)

Carol, so happy you are getting settled in-I can't believe you have a 19 year old cat...that is really cool.  

Hope Julie is doing well today.  My friend Jackie started her chemo today...our friend Jack's mom was dx'd yesterday with both ILC and IDC...another friend of mine has a birads 4 biopsy coming up...GEEEEZE...

I did bone building jump rope, "hopscotch" (I should you tube this for the entertainment value) and speedball workouts.  Pretty fun.  My language teacher from high school is going to be in San Fran on Friday and Saturday, so I'm meeting her and playing tour guide for a couple days in one of the most beautiful cities in the world!

Gotta go catch up on some more news from y'all...

Kim 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,531
    edited July 2011

It's fun to be a tour guide of a place you love.

I was busy all day, and took off a day from exercise Surprised!!!! I'll get back at it tomorrow.

Stay Cool!!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited July 2011

Just a few notes today:

Rabbit: my BP really bottomed out like yours during my chemo and rads. Enjoy your good days!

Carol: so glad to see you! Awesome, over-the-moon news about her heart!!! Moving is no fun unless it's to your own place!

Mary: Go Jillian!

Badger: Good luck on your job hunt.

Julie: hope your new nipple is beautiful!

Hello to everyone!

I didn't exercise today BUT I did yesterday. I walked/jogged 2 miles at the park. It was hot so I decided to take today off.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited July 2011

cardiac rehab two times this week (3.8 on the treadmill , 8-9 inclune and jogged for half of it in intervals)....and paddling for an hour on Monday. Paddling again tomorrow evening for an hour....flying to Otawa Friday for my best friend's 50th!!! wheeha!!!

• zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,617
    edited July 2011

Super Callanetics, first pass, kicked my a$$.  Who knew all those tiny movements could have me breathing so hard and dripping sweat?  Bet I will feel it tomorrow!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited July 2011

Mary you are a wonderful friend the poor babies how frightening for them. The min pin was probably filling up cause he sensed something was wrong and was stress eating (can't we all relate), now I want to be a fly on the wall (or rather in the car) when you next head up to the cabin with the brood. I had a bit of a run in today. We take our dogs to work, my co-worker has a beautiful Burmese Mountain dog, he's about 80lbs a massive gentle giant. Well out of nowhere comes a pit bull I picked up Rooney and the dog was jumping up and I kept turning around and then Nina put herself between the dog and her Jake and the pit bull is running and jumping between the two of us, some guy comes running up screaming and the dog leaves us and runs to him and this guy lays into the dog and beat the crap out of it, well I got so mad I was screaming at him "knock it off, it's not his fault you let him loose" the poor dog probably only wanted to play but when that comes at you it's frightening.

Kim I am hitting the road this weekend as well, I'm driving up to Santa Barbara my visitors were heading to SFO next week but my neighbor is now taking them to Vegas for 4 days.

Did Body Pump and Body Combat classes tonight, didn't think I could do the two classes back to back but once the music started up I got a second wind and made it through.

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited July 2011

Cheryl, what a jerk, glad you stood up for the dog.  Poor dog -- what an owner.  One of the first places I applied for a job after college was Santa Barbara (the botanical garden) -- what a lovely area!

Hi, Kim!!  Yes, cancer, cancer, everywhere -- hate it.  Ruth, a day off is good for your body, so good for you for giving it that break!  I'll bet you still moved plenty, tho -- you don't sit still for long, it seems! Wonderland, zogo, sandee -- all doing good work -- keep it up.

I hit a wall with unpacking yesterday, just couldn't face it, so I finally just sat down and read a book and daydreamed for awhile.  So I was extra bad with exercise but good for my soul.  Right now I have certain unpacking planned for the next few days, then back to walking on Monday.  Can't wait to get back to Celery Bog!  I've been on my feet and up and down stairs so much, I know my legs are stronger, but regular walking again will feel great. 

Our temps are still predicted for 88-96 the next 10 days, bleech!  Enough, already!  But what can you do.

Keep on truckin', Tarts!

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167
    edited July 2011

Hi Everyone: I am not walking today. I thought I would rest my muscles and just clean house,and prepare for a garage sale that I am going to have in a week or two when it cools down a bit.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2011

I'm not sure the Min Pin feels so lucky to have landed with me - his food rations have suddenly halved and his walks have doubled! Laughing We weighed him today - he should weigh 8-10 pounds, but Fat Boy Mikey weighs 15 pounds!!!!! He looks like a sausage on toothpicks. I'm making him an honorary member of the Wednesday Weigh In club - we'll see where we are next week.  In all seriousness, all three "houseguests" are very stressed.  We've given the old Siamese his own private room - he's in a spare room with food, water, and a litter box, a large window, and a comfy couch.  He's so traumatized!  We're keeping the door shut so he can be safe and secure in there, and we're just going in for short periods of time to talk a bit with him, but otherwise we're not forcing the issue till he's ready.  We've taken care of the two dogs before when my friend has gone on vacation in prior years, so we know them and they know us, so they're having a bit of an easier transition, although the dachshund keeps whining at the door and looking around for my friend.

Did a slow mile last night and again this morning with Fat Boy Mikey, plus 15 minute Lebeds this morning.  Someone had asked a few pages ago what Lebeds are.  I have arm and truncal lymphedema, and they are a series of slow, almost tai chi like, exercises that when done in a particular sequence encourage lymphatic drainage and the movement of lymphatic fluid.  They're part of LE management. They're actually rather nice to do and contain some great upper body stretches - I would probably do them even if I didn't have LE. 

Cheryl - that poor pit bull. Good for you for standing up to the owner, but it won't change him.  If you ever happen to see where he lives, absolutely call it in to your local humane officers.  They'll keep your info confidential, but if nothing else they can at least put a good scare into the owner.  Unfortunately pits are the dog of choice of idiots. Not that every pit owner is an idiot by any means - most are wonderful owners.  But if an idiot that wants a dog, he gets a pit, so they come in for more than their fair share of abuse and outright cruelty.  I saw a lot of terrible things happen to animals in the 15 years I worked at our local animal shelter, and it was some of the things that people had done to pits that caused me the most sleepless nights.  Poor babies.     

Kim - envy you your day in SF - my favorite city in the US (besides DC of course!).

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

I hate people who are mean to animals, and children too. How can they not turn out bad when they are treated so cruelly themselves?

Good luck with all your visitors, Mary. Cats do not handle change as well as dogs, who seem to a have more of a 'Oh boy, a new adventure" spirit. I should put my rescued cat on the Biggest Loser diet too. She was 1 pound when she showed up on the doorstep, and now outweighs her 'brothers' because she goobles down her food and eats half of theirs too! They are nice and slim because of it, but she is....bulky, is a nice way to describe it.

I walked for an hour & did half an hour of toning. Off to do errands. Have a  great day everyone!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2011
    Ruth - you can be in charge of the Biggest Loser - Feline Edition!!!  Cool
  • goldenmom
    goldenmom Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2011

Mary - love that you took in your friend's animals. We'll all look forward to seeing how Fat Boy Mikey handles his new Biggest Loser regimen!  BTW - I'm actually watching your Nats on TV now; however, I'm cheering for the Marlins ;-) !

I skipped exercising today because I was tied up with darned medical tests / scans for most of the day.  Tomorrow... 

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited July 2011

Got in a 4 mile run and hour of weights at the gym.  If only I could behave myself on the eating front!  Ah well, another day....

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited July 2011

My 19 year old cat accepted my new roomie ...Angie has been feeding muds off an don for a year whenever I have gone away so no worries...she went to sleep on my pillow while Angie moved furniture in and out...good transition. Paddled in a skirt tonight ladies...did not have time to come home..figured if I walked in the door, I was not walking out so I ust drove to the lake and paddled anyhow....got a laugh or two...and I paddled hard! Good thing it was not a long skirt!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2011

hi Tarts!  Had to log off in a big ol' hurry last night due to thunderstorms.  The rain is very much appreciated, esp with how dry it seems to be everywhere else.

Got my exercise yesterday and today walking inside the Capitol including intervals on the stairs.  I don't usually do intervals when others are walking with me, so didn't really mind that I couldn't lure anyone to join me.  Maybe tomorrow...

Love the dog and cat stories.  Thanks Mary for having a good heart!  Ruth, your comment about your 'bulky' cat made me laugh because it reminded me of my friend's sheep refrigerator magnet that says, "ewe's not fat, ewe's just fluffy."  LOL!

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2011

Ok, walked about 10 minutes from the general surgeons office in the skywalk to the hospital for a chest xray and had to sit down halfway, unbelievable I am posting this as my daily exercise :(:(:( 

I don't get short of breath or anything, just drained and lightheaded...I have to stop or I feel like I'll pass out...low blood pressure for days and my counts are going down now!

I am getting stir crazy, need to exercise, making me nuts! 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2011

rabbit, how frustrating and scary!  Sitting down with head between knees helps me when I feel dizzy.  So does drinking a glass of water.  Maybe your body is just saying slow down.  Hope it gets better soon!

• rabbit
    edited July 2011

hi badger, before dx, I was a "go to the gym 3-4x a week" kind of girl. And I would walk when I could. It's so frustrating!! I had no choice but to go to those appts today but you are right, for some reason my body is struggling with the 2nd dose making me more drained than the first. I think it's the low bp that's doing most of it, that and the blood counts going down, it's like I can feel it all through my body after that first week. I haven't had to put my head between my legs yet, but close a few times, and I drink tons of water daily....just getting past this hump :)

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited July 2011

Just flying my tonight on my way to bed.  I had a yoga class tonight.  I young girl who just graduated high school and is getting ready to go to college.  She has been doing her training certificate and going for her level II this weekend.  She needs to practice because she is hoping to teach yoga at college so we all offered to let her practice on us.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

Rabbit, are you getting a Neulasta shot, and if not, could you start getting them?

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

Here is something I thought you'd all enjoy. It is an exert from Dr. Servan-Schreiber's Anticancer, A New Way of Life' book. I found it on another thread. (The good doctor just recently died, 20 years after a terminal diagnosis.) It is great advice for everyone!

FOOD RULES

1. Go retro: Your main course should be 80 percent vegetables, 20 percent animal protein, like it was in the old days. Opt for the opposite of the quarter pounder topped with a token leaf of iceberg lettuce and an anemic tomato slice. Meat should be used sparingly for taste, as when it used to be scarce, and should not be the focus of the meal.

2. Mix and match your vegetables: Vary the vegetables you eat from one meal to the next, or mix them together -- broccoli is an effective anticancer food, and is even more effective when combined with tomato sauce, onions or garlic. Get in the habit of adding onions, garlic or leeks to all your dishes as you cook.

3. Go organic: Choose organic foods whenever possible, but remember it's always better to eat broccoli that's been exposed to pesticide than to not eat broccoli at all (the same applies to any other anticancer vegetable).

4. Spice it up: Add turmeric (with black pepper) when cooking (delicious in salad dressings!). This yellow spice is the most powerful natural anti-inflammatory agent. Remember to add Mediterranean herbs to your food: thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary, marjoram, mint, etc. They don't just add flavor, they can also help reduce the growth of cancer cells.

5. Skip the potato: Potatoes raise blood sugar, which can feed inflammation and cancer growth. They also contain high levels of pesticide residue (to the point that most potato farmers I know don't eat their own grown potatoes).

6. Go fish: Eat fish two or three times a week - sardines, mackerel, and anchovies have less mercury and PCBs than bigger fish like tuna. Avoid swordfish and shark, which the FDA says pregnant women should not eat because they contain a high concentration of contaminants.

7. Remember not all eggs are created equal: Choose only omega-3 eggs, or don't eat the yolks. Hens are now fed on mostly corn and soybeans, and their eggs contain 20 times more pro-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids than cell-growth regulating omega-3s.

8. Change your oil: Use only olive and canola oil in cooking and salad dressings. Go through your kitchen cabinets and throw out your soybean, corn and sunflower oils. (And no, you can't give them to your neighbors or your relatives... They're much too rich in omega-6 fatty acids!)

9. Say "Brown is beautiful": Eat your grains whole and mixed (wheat with oats, barley, spelt, flax, etc.) and favor organic whole grains when possible since pesticides tend to accumulate on whole grains. Avoid refined, white flour (used in bagels, muffins, sandwich bread, buns, etc.) whenever possible, and eat white pasta only al dente.

10. Keep sweets down to fruits: Cut down on sugar by avoiding sweetened sodas and fruit juices, and skipping dessert or replacing it with fruit (especially stone fruits and berries) after most meals. Read the labels carefully, and steer clear of products that list any type of sugar (including brown sugar, corn syrup, etc.) in the first three ingredients. If you have an incorrigible sweet tooth, try a few squares of dark chocolate containing more than 70% cocoa.

11. Go green: Instead of coffee or black tea, drink three cups of green tea per day. Use decaffeinated green tea if it gets you too wired. Regular consumption of green tea has been linked to a significant reduction in the risk for developing cancer.

12. Make room for exceptions. What matters is what you do on a daily basis, not the occasional treat.

NON-FOOD RULES

1. Get physical: Make time to exercise, be it walking, dancing or running. Aim for 30 minutes of physical activity at least 5 days a week. This can be as easy as just walking part of the way to the office, or the grocery store. A dog is often a better walking partner than an exercise buddy. Choose an activity you enjoy; if you're having fun, you're more likely to stick with it.

2. Let the sun shine in: Try to get at least 20 minutes of daily sun exposure (torso, arms and legs) without sunscreen, preferably at noon in the summer (but take care to avoid sunburns!). This will boost your body's natural production of Vitamin D. As an alternative: discuss the option of taking a Vitamin D3 supplement with your doctor.

3. Banish bad chemicals: Avoid exposure to common household contaminants. You should air our your dry-cleaning for two hours before storing or wearing it; use organic cleaning products (or wear gloves); don't heat liquids or food in hard plastics; avoid cosmetics with parabens and phthalates; don't use chemical pesticides in your house or garden; replace your scratched Teflon pans; filter your tap water (or used bottled water) if you live in a contaminated area; don't keep your cell phone close to you when it is turned on.

4. Reach out (and touch someone!): Reach out to at least two friends for support (logistical and emotional) during times of stress, even if it's through the internet. But if they're within arms reach, go ahead and hug them, often!

5. Remember to breathe: Learn a basic breathing relaxation technique to let out some steam whenever you start to feel stressed.

6. Get involved: Find out how you can best give something back to your local community, then give it.

7. Cultivate happiness like a garden: Make sure you do one thing you love for yourself on most days (it doesn't have to take long!).

• hbcheryl
    edited July 2011

Very interesting Ruth I have been seeing that book mentioned and think I might pick it up.  Did Spin class tonight but undid all the good with a lovely slice of carrot cake, now I feel bloated and bleahFrown.  Am heading out to Santa Barbara tomorrow for the weekend, see you all next week, have a great weekend everyone.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

Have fun, Cheryl!

• hbcheryl
    edited July 2011

Thanks Ruth, I'll be wearing my "tour guide" cap all weekend.

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2011

skipped yesterday, but today I did take the girls on the .6 mile walk, then the younger, Molly, and I went for another .6 mile walk... it was only 81 when we left today - a cool front!

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

Here is something interesting; I have gotten a couple spray-on tans this summer.I like the tan look without the skin damage. So last night I got one and I asked the technician what was in the spray. She shoed me the ingredients and they are all natural. The main ingredient is BEET JUICE and it has vitamins, aloe, caffeine(!) etc. She said when she was learning how to do this, the instructor commented that, although they don't recommend it, you could actually drink the spray and it wouldn't harm you!

• rabbit
    edited July 2011

Ruth thanks so much for that post, it's awesome! I think I will copy and paste it to the July chemo group I am in :) 

I don't get the shot and was told it's best not to take it unless we find it necessary. Each day I'm feeling a touch better, and everyone is telling me the FEC has that linger effect where each dose accumulates and you drag more and more, it's harder to get back in the swing of things. I just had dose 2 10 days ago...now I'm reaching nadir so will probably be a bit down another several days, will have to get a lot of exercise in next week! I have 2 more to go....