Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• marejo
    marejo Member Posts: 655
    edited August 2011

Walked 2 miles this morning....did 80 reps with 10 pound weights (arms) - walked 3 miles tonight after supper.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2011

Ruth, bet he has one part left over (which he will hide from peering eyes!).  Can't place a price on safety but can't tell our young'uns anything.

Would have been great to see you in MB and I also miss sitting on the terrace and watching the waves when I wasn't frolicking in them.  Double-Sigh.

Did 45 mins on the treadmill so turning in now.  Night friends.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,531
    edited August 2011

I just hope her car ever STARTS again!!!

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2011

thanks Sandee, good to know there are so many out there that went through and go through what I am. I've been slowly getting my energy back and feeling almost normal!  

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2011

Good morning everyone, welcome CorinneM1 and hey marejo!

Walked inside the Capitol yesterday as it was near 90 at noon.

Will probably do same today as forecast is the same, geez it's already 80 at 5:30 am.

We did not have A/C when I was growing up and as I remember we spent way more time outside than we do today.  Ate supper on a picnic table in a screened enclosure between the house and the garage that we called the breezeway.  Neighborhood was full of kids playing and running all over, it was safe to do so back then (40 years ago).  And we knew all of our neighbors because they were outside too!  Anyone ever sleep outside when the house was too hot?

It's my b-day so we'll go out for supper tonight.  Going to stop at a bakery on the way into work and pick up treats, it's the custom where I work.  Have a wonderful day Tarts!  {{hugs}}

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited August 2011

Happy birthday, badger!!! 

We used to sleep on a screened-in porch, and yes, we also spent way more time outside than kids do now.  Even with all the drawbacks of the 50's-60's, it was a great time to be a kid.

Patoo, welcome back from Myrtle; my mom was from SC so we spent time almost every summer at Edisto Island on the beach, just a hop, skip and a jump from Myrtle... lovely, lovely coast there.  Nothing better than walking the beach, or sitting in a rocker on the deck and watching the ocean.  So peaceful and healing.

Rabbit, you definitely aren't alone, chemo is such a roller coaster.  Take gentle care and as Sandee said, give yourself time to heal.

Ruth, can't wait to hear how the car turns out :)

TTFN, Tarts!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

Happy Birthday, Badger!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

P.S. the car is not looking good. It got too dark and they don't have the right tools. They had to PUSH IT out into the street last night (as it was parked behind my car which I need this morning)........the words 'I told you so' are crossing my mind...............

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2011

Happy Bday badger!!!!! 

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2011

Happy Birthday Badger. Julie hope you are doing better (((HUG))).

Oh Ruth too funny (for us) I can imagine you grrrrr'ing under your breath and don't they know the old saying "the cheap comes out expensive" hopefully he'll get the car fixed today. Carol we used to sleep out on to the back verandah and sometimes we'd go to the beach to sleep but the house I grew up in was made of sandstock brick so it was cool in the summer but freezing in the winter, and you're right about the times, when I think of all the things I used to do, heck one of our favourite play spots was to climb down into a canal, gee can you imagine all the germs and crap that we played in but hey it was fun. Sherry if you need to gain extra weight come out and live with me for a week or so, my visitors have discovered the Cheesecake Factory, now don't get me wrong I love the Cheesecake Factory but they've been 3 times in as many days, they are working their way through the menu, my neighbor has driven them out to Las Vegas for a couple of days so goodness know what kind of damage they're doing out there, at least I'm having a break from restaurant eating, they've been here just over a week and I've cooked at home twice the rest of the meals have been eaten out, now you see why I HAVE to exercise every day!!!! How is your friend doing Mary, I'll bet she is relieved that her babies are being taken care of. Go Fat Mikey Laughing . Welcome Corinne

Did a Spin class last night and went to a Body Combat class this morning. Got a one month membership at the fancy gym for $25.00 long story but hopefully they'll do something else when the month is up, anyways they have a 8am Combat class with another master instructor, there were only 2 of us in the class, I certainly am not a morning exercise person but I'm going to get my $25's worth!!!!!!

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited August 2011

Hi Wendy: I'm new to this thread also.  Trying to jog/run for an hour 5 days a week. I'm a former marathon runner and still getting out there, but a lot slower and can't do as many miles and have to pace myself; i.e. if I work in the yard I'm too tired to jog. If I jog hard for over a hour I am too tired to do housework---So this pacing myself is annoying, but  I'm grateful I can still get out there. I'm 75  by the way. 

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited August 2011

Hi Nature Girl!  Drawbacks of the 50's?. Those were the among the best days of my life. I was in my twenties then and had perfect health. But I'm sure there were problems, but you know hindsight is 20 20 so I've probably forgotten them.  The main thing I remember is always feeling positive ---that feeling has been lost pretty much----

• zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,617
    edited August 2011

Happy Birthday, Badger! Enjoy!!!

srbreastcancer....sounds like you are doing great for 75!!! I hope I can be that active in 25 years!! I'm sorry you aren't feeling "positive" as you say.  Hopefully this thread will give you some motivation and a smile.  Hugs to you. 

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

Hi Sr! Hire someone for the housework and do the jogging. Awesome that you are getting out there!

Poor Cheryl, being dragged from cheesecake to cheesecake!  Wink

Actually pretty nice today. I took a long walk and then went to the eye doctor where I ordered new frames. (pcoming is the highlight of my day, for sure....) The guy helping me handed me some frames and said, " Try these on, they would look good on you because you have such a PETITE FRAME." (Yes, he made the sale!!)

• ebann
    ebann Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2011

Hi everyone!

Ruth thanks for the PM. Update will this is my week off chemo. Yay! I have had 3 treatments already and doing good. Dr. Psenka (naturopath) has put me on ginger capsules for nausea and stomach upset. These have really helped. I highly recommend them if you are dealing with these issues. I am going to the gym on Monday's and Friday's. I ride the bike for 15 mins and then get in the pool and do my leg/hip exercises. Try to even out both sides. Then I go to the suana for 10 mins. Then when I get home put ice on my hip. I got to pt on Tuesday/Thursday. So I am working out 4 times a week. I hope I can be without the cane soon now that I am working out at the gym too. I feel good exercising and hope I can continue on this road and increase my bike time over time.

Happy Birthday Badger. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Hi all newcomers.  This is a great place to be. I do not post as often on here but I do read the post. Wonderful support here.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited August 2011

Happy Birthday Badger

Ebann glad you are able to work out these days even with chemo. 

I am headed to yoga class.  The heat here in Texas is a killer I have to stick with things indoors.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

Way to Go, Elizabeth!

• patoo
    edited August 2011

Happy Birthday Badger!

Ruth, keep us posted on the car and how it fares; do they give up and call an expert, etc.

Why is it so hard to get back to regular exercise after vacation.  I'm struggling to get moving but not going to beat myself up - it will come. 

Sr, welcome.   Do the jogging if you can because the endorphins should boost your mood.  Housework is extremely overrated! 

I'll try and force myself down to the treadmill in a bit.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

I can get back to exercise after a vacation, it's my bad eating habits that I find really difficult to reign in!

The car is still sitting outside. I asked DS (who is now in the chauffeur service) what the plans are: choices are to borrow or buy the right tools (which I bet you DS would be paying for) and keep tinkering or find a friend who may know what he/she is doing OR wait until girlfriend gets paid and THEN take it to a professional (I don't know if it is even drivable anymore, or if it will have to be towed). I am beginning to see why hampsters devour their young!

• patoo
    edited August 2011

A great giggle, giggle about devouring the young!!!!  How our DS can be roped in by these pretty young thangs.  But, they have to live and learn. 

• marejo
    marejo Member Posts: 655
    edited August 2011

Happy Birthday Badger...Hope it was extra special. 

Like Ruth....after vacation I, too, find it hard to get back to better eating.  I love food and sweets is my real downfall.  Always working on that.

Today I walked 3 miles after supper and watched my food intake pretty well.  Hoping to get 9 pounds off but struggling with sticking with it.  HELP.

Love and hugs to you all.

Mary Jo 

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited August 2011

Happy birthday Badger!!! Cheat today!

We are in the middle of a thunder and lightening storm..LOVE IT!!! but it may mean my computer shuts down very soon as well:(...did not go paddling tonight..hip is out, exhausted fro only a few hours of sleep and decided to play it smary...rest up, eat a good meal,snuggle my cat and do a bit of work....no shoulder or hip pain on the weekend and bamo..back to sitting on a hard chair at work using the cimputer all day and there you go...no email even on the weekend so....have to readjust things. Cannot do this pain every day.....goint to go to the gym tomorrow afternoon as I have it off and no cardio class this week!....if it is nice, may go to the beach and sit and read afterwards. ...

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited August 2011

ebann: So proud of you!

Ruth: your car saga is something else!

Badger: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Hello to all. No exercise tonight. Hot. Will try again tomorrow.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

Mary Jo, check out www.loseit.com it is a great, free site that helps you count the calories PLUS you get calories back from exercising! Also some of us post every week on the 'Wednesday Weigh In' thread (not our actual weight, just how much we lost....or gained).

• Spellgirl
    Spellgirl Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2011

I have been gone for a few weeks taking care of my mom, and it seems like a lot is happening here! Best to all. while I was gone, I got back into the habit of two mile and a half walks with my dog, and seeing some results with weight coming off again. Happy about that. BUT, so sorry that many seem to be dealing with weightier issues (if you will pardon the pun) of cancer recurrence. Praying for you.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2011

Elizabeth you are our true "Warrior Woman" you are simply amazing I am in awe of your tenacity. Ah Ruth too funny about your DS I'll bet there has been some eye rolling going on in your houseTongue out. Sr you go girl, I hope to be posting about my exercise when I'm 75. MaryJo also try Sparkpeople.com that's another good one. Sandee take care and rest up that hip. Patoo sounds like you had a lovely vacation with your family. Welcome back Spellgirl. Mary tonight Hannah and Chase are at Petco Park at the Dodgers game, made me think of you Laughing

Well tonight I may have reached my tipping point in the exercise department, after Spin last night and Combat this morning when the music started up in Step class tonight my legs simply turned to jelly, I honestly thought of packing up and walking out but I just did low impact and muddled through.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2011

'morning glories, just a fly-by to say thanks for the b-day wishes.  Had a good day and a nice supper with DH (had pan-fried bluegill and a lovely glass of riesling, with DQ ice cream cake at home for dessert mmmmm).  Three of us walked around the Capitol square yesterday at noon.

TTFN Tarts!  {{hugs}}

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2011

90 degrees when I got up - skipping the walks (lol) - maybe I will go to the mall at lunch.... we in Dallas are on our way to the most consecutive 100+ days since 42 in 1980 -- think we are at about 37 and the forecast for the foreseeable future remains the same.

Happy B-Day, Badger!  Eat something sinful for all of us!

Rabbit - feel your pain ...  after my second surgery to remove my tissue expander (one month post UMX), my PS still has me severly restricted from activity... I walk the block with my girls (dogs) and my husband challenges me that I am over-doing... walking around the block.. omgosh... it's like we've become infants.. ugh.  Hang in there, girl, and so will I.

Ruth - know what you mean about explaining anything to children under the age of 25 - they are unable to take in advice from parents at that age... my 22 daughter is beginning to hear - but it is slow... she called to ask us to tell the pound that we would take the dog that she wants b/c her apartement complex will not allow dogs that big... we keep tellling her NOT to get a dog of any type until she has a network of neighbors who can help with it (she lives 150 miles away from us) - when I told her no, she got all pissy at me.  She did call to apoligize the next day which is a good sign, but still plans on the dog.  Two years ago she got a cat at the pound and took it back to her dorm room, so of course at Thanksgiving that cat became ours... and what makes it worse is that my husband bonded with the cat and the cat ended up dying of a rare viral infection (Benny the cat was just 7 months old)... so the thought of our inheriting a big dog, well....

Elizabeth - live it up this week on your free week... {{{hugs}}}

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

DS volunteers at the Humane Society, and every week comes home with a list of animals we should adopt. Aa we already have three rescue cats, I say; "NO, graduate from college, get a job and house of your own and THEN adopt all the animals you want."

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2011

Ruth - LOL - my daughter volunteered at the animal shelter in junior and senior high, too!  my husband said that her sending us animals is my fault for letting her work there... hm.. maybe???