Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited July 2011

Ruth I am reading the book now but I love the recap you did I copied and pasted it and saved it to my computer for future reference.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited July 2011

Golden - no fair of your Marlins to kick my beloved Nats into the cellar again!  We were in 3rd for a few glorious weeks - oh well - we're used to looking up at everyone else in the division. What we all need to do in that division is get together and beat up on the Phillies!  Tongue out  Rabbit - hang in there.  During chemo, moving from one room in the house to another counts as exercise!!

Fat Boy Mikey Dog and I did another slow mile walk this morning.  He really is a good natured little boy to put up with all this.  I think he's enjoying sniffing at the trees to check out all the new "pee-mails" in the neighborhood.

At one point I felt someone watching me and looked over - there was a beautiful doe, not 20 feet away, watching us, with another doe slightly behind her. I love when they flop those big ears of theirs.

Other than that my exercise routine has gone to heck with getting the houseguests settled in.  I'm hoping to get a chance for a long workout this weekend.

Keep cool everyone!

• goldenmom
    goldenmom Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2011

Walked 4.5 hot miles this morning. Funny how so many of the songs on my workout playlist now seem to take on double meanings about dealing with and healing from cancer. One of my favorites - an old Peter, Paul & Mary song (yes, I know I'm dating myself!) written to protest apartheid - "No Easy Walk to Freedom" makes me imagine that I'm walking to my own freedom from cancer.

Nats - I like both teams going after the Phillies. We've had a terrible season and are just now close to .500. Love that Jack McKeon is back! 

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2011

thanks Natsfan, I'm starting to accept that general housecleaning and a 10 min walk counts! LOL

I am getting a touch more energy today, it seems to build a tiny bit each day (day  10 of 2nd FEC) and now I'm at nadir so....avoiding people, no crowds etc. and needless to say it's like 100 degrees every day here in Kentucky, can't even take a walk around the block!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,531
    edited July 2011

A nice day here. I walked and did a little toning. Went and bought some cat toys and will make a point of encouraging 'active playtime' for my fat cat. Somebody will be getting more exercise, but it might not be her!!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2011

nice here too, upper 80's this afternoon but OK in the shade.  Walked to an independent music store and bought a few CDs at lunch.  Listening to Tim O'Brien tonight.  I like him in a bluegrass band called Hot Rize and was pleased to find one of his solo albums today.  Nice lunchtime walk, about a mile from my office, down State Street (pedestrian mall).  And, on my lunch break I can't shop too long so won't spend too much!

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited July 2011

Mary: glad you're taking on Fat Boy Mikey Dog and turning him into Normal Boy Mikey Dog

Rabbit: continue to take it easy. You may want to reconsider the Neulasta shot. I'm thankful I took it (had 7 of them). Even with it, after my 4th AC tx my white blood cell count bottomed out and I was hospitalized for 3 days and given blood transfusions. I can't imagine what would have happened to me without the shot. Wonder why you were told it's best not to take it. Take care!

Ruth: thank-you for sharing Dr. Servan-Schreiber's advice for us. Wonderful words to live by. Even if your cat doesn't loss any weight, the 2 of you will have fun playing together!

Badger: Don't know who Tim O'Brian is but enjoy your new CD!

Wish the weather was cooler here like Ruth and Badger are having. It was 99 degrees. I exercised with my Leslie Sansone CD. My dd and her bff did it with me and we had a blast.

• badger
    edited July 2011

Wonderland, remember this next winter when we're up to our knees in snow LOL!

In case you're interested in Tim O'Brien, here's his website: http://timobrien.net/

good night!

• rabbit
    edited July 2011

hi wonderland, I'm going to ask the onco when I go for my next treatment why he feels it's best not to take it. If I end up on antibiotics again this time around I will push for it. 

I actually get to post some real stuff now:

late this morning I plopped my butt down in front of the tv and did about 20 crunches, 5 planks for maybe 30 seconds each and a few push ups....and I did streches that felt SOOO good. I am going to shoot for this the next few days to start gaining some strenght!

Love to you all!  

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

I did Neulasta each time....in fact, when I was getting my last chemo, the onc. said I wouldn't need one since I would be done; when I told the nurse this, she said, "That is ridiculous, why would you want to get sick now?" and wrote up the order anyway!

Hot and steamy here. I did my hard 45 minute 'Get Chisl'd FIRM DVD and am calling it good for the day.

Have a great Saturday!

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2011

couple laps around the block - one with the girls and one on my own. 

• badger
    edited July 2011

It's just past noon here so g'day ladies. 

Got out this morning and walked for 90 minutes while it was still cool, now it's 85 and sticky.

Glad I got most of my errands done, just one left but it's no chore - a trip to the library.  Cool

Happy Saturday everyone!  {{hugs}} to all

• shevawn
    shevawn Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2011

I took my son on a 7-mile canoe trip on the Green River in the Mammoth Cave area = 3.5 hrs! :)

• badger
    edited July 2011

shevawn, that sounds like fun!

It's beautiful here, gonna be 90 later but 75 right now with a blue sky and a light breeze, and hallelujah the bugs seem to have gone elsewhere.  Got out for a walk at 7 and didn't come back until 9.  Now I need a shower.

Have a good day Tarts!

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2011

Shevawn - sounds heavenly ... took the girls around a new block (oh boy!) and then went again myself - my husband worried that I was over doing it... at 51 I need permission to walk around the block!  LOL... when the heck did that happen??  It was only 83 at 7am when we went but forecast is for 104... to quote the wicked witch.. "I'm melting...."

• rabbit
    edited July 2011

shevawn, I live in Shelbyville part time and Jtown the other part :) Are you ever in this area? I don't get to Lexington much, but at times, we should keep in touch...PM me if you are around, would love to meet you! 

• ruthbru
    edited July 2011

Walked and did pilates. A canoe trip sounds very fun!

• rabbit
    edited July 2011

I did another 15 minute session or so of planks, crunches, stretching...then a nice warm bath! 

• julie75
    julie75 Member Posts: 295
    edited August 2011

Hello, Everyone:

Thanks to all of you for the well wishes.  It was an interesting day.  PS looked at my left breast, and decided it was too low.  Also, it had "wrinkles" on the right side.  So, he proposed moving it back up, and I agreed.  So, yet another surgery to recover from, and I suspect no heavy-duty exercising for the next few weeks or so.  I'll find out tomorrow.  Am recovering slowly; I forgot how much surgery takes out of your system.  Quite a work in progress, aren't we at times?????  

I'll catch up on the individual threads later; the pet stories look funny.

HUGS to Everyone.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited August 2011

Well I have been letting this heat get the best of me.  Anything outside I have not done at all.  So I only have been doing yoga twice a week.  With the less activity I have gained three pounds so maybe I found the secret to me gaining weight. haha  Vhshea makes me think I need to get up in the mornings and do a walk while it is somewhat not hot.  It is suppose to be 105 tomorrow and 106 on Tuesday.  I don't know how much more heat I can handle.

Julie glad you are recouperating take it easy and let your body heal

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

Julie, glad the surgery is behind you. There is no doubt that any surgery is hard on the body, and there is no such thing as 'minor' surgery when it's you on the table!

Sherry, we are suppose to be really hot and stormy again tomorrow too. This is getting ridiculous! I wonder how people stood it before the invention of air conditioning (or even fans)?

Exercise safely! Ruth

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited August 2011

Julie, good to hear from you.  I find the anesthetic is really hard on my body and seems to be the hardest thing to recover from -- all your systems are slowed way down for surgery, and of course there's the surgical trauma to your body, and it seems everything just takes time to get back up to speed.  Take gentle care!

badger, I love Tim O'Brien!

We're into our third week of 90's temps, it is getting old. I didn't get nearly as much unpacking/organizing done this weekend as I'd planned, but I pledged to start official exercise again today so I'll walk with Leslie, most likely. 

I had a filling (a big honking one) fall out this morning on my way to work, I'm trying not to freak, I have a bad thing with tooth issues.  Seeing the dentist after work.  Aak. 

Stay hydrated and cool, everyone!

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited August 2011

New to this thread, but plan on posting to keep me motivated.  I am an early riser and I like working out at home with On Demand/Exercise TV programs via cable.

Friday morning:  Yoga 20 min

Saturday:  outdoors most of the day with family, walking mostly at a Ren Faire for 9 hrs.

Sunday: Hip Hop Hula Hoop!  (Seriously!!!).  Loved this.  On AT&T uverse exercise TV.  15 min.  Stated that 10 min of hula hoop=running an 8 min mile.

Monday:  Pilates 25 min

Rest of the week:

Plan on a Zumba, belly dancing, yoga and more hula hooping!

My goal is to do something every day btw 20-30 min.

I am thin, but need to build cardio.  I hate running, but will have to start doing this soon.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2011

Of course I didn't get a good long workout in this weekend, but I did do a few hours of yardwork, and according to loseit.com, I can get credit for that.  Went to the Nats game yesterday - hot as heck, but a good game because they actually won!  Laughing

Got up at 5:30am to jog to try to beat the heat - ran into lots of other joggers all trying to beat the heat as well. I never knew my neighborhood had so many joggers!  Did 2 miles, then did as a cool down did my now-standard slow mile with Mikey.  By that time I was so hot and sweaty I jumped into the pool, and ended up doing my Lebeds in the pool.  Swimming is good for LE (the resistance mimics lymphatic flow and stimulates it), so I figured doing the Lebeds would be good there too.  The pool water was 84 - almost too warm to be refreshing, but it still felt good.

Corrinne - I got a wonderful 20 minutes Pilates workout from ExerciseTV - I still do it now and then - they have some really good stuff on there. Welcome!

• NatureGrrl
    edited August 2011

Hi again -- walked a mile with Leslie after taking my traumatized tooth to the dentist.  Yes, only a mile -- I'm wiped out from the anxiety.  What I wimp Tongue out.  Just can't get past that dental anxiety thing.  Temp filling with fingers crossed that the tooth can get a permanent filling in a few weeks.  Otherwise, root canal and crown.  Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$?

Corrine, welcome, this is the best thread on the boards!  I spent some of my formative years in Chicago (much of my childhood there), and I love it still.   I'll have to check out my On Demand for exercise stuff, I just got cable for the first time in (ahem) over 25 years (wow) and keep forgetting about all these options.

Ruth, we didn't have AC until I was in high school and I remember sitting in front of a big window fan on summer days to cool off :)  but pre-fan, yikes! that must've really been brutal. Also, I know I personally got heat exhaustion a lot growing up, heat stroke a time or two.  I love winter! :)

• NatureGrrl
    edited August 2011

PS  Hi, Mary!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2011

Hi all.  Got back from vacation Saturday but have not caught up on all the posts so will just report for last week I was in Myrtle Beach and so for 6 days walked and watched for the sunrise Sunday through Thursday (slept in Friday) with my sisters and brother.  Also exercised in the Atlantic everyday except Tuesday when it rained all day.  In the water doing aerobics and jogging for at least a total of 2 hours a day.  Ran 2 mornings on the beach but not very far and made it to the gym at the condo one day and worked on weights.  Now I'm back home and a slug again so going to push off this couch and get on the treadmill and watch Design Star.

Night my sculpted friends.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

Too bad we weren't at Myrtle Beach at the same time, Patoo. That would have been so fun!! Nothing beats walking on the beach and frolicking in the waves. Sigh.......

Welcome Corrine, looks like you have a good exercise plan in place.

It is so hot here that I can't even stand it! I stayed inside as much as possible. I walked on the treadmill for half an hour and did 45 minutes of toning.

DS, who knows nothing about cars, has his girlfriend's car all torn up in the driveway (she didn't want to spend the money to get a belt replaced by someone who knew what he was doing). Gallant or stupid? You be the judge! ARGH!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

Hey Mary, check out this thread on the Growing Our Friendships:

copy cat any Mary's wanna do a Mary thread

(My middle name is Mary, so I qualify Cool)

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited August 2011

Rabbit- I understand your frustration too...I felt the same way post surgery and then pre-heart attack...but step by step is key...low blood pressure can certainly knock the stuffing out of you...remember your body needs time to heal (something we all need to remember..myself included) and go gently with yourself hmm?

Ruth....good to have that information all in one place:)

Walked 2kms on Sunday and swam last night for about 45 minutes...albeit around a small swimming pool after too much wine...so does not really count...but have been drikning lots of H2O!