Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited August 2011

Just wishing safe wishes for all my eastern sisters. I have been walking the dog lately so some form of exercise is there.  I go back to PS this week and I will see what is next as to exercise. I am also visitng my new bff hemo-onc this week to see what new surprises there are. What will be will be.

Chaos has set in in my neck of the woods with Irene, so instead of panicking my buddies and I went to see The Help, go to diner for lunch, go home rest, leave again for dinner out. Pretty scary however. Everything is closed except diners.

Starting to cut everything I eat in half. Since I am not pigging out on junk foods, I know definately it is the lack of exercise and that good old Femara pill which must have  put a few lbs. on me. A little belly roll. I am seriously thinking liposuction, my dh looks at me like I am nuts.  I am 62 and I have no idea if I am too old.

Still getting used to new boobs (first revision) and I hope the last. Just want to get back to the gym.

Stay safe my friends, hugs to all. Wondering if we will lose electric later this eve or tomorrow early morning. TV has nothing on but warnings.

Again, hugs.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2011

Hi all.  Went for a walk this morning and again this afternoon.  Did a little, very little, housework also so that's exercise as well.  Well, Irene is just about here with high winds and lots of rain and supposed to get worse.  Reports now about tornados.  It's interesting but a little scary as well.  First the earthquake this week and now Irene.  We are just not used to these events being so close.  Stay safe friends.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited August 2011

Did Body Pump class last night and then went up to LA to meet up with my BFF from Tennessee who has been here at a conference all week so got to stay the night and hang out and chitty chat, she was staying at a beautiful resort called Terrenea on the bluff on the Palos Verdes Peninsula then came home today and did Body Combat class.

Praying that all of you in the path of Irene are safe.

• marejo
    marejo Member Posts: 655
    edited August 2011

Praying for all our east coast friends today........be safe......

Doing so much better, well, at least the last 2 days.  Feel like I'm reigning in my eating frenzy that has seemed to consume me the last month.

I have had lots of stress lately and stress always brings about the "carb" addiction for me.  I've had a root canal....so lots of tooth pain before hand.........found out it was infected......had to wait 2 weeks for them to finish the root canal.......had to take an antibiotic, which (as it always done) brought about a yeast/urinary tract infection......so more meds.........not tooth above the one I had the root canal is hurting.....throbbing.......thinking I need another one.  Today is Sunday.....so I pray it doesn't get too bad till I can call dentist tomorrow.  Not to mention.....hot flashes every hour on the hour throughout the night......those along with tooth pain, haven't given me a great nights sleep for a couple weeks. 

Tomorrow is my first staff meeting at school for the new school year.  Definitely need to attend that FIRST before I can concentrate on tooth.  Just praying my dentist can get me in after 10:00 a.m. and then dentist who does the root canals can get me in later in the day. 

So, life could be worse I know.  It isn't cancer, and that's always a good thing.....but this hasn't been pleasant...however, I'm keeping it all in perspective.  Undecided

Mary Jo

• patoo
    edited August 2011

Hi all.  Well Irene passed with no significant issues here except some flooding in my back yard from the rain.  They promise sun later so hopefully I can get out and walk but will hit the treadmill for some running/walking at some point today.

marejo, hope you feel better.  Can you get some ambesol, a topical, to relieve some of the pain until you get in to the dentist.  I find it has worked really well for me in the past.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited August 2011

hey all, got in another lovely walk this morning.  Hope everyone is all right.

Mary Jo, sorry you're in pain, another good product is the benzocaine dental stick, brand name Orajel maximum strength toothache swab.  Most pharmacies should carry them. 

Take care everyone and stay safe!  {{hugs}}

• patoo
    edited August 2011

Yes, I have those sticks as well.  Unfortunately both work very well and then I put off going to the dentist because the pain is gone.  But dental pain is one of the worse so go for it.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,531
    edited August 2011

marejo, hope you can get that tooth taken care of; at least with a tooth, once you do get attended to, it should feel better right away. If you want to, some of us check in with our weight loss (or gain) on a thread called "Wednesday Weigh In'. www.loseit.com is a good, free site where you can record what you eat, plus get calories back for exercise!

Denis Austin has a toning DVD I like called 'Body Makeover Mix'. 3 parts, each 15 minutes: upper body, lower body, and abs. Very easy to follow.

Did 30 minutes pilates, the lower body of the above DVD and went for a walk with DH after lunch.

Hope all you Irene ladies are starting to dry out. Have a great week! Ruth

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited August 2011

Hi all, yes, Irene has said good bye to us Jersey/New York people. Alot of rain, now some heavy winds. It is on its way up north now. My friends on the other side of my complex now have water front property, hopefully, by morning the river will go down and no damage will occur here.

Yes, cleaning is my exercise too. Did quite a bit of dog walking today. Had no junk food while being home all day.

Hugs to all,

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited August 2011

I was fortunate where I live in NC in that we only had gusty wind and clouds yesterday. Not even rain. Can't say the same for the eastern part of the state. Dd goes to college in the eastern part and they were right in the hurricane. The town had lots of flooding, trees down, and damage to property. She is fine - she and another friend spent the weekend with her friend's relatives in another town. The college is closed tomorrow and I don't know about Tuesday yet.

Patoo and Ronna: glad both of you are okay!

Mary Jo: sorry about your tooth. Hope you can get an appointment tomorrow.

Good evening to everyone.

Dh and I walked/ran at the park tonight. It was 86 degrees, low humidity, and a nice breeze blowing. Felt great!

Badger: when dh and I go to the park to exercise we don't do it together. He has his routine and I have mine. We start together and end together! We walk together when we walk the neighborhood, though.

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited August 2011
    I am home from camping. It was too hot for zumba in the field, but we walked 6 miles ( all flat rode) on Sat, and did two bike rides,.. I haven't rode a bike in years, . It was so fun, but my bottom is sore, and legs from peddling up hill. and this morning before pulling out, we did, a mini walk and bike ride. Good to be home. It is much cooler here. The hot flashes were intense up river Tongue out
  • ruthbru
    edited August 2011

yeh, you don't want to travel without a fan!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited August 2011

wonderland and V you crack me up with us hotties being from Texas.  That explains it all right either that or our hot flashes are just really heating everything up.  Have not been on the boards in a few days because I have had my family all here.  Been having lots of fun and eating, eating, eating.  I have gained weight with my family around.  Normally I would be upset about that but being I need to gain weight for my surgery I guess that is a good thing.  Had a photographer come yesterday and we took family pictures since it has been a long time since we have had everyone together at the same time.  One son and family leave tomorrow and the other leave Tuesday.  The one that lives an hour away was here yesterday.  I have done no exercise at all with the company unless you count all my time in the kitchen cooking and lifting pots.  maybe I can make that count in some way.  Those pots sure get heavy sometimes.

• hbcheryl
    edited August 2011

Went bowling this afternoon, I'm not much good at it but had fun, it was a friends birthday and it was her choice so if laughing is counted as an exercise got lots of it in, one of my friends had either strikes or gutter balls nothing in betweenSurprised.  Also did a Body Step class this morning.  It's back to summer here and it's hot hot hot.  Ronna, Patoo & Wonderland so good to hear that you made it through the storm.  Hope everyone has a fabulous week. 

• julie75
    julie75 Member Posts: 295
    edited August 2011

Hi, Everyone:

Wonderland:  Glad to hear you got through the hurricane okay.  I have been thinking of you and praying everyone on the East Coast is okay.

Mary and Ronna:  Boy, I bet that was quite a surprise, shaking, rattling and rolling.  Yikes!  Glad you are okay.

Sherry:  Good for you, gaining some weight; we'll be here to support you when you start losing it again.

Mary Jo:  Hope your dentist can get you in as well tomorrow.  Understand about stress bringing the carb intake up.  Had that myself this weekend.  Back on the diet tomorrow . . .

Hugs to Everyone Else.

I've had a bit of a bad week.  One of our friends from work had retired about one year ago; we had heard that he passed on and it was rumored that he had committed suicide.  Well, DH came home last Friday and confirmed it.  So sad.  More layoffs at work; my best friend is now worried that his application will be outsourced.  I guess it's one foot in front of the other . . . 

Anyway, don't mean to bring Everyone down; I just needed to vent a bit.

Julie

• marejo
    edited August 2011

Good Morning .....

First Staff meeting today.  Up on "work time" - 5:10 a.m. (beep beep beep).  It's been a great summer and I've enjoyed the time off.  Now back to a schedule, not to mention, a paycheck.  Cool  Serving breakfast and lunch to 4 year olds is truly a fun job and I enjoy it thoroughly. 

So......get this......last night I took a sleeping pill (RARELY take them) and I slept through the night....NO hot flashes.  Once I was up, I've had 2 already HOWEVER it felt so good to sleep.  Naturally, I wouldn't recomment sleeping pills (the addictive ones) to any of us but it sure felt good.

Me and dh don't sleep in the same room anymore.  He's a major snorer and he had an accident last year on his motorcycle that gave him a severe concussion.  Since that time he had sleeping problems (stayng asleep) ~ so as hard as it was for us to admit....we decided this would be for the best.  It really was.  We both sleep so much better now.  We are best friends and love each other completely....but sleeping together isn't something that was going well.  So, I'm sharing that to tell you why I had sleeping pills.  Last year we went on vacatio and had to sleep in he same room/bed I knew I'd never sleep.....so called my doc and asked for some sleeping pills for those times.  He agreed.  Last night was the first time I took one since that AZ trip in April.  With today being the first day back to work I didn't think I'd sleep well........so I took one.  The surprising part to me was NO HOT FLASHES.  I feel so good this morning.

AND, to make it all even better, I've lost 4 of those 5 pounds I gained.  It's going to be a great day everyone.  I pray!  Smile

Mary Jo

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2011

Back from the cabin - it's further west in Maryland so all we got was an inch of rain and a lot of wind.  Our house was fine - some branches and twigs down and the pool had about a million leaves blown into it, but all and all not much worse that a standard summer thunderstorm would leave.  Based on the lamppost timer, we lost power for about 8 hours, but it was back on by the time we ventured home from the cabin.  Hope all the rest of the East Coast ladies are safe. 

2 miles jogging today plus Lebeds. Mary Jo - congrats on losing 4 of the 5 pounds - that's excellent.  I use melatonin to help me sleep - maybe that could work for you.  I also used Benedryl to sleep during chemo - it knocks me out, and the onc said that it was fine to use as a sleeping aid and a lot safer that most other stuff he could give me.  I used to be a snorer till I lost some weight, and I always felt sorry for my dh.  Sherry - pot lifting definitely counts as exercise!  Cheryl - the bowling sounds like fun!  Julie - I'm sorry about your friend.  I've lost a friend to suicide, and there's just no explaining it.  Zumba - dh and I are thinking of pulling the bikes out of the garage and seeing how it goes.  Sounds like you had fun. 

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2011

Sorry ladies but this is a vent day for me.

How in the ### do we drag ourselves into the gym when every joint  in our feetand legs and shoulders are inflamed.This morning I got my husband out the door and went right back to bed.Thats how crappy I feel.Yell

• patoo
    edited August 2011

mumayan, next time, push your DH out the door to the gym and then just go for a short walk before you go back to bed.  Bet that will help as any movement helps with that crappy feeling.  Sorry you are down.  Actually venting exercises the brain cells so that counts (that's my story!)

HUGS.

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited August 2011

Hi ladies-  I am battling the bulge and have joined some of you on the Wednesday weigh in.  My exercising has come up a notch this summer.  Joined a health club and have done Zumba, spinning, belly dancing and Pilates.  All new to me and all a nice challenge.  My weight isn't so great but I know I have developed better muscle tone.

I have a question I am hoping someone here may be able to help me with.  I had a double mast with implants.  As time goes on I realize that my pectoral muscles must be getting stronger and the foobs now move when I flex my arms.  Other than being slightly weird and amusing does anyone know if that is OK.  Also are there any limits on how much weight you can lift or movements you cannot do to avoid implant problems or lymphedema problems.  And finally does anyone have cording in their arm that had lymph nodes removed.  I think I might be developing some from exercise. I just can't seem to find much info about these things.  Thanks ! 

• patoo
    edited August 2011

JFV, Wow, that's some exercise regimen you started - I'm impressed! 

Sorry can't help with the double mast/implant questions but I would recommend you browse and ask on the other threads - 'Breast Reconstruction', 'Lymphedema' and I saw Farrah posted on the 'Fitness and Getting Back into shape' thread a question similar to yours regarding weight lifting and implants.

Good luck and don't worry about the weight as if you keep up the exercise and good eating habits it will come off and tone up.  Good for you!

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited August 2011

The DVDs are a good idea.  But before you commit to DVDs, a cheaper alternative is to try out ExerciseTV on cable.  I go to On Demand, scroll down to health and fitness and ExerciseTV is there.  From there I have 80+ workout options to select from.  Ranging from 10 min to 45 min, includes pilates, yoga, belly dancing, cardio etc.  No Denise Austin workouts, but they are great in the morning. 

One thing that they are missing is Zumba.  I would love to try out Zumba at home!  If it doesn't show up soon, this will be my first DVD purchase.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

marejo, I am a bad girl and take a light sleeping pill almost all the time. Otherwises I am up and down, covers are on and off, all night long. I find I need a little push to keep me under and unaware of whatever hot flashes might be going on.  I think getting sleep is a majorly important thing for our health and welfare (that is my story and I'm sticking to it!).

Julie, so sorry about your friend. Already this fall, a senior in a town about 30 miles away from here (so kids know him from sports etc) has committed suicide. Your heart just breaks for them and especially for their families.

mum, would water exercises work better for you?

I am still at work and have a meeting at 5:30, so who knows when I'll get home. No rest for the wicked!

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited August 2011

JFV, can't help with the implant issue, but wanted to say that where lymphedema is concerned, weight lifting is a good thing AS LONG AS you work up gradually. VERY gradually. No pain (pain draws lymph fluid to the area, and you don't want to overdo that). And pay attention to what your body is telling you. If your arm starts to feel heavy, achy, tingly, stop at once and elevate it. Go back to the exercise the next day, stopping just a bit sooner and working up slower. Staying really well hydrated will help a lot. For personalized lymphedema risk reduction tips, baseline arm measurements for future reference, and fitting for a compression sleeve and glove or gauntlet to use prophylactically, you might want a referral to a well-trained lymphedema therapist. Here's how to find one near you:
    http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Finding_a_Qualified_Lymphedema_Therapist.htm

And here's some information about cording (Axillary Web Syndrome, or AWS):
    http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Cording_and_Axillary_Web_Syndrome.htm

Hope that helps! Good for you for working so hard at getting in shape! Be well,
    Binney

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,854
    edited August 2011

Binney: I silently read your posts for my personal knowledge and think you are AWESOME! You are an excellent educator. Thank-you for your expert answer on this thread.

Sherry: Congratulations on your weight gain! Don't get to type that sentence often. Tongue out

Cheryl: I'm sure you burned alot of calories laughing with your friend!

Julie and Ruth: So sorry to read about the suicides. My dh uncle commited suicide after learning he had about a year to live when he was dx with lung cancer. The blaming and pain that went on afterwards was terrible.

Mary Jo: Congratulations on your weight loss and your good night sleep!

Mary: Glad your home and cabin are fine!

Mum: Sorry this is a crappy day for you and that you are in pain. May tomorrow be better for you.

JFV: Welcome and like Patoo said, that is an impressive exercise regimen!

Corinne: I don't have OnDemand, but your suggestion is great for those who do.

Good evening all!

Dh and I walked/ran at the park tonight. It was 79 degrees and humid. I had one more lap to do when it started raining so we called it quits. I'll add that lap next time I go.

This weekend we are going to niece's wedding at a NC beach - she's getting married right on the beach. I guess the reception building made it through Irene b/c nothing has been cancelled or postponed. Dd called to tell me her classes at college (eastern part of state) are cancelled again tomorrow.

• patoo
    edited August 2011

Took a nice walk in lieu of water aerobics tonight - did 7900 steps.  Maybe will march in place during Design Star tonight to get to/over 10,000.

Congrats all on continuing to move.  Sure helps with QOL.

Night all.

• marejo
    edited August 2011

Corinne....thanks for the great idea.  Yes, I did check out On Demand, and yes, we do have Exercise TV.  I will be giving this a try.  Thanks so much for sharing.

Mary Jo

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011

Didn't get home until 7:00 so walked on the treadmill for an hour so that I could multi-task: read a magazine, watch TV, and move all at the same time.

I just want to say that I think we are a GREAT group of women!!!!!!!!!!!

• MRDRN
    MRDRN Member Posts: 177
    edited August 2011

Hi Ladies!

It was the most beautiful day yet 24 hrs after Irene said goodbye...I totally forgot I did have Denise Austin DVD's...LOVE THEM and thanks for the reminder.  I have been walking and last two days got tons of exercise cutting up three overturned trees aND hauling them in the woods...ok my son helped some, but I was totally sore after.  I am doing more stretching and will check out the Loseit.com 

Hope everyone else did not suffer significantly with Irene.  I am off to a Florida trip Wed :)   Life is getting so much better for me, thank God!

Still hoping to LOOSE weight because I am not eating a lot but gaining ...hummm  will keep trying to track and see the problems, slow but sure.  

Hang in there ladies and keep on keeping on!

• hbcheryl
    edited August 2011

Julie so sorry about your colleague. When I was 17 one of my childhood friends committed suicide, he was from a strict catholic family, his father had disowned one brother who had a child and was not married and he was gay. We used to spend Saturday afternoons together playing records and dancing but I always think of his despair at making the decision to go into the garage and turn on the car, I was a kid at the time and didn't know what about what, I just wish I could have told him it would get better.

Binney you are a rock star you are so knowledgeable, thank you for all you do. Don't forget about your public library to look for exercise DVDs they usually have a good selection and in our Body Pump class last friday the instructor was talking and said it is better to use a light weight and learn the move correctly you will get more out of it. Tonight I did a spin class and it was absolutely amazing I love our monday spin instructor, tonight was 80s music night.