Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Went to "Winter Solstice" yoga tonight. It was great. A candlelit class, all about opening up to the light of both the season and our inner light. Lots of heart opening poses, the warrior series, and lots of vinyasa flows and sun salutations. It was really lovely. The teacher said at the end of class " Nothin was ever born without darkness; nothing will bloom without light, embrace the darkness to find the light in you". Aplty spoken and quite true to form for me. Felt so good to get moving again after the last several days off.

Hope all are well! Nancy HB, I am so happy for you. Going back to yoga was a major step for me in healing. When I could not muster my regular 90 minute yoga classes during chemo, I did dvd's and tried begginer level classes. Just keep moving!

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited December 2011
    misswim:  Thank you for sharing your solstice class with us!  Your instructor sounds wonderful; I'm going to "borrow" her words and keep them close to my heart for the next few months.  I will be keeping modifications in mind during chemo, but will not give it up.
  • misswim
    edited December 2011

Nancy- I agree, don't give it up! It is such a calming and centering thing in such a tumultuous time. I also found it helped alot with chemo associated aches and pains. Wishing you the best as your treatment begins!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited December 2011

artsee thanks for the tip I'll have to check out the recipe sounds great.

misswim the yoga class sounds wonderful.

Won't make yoga this week, leaving for my son's tomorrow.  Went to PT and had a hard work out and then came home and DH and I took the dog for a 3 mile walk.  Hopefully I'll get some walking in this weekend.

Wonderland good to hear from you.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011

MissSwim, I think we were in the same yoga class tonight!! Can it be? Unless there are clone classes! Are you in Raleigh NC? The best class ever! :)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,521
    edited December 2011

Wonderland, I don't know if you want to come to my house for cookies. Good Grief! I don't think I am suppose to be cooking this holiday season...I made a batch of refrigerator cookies tonight. First I found out that vanilla can go bad! I don't know if it's because it was real (not imitation) and had been sitting there too long, but when I went to pour, it looked thick and strange. Not wanting to go downtown for a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, I added almond flavoring instead....next I needed 4 teaspoons of milk, opened the fridge...no milk. I had just bought a big jug of milk on Saturday so just stared into the fridge hoping that it would magically appear....when it didn't I ended up knocking on a neighbors door and borrowing some.....(I had forgotten how much milk DS drinks!).

Other than that; did an old FIRM tape 'Calorie Killer' and DVD 'Hardcore Fusion'.

Grocery shopping on the schedule tomorrow...don't know if I'll attempt to bake anything else!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited December 2011

My daughter says she is buying the  pink method  kit for us to share.So now if we don't get to the gym we haveno excuse not to do a quick workout.I am curious about the diet part.Will let you know when we get it.

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited December 2011

Does it count that my mind is doing laps around my head?

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited December 2011
    balsie:  You and I are sharing the same track today, so yes, I say it counts as some sort of exercise.  Smile  Hugs to you.
  • NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2011

Ruth - years ago my dh was making French toast and realized we were out of vanilla - so with great male ingenuity, he used Amaretto liqueur instead.  It was wonderful!!  I think the cooking burns off most of the alcohol, but the flavor remains. We've used it ever since when making French toast - it's our "secret ingredient".

Mum - what's the Pink Method kit?

35 minutes Wii Fit workout today, plus 20 minutes Lebeds.  My co-workers are bringing in pizza from my favorite local pizza joint (Ledo's for any DC locals) for my early birthday celebration today, so with that in mind I brought my workout gear and plan to hit the treadmill after work!

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited December 2011

MissSwim, that sounds like a lovely yoga class.  I am going to do a 40 min run today.  Still trying to make it to 45 without stopping by Jan 1.  Almost there!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited December 2011

artsee I looked up the recipe and is looks good and easy.  Just some fat free cool whip is all it needs.

• Springtime
    edited December 2011

70 minute bike ride, and boy did we *book*. Totally soaked at the end, love that! Imagine all the toxins being sweat out! It hit 70 degrees here today!! Light drizzle at times, but that didn't stop us! :)  I love being on vacaiton. It is so much easier to exercise!

Corinne, I can't run - I don't know what it is, but I feel like I can't get enough air or something! Isn't that crazy??. 40 minutes is great!!! 

• CorinneM1
    edited December 2011

Springtime, that was exactly my problem too.  The run/walk method totally worked for me.  The couch to 5K has been linked to here, and it does help you get up to the cardio level you need in order to breath properly.  Its pretty amazing how quickly your body can adjust from not being able to run a block to being able to run 20 min in just a few weeks.

Also, getting a pace is important too.  You know the army drill "left, left, left, right, left"?  Do this the next time you try running you will see that its actually a pretty slow pace and I tell myself this when I feel as if I am getting winded and want to stop.  I often find that I am going too fast and slowing down helps me run longer.  Again, I am not a fast runner, and I don't know if I will ever be, and I am okay with that.  I would rather be able to go longer distances than increase my speed.

• misswim
    edited December 2011

45 minutes of the Firm cardio tonight. Went topless (hair that is) to the grocery store tonight. have about an inch of hair, so I still have the chemo look going on but there has to be a first time for everything!

• ruthbru
    edited December 2011

Robo....sending THE VOICES....move!

Congratulations on going 'topless', misswim. I still remember how self-conscious I was; but how many compliments I got on my really 'trendy' look from people who didn't know that it was not on purpose.

Treadmill for an hour & a 30 minute FIRM toning DVD.

I will have to stock up on Amaretto...solely for cooking purposes, of course Smile.

• misswim
    edited December 2011

Half an hour firm and sculpt on the stability ball. It was hard! Will do a 45 minute cardio session tonight. Having my port removed and a revision done next Thursday so I am going to get all the exercise I can in!

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited December 2011

Everyone's doing so great here, yay! Glad to hear we're all still taking time for ourselves during this busy holiday season. It really is so important!

Best of luck for your procedure next week, misswim. Is a revision a big deal surgery? I'm due to have one at the beginning of March to switch out my implant for a smaller one (bottoming out issues and still living with the Kinesio tape to keep the referred arm pain at bay) and I figured it would be similar to the TE exchange surgery. I am planning on running the More Magazine Half Marathon in NYC again this year, which is April 15, so I think the timing is right for me in terms of recovery. Fingers crossed! 

• mumito
    edited December 2011
    Will be Embarassed hitting the gym today and tomorrow.I just love my turkey dinner.
  • NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2011

Misswim - congrats on going topless!!!  When I got to that point, I put a little gel in my hair and spiked it for a real kick-ass look - it was fun.  Like Ruth, I got a lot of compliments.  My SIL went one better - she dyed it a bright cherry red at that stage.  Good luck with the revision and port removal.  I had my port removal done under a local and we went out to lunch afterwards to celebrate. I asked to keep my port so I could look it over and figure out how it worked.  It's actually a pretty impressive design in its simplicity. But I kept one of my drains too - I wanted to see how they worked as well.

30 minutes jogging on treadmill last night and 30 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  As Mum says, gotta exercise now before we have our big dinners!

Off to the cabin after work to celebrate my birthday tomorrow and Christmas the next day.  Four years ago I had my biopsy on my birthday - how's that for a rotten way to spend your birthday. Frown I plan on this one being just a tad more fun than that. Cool   I've asked dh to make some slow cook chili for my b-day dinner - we'll go out and do a good hike in the cold, then come back to the cabin and light a fire in the wood stove and enjoy some yummy chili.  Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate the Fesitval of Lights, and Merry Christmas to the Christmas people! 

• mumito
    edited December 2011

Happy Birthday Mary have a wonderful holiday weekend.

• mpeaches
    mpeaches Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2011

NatsFan- I kept my port too!  I was so glad (personally) that it was purple and not pink.  It IS really cool.

Heart Purrs,

Jenn

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited December 2011
    Happy Happy Birthday Mary, those flowers are beautiful Mum.  Missed the gym 2 days in a row, working till 9pm but rushed out last night and made it to my Combat class and gave it my all, must say my shoulders and arms were screaming mostly because yesterday I hauled 30,000 pieces of mail to the post office, glad that everyone is keeping up - Robo sending the voices your way Wink
  • ruthbru
    edited December 2011

Santa Claus and my company are coming to town today. Got in 30 minutes of pilates in between washing and drying sheets etc. SIL and I have a walking date for this afternoon & maybe will get some more walking it between the eating activities tomorrow....or maybe not.....

I'll be off the boards for the next few days, but want to wish you all a wonderful holiday (and birthday to Mary). What a tremendous thread of women we are Smile!!!! Much, much love to you all! Ruth

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited December 2011

Happy Birthday Mary!!

Happy Chanukah!!

Merry Christmas!! 

Happy everything to everyone!!! 

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited December 2011

Happy Holidays and Birthdays to all!

I have an answer to my decreasing energy levels...finally.  It is not Lyme.  It is a vitamin B12 deficiency.  I can only imagine that my low dietary levels (I am nearly vegetarian) are normally enough for me, but not in the face of healing nerve tissue after surgery.

So...I take this as excellent news...a little supplementation and animal-product-eating and I should be up and running once again!!!

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday!

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited December 2011

Did an hour of a pilates reformer intermediate class - performed the arm work but without resistance.  Getting used to pecs having a mind of their own, and engaging when least expected. 

Today it was 27 degrees and icy - it's difficult for me to get outside and walk/run.  I'm intrigued with the couch to 5k system, and desperately need to figure out how to get cardio going in winter.  

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Holidays Everybody!    

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2011

Hi, everyone, I am new to this thread, dear Ruthbru led me here. I love to ride bikes and walk, but I will certainly  enjoy reading all of your posts and getting new ideas. May you all have a very blessed Christmas and Happy Holidays and Chanukah.  Love, Kathy

• CorinneM1
    edited December 2011

Good job Robo.  :)  The voices have given me a good swift kick in the butt and gotten me to my feet and moving many a morning.

Today only did 15 min on the treadmill, and then my new personal trainer (husband) got me off of the treadmill and did some odd drills that I have never done before.  Leapfrogs, heismans, burpies, russian twists and a couple other things I don't know the name to.  Remember, he is a wrestling coach so this is stuff that he does 4x a week with his boys--easy for him--really hard for me. Good stuff, but feeling it in the knees right now.

Tomorrow I will be out for a run with the husband.  We are talking about doing a 5 mile in the morning.

• Springtime
    edited December 2011

50 minute cycle ride! Awesome weather, 63 degrees on Dec 23rd! Whoot! It can't last, so getting in as much as possible! 

Enjoy your time with family and friends!