Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Off to my last yoga class for a few weeks...... port removal and revision surgery on Thursday. I am going to savor every minute of it. The yoga, that is. Surgery needs to be over quick!

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited December 2011

35 minute run today.  Think I am going to try for a long run tomorrow...now that the vitamin b12 is building up and I am feeling stronger...

Have a good night all...

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited December 2011

CLC, I meant to say the other day, I'm so glad to hear you got that mystery solved as to why you were feeling so weak! Being a vegetarian myself, I'm not sure I would embrace reintroducing meat into my diet as readily as you have, though. Is it bothering you at all, ethically or otherwise? Either way, I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better and the running is going well for you!

Keeping you in my thoughts for an quick recovery from surgery, misswim! 

As for my exercise, I'm in taper for my marathon right now. Which means I run a lot less and worry a lot more for the remaining two weeks... 

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited December 2011

Good luck misswim with your surgery!  I did a Yoga class this morning....love it.  It is my favorite things to do.  

enjoy the rest of your day~

Balsie 

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2011

Thank you Sherry. So good to be here on this great thread. My son is getting married in May, so lots of motivation to eat right and exercise. Thank you all for the motivation!!!! Kathy

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited December 2011

Got the fluber on my body to wiggle for a little today.  15 minutes toning and a half hour step on the Wii.  I am eating like a crazy person and am hoping to calm that down soon.

• CLC
    edited December 2011

orangemat...I gave up meat for health reasons.  I believe that humans are naturally omnivores and it is normal and natural for us to eat meat.  However, I also knew that meat was driving up my cholesterol and weight as well as negatively impacting my lungs, so I became vegan.  Then, I started reintroducing animal products (never with fat in them) as I listened to my body and knew I needed some additional nutrients.  First, nonfat yogurt, then nonfat cottage cheese, then egg whites.  This, I suppose, is just the next step.  For ethical and health reasons, I have only fed my family and will only eat organic, grass-fed, free range local meat.  I know the cows this beef came from and know that they live really good lives.  The farmer's biggest concern now for her cows is that their last day before slaughter is a high stress day of travel and she is trying to arrange for a local slaughter truck  to come to the farm.  She clearly cares a lot about her cows and knows each by name.  They are with their own moms until weaning and continue together in the same herd with their family.  They have lots of room to graze.  So...ethically, I am at peace.  In fact, we bought a freezer solely so that we could get this beef (it has to be bought by at least 20 pound packs).

I am a little worried about my cholesterol and weight.  I will experiment slowly.  I do think though that dietary sources of vitamins are way better than supplements--both ethically and dietarily...so experiment, I will.

Thank you for the support in my feeling better.  I am.  In fact, the Raynaud's that suddenly appeared 5 or 6 weeks ago has all but disappeared and I am gradually rebuilding energy.  I am hopeful that I will be back to normal in a couple of weeks...

I hope that this next phase of marathon prep is not too worrisome and that you enjoy your time...When exactly is your run?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,521
    edited December 2011

Good luck, misswim. It will feel so good to get rid of that port!

I did 35 minute FIRM Hard Core Fusion, and then took a brisk hour long walk with my neighbor (by 'brisk' I mean it was freezing cold!).

Badger, sorry your mom isn't doing very well. Yes, I too believe that the exercise factor becoming increasing important to keep a good quality of life as one ages. I know there are studies about how even people in their 90s can increase muscle mass, have better balance, and become more alert mentally when they are put on a gentle exercise program. (So we should be awesome when we are little old ladies!!)

I just spend a couple hours putting pictures in albums. Why do I put it off until it becomes a big hassle instead of fun? Frown

• misswim
    edited December 2011

35 minutes total body time crunch. Some kickboxing tonight, and then......my self imposed surgery break!!!! Hoping I don't gain 10lbs with my restrictions!

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited December 2011

CLC, my marathon is January 8, in Disney World. I am signed up for a 5k in my town on New Year's Day, but I won't be racing it; can't risk any (further) injury by trying to push myself too hard. Actually, I think I'll run that course today, since I have 4 miles on my schedule.

I have one more PT session left as the calendar year ends. Here's to hoping I have the discipline to continue all the core stuff I've been doing there twice weekly. 

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2011

Nancy - you're doing just what I did in the weeks before chemo - exercised as much as I could to go into chemo in the best shape that I could.  It also helped keep down the stress level working out like a crazy woman. Tongue out

Orange - can't wait to hear how the marathon goes!!!  Badger - I'm sorry about your mom. Your MIL sounds like my MIL - she's 85, had a hip replaced a few years ago and was up walking the day after surgery. She diligently walks 30 minutes a day on her treadmill, and just hosted 50+ people for Christmas this year.  Banba - laughed at the mental image of your cat falling asleep in his bowl!  Moving to a horse farm sounds wonderful!   Misswim - hooray on port removal.  Are you going to keep it?  CLC - so glad you're feeling better - you must be rarin' to go after feeling so awful for so long.  That local beef farm sounds extremely humane.  I always thought PETA and other similar groups would have had more positive impact on animals' lives if they'd concentrated most of their message on urging humane treatment of farm animals during their lives, and less on trying to get people to give up animal products all together - most people simply aren't going to give up meat, but most people do want animals treated humanely.  Food animals have one very bad day in their lives - the day they're slaughtered.  But there's no reason that for the rest of their lives before that day they have to live in inhumane conditions.    

30 minutes jogging on the treadmill yesterday after work and 30 minutes elliptical this morning.  

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited December 2011

Orange mat can't wait to hear about the marathon.

I did my three mile walk last night.  Will do it again tonight and then tomorrow is yoga.  DH has started walking with me some.  I am trying not to be pushy about it, I know he could use the exercise.

• CLC
    edited December 2011

NatsFan...thanks for the well wishes...I am gearing up, for sure! 

Orangemat...I suspect you have the discipline to do anything you ever choose to do!  :)   (Even hold back to avoid injury--though that can be the toughest, no?).

ruthbru...I have put the pictures off so long I don't know if I will ever actually do it...sigh...

I am suddenly beginning to get the itch to swim again...too bad it is in the dead of winter.  I think it is time for me to mix up the exercise again...P90x?  Go back to a gym?  Just find a new place to run?  Join a class?  Hmmmm....  So many possiblities...

• JFV
    edited December 2011

Okay ladies I'm back in exercise kindergarten.  but, I'm back.  30 minutes Wii fit then 15 minutes light toning.  Hope to walk with hubby tonight.  

NancyHB thinking of you as you face chemo.  I was able to walk during chemo.  Not everyday and not far but I did go out and walk.

• ruthbru
    edited December 2011

I walked during chemo too...sometimes fast, sometimes really slow, and did lots of light toning. I don't know if it helps you get through it any better, but it will definitly help you bounce back faster once you are done.

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2011

I also walked through Chemo, slow walking but about 1/2 hour each day. I also did the stationary bike. It did help physically and mentally. Will also will be thinking of you as you go through Chemo, Nancy. I am sure you will do fine. Kathy

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited December 2011

Thank you, JFV and Kindergarten, for your votes of confidence!  I ran again this morning, just 2.54 mi (yoga was cancelled last night, sad to say), and I hope to run again on Friday morning.

So, I'd like some opinions, please:  Our local YMCA is doing a "Lazy Triathalon" that runs for one month (starts Jan. 16, a few days before my first chemo treatment is scheduled).  For the bronze level I would have to run 20 miles (easy-peasy), bike 50 miles (don't think it would be impossible), and swim 2 miles.  It's the 2-mile swim that scares me; I can swim, but my question is, should I try to swim during chemo?  I don't know what skin changes I may experience on AC, and what the chlorine will do.  And yes, I'll have a port, so I don't know if that matters, either.

I think I just wanated to challenge myself; if I can do this, I can do chemo, right?   Ideas, anyone?  Thank you!!

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited December 2011

Nancy, I love the idea of the lazy triatholon.  Could you try to get the swim part out of the way before chemo?  Tight I know, but could you?  Otherwise, I would still try to do the run and bike part--I think that it is a great challenge for anyone, let alone someone going through chemo!  You rock.

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited December 2011

5 miler today in the forest perserve.  Walked some of it, but ran most of it, I would say at least 85%.  And it was outside--it was NOT 40 degrees as the weatherman said.  It was 30. But did it, took a long steam shower when I got home and treated myself to some panang veggie curry for lunch/dinner.

Tomorrow will be another run.  Thinking about a 5 miler, but will have to see how the knees feel in the morning.

I am signing up for the Soldier Field 10 mile today.  It is over Memorial Day weekend, so I have 5 months to train.

• CLC
    edited December 2011

Ran 35 minutes, hiked (power-hiked?) 30 minutes, ab workout 15 minutes...

The combo of being off from work and getting my vitamin b12 really paid off today.

I was going to do plyometrics from p90x...but the dvd froze up...and it has been too long for me to really remember it too well, so it wasn't in the cards.

Hope you all are well!

• JFV
    edited December 2011

Nancy I agree with Corinne.  If you can do the swimming before chemo that would be great.  My skin was drier and itchier than normal during chemo as you say chlorine mught make it worse.  Also, pools tend to be germy and they may so no to public pools for awhile.  I did go into my inlaws pool during chemo.  But, that was just bobbing around for a half hour in a private pool with a shower right after.

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2011

I am just loving this exercise thread. thank you so much everyone. Ever since we have  moved to southern CA, we are taking every opportunity to walk or bike ride. We just came back from a long walk. We saw dolphins and a whale. I sure don't mean to rub it in, but it is easy to walk outside when the weather is warm and sunny, he,he,he!!!!!  Please come and visit, I will show you a good time. Really, to all of you, you have lifted my spirits and increased my desire to exercise more. To all of you who are exercising as you are going through Chemo, you are my heros!!!!!!!!! Kathy

• JFV
    edited December 2011

Kindergarten I am jealous.  My husband and I just hustled through our walk thanks to the cold. There is a nasty cold wind here on Long Island.  As Ruth says at least it makes us walk fast.

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2011

JFV, I love Long Island. I spent many summers there visiting my aunt and uncle!!! And I do miss the seasons and believe it or not, snow. You are wonderful to walk in the cold weather. I was such a wuss when we lived in the East. Good for you. Kathy

• ruthbru
    edited December 2011

It was a dark, dreary day here and now I see a 'Freezing Rain Advisory' flashing across the TV screen. I am glad I am still on vacation and don't have to go out unless I want to. Did 15 minutes on the treadmill & 45 minutes of toning.

Ah, California Dreaming.......I am packing my bags and will be on the next flight out!

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2011

Anytime Ruth, just give me an hour or so to clean, he,he!!!

• CLC
    edited December 2011

I must say...I have been fantasizing about the chance to get all this stuff off when I go out to run...and thinking about how nice it is to be in shorts and a tank top...  Southern Cal sounds good...but truth is, if we would just get some snow, I'd be happy to pull out the snowshoes, too...  But, the dolphins and whale...well, there is no topping that!!

• ruthbru
    edited December 2011
    We might need a road trip Cool!
  • Kindergarten
    edited December 2011

Would love to meet you all!!!!

• misswim
    edited December 2011

45 minutes of P90X Cardio. Sweating! Snafu in scheduling and my surgery is now Friday morning. A little aggravated at my PS's office but glad to be getting it done. And an extra day to work, which helps! I figure at least I can go to yoga tommorrow.