Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2012

Kim - St. Kitts is in the Caribbean, in the West Indies - south of St. Maarten.  Ruth - we're there for a whole week - can't wait. We vacationed there 10 years ago, and one of the things we tried to do was hike up and into the volcano.  (It's inactive, of course).  Well, I was 55 pounds heavier back then and pretty much out of shape, and it was a pretty stenous climb - at some points you had to climb up vines to get to the next level.  I finally had to stop and let the rest of the group continue on with guide - I just couldn't make it.  It was very humiliating. We've already asked the resort to arrange a guide for us this trip - I'm going to conquer that volcano this time!!

Mile walk with Mikey last night, and I did the full 45 minute DVD of Lebeds this morning.  Yoga tonight!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2012

Thank you ladies, for your great advice!!!!! I am adding weight training, getting off the white stuff.Yes, a pound of muscle definitely looks better than a pound of fat, he,he,!!! Thanks again and off I go to walk!!!!! Have a great day, Kathy

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited January 2012
    Had a brisk 30 minute walk with the dog - walked up and down several long sets of cobblestone steps to get to the recyle bins - who needs a StairMaster?  And will get in an hour of pilates on the reformer this afternoon.  Last night, I was bothered by my incredibly low technique skill of 0% on Zumba Wii - so before bed I tried a 4th song, and this time technique registered at 95%!   I figured out that the remote had been placed in the belt upside down!  Foot in mouth  NatsFan  You will master the volcano this time!  Dazdnfused   When I posted the picture, I laughed - the faces are impossible to see!   New pic hopefully coming soon.
  • kickitmom
    kickitmom Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2012

Daughter had knee surgery on Friday, so all I fit in this past weekend was some yoga.  I am feeling really tired right now, but am going to take mydog on a walk and maybe hit the gym later.  Thanks ladies, you inspired me!  I forgot to mention, my other daughter rolled her ankle this weekend too - so we had two hop-alongs in the house. 

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited January 2012

I'm off to walk the dogs!!  Have a great day everyone!

• Deb720
    Deb720 Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2012

Is it okay to do weight training while on chemo?  I feel like I am losing what little muscle I had, but worry about the stress to my body if I'm trying to build muscle while my body is just trying to keep up with blood cell production (WBC and RBC that are depleted during chemo).  I have been trying to walk as much as I can on the treadmill (walked 30 minutes this morning), but I've gained a few pounds while on chemo and don't want to gain anymore.  I am currently going through the reconstruction process after a bilateral mastectomy and my plastic surgeon doesn't want me lifting weights using my arms, but I figure I could at least try to work on my legs. 

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited January 2012

I Can(too!) Haz Triathlon progress as of last night/today:

Running/walking:  2.25/10.69 total (9.31 remaining)
    Biking:  5.4/17.05 total (32.95 remaining)
    Yoga:  2.5 (7.5 remaining)

I'm supposed to be done by February 12; not holding my breath *just yet*...

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited January 2012

30 minutes Pilates and a 30 minute walk out in our 60 degree Buffalo weather! this winter has been out of this world!

yesterday, 30 minutes cardio dance, 30 minutes myofascial stretch and conditioning on my new foam roller!  love it!

trying to put in at least an hour per day...

• Banba
    Banba Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2012

Hey all,

Started rads, #6 tomorrow. Put in a few hours on the horse, a few more hours on the yoga mat and a good number of walks in the snow. Feeling a little tired but I think I am just...tired of this journey. You are all an inspiration, can't wait to be able to sweat for real again!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2012

We are headed to IN, tomorrow, so glad the weather is going to be nice. We can walk there, no problem. Acutually, we would like to see some snow, miss it here in CA. Going for a long walk soon!! Have a great week, everyone!!!!!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,521
    edited January 2012

Have fun Kathy.

Deb, you can do what you want to during chemo, including weights, but do listen to your body......I did lower body a lot (which I previously hated and mostly skipped) and ended up going down a pants size without losing any weight....so it can be done.

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited January 2012

15 minute walk, 25 minutes strength training...

Have a wonderful evening all...

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited January 2012

Did the machines at the gym today including the weights. Then i sat in the hot sauna with a deep conditioner on my hair.I know we are not supposed to but it felt so darn good.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2012

Hi all.  Gym yesterday - wak/run on treadmill then upper body weights on machines.  Nothing today.  Planning on zumba class tomorrow evening. 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2012

Okay rollie pollie checking in.  Tomorrow starts week 6 of working out.  I added the eliptical machine for 30 min this past Monday so my schedule looks like this:

Mon.- 1 hour power flex + abs class, 30 min eliptical

Tues.- 1 hour zumba & 1 hour cardio kick boxing

Wed.- 1 hour power flex

Thurs.- 1 hours zumba & 1 hour cardio kick boxing

Fri.- co-ed soccer

with Sat. & Sun off right now

I am perplexed how I could be eating better and I have gained 10lbs in the complete 5 weeks.  Short from starving myself I am beginning to think something isn't right.  Is it bad that I am thinking of sending my oncologist an e-mail since he is a hematologist/oncologist.  Something isn't working right.  Not that I plan on stopping because I like the fact that I am moving again. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

45 minuts on the elliptical.

Ruth, I love that! "Well, you make it what you want to make it" (or something similar!) Attitude is such a key component.  

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2012

Jaimieh, is power flex weight training?  And how do you define "eating better"?  Maybe try loseit.com to track your eatng and exercising if you don't already. 

Night my sculpted friends.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012

45 minutes on the treadmill and 15 of abs.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2012

Hello,

first time on this thread! 

Wow, lots of active ladies :)  My onc said that exercise is just as good if not better than chemo, how's that for incentive?

I walk on trails around where I live. In the summer I mtn bike ride and dragon boat. I also like doing tap dancing class and Qi Gong, sorta like Tai Chi but not quite.  I do have a rowing machine but I only get on that thing when it's too rainy to do anything else.

I have to pick and choose a daily activity, like I can't hike and dragon boat all the same day. Tongue out

Do any of you feel a lot stronger since being dx? Just wonderin.

tuckertwo

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited February 2012

45 minutes in the pool.

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2012

jaimeh, are your clothes fitting looser? You may be building muscle. Make sure you're getting an adequate number of calories to fuel your body. Follow a set diet plan if you need to, because calories have a way of creeping up on you. Make sure you're eating breakfast!!

And that's a fabulous week of exercise you've got going! If you don't lose weight, you'll be strong and healthy!!

Be patient, eat smart. See a nutritionist if you need to!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2012

Thanks ladies.  I have been exchanging my carbs that I normally would eat for veggies without the butter and making other changes like that.  I guess I am just worried because my family has a history of thyroid problems. 

I should have measured before I started to see but my clothes are fitting the same.  It's just frustrating but when I work (I am a photographer) my back doesn't hurt nearly as much as it did.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012

Welcome to the new ladies. Great to see you here!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2012

Thanks ruthbru!

I'm still trying to figure out how much exercise is enough each week. I feel like I'm either not doing enough, or when I get going, I overdo it. Arrgghhh...

tuckertwo

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012

Years ago I heard Richard SImmons say you should get 4 hours of aerobics and 3 of toning a week. That's what I've tried to stick to.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2012
    Hello to all the newbies, glad to have you jump in with us.  Tonight I did my Body Step class and I have one question - why oh why doesn't exercise get any easierEmbarassed it was like it was my first time in the gym.  Mary hope your DH is doing better and how exciting to be off for fun in the sun and I know you will conquer that volcano.
  • zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited February 2012
    Lesley Sansone, is awesome. I have most of her dvds. Smile
  • heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2012

Thanks for the tip, ruthbru! Need to up my aerobic part. I knew something was missing. I had it the other way around.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2012

good morning ladies, and welcome Deb720 and tuckertwo.  It was 48 and sunny at noon yesterday so got out for a nice long walk at lunchtime.  Hope for a repeat today.

Heidi, thanks, I started with a goal of 500 miles, based on a song by The Proclaimers.  Initially, I didn't go very fast or very far but I went.  Bought a pedometer and kept track of mileage in my sig line to motivate myself.  Soon, I will reach my goal of 2,000 miles and will up the goal to 2,500.

Mary, I know you will conquer that volcano this time! 

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!

(edit for spelling  :-)

• SusanHG
    SusanHG Member Posts: 455
    edited February 2012

tuckertwo:  I feel 100 times better after diagnosis...feel like I've been giving a new lease on life.  I love that I can have communication with my body again.  The more I exercise, the better I feel.  Yes, my MO told me the same thing about exercise!!