Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited February 2012

So glad to hear all is OK with your new granddaughters, Sherry! Congrats!!

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited February 2012

Patoo!  I won't be that far ahead of you--if at all.  I can finish, but I am not fast at all.

Kim that is a great goal.  12K by next month?  Awesome.

Hubby and I did a 3mile yesterday, and I did a 30 min run this morning.  I really enjoy getting up at 5:30 and running to knock it out.  Thinking that I will do this again Friday morning.  I changed up my plans, and I was going to do a 5mile run on Sat, but doing a Zumba class with a friend followed by brunch instead.

I have a couple of goals for 2012:  1)do a half marathon this summer 2)do at least 1 5K race a month, starting in March, 3)get back into a bikini at the age of 40. I believe I can do 1 and 2.  3 is not looking so good these days.

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited February 2012

Natsfan congrats on the loss of 18 of your 22 chemo pounds!!  That is inspiring!!

Deb720, I hear ya, after chemo I was so damn tired!  Listen to your body and give it time; be kind to yourself. Fortunately I was able to take 2 weeks off from work after my last chemo and I slept for most of the time - it was just what I needed.

mumayan, thinking good thoughts for you today! Hoping for good, good results from your scan.

I was able to get in my daily dog walk and have begun adding back in the stairs component!  These are steep stairs that even the local firemen come and use as part of their exercise regime. I used to be able to do them twice at a jog, but now I'm just doing them once at a slow walk; but this is an improvement from when I would just walk to them and sit on the bench near them!!Smile

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2012

Dazzed and Confused Wrrote:

"This was about 4 weeks after rads.  She, being an excellent soul, sat me down and gave me some of the best advice I ever got about cancer-"You aren't the same Kim.  Your life has changed. Give yourself some room to change your expectations of yourself."

I just read this (above) and cried like a baby.  Thank you so much for sharing this!!  Tears are just streaming down my cheeks.

I did just fine, even though more tired, exercise-wise until 4 weeks after rads and then I hit a wall.

I have never been so weak and tired in my life. I am still exercising, but have had to trim it back. No one is there explaining it to me at the DR: they EXPECT us all to be fully over rads by a month!!!!!!  Quote my DR: "The majority of women say they are back at 80-100% by four week." I took THAT to my support group and the all laughed long and shook their heads!!

How long, I wonder, until I feel like *myself* again? And I'm like you, dazzed, in that I have stayed on top of my routine too, but there are whammies out here in cancerland that can break you down and humble you, and we will get it back -together sisters.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,521
    edited February 2012

Sherry, congratulations on the babies! What are their names?

truebff, your doctor is NUTS!  Everything I've read says that you should double the time you've been in treatment before you can expect to feel pretty 'normal', and I would say you should triple it. ABSOLUTELY you should be active, and doing so WILL help you bounce back better and faster....but it is still going to take time, and to tell people anything else just sets them up for discouragement.

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited February 2012

Oh my gosh...there are so many posts...I cannot possibly catch up on them all!! I will just do a quick post...35 minute run, 25 minute bike ride...  Going to do some relaxing now...:)

Have a good evening everyone!

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited February 2012

Ladies.. One hour walk Saturday and Sunday half hour walk today.  I just want to say that you are

all in my thoughts as you face your troubles and triumphs,  Be good to yourselves !

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Rejoined the gym today with my two girls from work who walking the Avon 2-day in Boston with me in may. Walked 3 miles on the treadmill and did some free weights. Have been dealing with a horrible cold and so I have been lazy this week. I think the gym will be a good change for me.

Sherry, congratulations!!!

Mum, hope all went well with your bone scan!

• orangemat
    edited February 2012

misswim, I'm doing the Avon Walk in NYC in October, just like last year. Have you done this walk before? I had issues last year, couldn't complete all the mileage the first day, but I hope to be OK for this time.

Nursing my sprained shoulder, so I postponed PT until tomorrow. Though I'm now thinking I might stop for a while altogether, and just pick it up again after my surgery in March. I do have to say, it was nice not having to hurry to get there this afternoon after my run. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

45 elliptical, with a cold! Blech! 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2012

hi ladies and welcome Mom2JJ.  Sherry, congrats on new grandbabies!

Just a short walk today, too swamped to take full lunch break.

Will wind down tonight with 20 mins of yoga.  'night all

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012

40 minutes on the treadmill and 30 of toning with Denise Austin.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2012

So today waas 45 min. of kick boxing, and an hour of Zumba.  I feel great.

Kim~ I hope you are right.  At this point the on going joke at the gym is if I gain anymore weight I am going on pig out and I will continue to work out...lol..  It won't happen but it's funny that they think it's my plan. 

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited February 2012

Truebff, I agree with Ruth your doctor is crazy! In fact his statement is directly counter to all you read about the effects of rads being cumulative and not really hitting until AFTER rads are over! You are right at the spot from your dx that I was when I got those loving words from my trainer. Hang in there, you will feel good again, but right now remember how hard you worked to get through this and really give yourself a break. Keep moving but gently for a bit and let your mind catch up with all that has happened. A big hug to you.

Mum hope your scans went well and thinking about you.

Springtime get well soon!

Off to read!

Kim

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2012

Congratulations Sherry two babies, how wonderful.  Truebff unless the doctor has gone through it himself he has no idea how you "should"  or "do" feel, treat yourself gently and day by day you will grow stonger.  Mum hope the scan went okay.

Tonight I did a fabulous RPM (spin) class, I had a bike that only had two settings, flat road or steep mountain but it made me work really hard and I was dripping in sweat, left the gym feeling amazing.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Esther, I have not done the walk before. It falls on my anniversary weekend- both my wedding and mastectomy anniversary. I felt it was an appropriate way to mark my milestones- one year from surgery and 15 years with my DH! I am nervous about the mileage but excited for the experience in itself :)

45 minutes of Sadie Nardini's Core Vinyasa Flow this morning. It's an advanced DVD my yoga instructor reccomended. What a heart pumping workout and I feel stretched and calm. BONUS!

Have a great day all!

• orangemat
    edited February 2012

misswim, it's an amazing experience, very empowering and emotional. Being primarily a runner, I wasn't sure how I'd like only being able to walk, but it really isn't about the walking itself, of course. Through a friend of a friend, I joined up with an existing walking team, a group of a dozen or so women I really had nothing in common with... some were survivors but most weren't... but that really didn't matter. What a wonderful thing that you'll be in the company of so many like-minded women (and men) on your auspicious anniversary! And congrats on your upcoming 15 years!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2012

Even though I should be doing things to get ready for our closing, I can' stay away from this great thread!!! Those of you exercising through chemo and radiation, you are truly amazing and do what feels good for you. You are all on the right track in fighting this crazy disease. You are all my inspiration, that is for sure. I do remember when my onc would give me advice, I would nod my head in agreement , but I pretty much did what I thought was best for me, as long as it wasn't harmful. On that note, I have been walking the old neighborhood and running up and down my stairs again, ten times each. The firemen told us at a meeting in CA, that partof their exercise regime is running up flights of stairs at the local hotel. They do it daily. Wow, they are in great shape, my hubby agrees, as I look at them admiringly, he,he!!!!! Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!!!! Blessings, Kathy

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2012

Mum, thinking of you for good results on bone scan!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2012

Dear Mum, thinking of you for great results on bone scan!!!!!

• mamaoftwo
    mamaoftwo Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2012

I love reading about everyone's activities.  You're all so inspiring:) Yesterday's workout for me was 3-1/2 mile run and then a little bit of strength training at the gym during my lunch hour.  Too busy today to fit anything in.  I'm getting ready for a few triathlons this summer, so I need to get my pudgy self back into shape. I will need to take a 2-3 week break after stage II of reconstruction at the end of this month but am going to train till then, and hopefully being fitter will mean quicker healing.  Enjoy Friday, everyone

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited February 2012

Ruth the girls names are Bella and Faryn.  We are going to see them next weekend and I can't wait.

Went to San Antonio to the Majestic Theater and saw Cats last night.  I was in awe of the production.  Had dinner before hand.  So the exercise I got was all the walking downtown to and from the theater and restaurant and back.  And of course all the clapping.  Went with my mom , a good friend and her mom.  We had a great girls night out with our mothers. I did pretty good on eating dinner, Salmon and broccoli, but then went to starbucks and blew it.

• Deb720
    Deb720 Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2012

I still don't have much energy to do much other than make dinner when I get home from work, but this morning I did all my arm stretches and a few leg exercises to try and get some energy back in my legs.  I'm doing Taxol right now and it seems to suck all the energy out of my legs.  Going up stairs is a chore.  It's very frustrating because I've always been active.  I'm going to try to get some walking in this weekend.  Maybe I can talk my daughters into going for a walk with me. 

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2012

Deb720, it helped me to do things outdoors. The extra oxygen seemed to pump some life into my limbs. I should actually try to do more things outdoors myself but it's just too cold now.

I did 20 minutes of Wii Zumba last night with my daughter. Today I did my 50 minute gym routine with the addition of another 2 minutes running for a total of 7 minutes running on the treadmill. Then it's Zumba again tonight with my daughter. She already did some jogging ang yoga on the Wii.

• Deb720
    Deb720 Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2012

Heidihill,

How is the Wii Zumba?  I am interested in trying that. Zumba for me in a public setting would not be good.  Too dangerous for those around me!  LOL  I'm not the most coordinated person out there.  But it might be fun to do it at home.  

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited February 2012

Kindergarten - I have a thing for firefighters too!!  One time we were traveling and went to an Oakland A's baseball game - and it was Firefighters' Day.  The stands were full of firefighters - wow!  My dh kept teasing me asking me the score of the game - he knew I was watching the firefighters a lot more than I was watching the game!  Cool  Sherry - what pretty names!!  Congrats - you'll have to post pictures after your visit! 

Went for a 2+ mile run last night - first time there was enough daylight left after work to do that - hooray!  30 minutes weights/resistance this morning plus 15 minutes Lebeds.  We leave for St. Kitt's tomorrow - can't wait.  

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited February 2012

Went to the food market today, in anticipation of the "major" snow storm expected this weekend. The market was crazy with shoppers, the parking lot was even crazier.  I had to laugh - I heard Sweet Home Alabama on the sound system while there - wonder if Hungarians really know this song??  I was singing along and loving it - got some funny looks.  I schlepped my 5 bags of groceries up to my house - 60 steps from garage to the kitchen - so I count shop 'n sculpt as part of my exercise today!

Also did Day 2 of Pilates Challenge, and 30 minutes of Zumba Wii.

heidihill    Does your daughter use a Wii belt too, for Zumba?  I would love for my daughter to join me, but we only have one belt.  

Deb720   I'm a newbie with Zumba Wii and I really like it.  I find some of the steps to be pretty advanced, but I try to keep moving through it and it works out fine.   

NatsFan  Hope that you have a fantastic trip!   

Sherryc  Congrats on baby twins Bella and Faryn - beautiful names!   

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2012

NatsFan, have a great trip! Enjoy the sun!

Deb720, Wii Zumba is fun, more relaxed and less loud than classes, We're doing beginner level at home though and the class I go too is more advanced with lots of young people. There is an introduction on the Wii which we haven't done yet. We got distracted by the other games on the Wii Fit Plus program. I can't believe I beat my husband and my daughter at skiing. They are so much better than me in real life. Tomorrow I'll try to do the introduction to Zumba before going to my Zumba class with friends. Joyh, I usually wear the belt and my daughter dances/moves along.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012

Checking quick before I go home from work. Walk on the beach for me, Mary!!!

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012
    15 minutes on the treadmill & the last workout on my new FIRM DVD, Cardio Sculpt Fushion. 51 minutes of 'flow body sculpting, dynamic yoga and pilates' (according to the back of the package). A nice, low-key workout.