Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited February 2012

Morning,

Closing in on my fourth week of focused workouts; getting ready for my run with the dog, yoga this afternoon.  

Go team!

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited February 2012

Cold, dreary can't get warm kind of day.  I have my purple wool "bankie" around my shoulders and I'm still cold.   Maybe a little Zumba is the ticket ......

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2012

My awesome massage therapist figured out my hip pain in a flash, and immediately began deep tissue work to relieve it, as well as point out a few exercises and stretches I should be adding into my routine.

She's a world class runner, and will have a gait analysis session with me next week, though just by seeing me walk, she knows what I do "wrong." All that pain was /is due to faulty mechanics in my stride.

But how do you change a half-century of that???

In the meantime, no running, just incline treadmill at 5% grade and 3.8 mph, no holding with hands. And all the Pilates I can do. I'm up with that!

• Mom2JJ
    Mom2JJ Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2012

All, I am just now reporting in after my first chemo last Thursday. No exercise chemo day. My daughters had a gymnastics competition on Friday, so my day consisted of Neulasta and watching gymnastics. (They were terrific!) On Saturday I walked 3 miles on the treadmill at level 5 and on Sunday I walked 5 miles on the treadmill at level 5. Monday was hard, but I made it to the gym and worked out on the elliptical for 40 minutes and a recumbent bike for 30 minutes. Elliptical was a big mistake because I used my arms. I have tissue expanders under my pecs and everything spasmed for two days. (My pecs were well developed from weight lifting and boy do they press on those tissue expanders). Exercise went by the way on Tuesday and Wednesday when I was so exhausted that it took everything I had just to work. (I have a desk job so no physical effort required.) Now I am starting to feel like myself again and will hit the treadmill/bikes tonight. This upper body restriction is so frustrating, however. I don't want my muscles to go to mush, but I can't activate my pecs at all. I hope to start back with my trainer next week -- we will have to see if we can really isolate the other muscles without engaging the pecs. It is possible to really isolate your biceps and triceps, but engaging some of your other upper body muscles seems to always involve some minor pec contribution -- not a good thing with tissue expanders. Knowing what I know now, I might have preferred no tissue expanders until my diep reconstruction (which is months away due to chemo and rads), but I don't even know if that would have been an option since I had skin sparing/nipple sparing bmx. I guess we can't let it all sag? Does anyone know?

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited February 2012

Mom2JJ, I let it "all sag" and it really was the smartest thing. No yoga (i.e. upper body weight-bearing work) for six months, and while my abs suffered, my pecs appreciated it. You need to develop a big-picture viewpoint on all this, as hard as it may seem. Hang in there, and hugs to you.

5.25 easy and relaxed miles running with my friend Lucy, where we talked about nothing and everything. It's a beautiful day out there today; hope it is the same for wherever all of you are in the world. Hugs to all!

• Dazdnfused
    edited February 2012

Hey girls-

I had been doing such a good job being Ms. Upbeat until today smacked me upside the head:

1) Brother who has been out of work since my dad died 3 years ago and is living with my aforementioned tough mother THOUGHT he got a job only to find out, for about the 80th time, no go...

2) Older son, drug, alcohol and gambling addict is back on the tear again, lying and stealing money and made up some big story and blah blah blah....

3) Went to lunch with Alzheimer afflicted friend and realized how quickly she is regressing and how out of touch I have been...

And husband and younger son are both still sick with cold/flu.  Hmmm.  I don't know why, but I'm still going to yoga.  Surprisingly, I am writing on the board this time, when I usually just drop off at this point and go back into hibernation.

Just putting it out there so I will stay on here and be "real"...ha!  Now there's a 70s term for you.

XO

Kim 

• orangemat
    edited February 2012

{{{Kim}}}

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited February 2012

Kim stay connected with this group of ladies and vent anytiime. I can't say I know what you feel like or how saddened you are but I can say I am sending positive wishes and prayers your way.  Oh my heart goes out to you...you have so much on your plate.  I wish I could take it all away.  Please stay connect it will help you.  

Grace & wisdom

Balsie 

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited February 2012

Kim- It is great that you are sticking around and yoga will be great for you too! Sending hugs your way!

I am running into a wall with exercise. I am so tired by the end of the school day that I am literally collapsing onto the couch. If my DH did not make and bring me some dinner I seriously would not be eating. I am too tired to do anything. Femara is kicking my butt with joint pain and  disrupted sleep. Then I feel guilty for not exercising but I guess I really have to remember that big-picture viewpoint and that this too shall pass. I only made it through one full week of work and this would have been my second week but I am staying home tomorrow to try and recoup some energy. You guys are all doing great and give me some hope that I will get there too...

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2012

50 minute walk this morning and 40 minutes Zumba for Wii tonight.

Feeling good.... and below my calorie limit for today (so far!).  Embarassed

(((Kim))) Keep coming back to keep yourself "grounded"! 

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited February 2012

Yeah for you, Kim!  It's easy to get up in the morning and do what you know to be the right thing when everything is going well.  The time to be truly proud of yourself for your hard work is when everything sucks...and you still get up and do what you know to be the right thing.  Give yourself a big pat on the back...and make sure you are getting the kudos you deserve...by coming right back here and getting them.

I haven't been posting my exercise because I have been having trouble with my internet...25 minutes on the arc trainer today...and I am giving myself a day off tomorrow...the first in two months...so I will sleep in and get a good workout in before picking the kids up from school! :)

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Big hugs, Kim. I know that yoga has been my savior for the bulk of my breast cancer experience, and all the associated other awful things that have happened in the last few years Keeps me very sane.

Had zero desire to do anything tonight, but dragged myself to yoga and I am so glad I did. I always feel so much better after a good flow, and the heat of the hot yoga room and humidifier really helped my neverending cold.....

my son is having a special weekend with his grandparents, starting tomorroe, hubby is skiing all weekend I am going to take the opportunity to rest, relax, and get a few good workouts in.

Night, all.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

Like Swim, I ad zero desire to do anything, but I read your posts and did 45 on the elliptical! I do feel better, Not "yoga better" but less sluggish and I finally warmed up!! I feel like I got the work gunk/stress out of me....

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2012

Hey, Kim!!! I certainly understand your situation , I am out of town now, and I have been negligent on my exercise routine. Don 't be too hard on yourself, you have been through a lot. This thread is great to keep us motivated!!!! Have a great weekend everyone!!!!! Kathy

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited February 2012

Kim and Mom2JJ Congratulations on exercising as you struggle you are an inspiration to me.  Vent all you want and be kind to yourselves.

I am doing very poorly as far as exercise and eating go.  I am using long days and bad luck as m excuse.  Kim I'm glad you are keeping it real.  My hubby has been looking for fulltime work since 2008.  Finally got a job 3 weeks ago.  They loved him he liked the work and worked for one week.  Civil Service took the job away from him.  Said his employer hired him in error.   Now he has no work.   My Father is in the hospital this week.  I am putting in 10 hour days out of the house between work and parents.  Come home shove food in my face and feel sorry for myself.  

But, I hear the voices of you ladies and I am thinking there is a better way to deal with this stress.  I am hoping that when I get home tomorrow I do something positive for myself like take a walk.  Why do I have time to waste on the computer but not time to exercise ?  Where did that thinking come from.  And why do I think poor eating choices and no exercise are rewards for a "bad day"? 

• Mom2JJ
    Mom2JJ Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2012

I hit the treadmill and the recumbent bike for a total of an hour -- I just have to watch my arms due to the BMX and TE.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,521
    edited February 2012

Kim, I am so glad you checked in here AND went to yoga.  I think when things are rotten, that is when you especially need the physical and emotional release of exercise. And of course, things are always a little easier when you can share them with friends (ie us!).

Mom2; good for you for keeping moving. It is a frustrating time, that is for sure.

Ginger, try to walk just a little tiny bit. The best thing to beat the joint pain as you adjust to an anti-hormonal is to keep moving through it. (But then make DH or a housekeeper or whomever do everything else of the housework, shopping, errands type of stuff). 

Everybody, who has exercised when they didn't feel like it; great job!

If you haven't....get going Tongue out.

I came upon a really old FIRM tape 'Cardio Sculpt'; I did it for something different. It still is hard as it employs a dreaded piece of equipment called 'The Fanny Lifter'.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2012

HI all.  Went upstairs last night to go to bed and decided to put on Leslie Sansone and did a 2-miler.  Felt good and exercising that late didn't even keep me awake - slept like a baby (ruth the wine helped!)

misswim, thanks for the hint to run while working out with Leslie Sansone tapes.  Will try that the next time.

Went to gym after work and did 30 mins walk/run on treadmill then some more lower body work on the machines.  Exercise really does make you feel better, it's getting up off my backside that's the hard part.

Night my sculpted friends

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,521
    edited February 2012

Glad my 'prescription' worked, patoo!

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2012
    Okay, paying for the Super Bowl and went on a 45 minute indoor jog tonight. Whew. (Listening to Rocky theme in my head.)
  • heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2012

You are all so inspiring!

Did 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday. Tried some new moves on the Kinesis machines in the gym at the lowest weights and am hurting today. I got out of my comfort zone without realizing It.

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited February 2012

Had a little surgery today.....sore but ok. This means no serious workouts for a while but I can still walk on the treadmill.  You ladies keep me inspired thats for sure.  

*Ginger88 what do you teach?  I teach 3rd and I know the kiddos can wear you out by the end of the day.  A co-worker and I do workouts after school and that is a nice time to get it done.  We started this routine before I found out about cancer and while I was going through treatments she would walk with me or do whatever I was up to, however she would not take no for an answer for which I am grateful!

It is 4:30 am and time for a pain pill~YEAH

Be Well my friends

Balsie 

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Ruth, my butt aches just thinking about th fanny lifter!!!! Torture device! As I head to do cardio sculpt blaster with the thing....

• Dazdnfused
    edited February 2012

Good morning-thanks all for the words of encouragement.  I'm up way too early but will get a head clearing run in and then gym at 9.  

Balsie I hope your pain bill kicked in and you are feeling MUCH better!  

Fanny lifter...hmmm...I am getting all kinds of visuals in my brain, mainly HBCheryl's Eduardo coming into the room and picking up hips in the middle of exercise, don't ask me why!

We are warriors, aren't we?  I like it!  Not only is the best thread on the BCO site, it's the best thread anywhere!  Yeah!  (I'm all fired up today.)

A very heartfelt x and o to all of you for your support... 

Kim 

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2012

Flying back to CA today , but in the meantime walking in Chicago and running up down the stairs at the hotel!!!!! Have a great day everyone!!!!! Kathy

• orangemat
    edited February 2012

Taking the day off from running today, but I will treat myself to a gentle yoga class later this morning. Tomorrow I'm running in a local 5k race... and the weather forecast is calling for snow! I think that'll be kinda cool, actually. I've never really run in the snow, let alone do a race while it's snowing. Good thing I'm not all that fast so I don't have to worry about my time being affected. Wink

Have a wonderful day, everyone! 

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited February 2012

Balsie- Hope your pain is under control!

I teach preschool in an inclusive special education program at the public school. It is a very physical job and I am on the go from the minute I hit the door to when I leave. I am lucky if I get a bathroom break! I have been having appointments everyday after school for LE therapy, accupuncture and yoga therapy and when I get home I have nothing left to give. I have had 4 surgeries in the last 8 months and my body is saying "no" loud and clear. I do get a lot of activity during the day and since I had been home for 10 weeks doing very little this has been a huge adjustment to get back into the swing of things. Femara side effects of bad sleep and joint pain are just the icing on the cake.I am sure it will get better soon; it is just frustrating...

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited February 2012

Three months out from surgery and getting back into the routine - was surprised that I was so wiped out after a day at school yesterday.   Had an early dinner and went to bed.   

Today I did an hour of Zumba Wii and day 7 of pilates challenge.   Feels good to come back strong after a day off.   

Hope everybody has a good weekend! 

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2012
    It's snowing again (ugh) and my feet are cold and I overdid it yesterday. I'm going to take a nice healing nap!  Smile
  • heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2012

Hoping for a speedy recovery, Balsie!

Did an hour in the gym including 1 mile on the treadmill. Then played a swordfight marathon on the Wii. Finally won one game!