Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited February 2012

Ran 7.6 miles with my GFs in the park this afternoon. Was great to just have the time to run at a comfortable pace and catch up.

• Mom2JJ
    Mom2JJ Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2012

3 miles on the treadmill at a brisk walk -- nothing too fantastic but just trying to keep everything going during chemo. This week should be my best week before chemo 2 on Feb 23rd, so I am plannng a lot of exercise time. Good night, everyone!

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited February 2012

I felt up to doing a walk today~ Felt good to get out of the house.  Got a walk in and a great visit with my walking partner.

Enjoy Ladies

Balsie 

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2012

I jogged quite a bit tonight becauseI wanted to eat sweets!!!!  It will off-set it a little I hope.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited February 2012
    I am  off to Miami to catch a cruise ship but I will use the gym on the ship every second day.Innocent
  • orangemat
    edited February 2012
    mumayan, I'm going to be on a cruise next week as well! But I plan on running on the ship's top deck, as I have on previous cruises, on the jogging track. Nothing like being outdoors for a run! Enjoy your cruise!
  • misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited February 2012

Help! I really pushed it in my yoga classes this weekend, and I woke up this morning with my cancer side (where 6 nodes were removed) hand swollen (especially knuckles)  and red. Have had no prior issues with lymphedema, and I don't know if I should call my doc, or take a few days off from exercise, and see how it is? I have no idea....

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2012

Hi, Misswim, I did not experience lymphedema until I was 7 years out, but since you are still in treatment and your knuckles are red and swollen, I would call the onc just to be on the safe side. I am sure that you just overdid it with yoga, but have it checked out. Thoughts and prayers are coming your way!!! Kathy

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2012

I'd call the doctor. In the meantime try to rest your arm on a pillow at night, miss swim.

Did 45 minutes in the gym and some balance exercises on the wii.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited February 2012

misswim   If the swelling continues, have it checked very soon.  Be aware that not all doctors are up on lymphedema issues though.   Kira and Binney, on the lymphedema threads  (GRRRR .... I hate LE) are experts on LE and very generous with their knowledge and support.   I had LE therapy with a physical therapist, and continue with manual lymphatic drainage technique on myself for mild LE and it is very helpful.  In the meantime, elevate, flex and extend wrist, avoid lots of salt, drink plenty of water and take it easy.  Let us know how you're doing.   

Did Day 9 of Pilates Challenge - yawn - 10 minutes of meditation - so repeated Day 8 - Booty Barre.   

Leaving for Paris on Saturday - 10 degrees warmer there - yahoo!   

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,521
    edited February 2012

Call, elevate and don't do any more arm stuff until it goes down.

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited February 2012

Got some of the best birthday gifts last night.  Got a amiphpod (sp?) fanny pack/runners pack, a water bottle system and a really cool Nike watch with a timer.  Need to crack this one open and set it up.  My brother (who purchased it for me) told me that it is an interval watch, timers, pacer etc in one.  It works with Nike shoes (which I don't have) or a chip.  Orangemat or other runners--do you know what this is? He gave it to me over dinner last night with 11 other people in a really loud restaurant so I didn't catch everything.

• orangemat
    edited February 2012

Corinne, I don't know much about the Nike system (Nike+ I suppose it is?), since I have a Garmin. What's the model or style or name of your watch? I can look it up and maybe help you a bit if I knew what I was looking for... oh, but when was your birthday?? Hope it was happy!

Misswim, so sorry to hear about your hand and arm issues! Yes, listen to the experts here, reach out to those mentioned from the other threads. I was in touch with Binney myself for a while, when I wasn't sure if what I had was normal post-op puffiness or truncal LE. Turns out it was the former, but I still worry every so often...

Basic yoga class today, where we did rudimentary backbends. The pinnacle pose was full wheel, with a two-person assist. Backbends are so good for you! When done properly and in accordance with a person's physical constraints, anyone and everyone can benefit.

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited February 2012

I will look up the details tonight on the watch.  I didn't bring it into work with me, and should have.

Birthday (aka Tatts Day) was last Tuesday, the 7th.  I got my nipple tatts on my birthday as well and have been celebrating on and off since the 3rd.  Dinner with friends, Zumba and breakfast with friends, dinner last night with my parents and family.  Its been a pretty good week. :)

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited February 2012

Wow - so much to catch up on!  Sounds like everyone is keeping active!

We had a fabulous time in St. Kitts - beautiful country, great snorkeling, wonderful food, and the locals are some of the nicest people I've ever met. 

And YES - I CONQUERED THE VOLCANO!!  What a climb it was!  Straight up through mud and roots and rocks - the trail would end at a wall of rocks and roots, and continue 6 feet above you - the only way to continue was to scramble up the roots and rocks to get to the higher level.  This happened through the whole climb.  Sometimes you only had to climb up a few feet, but sometimes it was 10, 15, or even more feet of straight vertical climbing to keep on the trail.    

There were about 10 of us climbing the volcano with the same guide, and I knew it was a challenging hike when the women started weighing which was tougher - the hike or childbirth!  As one woman said, "I gave birth to 4 kids without an epidural, but I want one now!!!"  Laughing 

I was the oldest one in the group (except for the guide who was my age) but kept up just fine.  A couple of people gave up before we got to the top and turned back, but not me.  I'd told my story of failing to finish 10 years ago, then going through b/c and then being determined to finish this time, so they knew how much it meant to me. I wasn't quite sure how to take it when a couple of the younger fellows kept calling me "Ma'am" and one of the younger women said, "You're such an inspiration.  I want to be just like you when I'm your age!"  I know they meant well, but it still made me feel like an old codger! 

Poor DH didn't make it - the day before we were snorkeling and he accidentally stepped on a spiny urchin.  He was unable to hike what with 30+ spines buried in his foot.  Frown

Here I am on top of Mt. Liamuiga looking into the crater - with our guide, Roy.  

Note the chemo curls - this was a rain forest - hot and humid - the curls went wild. (I had limp stick straight hair pre-chemo, so this is quite a change!) And note that I was a good girl and wore my LE compression sleeve and gauntlet - you can lead an active life even with LE!

Your Voices reached all the way down there, so I really tried to keep exercising.  I did lots of swimming and snorkeling, and I even did a 2 mile run a few mornings. Those runs were just a little different than my runs at home - I'm used to having squirrels, rabbits and the occasional deer scatter when I approach.  In St. Kitts, the animals that scattered in front of me were lizards, mongooses, and the occasional monkey!!  Cool Yes, they have wild green vervet monkeys on the island - there was a monkey family that came out a lot by the hotel - including three tiny cute monkey babies.  So adorable.

And we came home early Sunday morning to a driving snowstorm. Yuk.  I need to win the lottery so I can retire to St. Kitts!!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2012

NatsFan!!!!! Beautiful picture. So glad that you had a wonderful time. Your curls are beautiful. I wear a sleeve, too. It keeps the swelling away!!!! Congratulations on conquering the volcano!!!! Have a great evening!!!!!

• misswim
    edited February 2012

Thanks, ladies. I went and saw the NP at the onc's office. She gave me a new referral to PT (was hoping I was all done with it) and then she did the rudementary check of everything else, and I have an onc appt (check up) on Weds., so I am hoping it is better by then. The swelling subsided during the day today, and I went to yoga, with the NP's blessing. I was very easy on my wrists and arms and the stretching actually helped alot. It was an Anusura class, and there was alot of talk about alignment, which was so helpful to me.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2012

2 cruises, Paris, St Kitts - WOW!  I want to be each of you when I grow up.  Smile 

Nice pic NatsFan.  CorinneM1, I was browsing those watches on Amazon a few days ago.  Ended up ordering a different one, but not one that technologically advanced I don't think.  Take it easy misswim.

Did 60 min water aerobics after work which includes water weights for upper body.  A really good workout.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2012

Swim, I hope it's not LE, it's such a pain in the ass, or arm, hand, chest breast, wherever it errupts!

Tonight is a night of rest. Tomorrow going to rip it up on the elliptical. Warm weekend predicted! Hoping to cycle! 

• ruthbru
    edited February 2012

Mary, tremendous picture....and accomplishment; that is called being on top of the world, in more ways than one.

We had parent/teacher conferences tonight until 6:30 (tomorrow night too). Came home and did 45 minutes on the treadmill and will go back in a couple minutes and do some toning. On Friday DH and I are flying down to Arizona for a week of 'fun in the sun'.  I plan to get lots of walking in but better 'pre-tone' before I go!

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited February 2012
    Hi ladies. I have been so busy lately, I haven't opened up my lap top in a while. I took a weight training class at the gym this morning. It was brutal . I danced in my living room for about an hour tonight, going over some new routines, I will introduce to my zumba class tomorrow. Very sleepy now, and hungry, better brush my teeth and go to bed, before, I am tempted to eat something. Wink
  • ruthbru
    edited February 2012

45 minutes of toning with Denise Austin.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited February 2012

Mary love the pic and congrats on conquering the volcano!  Sorry your DH missed out, spiny sea urchin - ouch.  They've cooked those things on Food Network (Chopped and Iron Chef America) and I always wondered who was the first person hungry enough to crack one open and eat it.

Got to the indoor track and walked Sunday afternoon, and had yoga class last night.  Signed up for a Saturday morning Hatha yoga class that starts this week. 

Have fun on vacations, ladies!  ((hugs)) to all

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2012

NatsFan, the picture itself is inspiring! I wanna go there too!

45 minutes at the gym. Walked one mile to get there. Also did some hot yoga, that is, I heated up the bathroom by filling the tub with hot water and did some stretching and yoga in there.

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited February 2012

Good morning-

Mary, so happy for your accomplishment.  You look very happy in your picture; it says a million wonderful things about you!  Old Codger...no way!  You've conquered yet another obstacle, you do that and get YOUNG not old!

Missswim, yes, take it easy and don't re-inflame that cute arm/hand!  It's interesting that we are one of the threads where we have to tell our friends to "take it easy" instead of "get going!"  The warrior thread indeed.

Ruth thought of you yesterday.  It was raining and my poor trainer was having a colonoscopy, so I thought I would crack open a Firm DVD for a change.  It was a 52 ultimate boot camp cardio/weights/pylometrics.  I was thinking "well this probably won't be too difficult...YOWZA!"  It was a quick, sweaty, tough workout.  

Today a run-with the dog under the new leader control ;) and Valentine's Day prepping for a nice dinner-yoga, then the dinner itself.  Ladies, have a wonderful Valentine's Day-here's my virtual one to all of you...MMMWAHHH xoxoxoxox!

Kim 

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502
    edited February 2012

When you get a moment, you may want to peek at our new exercise section:

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/exercise/

Best,

Your Mods  

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited February 2012

NatsFan  Welcome back, and great photo!  You look so happy at the top of that volcano, with the guide!   Way to go!  

misswim  Hope that you're feeling better and have less swelling.  I do lymphatic drainage on myself several times a day - last night I was absentmindedly going through all of it when I noticed my husband looking at me.  He had never seen the tecnique before, and thought that I was nuts! If you get the chance, have an experienced LE therapist show you what the technique is for your situation.  Even if you are no longer swelling, you now know that you are prone to it, and manual lymphatic drainage really helps.   Lebed exercises are also helpful, and some of them are on youtube.  

Did an hour of full repertoire on the reformer.   Upper body strength is coming back, pecs are still performing circus acts.    

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited February 2012

NatsFan...you look fantastic!!!  Way to go!!

Misswim...I hope you are doing well...

Ruthbru...ugh...PT conferences two nights in a row???  I am so sorry...

Kim...I hope the leader is working for the pup...:)

I am finally feeling a little better and started moving again today.  Did 38 minutes on the arc trainer, 15 minutes on the bike and 7 minutes active recovery on the treadmill.  I started doing more cross-training to limit my running injuries, but seem to be sucked into the cross-training more than the running right now!!!

Happy Valentine's--one and all!

Claire

• misswim
    edited February 2012

Thanks ladies, I took the day off from exercise today and my arm is so much better. Will see the PT after the onc tomorrow.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2012

35 mins walk/run on treadmill this evening.  Heading over now to the new exercise thread put up by the mods.

Night my sculpted friends.