Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• Ihopeg
    Ihopeg Member Posts: 92
    edited March 2012

Hi everyone,

I started at the beginning of January. I am obese and wanted to start slow. I walked 15 minutes on the treadmill at 2.6 then I worked myself up to 30 minutes at 2.8 every day 7 days a week. I have been keeping track of what I eat and have started doing yoga on my son's Wii. I lost 11 lbs since January 5th. My question is, how fast and for how long should I walk on the treadmill and  how about yoga, how do I know if I am doing enough? I have a long way to go, but decided it was time to start being healthier.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited March 2012

Cheryl good luck I just got my bone scan results and the news was good.

I am sticking to the machines and weights those body combat classes are bit strange to me.I do like the step classes though.

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited March 2012

Congrats Cheryl and Mum!!  Excercise obviously becomes you both!! 

Heading out this morning for a walk, my kids have a bus delay today because of the FOG!!  So glad it is FRIDAY!!!

Welcome Greatlakes & ihopeg!  This really is an AWESOME thread to keep you motivated!

Wishing all a GREAT day! 

• fmakj
    edited March 2012

ihopeg - 11 pounds is GREAT!!  What you are doing seems to be working for you!  I find that I must add excercise in small increments or I would quit altogether!!  I try to mix up my excercise a bit after a while.  Right now I am concentrating on Carido (Walking, Zumba for Wii, WiiFit).  I am in the process of adding toning now (floor excercises, hand weights).  I am not a yoga person, and find it really difficult with the Wii board, so I stay with the excercising that I like and will keep at it!  I keep track of my eating and excercising with  http://www.loseit.com/ and post on the Wednesday weigh in thread (hope the link works)!

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/58/topic/758352?page=31#idx_908

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

hi ladies and welcome Ilene, steady and slow is the way to go.  At least at first, so you don't get hurt or discouraged.  11 pounds is a great accomplishment, congrats!

Two years ago I started a walking program with a walk around the block, and have gone 2,074 miles to-date.  That pedometer was the best five bucks I ever spent.  Started practicing yoga a year ago, so am no expert, but love it.  Go slow and be gentle - breathe - and remember this is not a competition.

Mary Louise posted this great link a month or two ago, it is such good motivation to move!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/01/11/toronto-viral-video-doctor-health.html

congrats cheryl & mum on good bone scans, you know we do weight-bearing exercise whenever we walk or run or dance etc so it's good for our bones as well as our hearts & minds.

I took off from work today as Madison is supposed to get snow and that would've made for a miserable commute.  Am thinking of all the ways I could exercise today, and that's due in large part to you ladies and this thread.  Have a great day and ((hugs)) to all

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2012

Had a wonderful morning at an Italian cooking class, and ate all that we made for lunch.  Super yummy - and I'm so full that I won't need much for dinner.    

ihopeg   Congrats on 11 lbs!   As far as how much to do, and for how long - I'm finding that my lymphedema, more than anything else right now, is what prevents me from doing more.  I'm not sure if you've had LE symptoms, but if you're starting to exercise, especially with upper body work, be aware of LE with the affected side, and work slowly.  

heidihill   That was a good video on jumpboard, the instructor was quite knowledgable. Jumpboard is really fun, and after 20 minutes of it I'm dripping with sweat.   I didn't realize that the leg press could be used for this too - would love to see it.  Is it a standard gym leg press machine that can be used?

So far, cook and sculpt was my activity today.  Will walk the dog after dinner tonight too.   

Wishing all a Good Weekend!    

• Ihopeg
    edited March 2012

Ladies, Thank you so much for the info. The video from the Dr in Toronto was amazing and helpful! As far as lymphadema, my rt side where I had the mastectomy is much weaker when I do the balance exercises, but my arm doesnt hurt. Should I be wearing my foob to exercise? For balance? Also, How much cool down time is needed after 30 min on treadmill? It seems like ittakes 30 min to recover...... Lol

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012

Dear Ilene!!! Congrats on your weight loss, that is so awesome!!!! I have lymphedema as well, my new sleeves just came in the mail today!!!! With the sleeves and the exercise, I have been keeping the swelling down in my left arm. I was told to wear my sleeve when I exercise!!! This thread is so wonderful and so helpful!!!! I really need to go down to the gym today!!!!! Have a great Friday!!!!!

• Banba
    Banba Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2012
    Enough excercise today. Did my own backbending yoga practice in the morning, walked 10 k's in the snowy forest and taught my first breast cancer rehab *yoga for life* class with two lovely ladies in the local fitness center this evening. AND only 2 more radiation boosts next week and then I am doooooooone! Tongue out
  • misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

40 Les Mills step. It is a toughie.

I decided I want to take up running again. It has been a good two years and I am setting a goal of a 5K the first weekend of June. I went and bought myself some obnoxious HOT PINK AND GREEN sneaks......so no escaping those staring at me!

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2012

I have been reading and hearing "the voices" and they keep getting louder! I have been having a hard time getting motivated to move through all the aches and pains from Femara and  the swelling from LE. On top of that, I found 2 lumps in my breast area and have been worried about them. I had an ultrasound today. They are lymphoceles which I guess are pockets of lymph fluid.No treatment needed.  I also got diagnosed with a frozen shoulder. Dr and PT say to get moving and only do it if it doesn't hurt. After a celebratory lunch at PF Changs from the gluten free menu we did some mall walking. I am slow but I will persevere! The voices are working...and I want a t-shirt too!

Ilene- you have motivated me to keep going; great work!

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2012
    Dear Ginger, My goodness you have alot on your plate right now. Keep on perservering and listen to this great voices on here!!! You will get through this, with flying colors. Went to the gym, 40 minutes, doing the elyptical and stationary bike, walked to grocery store and now we  are going to walk at the mall.  I am seeing the scale move!!! yes!!!!! Thanks everyone!!!!
  • patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Friday 2/24 - 8.3 miles walking Disney Epcot

Sat 2/25 - 7.44 miles included FINISHING my first 5K (3.1 miles)

Sun 2/26 - 5.86 miles waling Disney parks again

Basically took off last few days (ran a little on treadmill one evening)

Was wonderful meeting Corinne and her sister.  If I can figure out how I will upload a picture.

Intend to get t gym tomorrow to get back on track.  Already looking at more 5K's.

Skimmed most of your posts and I'm definitely in for the shirts.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2012
    Dear Ginger, My goodness you have alot on your plate right now. Keep on perservering and listen to this great voices on here!!! You will get through this, with flying colors. Went to the gym, 40 minutes, doing the elyptical and stationary bike, walked to grocery store and now we  are going to walk at the mall.  I am seeing the scale move!!! yes!!!!! Thanks everyone!!!!
  • badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

good job patoo!  Tonight I listened to The Voices and went to the indoor track after supper and walked for an hour.  That topped off a day that started with A.M. yoga and included a round of Shovel & Sculpt - it snowed most of the day - gorgeous!  'night all

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2012

Wow, Patoo, you are amazing!!!! Congrats to you and Corrine!!!! Badger, I remember how much work and exercise shoveling was. I am sure you are very sculpted, between walking, yoga and shoveling!!! Have a great night!!!!! Kathy

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited March 2012

Welcome llene!

Patoo, glad to read your post. I was afraid you had maybe been kidnapped by the Pirates of the Caribbean or something Wink. After our Minneapolis trip Cheryl posted directions on how to upload pictures. They must have been good as I was able to follow them (and I am really dumb about that kind of thing!), so if you go back far and enough and find her explanation, that should help.

Did 45 minutes of toning with Denise Austin and, for something different, dragged out an ancient Richard Simmons 'Disco Blast Off' tape.....'It's fun to go to the YMCA' .......

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited March 2012

Joy, here's the machine in my gym. I set the weight at 5 kilos, the minimum, for jumps.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1-CsMHTLxE

I tried the skiing jumps and it was fun. Your thighs burn after a while.

Today and yesterday, did 4 miles running and walking, cutting my time to 15 minutes a mile for the running part. My husband says I should get it down to 12. But I think I'll go for quantity next as opposed to quality. I'll shoot for a 2 mile run.

• misswim
    edited March 2012

90 minutes Ashtanga yoga this morning. DRAGGING the hubby to try a spin class at 1. We were going to start running today, but it is pouring cats and dogs.

My lower back is a bit tweaked from lifting the barbell in Bodypump, so I am going to skip that tomorrow and start the rotation calendar fresh on Monday!

Have a great weekend!

Ruth- have you seen the Geico commercials with Richard Simmons? Hysterical!

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2012

Booyah, I'm back! After a week of shuffling around with this stoopid head cold, I finally kicked it to the curb last night... I swear, gorging oneself with peanut butter filled pretzels IS the way to go! Woke up feeling fabtabulous this morning and just cranked out 6 excellent miles in the mud and rain at the county park. No voices necessary for me, since the only ones I ever do hear are the ones that keep telling me what I've done isn't enough... but not today! :)

Heading off to a pilates/wellness "retreat" at the home of one of my running GFs today. We're a core group of eight women (The More the Merrier!) and I'm so grateful to have found this motivating and supportive group of women, just a few weeks before my diagnosis last year this month. Maybe it's our voices that you're all hearing as well?  

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2012

Congrats, Esther, on your one year mark!!!! And with the way you exercise and take care of yourself, you will see many, many years of being NED.  Hope you get rid of the head cold once and for all!!!!!This thread has helped me so much, I am happy to say that I have lost weight and feel so much better since I have joined you wonderful ladies and your wonderful voices!!!

• fmakj
    edited March 2012

Cleaned the house this morning for a few hours and then went downstairs for an hour of Wii Fit Plus!  Ripped the sole of one of my running shoes yesterday doing Zumba, so decided to give it a rest for today!!  Starting my sit ups again today too! 

Hope everyone is safe and doing well today! 

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2012

fmakj, I asked my husband to get the Wii fit plus for me.  Turns out that he & my eight yr. old have gotten absolutely hooked on it.  Awesome to see my little daughter doing the running, etc.  More importantly, when my husband started three weeks ago, Wii calculated that he was "obese" and had the balance of someone much older.  Combining the Wii with walking a few nights a week outside, plus VERY moderate diet changes, he's now only "overweight" instead of obese :)   Of course, men lose weight so much more easily, as do people who are substantially overweight...  

but the point is that IT DOES WORK, even on the least fit member of our household, and if you're busy, you can just do it and not have to leave the house!  I've barely delved into all of the options, but lots of core work, choices of aerobics, strength training, etc.  So for people who aren't ready to run a few miles, or who are just getting back into exercise (30 minutes on the elliptical FEELS like running 5 miles for me), and I won't go to my dirty gym during chemo, but at least staying active is helping!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2012

Spin class for me this morning, had to make sure I got a bike so go to the gym at 7am for an 8.30am class and half the bikes were already taken, can you tell we love this instructorLaughing also did 30 minutes in the weight room.  MaryLouise you now have a perfect reason to go shoe shopping, Esther glad you're feeling better.  Patoo you rock girl hope you and the family had lots of fun at Disney.

Happy Birthday Ruth, hope you are having a great day and don't forget that calories don't count on birthdaysTongue out

• misswim
    edited March 2012

Hubby and I did an hour spin together today, oh I have missed it!Hadn't been back to class since pre-diagnosis, I had not even thought about that until the instructor said "Look at all you have been through in a year.......and you are right back on your bike, better than ever." I hadn't realized that I am a month away from my one year cancerversary. I am pretty proud of myself, for working so hard to get through and for keeping up my fitness. My hubby was right behind me in class and he had a few moments he said he choked back tears watching me whale away on the bike. It was a VERY special day for me.

Thank you all for your incredible friendship and encouragement. Big hugs to all!! xo

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited March 2012

Hugs back!

Did two FIRM DVDs; Cardio Dance Party and Scuplt-ilates (pilates with their twist). Also have been doing all the shoveling since Monday when something went 'ping' in DHs back while he was snowblowing. Ended up at the clinic with an x-ray, muscle relaxants & orders not to lift for a week.

Luckily calories don't count on your birthday. Out to lunch with DH, DS & his girlfriend. It's Mexican and a movie tonight!

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2012

I'm out with a head cold... not the way I wanted to spend the weekend after my last radiation treatment!  The husband is also down for the count.  The pups are sleeping in and loving it!  I'll be back at it soon.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited March 2012
    I got out of bed. Tongue out
  • patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

dunesleeper - funny!

30 mins walk/run on treadmill at gym then another 30 mins upper body weights.

After church tomorrow planning on running in pool at gym then a massage. 

• Ihopeg
    edited March 2012

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies!!

I am having trouble with the WII fit yoga as far as balance goes too. I think because I am lopsided due to single mast, it's harder to balance. How are the other exercises on the Wii fit? thanks