Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

hey Ronna, nice new pic!  You are so NOT looking your age.

Esther, my college boyfriend was from Fair Lawn, NJ.  (home of Lea & Perrins)

Ruth, I looked up the date of Pres. Day in 2007 and will tell you IF you want to know.

I put Dec 22 as my dx date because that's the date of my first appt with the oncologist.

((Kim)) glad your DH is home.  We all get how BC is the gift (sic) that keeps on giving. 

IDK if I'll ever "get over it" completely. But IDK if I should, either, ya know?  I'm more self-centered these days, and I mean that in a good way.  Eating better, exercising more, working less, being more mellow and paying more attention to what's important to me.  "The best things in life aren't things."

Walked to soup class and back, got in 2.4 miles in the morning chill.  Soups were so good, I'll share the recipes if anyone wants but I have to type them up first.  Right now, I'm headed for a walk in the afternoon sun.  ((hugs)) to all

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited March 2012

Gorgeous picture, Ronna!

Badger, I always got/get copies of all my reports, so I could just look at the date in my files....but somehow I just don't want to.....weird. I don't think you ever 'get over it', but you can USE it to make your life even richer: really enjoy the little things, do more of the big things, not sweat the annoying things, take better care of yourself physically and mentally etc.

I am also off for a walk in the sun!

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2012

Patoo- great picture; glad you got some meds.

So today I drove the 30 minutes to our closest pool hoping to spend some time in the therapy pool stretching this frozen shoulder and seeing if I can swim at all and when I got there it was closed for swimming lessons. I guess I looked at Sunday's schedule by mistake. Such a silly (but time consuming) mistake. Then it was off to the mall with DH and both daughters (older one is home on college break) and we had PF Changs (gluten free) for lunch.  We are going to see Les Mis tomorrow so no time to try the pool again till Tuesday after work.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2012

Finally got out of the house late this afternoon. Walked two miles with my husband, nice and easy, kept my hands in my pockets so I wouldn't swing my arms much. Felt good. Now I'm off to supervise the laundry (still I'm still barred from doing the actual housework).

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012
    Lovely hour long walk, 30 minutes 'Arms/Abs & Buns of Steel'. DH just announced that he is craving Chinese, and who am I to argue? Wink
  • Quaatsi
    Quaatsi Member Posts: 270
    edited March 2012

I was cold. I was tired. I was afraid I was going to vomit all day.

i went anyway.... 14 miles on horseback through  the mountains.  

I don't think there can be any better medicine for me. 

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012
    Hubby and I took a nice walk earlier this evening, chilly but refreshing, trying walk after each meal, burn those calories. Hope everyone had a great Saturday. Patoo, great picture of you in Disney World, and so glad the cellulitis is under control!!! Ruth,  I also love Chinese. Happy eating!!!!
  • truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012
    Okay, overdid it and am taking today -and maybe tomorrow too- off. 5 days a week IS enough. And, doubling up on everything, I sure didn't need a 6th day. (I usually take Wed. and Sun. off but worked through Wed. this week as I was so inspired.) DH is cooking a rare treat tonight -filet mignon and red wine! Smile
  • badger
    edited March 2012

walked another 2.4 miles this afternoon in the afternoon sun and enjoyed the wind in my hair.  People who haven't gone bald have no idea how much they take that feeling for granted.  Napped before going out with friends.  Didn't drink but had an after-dinner coffee so now it's midnight and I'm still awake.  :-)

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2012

Quaatsi, I'm glad you went anyways!

I'm on vacation, but I took you guys with me!  Laughing  I did a fast-paced walk with the husband along the beach this morning and did all kinds of walking all over Tijuana this afternoon/evening. I'm tired!  But in the good way.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012

badger, you are a poet. wind in our hair is beautiful. sweet. so dear and then some, but not all of us forget and remember. i love the wind inmy hair.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

Yesterday was Sports Attack and Hard Core Abs from Les Mills. Hard cardio! However I then went out to eat with my best girlfriends and negated the calorie burn.

Did 30 minutes Pump and Burn and am now running to hot yoga! have a great sunday!

Esther, glad you got out! to answer your question about Anusara, my practice hasn't really been affected by the John friend situation. I go to a very small studio. Our Anusara instructor has not talked much about it. I am enjoying the practice as it is so ailgnment related and I really need that with all my upper body surgeries. It is really great.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2012

Rainy day today - did an hour of pilates mat and some jumpboard.  My daughter baked a yummy strawberry cake that I can't resist, I'll need a good workout tomorrow.  

truebff  Days off are good.  I come back even stronger when I've had a few days off!         Ginger48  Hope you find some relief with your shoulder.  badger   "The best things in life aren't things."  So true.  I would love soup recipes, if you're sharing them!  

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Hi all.  Had a fun time in NYC yesterday - 6 girls day out!  I did not lose anyone close in 911  but a coworker at the time lost her husband and 2 people who still go to the church I attended ran, one down 16 flights and out and the other ran when one plane hit as he walked towerds the towers.

I was very touched yesterday as I walked around the ponds and just ran my hand over names, sending up prayers for those they left behind.  Truly humbling experience.  Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit was amazing.  Can't really describe the feeling.  Probably if I knew the ancient language and could read some of it for myself it would have been even more spectacular.  Some of the pieces were so tiny; just mind boggling.

Okay, this is an 'exercise' thread so my fingers are getting the workout.   Dropping DS off at movies and then will walk around the mall for the 2 hours until he comes out.  Then will come home and do the same as yesterday, elevate leg and ice it because I know it will scream at me again today. I'm guessing by tomorrow the anitbiotic will have kicked in sufficiently to take the tenderness away.

• badger
    edited March 2012

hi ladies, here's Greens & Beans Soup.  I haven't typed up the curry one yet, but I will..

Greens and Beans Soup

1-2 bunches kale or collards, stems removed and chopped

3 Tbsp sesame or canola oil

1 large onion, chopped

1 Tbsp garlic, minced

1 cup celery, chopped

1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)

1 green or red pepper, seeded and chopped

4 cups garbanzo or red beans, drained and rinsed

6 cups water

Heat oil in a large skillet; add onions, garlic, celery, mushrooms and peppers.  Stir and sauté until soft.  Add water, kale and beans.  Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.  Add salt & pepper to taste.

Notes:  I used one bunch each kale and collards; added a few sliced crimini mushrooms; used three cups chicken stock, one cup tomato juice and two cups water; plus a few ass't leftover veggies: a few plum tomatoes, an eighth of a head of cabbage, a couple of carrots, and the last of a bag of frozen corn, maybe a half-cup.  Very pretty and very tasty!

• patoo
    edited March 2012

Yum badger.  I also throw stuff I find in the refrig into my soups. Actually going to make one later today.   Looking forward to seeing your recipe for the  curry tilapia soup.

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2012

Just seeing this thread. Funny because I had bilat mx 3 yrs ago and doc's all said "exercise, exercise, exercise!".. I didn't :(    

Now 3 yrs later, I went to my first hr long ZUMBA class yesterday.... What fun!!!! 

I know I should do more than one class in 3 yrs., but, hey.....I'm hoping my body will cooperate with my brain and it will find itself back in an exercise class!

• badger
    edited March 2012

hi mikita5 and welcome!  This is a great thread, a diverse bunch of ladies who like to exercise.  Some walk and some run, some dance and some do combat, some hike and some bike.  Sometimes we need the help of the Voices of our sisters to motivate us, and sometimes we are the Voices helping someone else to get up and move.

Take it slow to start out, but do something every day, even something small, then post it here.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2012

Welcome Mikita glad you enjoyed your zumba, that's the secret to exercise, find something you like and just do it, it doesn't matter when you start you just have to make a start . Badger that soup sounds delicious, I have just come back from the store and bought lentils to make lentil soup and 10 bean soup mix, love going to a store with "bins" got loose prunes and dark chocolate covered cashews and all different varieties of granola to put in my yogurt yum. Patoo beautiful picture of you and your DS, so glad you enjoyed your day in NY with your friends.

Well this morning instead of going to the gym I gave in and went to the walk in clinic, I haven't felt well for the past few days, my eye has been sore, I've been tired, had a sore throat an earache, I've had an ache in my neck and shoulder - all mild and my toe is sore really weird, I said to the nurse I feel like a fraud being here cause I'm not sick just "off" well I have shingles, he was concerned cause it's in my eye so I have medication and I'm going to spend the day laying around watching telly, Great Performances is playing the 25th anniversary of the stage play Phantom of the Opera I saw it the other night and loved it so much I'm going to watch it again.

• badger
    edited March 2012

OK ladies, here's the Fish Curry, now I am headed out for a walk.  Have a good evening!

Fish Curry

1 pound tilapia, cut into bite-sized pieces

3 Tbsp canola oil

1 large onion, chopped

1 cup celery chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/3 cup curry powder *

3 Tbsp freshly grated ginger root *

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

1/8 tsp black pepper

¼ tsp paprika

1.5 cups coconut milk (a small can)

6 cups water

¾ cups rice (optional)

2 Tbsp lime juice

*I would use less curry powder and ginger!  This batch was quite spicy.

Heat oil in a large soup pot; add onion, garlic, celery and spices.  Stir and sauté until onions are soft.  Add coconut milk and stir in well.  Add rice and water, stir again.  Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes.  Check frequently and add more water, if needed.  Add the fish and the lime juice just at the end and simmer 5 - 10 minutes until the fish is heated through (becomes opaque).

edit to add a hug for ((Cheryl))

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2012

Oh Cheryl take care of yourself and feel better! One of my running friends had shingles last year, and she was worn out by it for quite a while afterward. Of course she and another of my GFs ran 10 miles today, so there's your encouragement to getting better!

Hi Mikita! I have yet to try a zumba class but it seems so many love it. Looking forward to your posts.

Those soup recipes sound good, and aside from the chicken stock in the first one (easily replaceable, of course), they fit within my vegetarian diet guidelines. But I like spicy, so I'd definitely not change the ingredient amounts!

Well it took me all day to do it, but I finally got out late this afternoon for a walk with my husband once again. We did 3.5 miles. I feel great! 

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012

I think I am going over to Badger's house for supper!!!!!! and I will need a bowl of each as they both sound delicious. (Then I will stop by Cheryl's for some Yogurt Yum.)

Took a long walk on a nice, windy spring day & did a little toning with Richard Simmons.

Welcome Mikita!

Patoo, your NYC day sounds amazing. My SIL's sister sang in a Master Corale at some of the ceremonies last fall & invited SIL to come with. Which she did, feeling that it was really an honor to be there.

Cheryl, glad you went to the clinic. I suppose we should all be getting a shingles vacination. ??

• patoo
    edited March 2012

Ruthbru, I'll meet you at badger's house then you can drive us to cheryl's.

hbcheryl, shingles - ouch!  Take care of yourself.  I need to take that advice myself.  Dropped DS at movies then walked around the mall.  Clocked almost 3 miles today.  What am I doing now while on here - icing my swollen ankle.  Kick in antibiotic, kick in.

Welcome Mikita.

• badger
    edited March 2012

walked 3.9 miles this afternoon, including three laps around my favorite little city park.

• patoo
    edited March 2012

good, now go make the soups - ruthbru and I are on the way.

• badger
    edited March 2012

LOL OK I have lots of extra Greens & Beans, going to freeze some and give some away.

DH didn't like the sound of the curry so I will have to make that for myself next weekend.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012
    We'll come over next weekend then Smile.
  • badger
    edited March 2012

Happy to have you, weatherman said it might hit 70 here next weekend!!!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012
    We could 'Slurp and Sculpt'.
  • badger
    edited March 2012

and if I don't adjust the seasonings, the curry will make us sweat.  Did me, anyway.