Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited March 2012
    Slurp, Sweat, and Sculpt
  • truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012

Beautiful day. My very handsome and romantic husband took me on our favorite and long neglected river walk for 1 hour and 20 minutes - slow-, so I didn't panic. I've been so afraid to walk away and then not be able to make it back. I can do so much in my house, but away from home, not so much yet. I feel so oldish in that, since radiation, I am so weak and tired. And yet, the sunshine, the trees waking up, my husband by my side, my hand in his, going slow, as slow as I needed to, it was so nourishing. Along the river, then beside the new pools for canoes, and then through the wooded path- the most challenging part of the walk, up and down the wooded hills past the rugged side of the river loop. Then home to lovely dinner and wine. My new year theme is Light! -and as dim as I may feel, it seems people smiled so brightly at me as we passed them on our walk. Perhaps they are giving me the light as well!

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2012

Spicy foods make you burn calories. Bring it!

Beautiful description of your walk, truebff. I offer my light to you as well. 

• Quaatsi
    Quaatsi Member Posts: 270
    edited March 2012

Hi all-- maybe I did too much. Not sure if it was 5 hours in the saddle or simply the effects of right after chemo. WHat a night and day!  I am just getting up out of bed. My poor husband-- i woke him up vomiting maybe 25 times! and my body ached ...still does.  Took Aleve which takes an edge off but not much else.  My legs are so weak--now that can be the riding!!  

I think it was worth it though.....lol

Wind through my hair too Q 

• Quaatsi
    Quaatsi Member Posts: 270
    edited March 2012

very nice truebff

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012

Cheryl, I sure hope you heal quickly, shingles, wow, pLease take care of yourself!! Wonderful, wonderful recipes, Badger, thanks for sharing!!!! Quaatsi, I sure hope you feel better soon, wow you just had chemo and still had fun horse back riding. You are a trooper!!!!!!  Wow, Truebff, you have a gem of a husband, but you sound like a jewel yourself!!! Did not do much exercise today, but went on a whale watch with my wonderful hubby and son. Great day!!!!! Have a great Monday, everyone!!!!!!!

• Dazdnfused
    Dazdnfused Member Posts: 208
    edited March 2012

Girls, just checking in to say good evening.  Long run today, then played with lemons-made preserved lemons, lemon cake and lemon curd.  Roasted bunch o'beef bones and am going to make slow, slow stock tomorrow.  The good, rich kind.  I'm really tired tonight-we are getting rain here soon (thank goodness-we need it) and I am just going to curl up with a "junk food" magazine (what I call mags like People and Hello!) and go to bed early.  Hope you all had a great weekend-Q, you take care of yourself, True-you are a sweetheart-everyone else xo and tomorrow...

Kim 

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2012

Orangemat ~ The date April 15th is the date I found out I had cancer....but I have also heard some people say that it is the date you finish your last chemo....I choose that date that I was DX.  I like who ever said you have cancer now start a new life!  Good words to live by.  Went for a great walk today!  lifted some weights!  

night all

Balsie 

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2012

2+ mile walk to the farmers market and back this morning; a walk down into the Sunny Jim Cave and back up - 145 steps up a cave!

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2012

NWArtLady~ Hope you got some yummy food at the farmers market!  Sounds like you had a great start to your day.  I am off to work.....and it is raining out, this will clean up everything. Enjoy your day everyone!

Be Well

Balsie 

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2012

Hi all,

Just joining this thread. I'm about 2 months post-chemo and 1 month post-pneumonia, doing a lot of hiking in a nearby park and the couch-to-5k running program on a treadmill.  I've been having difficulty finding that balance between challenging myself and overdoing it. After a week of what I'm calling "rebound fatigue" from overdoing it, I'm repeating week 2 of hte c-2-5k program starting today.

I'm also trying to count housework and yardwork as exercise...I certainly got tired after vacuuming the whole house yesterday. I practically fell asleep in my dinner plate.

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited March 2012

Lots of catch up reading needed here.  I have been offline due to a busier than usual workload and a little guilt.  After Disney, I hardly did anything  Last week I tried to catch up and ran Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday (25-30 min) and then did a 3.5 on Saturday and 6.5 yesterday.  Can't believe taking off about a week and a half, how much it put me back.  I was breathless, wheezing, in pain etc. 

Now I am back, and have to get back on track.  My outer foot is really hurting me today so I am going to take today off and do another run tomorrow.  

Going backwards to catch up on posts.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012

Hi cfdr, glad that you are joining us!

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2012

Welcome cfdr!  And yes, be careful about overdoing it. my oncophysiologist talks about this a lot and tells me to do regular exercise but that overdoing it can put me back and to be careful about that.  And yes, housework counts!!  It is physical activity!

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012

Since rads especially, but even before, after surgery, my body could not expend energy the way it did before all that. I have to budget my energy or I am broke for a few days or a week.

What surprised me was that I can do a lot inside my house including light inside jogging and "inside" walking/marching/iceskating. But yesterday, taking an outside walk was harder than I could have imagined. It was still worth it, so nice to get out, but today, I am really sore, feeling my muscles, my lower back, and am tired. I would have thought that my inside exercise was harder exercise, so this was surprising to me.

• orangemat
    edited March 2012

Got my drain out this morning, then walked 5.5 miles (one of my regular running routes) in the park. Not too shabby for only one week post-op!

Welcome cfdr, glad you found us here.

• CorinneM1
    edited March 2012

Great to hear Orangemat.  Glad to hear that you are doing well.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012

Hi, cfdr, this is such a great thread, you will enjoy reading all the posts!!!! Truebff, radiation can really zap your energy, but hang in there, get the rest you need, and you will find your energy returning!!!  I spent time in the gym this morning, doing the elyptical and stationary bike, but feeling tired myself, maybe it is the time of year!!! Orangemat you sound great, enjoy your evening everyone.

• orangemat
    edited March 2012
    So I'm relaxing over my well-earned lunch this afternoon, and my phone rings. A friend is calling, asking if I'm available to go walking this afternoon. Sure, I've already showered and changed from this morning's walk, so why not?? Plus I had an errand to attend to that was only 2.7 miles away... so off we went, had a lovely 5.4 mile walk, and I even got my belly ring put back in. Cool
  • ruthbru
    edited March 2012

Awesome Esther!

Did 20 minutes on the treadmill & a 40 minute FIRM DVD called Rock It Off, which is a combination of cardio and weights done on a torture device called 'The Wave'.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Welcome cfdr.

Still doing nothing waiting for my ankle swelling to go down and infection to clear up.   Supposed to be nice tomorrow so if the rain holds off, or maybe even in the rain, I think I will get out.  Looking forward to getting back to walking/running again.  Corinne, I have to try again to put our picture up.

• CorinneM1
    edited March 2012

Patoo!!! I need to go back and read. What did you do lady?

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Hi, Corinne, nothing related to the 5K weekend.  Developed a skin infection on my leg (cellulitis) that the doc first thought might be a blood clot - it wasn't.  Great to see you back here.

• Greatlakes435
    Greatlakes435 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2012

Been doing more walking this week and I had one day that I felt GOOD:) still spent Saturday on the couch but Sunday 5 mile walk! Maybe the rads are lifting? Sure hope so. It's been three months since I finished. Love reading all of the posts.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012

It sort of forces you to get out there, doesn't it?!!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

hi ladies and welcome cfdr.  Esther, yay to drain out and belly ring in.  Cool

I'm up super-early because I was having weird dreams that kept waking me up.  Decided heck with it, got up and made a coffee. 

No yoga class last night, it's a break between classes, and we start back up next week.  Walked 2.45 miles yesterday.  Take care everyone, love and healing light to all.

• orangemat
    edited March 2012

Good morning everyone! Sorry you didn't sleep well, badger. I get that way, in the early morning hours, my psyche starts playing games with me and giving me psychotic/paranoid dreams. Better to just get up and face reality head on (at least that way I know what I'm dealing with).

Though last night I slept well, whew! And my legs are quite, er, full of sensation this morning. I don't want to say achy or sore, because I really can't complain, it's not that pain. But I feel them, oh yes I do!

Hoping you're continuing to feel better, Patoo. How's the running going Corinne? Still want to see more Disney pics! 

I was thinking of wearing my heart rate monitor while walking, just to see what sort of exertion level I'm getting myself up to, to compare to running, but then I realized I can't because of my recent incisions. Funny how I keep forgetting about that stoopid surgery! Also, last night, lying on my bed, I went to go stretch my right arm up over my head. It got stuck at vertical (90 degrees to my body, hand level with my shoulder) and for a moment I was surprised why I couldn't put it back on the bed behind me... duh! I mean, I'm trying to be patient with my body, waiting for it to heal.... anyone else struggle with that?

I have another walking errand this morning, just 2 miles round trip to the post office. Might go to the library too and extend it a couple more miles, we'll see. Tonight is my running club's first spring track workout. No promises, but I will be wearing my running shoes....

Have a lovely Tuesday, all! 

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited March 2012

Hi everyone, I am on another anti-inflamatory pill and cymbalta to try and relieve the pain in my legs and lower back. Dr. is going to set a date for an epidural, but I am really trying to avoid that. You guys are so terrific and motivated. I did not have chemo and/or rads and I could not keep up with you.

Ruth, thanks for compliment about pic. Badger, I am 63. Thanks also for compliment.

Patoo: I am Jewish and I wish the artifacts at the Dead Sea Scrolls were larger too. In the fall of last year, I went to the Tenements of NY (near Orchard) and I enjoyed it much more.

Going for color/cut this a.m. and then to dentist, maybe I will motivate myself to walk around complex, even though I am out daily walking Sam my dog. Also, if it does not rain. Ooops, I forgot I belong to a gym. DUH, no class, just bike. Welcome, all newbies.

Hugs,

• CorinneM1
    edited March 2012

Morning all--

Sorry to hear that Patoo.  That really stinks. I hope you feel better soon.

Ruth, running is going okay.  I was lazy and took a week+ off.  Then started up again last week and ran 4 days and tried to go at a faster pace and longer. Sunday night my outer meaty part of my foot is really hurting. I had done over 6 miles on Sunday and then walked about 2 miles in a parade and it was a little sore, but not bad. Then Sunday night/Monday morning it really blooming hurts.  Odd though, it hurts less to walk on it, more like when I have been resting and then put weight on it, it hurts.  So I was advised (by my teammate here who is a real runner--college scholarship, runs 5 min mile etc etc) to not run this week as it is most likely peroneal tendonitis. 

So today, instead of running, I am going to go for a bike ride after work and do this a couple more times this week.  I hope that I am able to run on it this weekend as I want to do 7 miles.  Lessons learned---don't take time off!  And then don't try to make up for it when you do!

Love that you are wearing your running shoes tonight Ruth.  Ain't nothing gonna hold you down. :)

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2012

Had another bad day of fatigue yesterday so I didn't start back up on my C-2-5K program. Did go for a short walk in the sunshine. Wish I could say it helped but it didn't! Feeling a bit better today, so after getting some work done maybe I'll try to jump on the treadmill. I feel like I'm starting over from zero again.