Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited March 2012

Couldn't figure out what an airline trail was, so I had to look it up.  What a wonderful resource for your CT ladies!  I live just over the border in RI, wish we had one.  My walking generally consists of trudging through neighborhoods, with a steep hill done once or twice to get my heart rate up at the beginning.  But the key is to keep moving, no matter where or how.  I've been making a pledge to exercise every day since New Years, and only missed two days (oh, and my one week vacation :), I only missed two days at home).  I find it hard to come here every day to post exercise, but I am awed by how you all are so active - quite an inspiration!

Classical Stretch 20 minutes, walk 30 minutes, upper body video 6 minutes

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2012

Went for a walk yesterday, down to the river and up a steep hill. When I was on chemo this was my daily walk, if I could make it that far. I was so tired I napped afterwards. Today will be another attempt at C-2-5K on the treadmill. Yesterday was a bad day but hoping that this latest bout of fatigue is beginning to pass.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited March 2012

cfdr, good for you - exercising during chemo! Do you change the treadmill settings manually for c-5k or is there a program you use? Hope your fatigue disappears soon.

Am off to the gym soon. Tomorrow, we'll be leaving for the mountains. My husband has planned a snowshoe/ skitour for the family. DD and I will snowshoe up the mountain with DD carrying her skis. My DH carries my skis and he skis up the mountain with furskins under his skis. Then we're all supposed to ski in the deep snow downhill. Wish me luck!

• pickle
    pickle Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2012

Misswim, sorry about your friend. There has been such sad news lately.

Well today was the day that I promised myself that I would start walking. I went for a brisk 45 minute walk at 6:30 am. Cool but refreshing -4 C (25F) and I felt so good when I got home.

Thanks to all for getting me moving

Have a great day,

Beth

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2012

cfdr, can you do your running outdoors instead of on the treadmill? You might find it easier to manage the running parts when you don't have to think about how fast to change the speed on the machine, and just run the pace your body naturally feels inclined to do. Just a thought.

That said, I ran today with a friend whose normal pace is an 11 minute/mile. Just to compare, I'm more like a 9:20 to 9:30 on average. Anyway, I couldn't keep up with her and we kept slowing down to closer to 11:30. It's one thing to purposely keep things slow and easy (as I did Tuesday night) and it's another to feel you just can't exert your body at all. And then add to that the gastric distress I started feeling with a little more than a mile left before we got back to the car... I sent her on to finish the run on her own so I wouldn't slow her down and I trudged it out and made it back intact (whew!). Good thing there are functional bathroom facilities in the park, that's all I've got to say! Oh, 6 miles total for me, 11:10 pace average. Tomorrow I rest, for sure.

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited March 2012

Just met one of my new neighbors. She asked if I wanted to go for a walk. I never turn down an exercise invitation so we went out yesterday. I suggested hills and she was fine with that, so we walked thru a hilly neighborhood just north of us for over 2 hours!  It was great --hope we can do it again soon~

I usually prefer to jog, but this was a great workout - I should incorporate more walking into my daily routine - it doesn't take so much out of me so don't need any recovery time to speak of. And of course I can go out longer. A 2 hour jog would tire me out for the rest of the day!

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2012
    Does 11 hours of walking (with some sitting here and there) at Disneyland count?  I hope so, 'cause I'm exhausted! Tongue out
  • orangemat
    edited March 2012
    Oh my goodness, NWArtLady, it certainly does!! Good for you! Hope you enjoyed the park and didn't only visit my "favorite ride" as I often do (i.e. the bathroom).
  • Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012
    DisneyLand is my favorite place to be. It is definitely a work out. Hope you had a great time there, NWArtLady.  We bought a yearly pass there.Smile I am a little tired today, so no walking or bike riding today, but tomorrow I will kick it up again. Have a great weekend all!!!!
  • badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

hi ladies, gorgeous day here!  Got out at lunchtime and thinking of heading out after supper.

Beth, attawoman for getting out and walking this morning. 

Heidi, good luck skiing, have lots of fun with your family!  I lived in Colorado for a while, and developed a love of the sport.  But I got spoiled by the champagne powder snow out West and can't ski happily in the wet Midwestern snow.  So enjoy yourselves extra for me, OK?

Keep up the good work, everyone, do what you can and post when you can.  ((hugs)) to all

• Greatlakes435
    Greatlakes435 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2012

It's pouring rain. The time change is catching up with me and psyche is stressed as I have several follow up appointments at the cancer center next week . I have not been back for three months. I just want to lye by the fire and veg. The Lifecycle bike is calling me, but it is a whisper . I think I need louder voices today?

Kathleen

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited March 2012

GET ON THE BIKE, KATHLEEN! Report back, and THEN sit by the fire Smile

It was so nice here that I took a long, long walk in shorts. Unheard of in North Dakota in March. I'm sure we will all regret it when we are treading water after all the polar ice caps melt, but it sure felt good today! Also did a 25 minute FIRM toning DVD.

• orangemat
    edited March 2012

How's this for incentive? As my husband has always said, "You never regret it afterward." Of course, he's talking about something else.... Tongue out

Yes, Kathleen, listen to Ruth and get on the bike! 

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2012

Beautiful here in MN too!!  Went for a long walk....so nice!  This weekend I will be taking my bike out and going for a ride or two.

Enjoy

Balsie 

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

Ladies, I dragged my butt to yoga. SO glad I did.

I went in and I dedicated my practice to Suze.

I struggled through the first few minutes. Then I started moving. And suddenly, I realized that I can do these amazing things with my body. With THIS body, with all it has been through. And without all of you ladies, your voices, your support, your encouragement and love, I don't think I'd be able to do what I do. And by the end of this very vigorous flow in 95 degree heat, I was dedicating my practice and intention to all of you.

Because you are awesome, amazing, incredible VOICES and I love you ladies!!!

Heidi- have so much fun skiing. I was telling the hubby about your trip and he was SO jealous!!!

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2012

ruthbru that was awesome!  I heard you all the way over here! :-)

That is so funny orangemat! I'm sharing that with my husband...

missswim, I love your post!  Especially where you write about what you are doing "with THIS body, and all it has been through."  Thank you for that.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

No, NW, THANK YOU. You ladies really have no idea what you do for me. xoxo

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2012
    Ruth you are too funny.  Misswim I think that you are amazing.  NWArt it was perfect weather for DL hope you had fun.  Dogs how nice that you've got to make a new workout friend - and a two legged one instead of your usual four legged kind, and those hills in PV are killer.  Okay I need to ask, what is an airline trail I've never heard of it before is it like those elevated rail lines that are now parks in New York?  I did a very intense RPM spin class oh and I wore my shirt insdie out, only discovered it on the way out, ah well I'm starting a new fashion trendTongue out
  • ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2012

Ruth- I heard you on the east coast too!

hbcheryl-The airline trail is a walking/hiking path that was originally the train line from new york to boston. It was abandoned and has been made into public access. Parts of it are beautiful.

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2012

Heidi, I am actually a couple of months post-chemo now. Still having issues with fatigue, though.

orangemat, it's actually much easier for me to run on the treadmill rather than outdoors. Changing speed is not a problem at all, it is a one-button push, and I have the segments timed on an app on my phone, so it rings a short tone when it's time to switch from walk to run or back again. My neighborhood is very hilly, it would be tough to start out running here. And the treadmill means I don't have to worry about the weather...in another month or so it will be too hot for me to run outdoors without triggering a migraine.

• orangemat
    edited March 2012

No worries, cfdr. I'm just one of those people who finds the treadmill harder than running outdoors, so I figured I'd just offer the suggestion. Whatever works for you is great! And happy running to you. Smile

Hugs to you misswim. I'm starting to miss going to yoga, and wish there was a class I could fully participate in right now. But even the gentle class at the studio later this morning will be too much for me at this point, I think. Maybe once I restart physical therapy I'll get that breathing and gentle movement and stretching fix that I'm craving. Right now, I'm still not allowed anything other than the breathing part. Wink I see my PS on Monday for my two week post-op appointment, so we'll see.

So Kathleen, did you listen and do the bike? 

My son comes home from college tonight for his spring break next week. I'm really looking forward to seeing him! Have a great weekend, all! 

• vballmom
    vballmom Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2012

I only walked a 1/4 of a mile yesterday, with hubby dragging me.  I had an emotional day.  The walk helped.  Feeling more stable this morning. Orangemat, my husband says that all the time and he actually is referring to walking!

• dogsandjogs
    edited March 2012

Went for a nice long jog yesterday in my new jogging pants. They are from Land's End and so comfortable. Managed to do 1 hour and 45 minutes.  Only a little stiff from yesterday's long walk.

And I drank enough water so didn't have Afibs later!  

• dogsandjogs
    edited March 2012

Cheryl, thanks. 

I have no idea what an airline trail is.  ???

Do you remember about 20 years ago, the fashion was to wear sweatshirts inside out?. I thought it looked weird, but my friend wore hers that way all the time.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2012

Dear Vballmom, so understandable that you are having some emotional ups an downs, hang in there and every bit of walking helps!! But you have alot on your plate right now, just do what you can and come here for support and encouragement. Wonderful ladies, here!!! Dogs and Jogs, your new pants sound wonderful and Cheryl, how are you feeling? You have a great sense of humor!!! Driving up to San Francisco this weekend, and hope to get lots of walking in!!!!!! Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2012

Dear Vballmom, so understandable that you are having some emotional ups an downs, hang in there and every bit of walking helps!! But you have alot on your plate right now, just do what you can and come here for support and encouragement. Wonderful ladies, here!!! Dogs and Jogs, your new pants sound wonderful and Cheryl, how are you feeling? You have a great sense of humor!!! Driving up to San Francisco this weekend, and hope to get lots of walking in!!!!!! Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!Kathy

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Doc called me back to see her tomorrow.  Guess she went over the PA's notes and decided she should see my leg herself?  I was wondering if I should have asked for her to review it anyway.  PA's are well trained but...  Doesn't hurt but ankle still swollen and rash itching although I've been on the anitbiotic a week.  We'll see.

I do plan on walking tomorrow, perhaps stopping at the gym for some upper body weights.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,847
    edited March 2012

Hello Again! I've been taking a break (reading off-line at times) and now I'm back! All is well with me. We were on a cruise last week and now I need to address those pesty extra pound!Smile

Patoo: I read that you had cellulitis. My son had it in his elbow at Thanksgiving. He was given IV antibiotics that day before T'giving in the ER and we had to take him back the day after T'giving for more IV antibiotics. Plus he was given oral antibiotics. Glad you're seeing your doctor tomorrow!

I just got back from my 2 mile walk/run at the park. At 7pm it is 80 degrees. Please bring back spring.

Ruth: Thank-you.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Thank Wonderland.  I need to remember to ask the doc about that because it's not the first time someone has mentioned the IV antibiotics.  Wonder why the hospital did not do that last week, or perhaps they didn't think it serious enough? 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

hi ladies and hey Wonderland!  Great to see you!  Was so nice here today, I walked at lunchtime, and again when I got home.  Over 11,000 steps today and 5.35 miles walked.

Patoo, a month ago I had an allergic reaction to a new foot cream, it swelled my ankles and gave me a rash that itched like the devil.  My doc prescribed a tube of topical steroid cream called triamcinolone (generic for Aristocort) that worked great.  My pharmacist said don't use it more than a week so I didn't.  Maybe ask your doc about that?

Have a great weekend, everyone!