Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• pickle
    pickle Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2012

Hello ladies. I see there are a few more newcomers like myself.

We had a wonderful weekend in Jasper. My DH helped me write a weekly schedule because I am still having difficulty getting organized. We scheduled everything from exercise to groceries to weekly meal planning. Pre-chemo, I never had to write anything down but I can't function without lists anymore. My memory and cognitive functions have never fully recovered from chemo and it's been almost 3 years.

Anyway, my new schedule officially starts on Thursday. Walking is slated for every morning for 45 minutes. I have to do it early to hopefully jumstart my day.

Hope everyone has a great day. Looks like some great recipes are being posted...yummy!

Beth

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2012

Dreary, cold day today - c'mon spring, hurry up and get here for good!

Thanks for the soup recipes badger!! Yum ~

Busy work day today - tonight I will get in some Zumba with my daughter.   

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2012
    Beth, you have a great walking plan, it will definitely jumpstart your day. We are off for a bike ride today!!!! Have a great day, everyone!!!!
  • orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2012

Oh cool, Ruth is going to wear her running shoes at the track tonight too! ;)

Walked 1.8 miles to the post office and back. Too warm for a cotton shirt, but not enough exercise for me to feel like I earned the sweat. I'm really looking forward to trying out a little jog tonight...

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Weather is absolutely beautiful and it stays light later.  That combo means go out for a walk/run, right?  Well I did that after work and now back on the couch with ankle elevated and an ice pack.  2.74 miles on the pedometer for today.  At this rate I will never get rid of the ankle swelling but at least it doesn't hurt, is not red or hot, so I guess eventually the antibiotics will get around to working on the swelling (if i stop running on it!)

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012

Beth, How nice your husband is helping you this way! Smile

(I am a BIG fan of nice husbands!!)

A morning walk sounds like a very lovely way to start the day. If I had someone to walk with and the weather was as nice as the last few days -and my strength gets better- I'd love to take a morning walk.

For me, my *exercise time* is often late afternoon -before my husband comes home from work- to do my "inside" exercise. I watch the news and exercise.  Today, did 10 minute "bounce"  (light inside jog/skipping) then dogs interrupted me. I did another 45 minutes of bounce after resuming. (My goal this week is to do 45 minutes uninterrupted x 5 days a week.) I also "inside walked" 15 minutes and did my 5 minute arm and PT/OT exercises. (I am on a Spring Boost Goal!)

Still to add are my 1/2 floor exercises and, if we eat late, I will bounce another 15 minutes.

• pickle
    edited March 2012

Trubff

Sounds like a good plan you have. I'm afraid if I were to bounce I would need to change my pants...lol

Ladies have fun with whatever you do.

Hugs

Beth

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited March 2012

Gah! Sorry Orangemat! Undecided

• orangemat
    edited March 2012

Corinne, you made me laugh. But wouldn't it have been even funnier if Ruth ran at the track tonight after all?!

4.16 miles in 50ish minutes. That's a 12 minute/mile pace, way slower than my body is accustomed to. That made the running actually harder to do, because I had to keep concentrating on not exerting myself, as well as not swinging my right arm that much. At least I got to see my running pals as we all passed each other all the time at the track, so that was good. So was the soft cushy track surface. All parts felt fine. I'll walk tomorrow, and run again on Thursday. Success!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited March 2012

Surprised No, no....I never said that I was going to run anywhere!!! I just wear the shoes.....

Patoo, maybe you better do water exercises until your ankle heals up.

trubff, take us out with you for a walk every once and awhile. It is good to get outside and breathe some fresh air.

Beth, I would be in the same trouble as you if I had to bounce too much!

Very nice here too but was at school until 6 pm (had to go to a reception), so did 30 minutes on the treadmill & 30 of the old arms/abs/buns of steel when I got home.

• vballmom
    vballmom Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2012

Good morning ladies.  I've been encouraged to come here by an angel AKA Kim (Dazdnfused).

I am awaiting MRI results and am tenatively scheduled for a lumpectomy on March 22.

I am still in the "deer in the headlights" mode but am doing my best to remain calm.  I'm trying to get outside every day and walk a little.  It seems to help, but to be honest, I am only going when I'm being pushed by my amazing cheerleaders.  I am barely on autopilot right now.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Teresa

• pickle
    edited March 2012

Hi Teresa,

The deer in the headlights happens to everyone. Waiting is so difficult but hang in there...lots of support surrounding you.

I admire you coming here and wanting to get some walking done. Good for you!

Perhaps when you get out for a walk today just take notice of all of your surroundings. The trees, the colors of the houses, the sounds, the smells. It helps to pass the time and may help to take your mind off BC ...even for a few minutes.

Here's a gentle nudge to get you moving today,

Hugs

Beth

• truebff
    edited March 2012

Hi Teresa,

So sorry you are going through this. This IS a good place to come to. Kim is an angel-friend to you and a big support to us here too. 

One thing from my own experience is that little increments are very good. Don't try to do more than you can. Even five minutes is good.

And, also, when you can't, you can't. I couldn't exercise at all for 6 + weeks after surgery  and had to cut it back (to little increments) during rads. And when you can exercise, it will help your recovery too. Little increments will build naturally as your body feels like doing more. But you are already in a marathon and sleep and good company and caring are all in order for you especially now.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited March 2012

Welcome Teresa, I am an on and off person, but the Voices ae constant.

• truebff
    edited March 2012

Patoo, so sorry about your cellulitis. It's very important you take good care of yourself through this too. Hugs!

• truebff
    edited March 2012

Today is my day off. I couldn't do the last bit I had planned last night. Enough was enough. I seem to have caught a bug and have aching muscles and sore throat - ughh.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2012

Hi Teresa  I find that getting outside and close to nature does wonders for the mind. truebff is right - getting in some exercise feels good, but just do what you can and don't feel guilty about the rest.   Hang in there, you'll get through it and there is tons of wonderful support here.

Headed to Krakow on an overnight train with the family in a couple of hours.  I should be finalizing the packing, but I desperately need to do something active so I'm pulling out a pilates mat and doing what I can for 30 minutes.

See you all in a few days ~

• vballmom
    vballmom Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2012

Right after I posted my intro, a friend called and convinced me to go on walk.  We went on the local airline trail for about an hour.  She has just finished her reconstruction and is a positive spirit!

Teresa

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2012

hi ladies and welcome Teresa.  Walking is good exercise and also it gets you out into the fresh air and sunlight.  Beautiful day here today, in fact so nice that I took the afternoon off.  Got garden clean-up on my mind...

Logged 7.5 miles walked yesterday & today.  Happy hump day, everyone!  ((hugs)) to all

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited March 2012

You are amazing, badger! Over 110 miles already.

Walked 2 miles today and biked 1 mile.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2012

Welcome Teresa. This is a good place and we will be here to encourage you and listen to you in any way we can.

I stayed very busy all weekend, worked out alot, and so far this week, yoga on Monday and nothing else :(. Late night at work last night, theen watching my boy in the middle school band (drum solo, such a proud mama.) Came home with every intention to pop in a dvd, opened up the boards to see the sad news that my boston pal Suze 35 is an angel, and I am simply a puddle of tears on the couch at this point.

Yoga tomorrow night and then back to my regular routine.

Love you all. Hug your families tight tonight.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012

Welcome Teresa, glad that Kim steered you our way. You are in the hardest part right now; once you know what your treatment plan will be you just 'do it and get through it'. As you can tell by reading all the posts, you can get through this and come out really, really O.K. Keeping moving during all this does help a lot, both physically and mentally. Hang in there!

I have a meeting & then really have to go to the grocery store, but will try to get in a little toning in anyway later tonight.

Misswim, I am so sad about Suze. What a tremendous and positive woman she was.

I love those school music concerts, I get a tear in my eye when I go to them and I don't even have a kid performing. Of course, I  remember tearing up after DS's last 9th grade football game, so I am pretty sentimental.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2012

Hi all.  Doc's PA says to give the antibiotic more time to get the ankle swelling down.  I'm also going to try and find a dermatologist for the rashes up and down both legs.  Energy level is still down and I know it's because I'm not moving.  This too shall pass.

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2012

misswim~ so sorry about your friend, it is so hard to have your heart break like that.  I am thinking of you

warm thoughts

Balsie

2miles around the golf course 

• orangemat
    edited March 2012

So sorry about your friend, misswim... hugs to you...

Yes, patoo, this too shall pass... so hard to be patient though, I know.

Welcome Teresa. I have a running friend who spells her name the same way you do, and she's yet another one in our "sisterhood". We all support and motivate each other by being active and doing what we love to do.

Today was a walking day. This morning was 2.8 miles with a group at some new hiking trails (well, new to me). This was a weekly organized walk that's put together via a women's non-profit group to get women together to exercise, and the proceeds go to a local women's shelter. The group is called Empowering Women Thru Motion. And yes, that's me in the second photo from the left on the top row.

Then 5.1 miles this afternoon with a running GF who's currently injured. We're signed up for the same half marathon in several weeks and she wants to pull out of it just because she can't run. I told her I have no clue if I'll even be able to completely run it, but I'm doing it anyway. So we walked today and talked. Hopefully she'll reconsider.

And finally this evening, 2.4 miles round trip to visit another running friend whose BIL recently passed away from a sudden and critical illness. I met yet another running friend there and we sat and chatted with the woman and her husband for well over an hour and a half.

10.3 miles for the day in total. It was a very good day. Smile 

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2012

Welcome Teresa; this is a very motivating and positive thread to be on. I see you are from CT. I am too and we have an airline trail in my town as well. Getting out and walking has been so helpful to me.

Misswim- so sorry to hear about your friend.

Esther- you are doing so well post surgery; great job.

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2012

Misswim~ If I may ask what happened with your friend...I always wonder what happens that things go wrong.  I had a friend die earlier this year....and she seemed like everything was going well and then it wasn't.  This ordeal we are all going through is not always my cup of tea.  

I wish my legs were going as fast as my head tonight...

Balsie 

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012

Two FIRM DVDs: Hard Core Fusion (35 minutes) and Express Abs (10 minutes)

Esther, your walking group looks very cool!

Balsie, Suze was a lovely BCO lady.

• Cyborg
    Cyborg Member Posts: 192
    edited March 2012

Eliptical (sp?) machine for one hour.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2012

Welcome Teresa, love your avatarWink Misswim I'm so sorry, there have been so many young ones lately it's just heartbreaking. Tonight did Body Combat with the wonderful Eduardo, my foot is hurting, actually my middle toe and it feels like someone has stomped on it but it's the shingles running its course luckily because I was on top of it I never got to the contagious stage just dealing with annoying symptoms, like Patoo says - this too shall pass.