Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2012

badger you're making me glad to live in So Cal right now.  30 degree drop--- brrr!

One hour walk tonight and intermittent hula hooping.  I've just about got chest hooping working.  Here's the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MslvDS_8z7Q

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2012

Sonson, here is the link to the literature review published a bit over a year ago in the UK.  This is the updated version.  I have the original on my hard drive.  Interesting how the new one has the director of the NHS encouraging patients in active treatment to exercise.  There is another headline on their website saying how 4 in 5 don't.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Documents/AboutUs/Commissioners/Physicalactivityevidencereview.pdf

This should give you enough information to get moving.

I had a break between my meeting and evening cycling club get-together so snuck in a three mile walk around Green Lake.  Just lovely, and I needed the exercise and air.

Off to bed and NO WORK tonight.  Yay.  Was nice seeing everyone tonight so glad I showed up. 

I remember planning exercise around when I would have the energy to do it.  So right after treatment, I would do a long walk as knew I would be dragging the next few days.  But always cycled weekends and always walked at least one mile on weekdays.  Took advantage of energy bursts to clean the house too and get in a bit of cooking.

I still use this method.  As in glad I have soup left for tomorrow evening. - Clair e

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited October 2012

Claire, thanks for the link. About all those patients who do not exercise, I think it is partly to be blamed on the attitude that still prevails about cancer and its treatment, namely that it is all too horrible and debilitating to do anything but lay back and swoon. I even got it from some of my medical personnel, as in I would tell them I exercised and they would tell me not to tire myself out, or ask me if I really thought I was up to that.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2012

Two mile walk last night down to our favorite Mexican restaurant - hey, at least we walked there!  Cool  Pilates DVD this morning, plus Lebeds.  Hey, Ruth and Badger - keep your foul weather to yourselves and don't ship it out here!!  They say that stuff you're sending this way will probably collide with Hurricane Sandy to create a holy mess Sunday night and Monday.  Not looking forward to that - hopefully Sandy will take a right turn and head out to sea instead of taking a left turn and hitting us!  Off to the cabin this weekend.  Can't wait - hopefully we can get in some hiking before the weather turns yucky. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited October 2012

Did get a walk in yesterday, and hopefully another one today at lunch, but that's about it for me.  Choir practice last night ran long, and Dr. appt this am, so no other exercise.  Don't know how you do it Ruth, you seem to have a much crazier schedule than I do, and you always seem to get your exercise in!  Maybe I'll go to the gym tomorrow.  Sandy expected in our area Monday/Tuesday, people already getting hyped up about it. 

• sonson
    sonson Member Posts: 50
    edited October 2012

Thanks for all the great links to chemo and exercise.  There's some great stuff in there.  I wish I could say that I've not needed the nuelesta shot, but oh well.  My oncologist is happy that I haven't become anemic.  He says that most people are anemic by this time during their treatment.  Hopefully that won't change.  I'm just half way done.

Was only able to do a one mile walk at lunch and a one mile walk last night.  Just had my third treatment on Wednesday so I'm feeling the effects of the steroids, but at the same time feeling the chemo too.  Starting to slow down today since the steroids lasted until last night, but will try for two more walks again today.  I'm glad I live in the south where the weather is still nice.  Although the temps are about to drop 20 degrees!  You guys up northeast better batten down the hatches and I hope Sandy turns right!  I've got family up that way.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited October 2012

Sonson....I was grateful for the Neulasta shot.  I didn't have to worry when they had to cut my gum to fix an implant that came unscrewed.  I didn't have to worry if I undercooked something.  I didn't have to worry when I sliced my thumb instead of the potatoes.  When I skinned my knuckles on my bicycle chain....

I was fortunate to be treated in a place that promotes exercise, including during chemo!  That said, I think I changed thinking in oncology circles here in Seattle.  I was that unusual.

One thing I picked up from Melinda Irwin is that a number of the nonexercisers who were in the "exercise intervention" group gained bone density, even when on AIs.  That is major.  The results from the "exercise and AIs" study should be available about one year from now.  I am awaiting those, as I think important for a successful trip through the five years.

Anyway, hoping it's dry enough this weekend to get in my two planned rides.  Fortunately, minimal work other than two things that have to be uploaded prior to Monday.  Am in good shape with all this.

Plus spend some quality time with my vacuum cleaner and I think finally fix a couple of things that I need to get out my sewing machine for.  Thinking perhaps a bit of fun?  What a concept! - Claire

• sonson
    sonson Member Posts: 50
    edited October 2012

Wow, great to hear about the bone density gains while on AIs, Claire, because I've got that to look forward to and it was in the back of my mind to worry about, but I just haven't gotten there yet.  It's very comforting to know that.  I think there needs to be more trials about chemo and exercise.  I'd be on those so quickly.  While I think it's great to have clinical trials on all the drugs I think exercise is important too.  I guess I just need reassurance that I'm not going to have to slow down too much.  I expect some slowing, but I don't want this cancer and this chemo to take away the things I love most in life which is getting that cardio high!  I used to run until my feet (I have flat feet) decided to betray me so then I turned to spin classes for my cardio and I love it.  I really don't want to give it up now that I found it. 

• claire_in_seattle
    edited October 2012

Sonson....I didn't give up cycling and even went x-country skiing once.  I also did the "easy course" of a cycling event.  I was cycling after SIX dose dense AC treatments, although do admit to a lot more energy once Taxol started.

So I would describe things as "dialing it down".  By the time radiation rolled around, I was training for summer events.  I admit to dragging towards the end of that too.  Not enough to prevent me from doing a 45 mile cycling event each of the two weekends immediately after.  The first one was "dialed down" from 65, and the second was less than I planned because of bone-chilling downpours.

I don't know how I would have reacted to six TC, but at least you will be done a lot sooner.  Just do what you can (pushing yourself is just fine) and be happy for the Neulasta. - Claire

• _Ann_
    edited October 2012

Momine, LOL at your comment "lay back and swoon".  I was still working a few weeks into chemo and had a coworker who would come by to ask how it was going.  Every time he'd say some variant of "but you look perfectly normal!" in a shocked voice.  I guess he expected me to be quivering and drooling.

Claire, loved hearing that reminder of the bone gain on AI.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,534
    edited October 2012

I was happy for the Neulasta shot too! I wanted to keep working (with snot-nosed kids), and so I could teach without worry too much about catching something from one of them.

Some people are knocked flat by chemo (or other treatments) and really, truly can not keep up anything near a normal schedule, but I think that to the extent that you can, you should. Besides helping yourself (both physically and mentally), you can offer hope and inspiration to others, that they can get through this too and be really, really O.K.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2012

I'm glad the Neulasta worked for you guys but I was glad not to need it.  Maybe it was all the meat I ate, maybe it was the exercise, maybe it was the luck of the draw.  I also don't work around kids, snot-nosed or otherwise. Wink  Everyone at work knew about chemo because 1) I told them, and 2) I went commando so it was obvious.  Kept to myself during the nadir, banned sick people from my presence, and washed my hands a lot.  Still do.

Good luck to all the East Coast ladies!

Sunny but chilly today.  Bit windy but that didn't stop me from a nice long walk this afternoon after I dropped off my car for an oil change.  4.54 km = 2.82 miles.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2012

45 minutes on the treadmill, 15 arms with Denise and then went to a college women's basketball game. Cold, but no hurricanes in the forecast (yikes, be careful East Coast ladies!).

pat01, I am pretty nutso (actually, very nutso) about getting 7 hours of exercise in a week, so I HAVE TO do it or no doubt the world would come to an end Tongue Out.

I am going to early vote tomorrow and then turn off the TV, radio, any form of mass communication, because I can't stand it anymore!!!!!!

• badger
    edited October 2012

We have a competitive U.S. Senate race in WI so the ads are double.  It is sickening.

I vote on election day and this may sound weird but I don't mind standing on line to vote.  Means lots of people are voting and that warms my heart.  Now, if only they were informed voters...

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited October 2012

Rainy cold day today, and suffering from a cold  Tongue Out   Hoping to get in pilates stretch this afternoon and maybe some jump board if I'm up to it.

Oh my - bad news about Hurricane Sandy.  Batten down east coast ladies, hope that this one defies the predictions and ends up not being too terrible.   

We don't get much US news here, but CNN is non-stop election news right now and I'm happy to hear it.  It amazes me that US elections get a lot of coverage internationally, too.  

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2012

We are waiting to see how sandy will affect us here in CT.

On a positive note; my aunt is heading home from the rehab. She is one strong lady! Thanks for all your positive thoughts.

I am under the weather with a cold/ allergies? But going to get a walk in before all this storm craziness takes over.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited October 2012

Hi Ladies......have not been around much. Went to a 60 minute Pilates class this morning and just did 30 minutes Les Mills Sports Attack.

Hope all are well. Cooking in adavance of Sandy! Looking to have some time without power unfourtunatley!

• whaevah
    whaevah Member Posts: 282
    edited October 2012

Yes, I am one of those who is taking a beating by chemo, mostly blurry vision which makes balance difficult while exercising...that said, I joined an exercise clinic, am supervised and I had;

One glorious hour of stretch, bike , treadmill and yoga poses! Fantastic..3 x per week

I'm baaaaaack Laughing

• ruthbru
    edited October 2012

Smile

• ruthbru
    edited October 2012

Half hour toning with Denise and half hour on the treadmill. Early voted this morning, had brunch with DH, DS & his girlfriend, then went to work. Imagine my suprise when I left four hours later and discovered that my car was covered with SNOW! Luckily I had never taken my scrapper out of the backseat since last winter, so I didn't have to brush it off with my hands! I guess I better dig out my gloves!

• badger
    edited October 2012

Laughing whaevah, welcome back!

Ruth, I'm far enough south that we'll get that cold but not that snow. Thanks anyway..

It was chilly (40's) but sunny so got in a nice afternoon walk.  Loving those ear-muffs!

5.1 km = 3.17 miles. 

• claire_in_seattle
    edited October 2012

I wussed out and joined the rest of the ride for breakfast, then back to work.  So only a walk today.  Nice to catch up with some of my cycling buddies.  It was really that foul out with major lakes on the freeway driving over to the start of the ride.

Hoping for better tomorrow.  Great news is that I am caught up on work, and I think a bit on rest.  Beyond tired, so not the worst thing that I had forced down time.

Got soaked during my walk too. 

Off to dreamland, but need to read some work stuff first.  As I said, think I needed a bit of down time. - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2012

This morning did a Body Combat class and had a great "fight". Ruth 85 degrees here today, I worked in the garden all afternoon and I have a beautiful vase of roses on the table as a result of my hard workCool  Mary congratulations on being discharged by your surgeon. Badger I’m with you I don’t mind waiting in line to vote and this year my Hannah is voting for the first time so we’re going to make a fun outing of it. Misswim get ready there’s a Les Mills Combat coming out in the next few months. Lilac for spin I put corn cushions on the top and bottom of my toe and tape it up and I put moleskin on the ball of my foot and I think our RPM is like your Vibe, RPM is a choreographed ride - warm up, flat road, hill climbs and tonight I watched a show about Florence it was spectacular so I know you’re having a fabulous time.  Claire glad you had a nice some nice "down" time. 

• _Ann_
    edited October 2012

Hbcheryl the roses sound beautiful.  I really enjoy seeing them in people's yards in full bloom lately.

Well chemo reared its ugly head on me the past couple days.  Bone pain and insomnia are wearing me down.  Didn't leave the house yesterday, but did a short walk tonight.  Planning to take a heavy duty pill tonight in hopes of finally sleeping.  Ambien isn't doing the trick at all.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited October 2012

Whaevah, good for you and sorry the chemo is so hard on you.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited October 2012

Down time is good, can just start back strong.  That's what I'm telling myself as this cold is dragging me down - no exercise the past few days.  

Sending good thoughts to those in Hawaii scurrying from the tsunami - geez, what weather we're having.  

• badger
    edited October 2012

Pretty day here, sunny blue skies.  Nice afternoon for a walk.  You'd never know all h*ll is breaking loose in other parts of the world.  Stay safe ladies!

Joy, I counted and we've gotten 27 pieces of campaign-related mail in the past ten days. I'd send you some but I get such pleasure from shredding it.

5.4 km = 3.36 miles walked, plus an hour of yoga to start my day. 

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2012

Glad it is beautiful somewhere; it is yucky here and expected to deteriorate more tonight. Schools are closed for the next two or three days. Hope it is not as bad as predicted...

• ruthbru
    edited October 2012

Hope it is not as bad either! Veer out to sea, Sandy!!

Did the FIRM 500 Calorie Workout early before a busy day.

The snow from yesterday is still on the ground. BRRR! My crabby cat Henry, who thinks he's quite the man-about-town, (don't tell him, but he's neutered) likes to go out and prowl around the yards of the neighborhood. Today when I was dragging in groceries; he scooted out the door at a run, hit the snow, jumped in the air, made a sharp turn and raced back into the house before the door could close. I believe I heard him mutter, "What the hell?!"

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2012

No formal exercise for me today but I went to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park for my friends birthday so have been walking all day, of course have been eating all day as wellSurprised

To all of you on the east coast, please be careful, I hope you all stay safe and dry from what we see it looks like it's one massive storm.