Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2013

Completed another 3 miles on the treadmill tonight and half an hour of strengthening exercise.

I have a stereo system with a turntable that still works. Quality has come a long way but the nostalgia lives on...

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2013

hi Cyndi, welcome!  This one's for you  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M

It's on my Disco Classics mix tape that I will have to dig out and walk to this weekend! 

I'm not much for the DVD's but Ruth is and I bet she'll have some recommendations.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2013

Nicole I agree with your observation and what an extraordinary human being that young man is.  Welcome Cyndi, I was in Target tonight an they had some DWTS videos, Ruth has company so it may be a day or so before she posts.  Badger great video and too true!!!

Tonight did RPM class, coincidentally the girl who taught was the very first instructor whose class I entered all those years ago, tonight was bittersweet.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2013

Ann, agreed. However, when we moved here, people thought we were nuts, because we are right downtown in a slice that used to be mostly commercial. Sometimes it can be achieved if you think outside the box a little.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited March 2013

This is the storm that never ends - started Wednesday and is still going.  We have been blessed by not a lot of accumulation where we live, but 1/2 hour north they have 10 inches! And the wind keeps howling.  So, bottom line, no walk at lunch today as it is still snowing here.

Got home late from choir practice, and was ready to flop into the shower and bed, when I heard a little voice saying "what would Ruth do?", and realized that I needed to do my crunches and arms no matter how tired I was.  Gotta say, I felt very virtuous afterwards :)  No classical stretch this morning, we have carpet guy coming to measure so hubby and I needed to decide on colors before I left for work.  Tomorrow I am doing a St. Patrick 5K with some friends - I'm going to walk it, as I haven't started getting in running shape yet this spring, but it's supposed to be a fun walk, and I hear we are going out for margaritas after!  Tomorrows weather is supposed to be 45 and sunny, you wouldn't believe that looking out my snowy window at work this morning.

• ck55
    ck55 Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2013

badger thanks for that. I was doing some serious chair dancing here at my desk!!! Man that was great music to dance to. (Although I never bought a Disco album?)

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will wait and see what Ruth might suggest.

Boogie on!

Cyndi

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2013

Mary- we got your snow here in Ct. A foot plus and a couple towns away has 20 inches and it is still snowing! It has basically snowed for about 48 hours here...

We have a turn table and I love playing our old albums! They sound a lot better than I thought they would.

Low steps on the pedometer for today. Will have to do something about that!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2013

Nicole - what a great story!  Pal - LOL on the What Would Ruth Do??  Now we have another inspiration besides The Voices - we can think WWRD??  Laughing And you inspired me - I just registered for a St. Pat's 5K on the 16th.  I'll have to incorporate the post-5K margaritas as well.  Cool Badger - love the link!  No matter what people say about disco music, it was perfectly designed to get you up and moving!!  I have quite a bit of it on my workout playlists. 

Now I just need to find my curling iron and blow dryer so I can do my Farrah Fawcett curls . . .

45 minute treadmill run after work yesterday, 30 minute dawn walk this morning.  It was weird - the sun was coming up, the sky was beautiful with just a few peachy clouds, and it snowed like crazy for about 15 minutes!!  Must have been some stuff being carried aloft. 

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

Snow started yesterday - but I managed to get to the gym at 5 AM for HIIT followed by legs, then home and played hooky from work - the roads were too bad! (Managed to get to the gym, though, didn't I???)  Now we have over a foot of snow yet again.  Just came in from some serious Shovel & Sculpting so my men don't have to do it all when they get home after a full day of work.

Couldn't just sit on the couch stuffing my face . . .

Is it Spring yet????

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited March 2013

Ruth is having a couple days of Eat and Visit with her company Smile. Things will get back to normal tomorrow. I will try to think  of some fun 'dancey' DVDs.

• Cocobean
    Cocobean Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2013

Badger- thanks for the link on exercise!

Had radiation today and Herceptin...always kinda wipes me out, but the sun was out and it wasn't too cold, so I strapped my 18 month old in the carrier and went for a walk...pretty short, but I figure carry around an extra 20 pounds makes up for the time.

Back to the gym tomorrow, gotta motivate.

• badger
    edited March 2013

WWRD?  LOL!  And oh yes, Mary, the hair.  Just threw away my 1970's curling iron last year.  Embarassed  Figured I'd never use it again since I'm keeping my hair short.  Kept the blow dryer tho.

I loved disco, and funk!  Still do.  Music really motivates me to move and it's fun to listen to these old mix tapes.  Unfortunately, I didn't date that disco tape but it's old enough to have had its name changed from "Disco Dancing" to "Disco Classics".  Cool

Walked at noon then a spin around the block when I got home.  7,800 steps = 6.24 km = 3.88 miles for the day.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited March 2013

Hi girls: Gosh, I have been gone a while.

Lots to catch up on, but I did catch- Happy Birthday Ruth and congrats on your retirement!! And Claire, have a GREAT trip!

I had some funky blood work a few weeks ago at the Onc. My RBC count was really low, like almost chemo low. Had a CT scan and a bone scan within a few days. Nothing. Met with the hematologist who felt that this was NOT cancer related, except in relation to a treatment side effect. However, with my history, they ordered a bone marrow biopsy, which l had on Friday, and will tell you was a WRETCHED experience. I found out Tuesday that there is no cancer in my bone marrow (yippee) but that I do have a rare anemia as a side effect of A/C, called Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. Very treatable, but chronic, though not life threatning.  Still, I have felt like CRAP, been in pain, and was not exercising and I did not want to bring anyone down.  So, I have not posted. :(

Then I realized, no one is going to judge you! We've all been through so much, who better to lean on for support? I can imagine the last few weeks might have been much easier! I am glad to say I have been to three days of yoga (my regular, vinyasa classes) and I am going to a yoga workshop from 1-7 tomorrow! Still tired, but gaining each day. See the hematologist on Tuesday to determine treatment. It's IV (new I should have kept the port) and I have to have it in the chemo room (the PTSD is almost too much to handle on that one). Luckily, it is once monthly for 6 months and a filgrastim shot every two weeks. It will likely resolve in that time and the treatment will cease unless I have another episode.

Hope all is well with all. Will try to catch up soon!! xo Missy

• badger
    edited March 2013

((Missy)) that does sound wretched, so sorry about your ordeal. 

We're here for you no matter what.  Welcome back!  ((hugs))

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited March 2013

Aww, misswim, that's cruddy that you had to go through that but I'll bet you're relieved to know what's going on.

Hi Cyndi!  I'm not so good with exercise DVD's but I like to just put on music and dance vigorously around the house.  It helps if nobody else is home :-)

50-some minute walk tonight.  I know I'm a lightweight but brrrr! it was chilly.  I think everyone else was hiding indoors tonight.  I hardly saw any other walkers/joggers.  Then did some hoop dancing with my spiffy new hoop.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2013

Collapsing in bed tonight after a week that was over long before I ran out of work.  But got the essentials out the door.  Plus did the minimum of exercise.  I did try on clothes so have a pile to pack for Maui.  Can't believe I leave in 4 days.

Misswim.....so sorry that you are stuck with ongoing anemia from AC.  That is the pits.

Just had the most delish dinner.  I was going to make fish, but then remembered the special bratwurst I had in the freezer.  From my trip to the Methow Valley where I chatted up the local butcher.  Well........these things are the real deal, plus got some German red cabbage and apples to have with.  Plus peas and some more of the Emmer farro I made a few days ago.  Feast for the gods, and washed down with wine.

I laughted when buying the "rotkraut" as also got some Irish butter as a treat.  I am incorrigible.  But may make some wholemeal soda bread.  Better get moving, but cycling, not skiing this weekend.  Too much work and too many things to do otherwise.

Envy all you ladies in the Northeast.  Major snow is just heaven if you ski.  However, shoveling does the job too.  Just not quite as fun.

Happy weekend......Maui in 4 days.  Off to bed. - Claire

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2013

Misswim, how horrible. I am so glad that it is "only" anemia, but what a bitch.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2013

Aww misswim, your anemia just sucks.  Sorry to hear what you've been going through  ((hugs))  We are here for you! 

Off for a trail run shortly, but disappointed that I've had no exercise the past 2 days  Undecided   My big project is looming larger, so many meetings and issues to take care of right now.   I also teach pilates 2 days a week, but have increased my teaching days the past few weeks to accomodate clients that don't fit into my schedule.  So I'm getting the short end of the stick.  sigh......  

WWRD??   (Love this!!)  

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited March 2013

((Misswim)) - Hope you start feeling better soon!

I have quite a few of Richard Simmons execerise videos (my favorite is "Dance your Pants off", which is kinda Disco-y!).  I also do a video called "The Macarena Workout" which keeps me moving.  I also enjoy the Zumba routines (I use my Wii for these).  And finally, for a full workout, I use the FIRM programs. 

You know over the last few months I have been finding it difficult to stay on track, but have kept up with walking.  The funny thing is that when I know I need the additional workouts (I try for 30 - 60 minutes of activity daily) and I don't 'feel' like it, I also think about Ruth and her handy dandy workout record keeping!   Surprised 

I can only imagine how quickly that little book will fill up each week when she retires!!  Congrats, Ruth!

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2013

Misswim- sorry to hear about your anemia, but glad you are back with your friends where you will always feel supported! Medical stuff is bad enough without having to go it alone.

Love the WWRD! She is quite the motivator. After our big snowfall this week, it is supposed to warm up a bit so as soon as I locate a clear sidewalk I am going out for a walk.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2013

Misswim - I'm so sorry!  You must have been so frightened as they were doing the tests to figure out what was going on.  I'm glad it's something that they can treat, although I don't envy you having to sit in the infusion room again. Cry My onc's scale is in the entryway to the infusion room - the first time I went in there, I felt such a violent wave of nausea that I almost had to sit down.  And I didn't even do my chemo there!  I hope the treatments go smoothly for you and this resolves it once and for all.

Today is rest day, so no exercise other than Declutter N Sculpt.  Making another run to the thrift shop today, then to the hardware store to get spackle and sandpaper and other painting prep supplies.  We might even look at a few colors to inspire us. 

Claire - Maui - mmmmmm!

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited March 2013

Misswim, I'm inspired by your yoga practice and hope the tx starting sorts it out for good.  Ann, I like the new image and your 'spiffy' new foldable hoop. Cocobean, carrying around your little one is a workout - hang in there and i think you are doing great.

Freestyle step and body balance yesterday and day off working out today.  Handweights and gym ball on tap for my Sunday excercise  and it's Mother's Day here tomorrow.  We don't change the clocks unitl March 31st.

Happy Saturday wonder women!

• Cocobean
    Cocobean Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2013

Thanks lilac!

misswim- I feel for you, that is a lot physically and mentally to deal with, hope the treatment goes well, and you are feeling better...lean on your support team and take care of yourself.

Made it to the gym today, 30 minutes of cardio, 30 minutes of strength training. I am happy to report that I am down a few pounds since finishing chemo (when I gained about 7 lbs.)...it's nice to see the scale move in that direction, but it's even better to feel good, strong, and healthy...the numbers are a bonus :)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited March 2013

Hello All! The company is gone. Very fun, but now I have alot of 'catch up' to do around here. Since I have my reputation to uphold (gulp!), I did 45 minutes on the treadmill & 45 minutes of toning with Denise before I opened up the computer.

Missy, of course, you should post!!! We are here 'for better or for worse'. To me, the exercise component is just an excuse to come here and hang out with good friends. Cool Thank goodness it is something treatable. I so understand the PTSD part, my stomach turns over if I have to just drive by the exit to the center where I did chemo. I feel sick even typing about it!

Cyndi, about DVDs. If you are just starting out, Richard Simmons DVDs have great, fun music. DWS has very good music too. But if you are at a more advanced level of fitness, you will find them too easy. Denise Austin has good workouts. The FIRM has great workouts, both are set to music, but more as a background. Some DVDs that might be good and more music centered are Zumba and Jazzercise (I haven't done Jazzercise in years but just googled it, and they are still in business). Also, you could buy or burn some music you like, put on your Walk Off the Pounds DVD, turn down the sound and use your own music as you work out to their moves.

Mary Louise, I loved Dance Your Pants Off too!

I will have to have more planned exercise once I retire, because I get about 8,000 steps in every day at work just chasing after kids!

Claire, I'm excited to hear about the beaches and food of Hawaii.....where all us winter-weary people wish we were going with you!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2013

Misswim, my heart goes out to you. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Lilac- Happy Mothers Day tomorrow.

Love the WWRD....Will need to use it to motivate myself since I clearly need to do arm exercises daily....Tongue Out

Claire- So envious of the Maui trip.. Enjoy every wonderful moment!

Did 6.5 miles this morning. Hoping to tone and lose a few pounds before swimsuit season..

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2013

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but my day wasn't quite up to par.

• i did view the new Proton Therapy/cyclotron  unit at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.  Amazing, and definitely the future for a large number of cancer patients.
    • Cycling was major bust.  Road bike has a flat, and I couldn't make my hybrid work as still sore in my right hand from the doofusitis attack where I landed on both hands.  Ouch.  I did try, but too busy and I was a hazard.  Just not easy enough getting on and off.
    • Spent the rest of the day WORKING.  Major drag, but good for $$$$$.  Plus, think more work from this particular person.
    • Still need to pack, but think I have that under control.
    • I have a meeting tomorrow, but think I can fit in a trip to a local bike shop plus ride.  Plus finish the work.  WHEW!!!
    • Made a list of everything else, including the car license plates due soon.  Fortunately, I don't need an emissions test this year and can renew online.  YAY!!!

Off to bed in a few.  I am beat, and need to be fresh as a daisy for the AM.  At least that is my plan.

Enjoy the first day of Daylight Savings Time!!! 

(I would love to be skiing right now.) - Claire

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited March 2013

Ruth I hope you can stand the pressure of being an inspiration to us :-)  Claire, better luck tomorrow and thanks for the DST reminder.

Three hour hoop dance workshop today.  It was fantabulous but I am pretty sore.  Lots of drills involving more leg and ab muscles than I normallly use.  My joints are a bit cranky as well.  Second session is tomorrow.  

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited March 2013

8 mile run this morning, then back and tris at the gym.  I was feeling it after Friday's intense Shovel & Sculpt workout.

Keep on moving, everyone.  The days are getting longer. Cool

• badger
    edited March 2013

Rained all day yesterday and stilll drizzling today.  Gloomy & cold, blech.  However, there are bulbs sprouting by the mailbox, can't tell yet if it's the daffodils or tulips.  I should go look at the snow crocus, they're purple & yellow and always cheer me up when I see them poking through the snow!

Yesterday, I got Feb. bookwork done then hit the indoor track and walked 6k = 3.73 mi. 

Did 30 mins of yoga this morning and will walk later but for now it's on to Laundry & Sculpt.

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited March 2013

missswim, I am glad you can do yoga and especially a "day" of it. I have found that yoga is my best friend and takes me out of BC every time. Now I am off yoga for awhile due my mx etc. but know it will be there when I can go back.

After a horrible day of nausea and vomiting on Friday (nausea in my estimation is much worse than pain) I took Gravol Friday evening and yesterday AM and managed a 3 k walk in the sun yesterday. Taking it easy today but hoping for a walk this afternoon.