Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2013

Bedo ~ sounds like you are off to a good start with less Ginger Ale and more walking! 

Did a 45 minute brisk walk with a girlfriend in our neighborhood park.  That makes 3 days in a row of 30+ min of exercise for me!  Hubby leaves tomorrow for a work trip so I'm not sure how long I'll keep this going but I'll try.

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited March 2013

Did some hooping drills yesterday, heading out for a walk today.  

Badger I love your mix tape-- especially Sweet Dreams.  

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited March 2013

I think Jane does have a new exercise DVD. (I have the tape she did when she was about 14!)

Of course you will keep it up, Nicole....otherwise THE VOICES will keep nagging at you Surprised.

Did Sculpt & Burn Body Blitz (cross training DVD) right away this morning. I had to get it in right away because I knew I would be eating like mad the rest of the day....it is my birthday and we celebrated with a bunch of friends at a wonderful Sunday Brunch at the nicest restaurant in town, had coffee with some girlfriends this afternoon, and are being taken out for supper by DS and his girlfriend. The predicted storm is now supposed to start after midnight. I brought a bunch of work home just in case I am housebound tomorrow.

Keep up the great work, everyone!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2013

Yes, badger, I have been hearing the voices and do move every day but still need to do much, much more.  Made it to the gym today after church and did an hour running in the pool and also have 3500+ steps on the pedometer.  Having trouble getting to the gym weeknights because it is so crowded.  At least next week we move the clocks so there will be more daylight after I get home and I can get out walking after work - YAY!  So then I will try to keep up with your steps.  This week will do my best.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2013

Oh, we posted together - Happy Birthday ruthbru!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited March 2013

Sun at last! I biked to yoga which felt so good. I hope to walk 5 k tomorrow and clean the main floor of ours house. I did the top yesterday~~spring cleaning but really getting ready to nest post op when I get home from surgery Wed.~~one night in hospital.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,856
    edited March 2013

Just a quick message:

Ruth: Happy Birthday! What a wonderful day you are having.

badger: Great video!

Mariane: I always nest at times like this. Good luck Wednesday. Keep us posted.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited March 2013

Happy Birthday Ruth!

Ann, see what you started?Wink

It's a new week for working out and I'm off to the gym for body step and pilates.

Have a good start to the week everyone!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2013

Happy (belated) birthday, Ruth!

That storm you are getting now will be here Tuesday, we may get a foot of snow!

Pulled out another old mix tape and walked 90 minutes yesterday afternoon.

10,142 steps = 8.11 km = 5.04 miles.  Cold but sunny & no wind so was enjoyable.

I like winter but am so looking forward to Spring. Cool

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited March 2013

Happy birthday, Ruth!  Good luck on the surgery, Marianne!

Insanity, Day 13, yesterday. My knees weren't hurting afterwards, so the long break from all the jumping was good. Will do kettlebells now, shower then bike to my onc appt.

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited March 2013

Happy belated Birthday Ruth!!  Sorry I missed it, but looks like you had a GREAT day!!

Now I am out the door for a walk!

Happy Monday!

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited March 2013

Not as active a weekend as I had hoped for, but did get some crunches and arm work in.  It was pretty dreary so didn't feel much like walking outside.  But I'm back on schedule to walk at lunctime at work, and today the sun is out (with a cold wind however).  Birds are making a lot of raquet in the morning and the suns angle is changing - really does a lot to improve our mood.  Had a skunk in the garage this weekend, so spring is coming!

Belated happy birthday Ruth!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2013

Claire - you and my onc are on the same page.  I switched oncs after active treatment, and the first time I did a consult with my current onc, she said she wanted me to do those same three things - exercise 30 minutes a day, maintain a normal weight, and take a baby aspirin.  She told me not to get all hung about stuff like soy and alcohol - she said just stick to those three things.  Last year she added a 4th - take a Vit D supplement, and she added a Vit D test to my routine bloodwork. 

Happy Birthday Ruth - sounds like you had a perfect day!  Cool

4 mile run yesterday, and 30 minutes yoga stretch and 15 minutes with the foam roller this morning. 

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2013

Ruth.....a reminder if you feel totally great on the day after your birthday, you didn't celebrate enough!!!  Hope you had the most wonderful one ever.

Busy week ahead, with lots of meetings.  Plus, stuff I need to get going on.  I lost a lot of time last week, so catch up, and getting the decks cleared for Maui.  Glad I have my terrific cut and color out of the way.

Mary....I also added in Vitamin D, but normal in Seattle as almost everyone is deficient.  You just can't get enough without suppplements.

Off to the races with a set of crunches.  I also need to research "who makes medical devices".  Plus let my research client I will be away most of next week.  Plus, get going on a couple of items, including slides for the 6 pm Board Training.

Exercise will be heading out to my 6 pm meeting a hour early.  That way, I spend the time doing a walk as opposed to sitting in traffic.  Works every time, and good for the body and soul. - Claire

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2013

Fantastic hour trail walk/run yesterday - it wasn't fast and it sure wasn't pretty, but it felt great.  Today I did the complete advanced pilates reformer routine, went down the list from my training days and did some oldies that I hadn't done in awhile.  I know that I will feel my abs tomorrow!

Happy Birthday, Ruth!  Marian Best to you on your surgery day.    heidihill  Wish that I could bike to my onc's office!   

NatsFan and Claire   I also take a baby aspirin every day, to reduce the chance of blood clots while on Tamoxifen.  Is there another reason to take baby aspirin?  

Happy Monday All ~

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2013

Joy, some studies have suggested that regular aspirin use may cut risk of recurrence.

• NatsFan
    edited March 2013

Some studies have associated cancers and recurrence with inflammatory factors.  Aspirin acts to reduce that low level inflammation.  http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/prevention/aspirin-cancer-prevention/Page1

• wonderland
    edited March 2013

Walked/ran at the park today for 30 minutes in clear skies at 53 degrees. Worked up a nice sweat.

Have a great evening!

• bedo
    bedo Member Posts: 1,429
    edited March 2013

Walked for 30 minutes today and still no ginger ale, only seltzer water. My daughter was brought me donuts and coffee before work 4 days in a row now.  I don't know how to ask her to just bring me a banana, as she buys these treats and seems to enjoy bringing them

• Cocobean
    Cocobean Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2013

After doing NOTHING over the weekend, geared up today and did an hour of cardio at the gym. feels good, gotta keep moving :)

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited March 2013

Two 5 k walks today in the sun~~last real walks for awhile but hope surgery does not keep me down for long.Smile

• ruthbru
    edited March 2013

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!. I had an present from Mother Nature today in the form of a SNOW DAY. (Nice to have a day off, but we will be sad on Easter Monday when we are in school making it up!) After hearing the 'school is cancelled' news, I went back to bed for an hour, did a bunch of paperwork, talked to my sister on the phone for a long time & tried to get ahead on the exercise as we are having company later in the week. Intersperced throughout the day I did FIRM Cardio Party, a spot toning DVD, and 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Here is a big announcement I want to let you all in on: after 38 years of teaching, I am going to retire at the end of the year. This was a hard decision for me because I love and enjoy my students, the people I work with, and the school where I work. But I've actually been considering it for a couple years, and things have come together in a way that make the timing right....there is a young teacher who is really excited to have my position (and whom I think will do a great job), I will be able to do some mentoring with her, I can sub as little or as much as I want (the kids without the paperwork and meetings!!), and DH has decided to retire himself at the end of the year no matter what I do....I am not nice enough to like the thought of me trudging off to work every day while he is eating bon bons (or whatever retired people do!). So once I get all my paperwork (which drives me crazy) done (maybe by May), I think I will be feeling very nostalgic!!!

• wonderland
    edited March 2013

Ruth: OMG! Congratulations! You and dh will have a GREAT time!!!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2013

Hopefully we will each mostly do our own thing, otherwise we will drive each other crazy!

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2013

marianelizabeth ~ Good luck with your surgery!

Ruth ~ Happy belated birthday and congrats on making such a big decision. I hope that deciding to retire at the end of the year helps you to let all the politics and many of the frustrations roll of your back in a way that makes the last 4 months feel more liberated than the last 38 years.

Got out and walked 30 minutes from my office to the bank and back at work today. Nice to fit my 30 minutes into the work day so that I could put my feet up for a 30 minute siesta after work/school pick ups.  Taxol is a pretty kind chemo, but I still tire pretty easily.

Be well.

• adagio
    adagio Member Posts: 713
    edited March 2013

Marian - good for you getting out in the sunshine for two walks. I walked the dog this morning and have felt crappy for the rest of the day - thanks to the taxol and neulasta combination - achiness all over the upper body, neck and jaws!! But I know it will pass.

I want to wish you all the best for your surgery tomorrow - I will be thinking of you and I am sure it will go just fine. Look forward to hearing how it goes. 

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2013

Congrats Ruth on this major step forward.  Wow....38 years!  Something to celebrate big time.

I got out and did a major walk prior to my board meeting.  Big surprise was seeing herons nesting in the trees!!  So spring must be on its way.

Glorious sunshine today, and so glad I got out and walked.  I got a major assignment with my long term client, but a new person there.  Great news, and so glad the lead from last week didn't work out.  A real lucky escape.  (I learned even more about this later, in case there was ever any doubt.)

My pillow is beckoning.  Tomorrow is another day. - Claire

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited March 2013

Been crazy around here and my laptop still playing up, last weekend I went out test driving new ones but I just can't seem to make up my mind, such crazy things stop me from plunking down the old credit cardTongue Out    

Firstly Happy Belated Birthday Ruth and congratulations on your decision, I know you've been pondering it for a while and seems like you'll have the best of both worlds and without the paperwork, yeahhhh. Marian best of luck with your surgery. Claire love your Joie de vivre. 

Well since last here I did Body Combat on thursday, rest day friday, saturday was half a Combat class and an hour of Spin, sunday my step class was replaced by Body Attack (kind of like PX90 all plyometrics but I did it all low impact) and then tonight another Spin class and right now it's almost midnight and I'm cooking a vegetable lasagne for office potluck lunch tomorrow.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2013

hi ladies and welcome adagio.  I took a snow day from work woo hoo!

Ruth, BIG NEWS thanks for sharing.  That was a hard decision to make, congrats!

marian, best wishes for surgery today, sending good thoughts to you and your doc.

bedo, that's sweet of your DD to bring coffee & donuts.  Maybe give her a buck and ask if she would mind getting you a banana too, you've had a hankering for one. Then she still gets to do you a favor and you get a non-donut option.

pat01, how's the wedding dress shopping going?  June is coming up fast.

Walked at lunchtime yesterday, logged 5001 steps = 4.0 km = 2.49 miles.

• NatsFan
    edited March 2013

Ruth - great news!!!  How wonderful for you and your dh.  My goodness, you can exercise when you want for however long you want - what a luxury that will be!  Marian - good luck today!  Cheryl - veggie lasagna - yum!

30 minutes strength training this morning - after many years of building up slowly because of my LE, I'm finally back to using 8 pound hand weights.  That felt good to pick up those suckers again - I haven't used them since I was dx.  4 mile run on tap for this afternoon.  We're meeting with a travel agent after work to start planning a trip this fall to England and Ireland - a combination celebration of our 30th anniversary and my 5 year b/c anniversary - it's a trip we've been thinking about for years.  This should be interesting!