Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited February 2013

Opted for a haircut last night instead of the gym, really needed a trim.  Did crunches and arm toning last night, and classical stretch this morning.  Feel good today, like I awoke some hibernating muscles.  It isn't raining now, but I bet by lunchtime it will be, so no walk again.  I haven't walked at lunchtime in weeks!  Looking forward to some better weather.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited February 2013

2 mile round trip walk to our favorite Mexican place last night - Cheryl, you know the place we went with you - Villa Maya.  I had margaritas and chips, but was good and only had the shrimp appetizer as my dinner so I didn't totally blow my calories.  We're regulars at this place so the owner usually sends over a mango cheesecake for dessert - I even let DH have most of it last night. 

30 minutes core workout with stability ball this morning.  The DVD has beginner and advanced moves.  I thought I had good core and leg strength, but on a couple of those exercises, I can't even finish the beginner set!  45 minute treadmill run on tap for tonight. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited February 2013

Too bad I didn't know about your sparkly dress beforehand, Cheryl, sounds perfect!

Claire, do you need to borrow a mumu for Hawaii?

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited February 2013

Ruth, you crack me up, too!

30 minutes with kettlebells. It was tough.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2013

Thanks for the offer Ruth, but am going with my two new articles of clothing.  The one with "tropical colors" is a new La Perla bra which I got for cheap on eBay.  The other is a Gucci v-neck T from the resale shop which shows off all the sculpting.

I have a black sexy summer skirt I got in December that I haven't worn yet.

Cheryl, agree that I dodged a bullet.  I got an earful last night from my former business partner.  Horrible day for her, and the woman literally screamed at her. 

I am thinking a new YSL lipstick.  I have sunscreen.  I looked at swimsuits on eBay, but found nothing super-fab and cheap, so will go with what I have.  I will see if Old Navy has espadrilles again this year.  They would be fab footwear.  My Clergerie sandals should fill that bill.

Plus call Valentine for a haircut.  I really need one now.  So wonderful to be at the point where I need a cut and not a "shaping".

I want to put everything in one carry-on.

Have to get ready and showered, and out the door.  Webinar is in a few hours.  So glad I am feeling half alive now.

The good news from this week is that not eating took off the excess calories consumed earlier this month, so should be svelte for Maui.

Have a great day everyone! - Claire

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited February 2013

A day of mostly sunshine, and tomorrow is forecasted to be even better and I am thrilled!  Got out for a brief 30 minute trail hike despite the muck - huffed and puffed up the hills and can feel that I haven't done it in awhile.  Tongue Out   Tomorrow is another hike with a group of friends, and then 2 hours of pilates teaching.  

No mumu for Claire in Maui - she'll look great in her new sexy stuff!  ruth  LOL about your dress up week.  cheryl   Love my English cuppa too, nothing else beats it.  

Gearing up for 2 visiting school athletes from Warsaw, and a weekend of watching swim meets.  

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited February 2013

Well Claire, if anyone can handle (with class) the shit hitting the fan with YSL lipstick no less, it's you!  Bought a bag of Kona Gold coffee yesterday, so I'll toast that to you in Maui (how cool!).Cool

Cheryl, if you ever run out - I'll send. PG Tips?

Cocobean, steady and doing good!

We had our first pink ribbon pilates class this morning and there were five of us women. It was so good, met some nice women and perhaps more to come along next week. Hope so.

• Cocobean
    Cocobean Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2013

Gentle yoga class this morning....in the the single digits now for radiation...only 9 more to go...the streching with yoga has been so good for the tightness in my armpit area...went out for sushi tonight, first time since pre-chemo...yum!

Lilac-great start to for the pilates class, I'm sure more will come along, it's sounds like such a great thing to do! 

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2013

Did another two and a half miles on the treadmill tonight.

Claire, I am envious of your Maui trip.. Hope you enjoy every minute!

Lilac, I would love to attend the pilates class as it sounds great. Wishing you huge success...

And Ruth,your schedule makes me tired...lol

Rest well my sculpted friends.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited March 2013

walked at lunchtime and did 30 mins yoga before supper.

logged 7,722 steps = 6.17 km = 3.84 miles for the day.

LB, glad for successful pilates class, did any of them hear you on the radio?

Mary, I think I forgot to tell you thanks but negative on the bobblehead.

patoo & misswim, do you hear Voices?  Kiss

• ruthbru
    edited March 2013

Lilac, I would so come to your class, sounds great!

45 minutes of Total Body Mix. The arms section before going back for (thankfully) the last high school basketball games of the season, and the legs/abs after I got home. My schedule makes me tired too!

Word of warning: if you wear a tiara made for an eight year old girl, you will have a headache at the end of the day! Tomorrow will be the quite delightful 'Wear Your Favorite Sport's Team'....sweatpants and sweatshirt time for me Smile.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited March 2013

Lilac - I did some pink ribbon pilates a few years ago -it was really nice to know that the instructor understood the needs of b/c survivors.  That's so great you can offer that to other women.  Coco - hooray for the single digit countdown.  Badger - thanks for letting me know about the bobblehead - I'll find some other Wisconsinite who would actually want a Paul Molitor bobblehead.  Cool  Odie - good for you for plugging away on the dreadmill.  Do you watch TV or listen to music to get you through?  Ruth - LOL on the too-small tiara! Today's theme sounds much more comfy!

45 minute run yesterday after work and 45 minutes on the elliptical this morning - the training schedule really gets grueling in March.  Thank heavens tomorrow is a rest day!  We're heading up to the cabin.  We may fire up the log splitter for a bit, but after all this exercise, that will be light work. 

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited March 2013

Cheryl and Lilac - PG tips, one of my favorite teas!  Our local grocery store carried it for a while but stopped - and it often appears in the food section in of all places job lot!  When I see it there I stock up.

Got a nice walk in at lunch yesterday after all - felt so marvelous to be walking outside again.  Nice sunny day here, so I expect a repeat walk at lunch.  Crunches last night, and some classical stretch this morning.  And my arms are still sore, right where all that flab hangs down - yay! May attempt a little wedding dress shopping this weekend...

• claire_in_seattle
    edited March 2013

Add me to the PG Tips list!!!  Got 2 large boxes yesterday.  Basically, I wouldn't be able to function without.

Back of arms is the right place to be hurting.  I am not quite as sculpted there as normal as still can't do triceps extensions (remember the wrists???.....healing, but not quite there yet).  But lifting my 10s again.  I had to use my 5s for awhile, and they just don't do the job.

I know they say you can't "spot reduce", but targeting upper body....particularly arms and shoulders....makes a huge difference in how clothes look, and also in how you stand.

As for walking outside, daffodils are out here, so spring must be on its way.  That said, still hoping for one more weekend of skiing, but most likely not this one.  Still digging out work wise, and think long walks will be more my speed this weekend.  When I get back from Maui, it will be early spiing and time for my bicycle again, with tulip fields not far behind.

Happy March everyone! - Claire

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited March 2013

Ann, are you out there(?)..thinking of you and come say Hi.Wink  Nicole, great that you are feeling more on the beam and Cocobean, so cool of 9 to go, your tightness releasing a bit and eating my fave - sushi! Odie, Badger, Ruth and Mary, I'd love it if we all worked out together and thank you for the positive support.  Claire (wings of steel) with Cheryl and Pat off for a PG Tips cuppa, Joy, back to back teaching this weekend? Heidihill slinging kettleballs and  Patoo stepping steady count with Wonderland staying good!

Freestyle step today at the warm gym for me and wishing everyone a terrific Friday!

LB, x

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited March 2013

LilacBlue, I've been hiding because I've been a LAZY ASS.  I've been doing a bit of haphazard hooping and at least 2 days last week of BIG NOTHING.  But it's time to step it up!  I'm hearing the voices!

I know I need to prioritize the exercise to earlier in the day so it won't end up competing with fatigue and nap attacks later.  What with rads I look truly lovely while exercising now-- a big old men's t-shirt, a sports bra over that, with a washcloth tucked in the sports bra for extra boob protection on one side.  Feels great, looks ridiculous!  Regardless I am getting out there today.  

• badger
    edited March 2013

Ann, the older I get, the more I care about how I feel versus how I look.

And I believe wholeheartedly in the healing power of naps!  Cool

Walked at lunchtime and again after work for 8,065 steps = 6.45 km = 4 miles

Sending out a friendly Voice to anyone needing a nudge.  Kiss

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2013

It's nice to feel resolve and persistence rising!  Today I did both the stairs up to my office and a brisk 30 minute walk with my 16 year old giggly, autistic daughter (a delightful walking partner) after she came home from school. Giving myself a little gold star for that once since what I really wanted to do was lay down on the couch for a sweet 30 minute siesta.  Having to buy a bigger size work pants due to chemo weight creep is certainly a motivator, but it is really the easing of SE's switching from AC to Taxol that makes it possible.

The January chemo list ladies have been talking a lot about the research showing reduced recurrence among breast cancer survivors who exercise 3 - 5 hours a week.  I used to do 2 hours before diagnosis and I am working on a commitment to 3 hours/week.  Spring is coming so if I can add in regular afternoon walks, it's doable.  Resolve and persistence, baby.  That's what I'll need!

• badger
    edited March 2013

Nicole, if you (or anyone) needs motivation, check out the video in this article!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/01/11/toronto-viral-video-doctor-health.html

Thanks to Mary Louise for sharing this last year!

• ruthbru
    edited March 2013

Yes, exercise is a HUGE key to 'adding years to your life, and life to your years'!!!

Ann,I think that anyone who is working out looks really and truly lovely...no matter what your size, shape, or apparel, as long as you are out there working it, you are beautiful in my book!

An hour plus on the treadmill. Good Grief, I may be in for more Shovel and Sculpt, a big snow storm is predicted for Sunday Cry!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited March 2013

I was dragging a lot less during Taxol too, Nicole.  I think Daylight Savings Time is only one week off, so much easier to get in longer walks.  Plus, for me, finally learn to run.

Not doing any of this today, as still not 100% from the stomach flu.  I want to be over this nonsense, so I can enjoy Maui.  So walking this weekend, and perhaps something long and fun tomorrow.  Today, it's errands including a haircut.  Next weekend, I have meetings, so no skiing, but should be able to fit in cycling.

Badger.....loved the video the first time I saw it. 

Three years ago, I was trying to figure out what I needed to do post treatment.  That is, what would be the high payback items.  Two are closely connected, and the third comes out of research that was published just about that time:

1. Exercise
    2. Keep a normal weight (I still have a BMI over 25, but mostly because I am so muscled)
    3. Aspirin, at least one baby aspirin daily

As I love to eat, I need a lot of the first to make the second work.  I also looked at wine, and decided that since a zero-sum game between breast cancer vs other causes, I would continue to enjoy one of the great pleasures in my life.

Exercise-wise, I try to do things that are either super-effective and/or bring me joy.  So lots of exercise outside, and then endurance events so that I train.  These give me bragging rights too (not in the face of those stronger and swifter than I am...but I am past that).

Other reasons to exercise:

• Complexion looks fab
    • Clothers fit great....and you can wear the "fitted" ones
    • Brain is in tip top shape
    • Libido stays cranked up
    • You can wear the great shoes (unless you have foot/ankle injuries)
    • Your bones stay in shape
    • Your posture is great
    • You can DO THINGS.....walk up and look at the sunset, swim across the lake, go snorkeling, crawl under the furniture, load your own car, chase your dog around the house on all fours, see the amazing frozen world called winter
    • And finally, you can rock those curves!

Does anyone still need voices????? - Claire

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited March 2013

Badger - Still live by that video!

3 or 4 years ago, My Mom and I started walking every week day in the morning.  We still try to get at least 30 minutes daily, but usually try for 50 minutes which is usually 5 km.  My Mom is going to be 80 next year and she gets around very well, is still smart as a whip too! 

Then I saw the above posted video, and along with this thread over the years have added an additional 30 to 45 minutes of something when I get home.  Now, I regulary enjoy the FIRM workout videos, Zumba on the Wii, Wii Fit, 30 day Shred, the treadmill and an exercise video called "the Macarena Workout".  Even tried out the C25K workout until I lost my Ipod to keep me motivated!! 

The point of all of this is that I find that the stuff that I like to do (as Claire said earlier), is the stuff that I find I look forward to doing! I make sure to alternate cardio and weight days to work something different every day. And, I find that I am feeling pretty good! 

NOW, I need to get back on the loseit.com site. I have finally received my ooph surgery date - a month away - and would like to lose a little before then!

Thank you to all my Sculpted Sisters for keeping me motivated for the past few YEARS!  I don't post as often as I used to, but I do usually check in regularly! 

Adding my "voice" to anyone who needs some prodding!  Happy Week End All!

• badger
    edited March 2013

Heard the Voices myself today and heeded them.  Had walked to the grocery store & back, put stuff away, then went out for another hour.  Found an old mix tape and walked it all.  Side one has Phil Collins: Sussudio; Aretha Franklin: Freeway of Love; then some Eurythmics: This is the House, Sweet Dreams, Right by your Side, and The Walk.  My legs just kept going to the beat, love that strong feeling. 

10,501 steps = 8.4 km = 5.22 miles Cool

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited March 2013

Just got my active link from weight watchers anyone else try it yet? 

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 2013

Definitely in need of the voices here...

• nicole503
    nicole503 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2013

badger ~ Thanks so much for sharing that video.  It DOES give me a lot of food for thought!  What an excellent compilation of so much research so fast (and so entertainingly!) So glad I got to see it AFTER AC and at the beginning of spring. Seeing the benefits of walking are almost as great as aerobic exercise makes it feel possible to make 3 - 5 hours/week.  You have added fuel to the fire of my motivation, and I thank you! Laughing

Claire_in_Seattle ~ Thank you for posting so thoughtfully about your choices for how you wanted to live post treatment. I'm still a ways away from that "post treatment" milestone, but I really appreciated reading about your thoughts, especially re: alcohol.  My cancer was strongly ER+.  I haven't even really wanted wine with dinner since chemo started, but I imagine that desire will return and I'm thinking about how to balance pleasures that have some risk with a life that eliminates risk (as much as possible) but also some of life's sweetness.

Did 2.5 miles on the elliptical at the community center while DD#3 did swim team.  Felt as close to my pre-treatment self as I've felt in a long time. SmileSmileSmile

• ruthbru
    edited March 2013

Oh my gosh, we are all so AWESOME!!!! Cool

40 minutes old FIRM scuplting tape (yes, tape), and 30 minutes on the treadmill. In honor of you all, I will go down and do 15 more minutes.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited March 2013

We are awesome!!  Very inspiring posts here - love Claire's choices on how she does it.  

Ginger48   Here's one Voice giving you a gentle nudge ~  

This morning woke up to the most gorgeous day - sunny clear skies and mid-40's!   I'm off for a trail run - wooohooo!  

• claire_in_seattle
    edited March 2013

Thank you ladies!  I didn't drink during chemo as thought my liver had enough work to do.  But held a Global Virtual Wine Party three weeks later to kick off my new life going forward.

I try sense and reason here.  Exercise is the really big one.  It would be the big one even if I hadn't had a trip through breast cancer.

I did about three miles of walking yesterday.  New YSL coral lipstick for Maui, plus eyeliner.  Then, got a fab new haircut from my man, Valentine.  I love the way things look now.  I did realize yesterday is that the look I am going for is "youthful and hip", but in no way do I want to look as if I am trying to look young.  Major distinction.

They gave me a funny look in Nordstrom when I asked about espadrilles.  I wil pass on them and wear flats.  Think an eBay item to get what I want and need.  We are still in winter here, so I went next door to Nordstrom Rack and got some heavy tights and socks which I may remove in July.

After the haircut, I went to the wine bar to use up my "one glass credit".  Ended up talking to a guy who used to live in my building who recognized me.  He was there with his fiance.  They were joined by one of the winemakers who was there with his lady.  So two couples in love, one in their mid 30s and another about 30 years older.

I caught up too with the server who had been in NYC with the Pacific Northwest Ballet (orchestra) before she left for the evening to play with the Seattle Symphony.  I got the scoop on the after party on Oysters and Wine Nite.  So not the only one "immoderate" that evening.  Brought the remaining two bottles of the case I purchased home with me.  (Much better to spend the money on WINE than shipping.)

So a fun evening, and ready for work today.  I will do a long walk, but still need rest as a busy week ahead, particularly Monday evening.  I did learn that most people with this drag for more than a week.

On to coloring my hair to go with the fab cut!  If it stays sunny, I may have a cup of coffee/cocoa outside as a reward for my walk.   Hmmmmmmm.  That would really be great, and one of the things I really love about Seattle. - Claire

• bedo
    bedo Member Posts: 1,429
    edited March 2013

OK, so I didn't do so well as a start.  But, I have cut out Ginger Ale, which I was addicted to for some reason (way too much) and switched to Selzer water especially pomegranate.  And I have started walking.  I will add more as it gets warmer.  Old habits are hard to break, but I'm trying. I'm going kind of slow. I'm going to buy a scale this week.  I don't care so much for organized excercise, but in the summer everyone here kayaks all the time and bikes plus I like horseback riding. After a few weeks I will pick up some videos.  I do remember really liking a Jane Fonda one a million years ago and wonder if she has a new one? It would help, while it's still cold.