Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Texas

Options

Comments

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    edited March 2012
    Options

Stacie,

I also had Dr. Brian and Dr. Heistein - loved them both!  My dx is similar to yours, except grade 2.  I had a unilateral mastectomy (left side) and TE.  Glad that's over with now.  I am almost 5 years out.  My onc is Dr. Lea Krekow - awesome doc as well.  

Trish

• txmomof2
    txmomof2 Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2012
    Options

I'm so glad to hear you liked the drs!  I will having Dr. Krekow too.  This is who my Mom had too.  And I'm very happy to hear that you're 5 years out!!  Did you have chemo?  If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you were diagnosed? 

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    edited March 2012
    Options

Nope - no Chemo for me.  My oncotypedx was 12 so it was decided that I did not need chemo.  I did received rads (26 reg and 9 boosts) due to bad margins.  I had a breast full of DCIS That was why I had the mx.  They found 8mm invasive afterwards in the path.  I was 43 when dx'd.  No family history - it was a shock.  I was on Tamoxifen for 3 years and am on Arimidex now (had TAH-BSO in December 2009)  I am doing well. 

Trish

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited March 2012
    Options

Welcome to all the new gals to the thread.  glad we have an active thread here.

• Cherilynn64
    Cherilynn64 Member Posts: 156
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi ladies,

I'm a native of Dallas, 3rd generation Texan. My parents moved us starting when I was 8 1/2 and we mived all over the country every year. I currently live in the Phoenix area where I have lived twice before (we moved a LOT).

I was planning on moving back to Texas by the start of 2012 for personal reasons....very bad breakip situation with a guy who I thought was my closest friend. We were not dating, we were friends for years, then more than friends but not romantic for 1 year, then back to friends. Turns out he was cheating, was with 3 of us, lied for the entire 3 1/2 yrs of our relationship, he has psychological problems, and he's in the local media so people know who he is. I was diagnosied by two psychologists with PTSD from the situation and it got really, really bad for me so that I realized my only way to live would be to move out of state. I had been contemplating my native state for a long time, so this situation pushed me to moving sooner than later.

The completely unexpected breakup was on June 5. Seven months to the day, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The day in Dec I was getting the ultrasound and mammogram and being told I would have to have a biopsy (all this from no cancer history of any kind on either side of the family), the 3rd girl he was secretly seeing emailed me out of the blue (no idea how she got my email address - assuming he showed her my past emails and somehow she also had my phone number and home address) - she wanted to rid herself of her guilt in the hand she played in what caused our friendship to break up (she was also lied to, so I don't hold her accountable for everything, but there are things she was guilty of). She wanted to do this before New Years so she could go in to the new year with a clear conscience and in her words, no pain. Needless to say I'm sitting there in the waiting room waiting on the doctor about the ultrasound and scheduling a biopsy, I'm single and going through all this alone, and while I'm waiting I look at my phone and see I have an email and see this from her. It's been a tough year.

So.....I have not decided where to move to in Texas. I was born in Dallas at Baylor hospital. We lived in Carrollton and Plano. I have distant family all over east texas. I have considered everywhere from Austin to Dallas, Tyler to Houston. Little towns, bigger towns.....but now I have to add in to the mix good oncology care. I also must live somewhere with a facility that has 3D mammography. The breast surgeon, rad onc, and med onc all want me to stay 1 to 3 years for follow up...I cannot stay that long. Psychologically I won't make it. I will aim for one year, so I'd like to move say around Jan 2013 or just after. Any input from this group would be welcome as to good facilities since you all have obviously and sadly been through this as have I, 3D mammo center (as long as I'm within say one hour drive), where are now good places to live in TX, the not good places....we left in 1973 when I was 8 1/2 and then we moved back in 1977 for a year and left in Nov 1978. So I have not been back since.

Help? Smile 

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited March 2012
    Options

I love San Antonio, of course. What kind of line of work are you in? Southwest Airlines just expanded here and are hiring 300 people you have to apply on line.

I don't know about 3d mammo, but we are 3 hours from Houston, a doable day drive and back if needed.  I have a FABULOUS surgeon and MO.  My surgeon and his associates only operating on cancerous or precancerous tumors.  His bed side manner is wonderful, and very understanding.

My MO Dr. Sharon Wilks is amazing!!!!!!!!!! She is part of the Cancer Care Centers, her clinic as infusion, and down the hall is radiation.  And the staff is always sooo nice.

If you decide on SA let me know.  I'll get you on the right side of town etc. or one of the smaller communities around. Welcome to the thread! 

• Sherryc
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cherilynn you have had a year that is for sure.  My favorite parts of Texas is between San Antonio and Austin.  San Antonio is a major medical hub and there are several places that do the 3D mammography.  I have heard great things about Dr. Wilks not only from Gina but from some others.  I use Dr. Zweibach in New Braunfels which is between SA and Austin.  He is a great Dr. and also with Cancer Care Centers of South Texas.  They also offer radiation but I had did not get hooked up with them until after radiation.  My RO was Dr. Scott Lawson in New Braunfels and he is a wonderful Dr., but he believes that once he is finished with you no need to continue follow ups if you are following up with your MO unless you have a problem and then he wants to see you.  Nice to be able to cut out some Dr visits.  Gina' surgeons are top notch.  I have mixed feelings about my BS in NB she is very good surgeon but does not believe in MX, which is the problem I have with her and found that frustrating.  If I was OK with the lumpectomy I would be fine continuing to see her.  But we did not see eye to eye.  The towns betwee SA and Austin are New Braunfels, San Marcos, Kyle and Buda.  You can google them they are great areas to live.  All on IH 35.  Good Luck with your decision and keep us posted.

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cherilynn:

As a transplanted Texan, I can echo Sherry and Gina.  The San Antonio/Austin areas are great.  We each have found our favorite medical providers and that attests to the many options available.  I live north of San Antonio and am enjoying the Hill Country.   

Jana 

• silvercr33
    silvercr33 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Options

I'm from Longview, Texas! Sitting chemo chair right now at UTSW!

• Cherilynn64
    edited March 2012
    Options

Wow, thank you all!

I'll start backwards from the replies:

Silver, my dad was born in Overton and raised there and Kilgore until they moved to the Panhandle. I organized the first reunion for my dad's family back in 2004 in Longview. Never had been there before - I still have a great aunt in Hendeson and some relatives in Athens but have never met any of them. UTSW - OK, good to know!

Ted and other Sherry and Gina: I have considered the Hill Country, too. My uncle and aunt moved to Fredericksburg after he retired from Nasa. My aunt's family (aunt by marriage) are native to that town since its founding. Went there in June for my cousin's wedding.....5 days after the disaterous breakup mentioned in my post. Sadly I have hardly any memory of the trip as the trauma of the sitaution in June has left me with huge gaping black holes of memory loss between Jun-Sept. The wedding was in Wimberley and I stayed at a hotel in Buda (and went to a jazzercise class there which is the exercise I do and just started back on last week post lumpectomy/radiation). I drove through San Marcos and I think Kyle and I have a 2nd cousin in New Braunfels but did not see her. Even if I did I would not remember it, LOL.

So far sounds like great medical all over the area....thank you! This is so helpful! I just need to now sit and start narrowing down places. I'm a pharmacist and have worked mail order and hospital and long term care. So employment won't be an issues, we're always on overtime. I have kitties so a great veterinarian is a must. Some of my other desires are for a town with a community choir and community band which are my outside of work activities. I also am Catholic and sing in church choir and am looking for parishes that sing Gregorian chant which is what we sing. The old stuff that I missed out on being born during Vatican 2 and all. What's old is new again! So I was looking at places on City-Data.com and getting ideas and doing my own online research as I was desperately trying to leave here (had already looked in to renting out my house)....and then stupid cancer hit. But that's ok, now I have more time to narrow things down, and all of you have already been so helpful.....thank you!

I'll check in from time to time :-) 

• Sherryc
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cheri---Gina should be able to help out with the church stuff as she is Catholic as well.  I attend a non demoninational church so I am not as familiar with the Catholic Church.  And Gina is in to music.

• Cherilynn64
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thank you Sherry with an S  ;-)   (I always get the S spelling so I always say my name is Cheri with a C. And if I move back to Texas it will be Cheri Lynn of course,,,,back to the double names my dad's family all use!)

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi Stacie. My name is Stacie too. I don't see it spelled that way very often.

• Ceeztheday
    edited March 2012
    Options

I am in south, south, south, south Texas on South Padre Island, only 24 miles from the border.

• Ceeztheday
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sometimes I get behind on posts, so if a Texas get-together gets scheduled, will someone please message me. Thanks so much!

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    edited March 2012
    Options

April or May will work for me...2nd weekend in April I will be at casting for recovery (fly fishing weekend for BC womean that SherryC told me about and I got in!)in Boerne and the 1st week in May I have to be in NYC for work (looking forward to that- a few bc.org women in the area are coming to the city to meet up- will be thrilling) but any other time i am in like flynn:)

I would love to meet up again...I am gonna stuff Jo in my car after we meet up in San Antonio:) We planon doing the whole Thelma and Lousie thing short of driving off a cliff...

i gotta say this houston weather is ANNOYING me this week...from 80 and sunnylast weekend to cold and 50 today----flowers will love it but UGH

• Stacie
    Stacie Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2012
    Options

My surgeon is Dr Allen he did a wonderful job on my LX and AND. The incisions are bruised now but i can tell they're going to look okay. Dr Adams is probably going to be my oncologist.

• newksmom100
    newksmom100 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hey ladies, Just found this thread and would like to jump in and say hi.  I'm in San Antonio, transplanted 25 years ago from Colorado.  Like so many in this area we were a military family.  I just finished radiation this past Tuesday and begin Tamaoxifen in about 10 days.  Real mixed feelings about that. 

Everyone take care and have a good weekend.  - Julie

• Stacie
    Stacie Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi Stacie.  You are right about the spelling.  Can't buy a coffee cup or trinket spelled right, gotta custom make anything with my name on it.  But I was named after a Drug Store LOL.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited March 2012
    Options

Welcome Julie - Sorry we have to meet this way.  Gina is also in San Antonio and I bet you two could meet up on a regular basis.  I would also like to suggest you jump over to the "Bottle O' Tamoxifen" thread.  There you will find a lot of good information about Tammy and you can ask all the questions you want.  Alot of us Texas girls are on that thread.

Annette -  You don't have to stuff me in your car - I will go peacefully - LOL!  Remember I am bringing the scarves and big sunglasses.

• beergirl
    beergirl Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi ladies, I'm in TX too - near Katy. I'm probably the oldest one here - 69.

• annettek
    edited March 2012
    Options

but I WANT to stuff ya in there:) hahahahaha

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited March 2012
    Options

Annette -  OKAY!!!  LOL!

• Sherryc
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cherilynn wha is funny is my name is Sherry Lynn, LOL

beergirl welcome to the thread

Julie welcome as well I am not far from SA, I have Doctors there.

Annette so glad you are getting to go to Casting For Recovery.  I worked the boothe at a trade show a couple of weeks ago and it was fun to see the other girls.  I got picked as an alternate for the greeting in Boerne so it does not look like I'll get to see you there.  I hope you have as good a time as I did on my weekend.  I told Susan to take care of my good crazy friend Annette.

• annettek
    edited March 2012
    Options

I am really excited....I need to do something so out of character to just recharge...and fly-fishing fits the bill:) I just went in back yard an dplanted three plants- 2 flowering and a berry bush- I am full of mud as it is raining but feel oddly clean:) My dad was right, getting your hands dirty through a little hard work is a good thing for the soul.

• Sherryc
    edited March 2012
    Options

annettek your Dad was right that is why I love gardening so much.  It is good for the soul

• Cherilynn64
    edited March 2012
    Options

Wish I could move back to Texas today as I had planned on doing before stupid cancer diagnosed on Jan 6. Warning: long rant ahead from a red headed Texan, lol:

Found out last night after work that the guy who is the reason I'm having to move out of state...the one who was lying and cheating....he got engaged on new years. He's known her 8 months. They "officially" dated 7 mos and he proprosed. He announced it on his radio show on Jan 3. I got the cancer diagnosis on Jan 6. Wow.....I spent all last night crying, sobbing, and throwing up from nothing medically related. Went to church after not sleeping to sing in my church choir at Mass. Had to leave during the homily as I started crying right there up in front of the entire church. Made it to the end then started crying after in front of my entire choir.

He was, I thought, my closest friend. We shared everything for 3 1/2 yrs. We had another type relationship for exactly one year, but we ended that and went back to being friends. He called me over on Jun 5 to tell me "everything" he'd been keeping from me. He didn't. I had to drag it out of him. And then I found out everything that he didn't tell me later on her twitter feed. And this is what I got the PTSD from. 

I already told some of this in my intro post. I just can't believe it.....she emails me out of the blue, someone I don't known, on the day I'm getting the ultrasound to release her guilt before new years. I guess so that's she'd be guilt free for getting a ring after dating a man 7 mos who was involved with 2 other women at the time he was already dating her unofficially. And he has zero guilt. He proposes to her.....and I get cancer.

I'm really struggling with everything in my life. This last 8 months....I've never seen anything like it. I found out in an odd way....I have to stay off local radio and local TV bc of who he is, so I don't go on twitter anymore from the PTSD that causes and I can't look up the station's website or his show's facebook page...I can't see how happy they are. Well I had signed up to volunteer at a local cancer group that is for single moms. I'm not a mother but being single I want to help single women going through this. And I liked the group on facbeook and I was checking out other pages the group likes to see about other volunteering. Turns out she is the page administrator of one of the linked groups....and right there I saw his name and his show sponsoring some shindig and that it said fiance....I fell over and just sat there and stared. I cannot believe it. 7 months after he breaks up with his other girlfriend and 7 months after I walk away 4 days later from all the lies......and 7 months after they "officially" start dating, they're engaged? And I get cancer the same week????

God please help me because I am sitting here alone dealing with all of this.....and he's got the perfect life. And nether of them ever got back to me when I let them know about the cancer. Well now I know why...why bother with someone you said meant so much to you that you lied to for 3 1/2 years to when you just got engaged 5 days before after knowing each other just over half a year? Of course.....

I have yet to eat today....I just drove after church, ended up at the cancer shrine, prayed for every person there and filled out cards for them, came home...and I haven't moved off the couch. The friends I emailed have not gotten back t me. One friend thankfully did talk to me last night for 2 hours till 2am God bless her, but she and no one else knows what I'm going through.

Every night I take a pill to hopefully help this cancer from never coming back but reminds me every night that I had cancer. Every morning after showering I put on aloe vera gel over 2 surgery scars and my internal radiation scar that reminds me I had cancer. And no one but people on these forums understand what that's like. And I'm supposed to be happy that it was "only" stage 1 and I don't need chemo. And trust me, I am. But I still had CANCER. Alone. By myself. And he cheats and lies and he gets the perfect wife and perfect life and has discarded me to deal with this without him. I was his FRIEND since Feb 2008.....and I tried to stay that. And he let me walk this alone.

Therapist is gone for 2 weeks and earliest I can get in is March 24. Thank you for letting me get this out. I don't know what else to do. I appreciate you all listening. 

Cheri in AZ......and God I hope very soon somewhere in TX 

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited March 2012
    Options

Gina- 300 ppl for SA? Or dallas? My friend's husband works for them and they love the company- everytime we check to see if they are hiring it just seems Dallas only

We are itching to get back up to San Antonio!

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cheri- that is so typical of these selfish guys- no guilt whatsoever, and how wonderful of her to feel the need to unburden herself to you when you dont need it.

I agree that San Antonio is a hub for medical care. I get my treatments there even though i live nearly 3 hours south.

One thing that cancer feeds on is stress and if you can get some stress relief from moving down here than go for it girl! 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,163
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cheri:  Yup - it's men (or some of them & I apologize to those who have supported their wives, girlfriends & friends).  I finally emailed my "best friend" (a guy) on my one year anniversary of BMX after hearing nothing for the entire year and said "hey I'm not contagious".  His answer - gee I've been so busy - call me sometime & we'll have lunch.  Yeah sure.  Let it go girlfriend.  I know how much you're hurting, but some guys just aren't worth it.  Sorry you have to be dealing with this guy & BC at the same time.  You're worth more than a brush off.  Treat yourself to something you would really like.  I know, I know - but not with him.  Healthy steps in another direction...