Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Texas

Options

Comments

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited March 2012
    Options

...speaking of spring break, it has been wild on South Padre Island! Tonight is the last hurrah for Texas week and we locals cannot wait until tomorrow afternoon!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited March 2012
    Options

Ceeztheday - Hoping you have an uneventful night.

• Cherilynn64
    Cherilynn64 Member Posts: 156
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sagina what a beautiful photo!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!

• Stacie
    Stacie Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2012
    Options

I would appreciate a metroplex meet up. I am in Arlington. Perhaps Main Street Grapevine as a central point.

• Ceeztheday
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thanks Jo. Fortunately, everything went quite well on Saturday night and now we can relax a bit!

• jo1955
    edited March 2012
    Options

Ceeztheday - Now we watch the Winter Texans leave and head back to the north.  Then we can really relax.

• Ceeztheday
    edited March 2012
    Options

Too true sister!

• Cherilynn64
    edited March 2012
    Options

Y'all are nice. Here in Phoenix we call them Snowbirds and to get the hell out already, LOL. We want our streets back without the crazy snowbirds driving like they do. Always amazes me year after year....you want to go to them "the green light here means the exact same thing as it does wherever you come from, and no, turning right from the far left lane is not acceptable either. Nor is driving 35mph pointing at all the sights when the speed limit is 50mph."

Aw, crap, I was so young when I left Texas, I didn't know I'd have to deal with snowbirds there too when I move back....sheesh..... 

• jo1955
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cherilynn64 - Here in Texas we call them Winter Texans - they are insulted if you call them Snowbirds.  Depends on where you live in Texas if you have to deal with them or not.  I know from San Antonio down to the Rio Grande Valley.  Heck, I am in the valley and they overtake us in the winter months.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited March 2012
    Options

Txstardust....I'm in SA, I'll meet with you for lunch on a weekend or dinner any day! 

Jo, I don't think we have many winter Texans here....I think they just pass through on their way to you! 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited March 2012
    Options

I use to live in Rockport and we had tons of Winter Texas there.  I think they like to stick to the coastal areas and the valley

• jo1955
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sherry - They do like the coastal areas and of course the valley.  This place seems like a different planet when they come.  We love to see them come and equally excited when it is time to go home.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi Texas Gals, boy I have missed a lot.  I love the Texas wildflowers.  Spring Break is over and I did not get out except a day excursion to Waxahachie.  I would love to meet the North Dallas gals and I plan on going to SA sometime this summer.  Have not been out much in the past few years but iching for a nice long girly weekend sometime real soon.

• Flintviolet
    Flintviolet Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2012
    Options

So far it looks like Stacie and walker2222 are up for a meeting of the DFW area girls...any other takers?? Stacie mentioned Grapevine? I' m good with that...I am in the Carrollton area!

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited March 2012
    Options

I have seen a lot of blue bonnets driving between san antonio and here (alice) on 281, also on hwy 16 there were quite a few.

Cheri- Anyone who lives a double life like that with seemingly no remorse or thought of the other people they are hurting def isnt "norm" in the mind. My sister is a socialpath to the T. I know it the way my mom raised her, but sometimes being around her creeps me out. She is an AWFUL parent and i have called CPS on her (long story) she still only thinks of herself

• texasrose361
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cheri- speaking of snowbirds- we by far do NOT have as many as the Phoenix area (i have lived both in phoenix and buckeye) Well.... maybe Jo does LOL but i am just a stones throw from her and dont deal as much with them as i did back in AZ!

Come on they even have their own CITIES- Sun City to name one! 

• Cherilynn64
    edited March 2012
    Options

TexasRose (love the id name btw), yeah, my parents moved over to Sun City WEST (we have TWO Sun Cities here for the love of God) after living in Scottsdale. I'm in Fountain Hills which is essentially part of N Scottsdale. Snowbirds DO take over here like crazy. In my suburb we count down to April when they start flying away. From October-April all you see is Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, Colorado, Iowa, Nebraska.....there are days literally I don't see an Arizona plate in the parking lot!

Jo - we call 'em Snowbirds and we don't care if we're insulting them, HA! I should be nice...I know it's good for the local economy. But OMG their driving.....

Flintviolet - I was born in Carrollton! Well I was born in Baylor hospital, but Carrollton was where we first lived. The house was built brand new on Crockett Drive and my parents tell me it was finished the day I was born. So I always refer to it as "my house." I had a great early childhood there. We left when I was 8 1/2 and just kept moving cross country every year.

Did I tell the story in here about how a school in California put my siblings and I in speech therapy because they thought our accents were atrocious? My dad was born in east Texas in Overton (near Kilgore/Longview) then around age 10 they moved way out to the Panhandle. So he then finished growing up in Borger, TX. His parents were both born in Oklahoma but went to Texas early on....both from east Texas (Henderson). So my dad's parents both had a mix of Okie/East TX accent, my dad and his brother had a mix of E and W TX accents, so we kids sort of had the mishmash E and W TX accents. Apparently this did not sit well with this particular school. Who would want to rid kids of a good TX accent anyways? Sheesh.

Even though it's been decades, you all are seriously getting me jazzed to move back to Texas. Not that I'm glad any of us got cancer, but I AM glad that I met all you wonderful Texas ladies :-)

• jo1955
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cherilynn - Go ahead and insult them all you want.  They driving is terrible.  Not only do we call them Winter Texans but really whether they are Winter  Texans or Snowbirds they are just a bunch of Recycled Teenagers - LOL!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited March 2012
    Options

I used to do business in in Phoenix actually Chandler and Apache Junction.  I remember the winters driving out there and all the snobirds.  Can't believe how many RV parks there are in the Phoenix area.

Walker-Cuz you can come see me any time if you need a weekend away.  I'm sure we could spend some time on geneology.

Cherilynn that is funny that they wanted to rid you of your accent.  They just did not know how to appreciate it.

• Stacie
    edited March 2012
    Options

Walker222 and Flintviolet,

I am up for a meet up maybe one evening for dinner next week?

• Flintviolet
    Flintviolet Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sounds good to me...not sure what nights are good for you guys. Next week I am open W, Th, Friday?!

• Stacie
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thursday would work for me...how about you Walker222?

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sherry thinking of you, ready to climb in your pocket for Monday.

• jo1955
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sherry - Ready for the pocket party on Monday.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• texasrose361
    edited March 2012
    Options

So funny because when i go back to the NorthWest where all my family lives they are like "your kids sound like this and that" LOL yeah my kids are born and raised here in TX and my only peeve is when they say "share" instead of "chair" or many of the similar mix ups that we have here in south tx. 

• jo1955
    edited March 2012
    Options

Good Morning Texas Gals - I talked to Sherry this morning and she is doing well.  Surgery was about 4 1/2 hours and she is in some pain but managing with meds.  If she had lived in SA she would be going home today - since she lives an hour away she will be going home tomorrow.  She had many visitors yesterday and her mom and DH are staying at a hotel in SA so they can spend lots of time with her.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hey JoJo when you talk to her again give her my love:)

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited March 2012
    Options

Mine too please Jo! 

Love to all you Texas girls!   Chrissy

• jo1955
    edited March 2012
    Options

Will do Anettee & Chrissy.  I hope to talk to her again later this evening.

In 3 weeks it will be my turn for recon surgery on April 18th.  It sure will be here before I know it. 

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2012
    Options

Mine as well...

Jo, where is your surgery? Mine is May 7 in San Antonio.

Jana