Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Texas

Options

Comments

• friscosmom
    friscosmom Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2010
    Options

KristyAnn - what is the neratinib trial, it that for HER2+? You'll have to let us know how the DIEP goes. I had considered bilateral mastectomy and was considering DIEP if I did. I ended up just doing the lumpectomy but if I ever have reoccurance I'll be doing the mast and will likely do the DIEP. It sounds like it could be more recovery time than implants but also seems to be a better long term solution. Best of luck with the trial and surgery.

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited July 2010
    Options

i live in the corpus christi area (alice) but am choosing to have my treatment in San Antonio because thats where all my family lives and i have a great support system there with family and friends :) (i need help with my 2 young kids) if there ever is a meeting in San Antonio I'M THERE! pm me :)

• frankandfernsmom
    frankandfernsmom Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I live in Del Rio. I travel to Houston (MDA) every two months for tests and new treatment options.  Thought there would be way more people from TEXAS!!!

• Deanna67
    Deanna67 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Ladies, very new here and I live in Kingwood, Texas.....30 min NE of Houston!!

• texasrose361
    edited October 2010
    Options

Seems cuz tx is such a large state we are all spread out everywhere....

ANYONE INTRESTED IN MEETING IN SAN ANTONIO????

• annla
    annla Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi, I am from Austin. I have lived here since I started at UT as a Freshman in 1970.

I have Invasive Lobular Stage 2a Estrogen/Progesterone +, No lymph nodes Just had rt breast mastectomy with reconstruction 2 weeks ago. Waiting for my Onco Type DX Score to come back. I am scared about the future, but knowing that you are all from Texas and surviving, well maybe I can also. 

It is a beautiful day today.

• texasrose361
    edited October 2010
    Options

Annla- You WILL survive! I am only bout 4 hours south of you and yes BEAUTIFUL is an understatement! Did y'all get a cold front a few days ago? We did but i guess its moved on cuz its warming up again!

• Lmflynn
    Lmflynn Member Posts: 273
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hi fellow TEXANS~  Just joining this thread.... can't believe also that there isn't a huge thread for our big state.  I'm in the Houston area living close to Memorial Park.  Being treated at The Methodist with chemo right now....their new facility is gorgeous and comfortable private rooms .. using the Penguin Cold Caps -- still have all my hair halfway through.  This site has been so helpful and supportive through this process --- tons and tons of information, support and connections when most needed.

Would love to help this thread grow!  Hope everyone is having a great weekend .. the weather here is GORGEOUS! 

• nancyinaustin
    nancyinaustin Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Options

hi, fellow Astinites!  I think I spotted 3 or 4 of you in previous posts.  I am 65, single (have been posting in the one singles board), dx 2/3/10, aggressive invasive ductal estrogen positive Stage IIB, 3.5 cm tumor, chemo, surgery (lumpectomy & sigmoid biopsy, 2 addtl  lymph nodes, not sure of the terms for the rest of my "stats", took TAC infusions, after rads, taking Anastrazole once a day every day for 5 years!  Yikes!!  According to onc/surgeon/rad doctor, prognosis good, vitals & blood count was good right through. 

I am curious about something----I also visited the Stage II board, noticed just about everyone seems to have had mastectomy, Elizabeth Edwards seems to have very close to the same diag as me, the cancer recurred & she passed away----should I get mastectomy???  None of the doctors or nurses ever suggested it; I have a friend with what I have, 43 yrsold, she didn't have mastectomy, she seems to be doing great, she take that 5-year pill, too.

m

• saturn
    saturn Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2010
    Options

I am in Austin too!  Who else is out there?  I'm out near Lake Travis... 

Just recently diagnosed and ready to move forward.  Anyone at Tx Oncology?  I will most likely be going there for rad in January.  Just waiting for Braca and Oncotype to confirm the best treatment for me.  If you're in Austin send me a PM and we can meet up!

• Lmflynn
    edited December 2010
    Options

So glad a few people have responded......  Would love to see a whole Texas string!  Anyone in Houston?? 

• txstardust
    txstardust Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2010
    Options

I'm checking in again from San Antonio.  Glad to see a little activity over here.

Nancy, studies show that survival rates are essentially the same for mastectomy vs. lumpectomy and radiation.  I am stage 2b, and had the lumpectomy.  I see no reason to remove healthy parts of my body, but that's a very personal choice.  I must say I questioned myself last month, when I found a new lump...but it turned out to be fat necrosis, an artifact from the surgery, a benign condition.  

How is everyone celebrating the holidays? 

• katymom
    katymom Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2010
    Options

I live in the Houston-Katy area......It is always nice to hear from others who live in the same region.  I'm three years out from my chemo/radiation.  ER+, HER2+...........would love to hear from others in the area!

• dfwgal
    dfwgal Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hi all!  I am from DFW area. Just completed my Left Mast with Diep. Some may think it extreme to just jump to removing the boob, but I like knowing I won't have to worry anymore on that side. Once the full reconstruction is done, I think I will buy a summer top and strut around like a peacock saying Yes.. you too can look this good after BC. :)

Hugs to all.

• Lmflynn
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hi Texas gals!  Sending this to BUMP again in the threads.

I'm in the Houston area -- almost thourgh chemo -- 1 left!!!! had a double mx and LD flap as this was a recurrence a year after initial and radiation.... can't wait for my exchange and finishing of recon.  Probably end of March. 

DFW gal -- grew up in Dallas -- all family is there.. my sister and mom went through BC in Dallas 15 years apart and used same surgeon .. great BC resources there and more established BS than in Hosuton which totally surprised me.  It was hard for me to find a dedicated BS in Houston. Although we have great medical care here.

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    edited January 2011
    Options

Ladies,

Although this is not a call for a get together, I wanted to let those in Texas know about pending legislation.

I would like to inform you of a bill introduced into the Texas State Legislature that, if passed, would require your doctor to inform you if you have dense breasts when you have your mammogram. 

Here is a link to a copy of the introduced bill  http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/82R/billtext/html/HB00834I.htm

Here is link to the House and Senate page to look up your State representative and State Senator -  just put in your zip code

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Zip.aspx

Please contact your representative and get him or her to support this piece of legistlation.  

Hugs to all!

Trish 

• anetnut
    anetnut Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hello ladies, I'm in Stephenville, an hour SW of Ft. Worth. I went to Ft. Worth for my chemo, then had surgery there end of November and just finished rads in Weatherford at the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. It would be nice to have a get together sometime, but sounds like we are spread out from all over the state. Nice to 'meet' fellow Texans! 

• saturn
    saturn Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi anetnut-- welcome! I'm in Austin. Glad to have you here with us Texas babes. We may be all spread around the state but we're close together here! If you make it down this way let me know and we can always try to meet up somewhere.

• anetnut
    anetnut Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thanks Saturn! If I'm going to get down that way I'll holler at you! :)

• txstardust
    txstardust Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2011
    Options

I'm not that far away from Austin - if you do plan on meeting up sometime, be sure to let me know, I'd love to join in!

• texaslonghorn31
    texaslonghorn31 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    Options

Just now chiming in on this thread!

I am in Austin! If you can't tell by my screen name! LOL

Diagnosed last July.... DCIS.... lumpectomy and 33 sessions or RADS I did at Texas Oncology. Finished up treatment in Oct so am about 6 months out. Would love to get to know more fab women in the Austin area that have been or are going through breast cancer. I have great friends and family but am the first one special enough to get cancer. LOL. So they don't always understand what I am going through. Glad to be done with treatment... have crappy side effects though still. Looking forward to meeting more folks on here!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited April 2011
    Options

Just came across this thread.  I live in deep South Texas way down by Brownsville.  I am in Donna.

Diagnosed Aug 20, 2010 with IDC, no chemo, 30 Rads and Tamox for 5 years.  Married 37 years and have no children.  My husband and I were both in the Air Force for 20 years.  He retired in 1990 - I retired in 1996.  Both have second careers as managers of a "Winter Texan" park for people 55+ years.   

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited April 2011
    Options

I ladies just found this thread and I live in Gonzales an hour west of san Antonio and an hour south of Austin. I am 48 years old. Went to college in Tyler and San Marcos. Then lived in Rockport, boerne and back to Gonzales where I grew up. Since this is a Texas thread does anyone out there know what is special about Gonzales in Texas History???

• jo1955
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Sherry - We seem to be finding each other on new threads tonight.

Gonzales - Site of the first skirmish of Texas Revolution in 1831. 

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hey Jo yes we do.  We must like the same things.  And yes you are correct.  Gonzales was where the first shot of the Texas Independance took place against Mexico. 

• jo1955
    edited April 2011
    Options

Do I get the prize for being correct?  hehehe  Guess that is what I get for living in San Antonio for 10 years.  Maybe this is a thread we can get really going again.  We should let the girls on some of the other threads know this one is here.  I never realized there was a Texas thread until recently.  Hey!  Maybe we can do a get together or something somtime. What do you think?

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011
    Options

Jo I think that would be fun to get everyone together.  I will have to think up a prize.  And I have to say I am impressed that you knew the answer since you did not grow up in Texas and have to take Texas History in school.  Heck many people who were raised in Texas and have had Texas History don't know the answer.

• jo1955
    edited April 2011
    Options

Sherry - I did take some college courses in Texas.  I took an anthropology course that focused a lot on historic places such as Fredricksburg, Kerrville, the Hill Country and other places in and around San Antonio.  It was a fun course.

• jo1955
    edited April 2011
    Options

Okay! I know Texas is a big state but where are all you Texas gals hiding?

• ajones120961
    ajones120961 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hello Lady's!

I'm in the Dallas area  (actually a little town called Palmer). Glad to see we have aTexas thread.  Anyone unhappy with their with the appearance of their implants?