Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Texas

Options

Comments

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited April 2011
    Options

ajones I will have to look Palmer up not familiar with it.  I had a lumpectomy so no experience with implants. Sorry  How long have you had them?

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited April 2011
    Options

ajones - I am curious too as to where Palmer is.  I am like Sherry, had lumpectomy, so no experience.  Maybe someone else will chime in and help.

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited April 2011
    Options

I am an Okie now living in the Hill Country. My cancer treatment and reconstruction was on the North shore of New Orleans. I have several more procedures in New Orleans.

I proudly display my OSU orange......

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011
    Options

tedwilliams-center point is a very pretty place.  I use to live in Boerne

• jo1955
    edited April 2011
    Options

I am racking my little pea brain.  I have heard of Center Point but exactly where is it?

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited April 2011
    Options

I've been on these forums since diagnosis but didn't notice the regional thread till just now.

I'm in Georgetown, about 25 miles north of Austin.  I travel down to MDA for treatment.  Hello to everyone.

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Lian and welcome.  I am from Gonzales an hour south of Austin and I traveled to New Braunfels for my treatments.  All my Dr's are in New Braunfels.

• texaslonghorn31
    texaslonghorn31 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    Options

I do all my stuff in Austin.... my oncologists are at Texas Oncology..... love them!

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011
    Options

Texaslonghorn my SIL went to Texas Oncology in Austin and she loved her Dr. there as well

• saturn
    saturn Member Posts: 52
    edited April 2011
    Options

I went to TX Oncology in Austin (on Balcones) and thought they were fantastic too!

• jo1955
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hubby and I have the same oncologist and we use Texas Oncology - can't say enough good things about them.  

• tracie23
    tracie23 Member Posts: 214
    edited April 2011
    Options

I am so happy to see a  Texas thread.... I am in Houston .. I am so happy to see all of you !!! I hope everyone had a great Easter?

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011
    Options

Happy Easter all you Texas women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jo1955
    edited April 2011
    Options

Glad to see this thread going again.

Happy Easter to Everyone in the Lone Star State. 

• NormaJean65
    NormaJean65 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2011
    Options

My Goodness............sure is a lot of us gals in Texas with bc.  Makes me wonder what the percentages are for TX and other states. 

Glad to see a place for all of us to exchange info, especially with individuals that may be local to us.

Have a great weekend coming up.

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011
    Options

Norma Jean it does make you wonder.  And seems like my little county has lots of cancer of all types.  told my mother I think she better not drink the water.

• NormaJean65
    edited April 2011
    Options

Sherryc

I have only been in Texas the last 14 yrs. but I noticed I heard more about people having cancer when I moved here.  I am originally from Indiana where it does not appear to be as common.  I only drink bottled water but then end up worrying about the plastic bottle !!  I might add my DH whose has never been sickly or if he got a cold could take OTC meds, fill up on fluids and be ready to go to work the next day.  He also has an "uncommon" kind of leukemia called Hairy Cell.  Scratching my head over this one !!!!  Or is it that once you hit that 60 y/o mark we all start to fall apart.  My BS told me that the "kind" of bc that I had was what you see in women my age !!   What??  Didn't know specific bc was linked to certain age groups.  Oh well, just the same we are all in this boat together !!

• KristyAnn
    KristyAnn Member Posts: 131
    edited April 2011
    Options

Im in East Texas- Lindale/Tyler area

• supersally
    supersally Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2011
    Options

I live in Plano, just outside DFW in metroplex.  I also use TX Oncology.  My PS is John Antonetti and BS is Dr. Alison Laidley.  Love all my docs! 

First I've seen this thread as well, but glad to have a more regional connection on the boards.

• Sherryc
    edited April 2011
    Options

Kristyann I went to TJC and was an Apache Bell back in 1980 & 1981. Love east texas

• NormaJean65
    edited May 2011
    Options

Good Morning !!

Is there any one from the west Houston or Katy area that can recommend a BS & Onco doctor.   My BS has gone to another hospital and now being the director of the Breast Ctr. I doubt she will be doing surgery.

• livinglarge
    livinglarge Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2011
    Options

This is the first time I found a site for Texas.  There has got to be another woman in Dallas Texas that has BC.  Anyone out there????

• livinglarge
    livinglarge Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2011
    Options

Supersally - unbelievable that you are the first person I seen that is even close to me.  Highland Village (just north of Flower Mound).  Texas Onc downtown Dallas.  

• Sherryc
    edited June 2011
    Options

livinglarge I am about 5 hours south of you but I have seen others from the Dallas area on the different threads.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited June 2011
    Options

I'm in San Antonio - just found this thread - hello everyone!

NormaJean ~ I know of another man, right now, with Hairy Cell.  He lives just south of San Antonio.

For the record - seven women in my neighborhood have been diagnosed with breast cancer in the last two years - younger than me (41) and my eldest neighbor at 80....weird huh?

Someone asked me where I live when they heard this and I told them on a nuclear waste dump apparently...I do live real close to an air force base.....

• Sherryc
    edited June 2011
    Options

Gina that is wild that so many people in your neighborhood have had BC.  I live in Gonzales and there is all kinds of cancer here.  I am beginning to think it is in our water.

• supersally
    supersally Member Posts: 158
    edited June 2011
    Options

Livinglarge - I know where you live!  I keep my horse in Bartonville.  I love HV shopping, very convenient.  Flower Mound is nice, too.  If my job weren't by the Galleria, DH's at Lover's & Preston, and DD's school in Addison, we'd love to live in your neighborhood.  You are going to Baylor downtown?  All mine are at Medical City, love them.  My MO, sometimes, says weird stuff and he and the BS aren't the best at small talk, but that's not what I go to them for.  I LOVE my PS, he's great all around.  And yes, I agree, no other Dallas girls on here it seems, or not posting on this thread anyway.

• sanbar8771
    sanbar8771 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2011
    Options

HEYYYYYY TEXAS!!! I don't live there but my Mother does and I am coming out to do the Rock and Roll San Antonio 1/2 marathon Nov 13th. Any takers?? Susan G Komen, marathon for the cure is sponsoring. PM me if you are interested in doing the race. It would be so much fun and I would love to meet some wonderful Texas survivors. :)

• NormaJean65
    edited June 2011
    Options

Sagina.........

I have had people once they hear the DH & myself have had cancer of some sort within months of each other ask "where do you live??"  Our house is about 35 yrs old so I don't have a clue what use to be here other than farm land that still exists in the surrounding area.  We don't drink or cook with water that hasn't been filtered and drinking only bottled water.  Oh well, we have been here in this area west of Houston 14yrs. with no hope of moving back to the northern part of the midwest. 

BC has invaded my life but I refuse to let it control the remainder of my life.  There's an old saying that "ignorance is bliss" and for me that is what I want b/c otherwise it will steal the joy, peace and calm of the rest of my life.  Eight to nine months after mastectomy & only a couple of months after the last of the harsh chemo I got out and painted all the trim on our house twice.  Many things got left undone when all the drs. appts., surgery and chemo started and was still waiting for me this past spring. 

Best advice to all of you is to not stress over the blood work, try to eat well (I don't always meet that goal) and find some calm & happiness.  One of the best lessons I learned going through chemo is that there is a huge difference between quality & quantity of life.  I prefer quality with my family especially with my only grandchild.  I refuse to let all this "follow up" mess steal my joy !!

Now I will step down from my soap box & be quietly lurking. Smile

• Sherryc
    edited June 2011
    Options

sanbar I have a friend who does alot of marathons she may be running in the one in SA as we only live an hour away.  Stay in touch there are several from the SA area on the boards maybe we can come and support you for your run.

Norma jean do you live around Katy or where abouts in the Houston area.  I live 2 1/2 hours west of Houston off of IH10