Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Texas

Options

Comments

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited August 2011
    Options

bumping to keep this thread alive and going so people can find us.

• NormaJean65
    NormaJean65 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello from Katy............been absent for a while but I have an unbelievable reason.  I am keeping my eye on the goal line, one more Herceptin on this Thurs.  Ooops, what's this?  Oh!  I have a blood clot in my jugular vein...........port has quit working.  Really????

Pulling the port tomorrow, getting the last infusion the "old fashion way" via IV in hand.  But in the meantime giving myself injectables called Arixtra.  After port is pulled, I will be on oral blood thinners for the next 6 mons.  Another Venous Doppler @ about 3 mons.  AND we were to leave on vacation this coming Sunday.  Grrrrrrr.............

Does this EVER end????????

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited August 2011
    Options

NormaJean - I did not have chemo so I can not imagine what you are going through.  I do know I can send a big hug and prayers that things get better for you.

• NormaJean65
    edited August 2011
    Options
    thank you Jo.........the onc told me I made it to the finish line, but I "fell over it" !!!  I just feel like I can't get away from all of "this".  At least I have their permission to leave for the Smokies on Sun. for a short vacation w/ DH, DD (RN), and best of all my grandson...............it's either that or I am opting for a pink slip to the rubber room.  Laughing
  • jo1955
    edited August 2011
    Options

NormaJean - Have a great time on your mini vacation - you most certainly deserve it.

Hope you can join some of us Texas gals in San Antonio the last weekend of Sept.  One of our sisters is coming all the way from Australia.  This is going to be one great get together and will give us a chance to meet each other in person.  Let me know if you can come - either myself or Sherry will keep posting deals on this thread. 

• NormaJean65
    edited August 2011
    Options

Jo, I will do just that.  Do you have a date nailed down yet?  Where is everyone staying.  Can I bring hubby?

Gotta run.........not too long before I have to start getting ready for the dr. appt.  Trying to get some shorts hemmed for the trip.  Woman's work is never done !!!

• jo1955
    edited August 2011
    Options
    NormaJean - I think most of us will be gathering in San Antonio the last Friday in Sept (I don't have my calendar in front of me) and will be doing the get together on Saturday.  Can you bring hubby - of course you can.  Mine is staying behind and letting me go play with the girls for the weekend.  It will be a nice break from work and him - LOL.  I know Chrissy is staying somewhere close to the airport.  Don't have anything firm from her yet.  Sherry has go graciously invited me to stay with her.  Sagina lives in San Antonio and can help some get hotel rooms.   She is going to find us a place to meet and perhaps hotels rooms can be found close by.  Still have a ways to go but will keep everyone updated.
  • NormaJean65
    edited August 2011
    Options

Jo, the only reason I asked about DH was b/c he has been wanting to go after I told him about this little jazz joint on the Riverwalk.  The last time I was there & stayed at the Drury on the Riverwalk.  At that time their prices weren't bad and especially if you group up in rooms, and also ask for a block of rooms what their rates would be.  If it would fall on a weekend that DD works I won't be able to go.  I am not sure where we are right now in the schedule but they do make the schedule up in 6 wk blocks of time so in order to get a certain day/days off it has to be done well in advance. There are two Drurys within a block or two of each other........I will see if I can find the link for the correct one. 

I am one happy, hot (not in the sexy way), and relieved Texas chick today.............last chemo!!!!!

• jo1955
    edited August 2011
    Options

NormaJean - Big congrats on finishing chemo - you must be so relieved.

For the SA get together, it will be Oct 1 which is a Sat.  Hope you can make it. 

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jo thanks for the PM and all the info.  I just want you all to know, I'm at your service! I wish I had a large home that could acommadate everyone...I have an ity bity one....

The two Drury's on the riverwalk (downtown SA) run $150 to $190 plus parking 14 or $19 per day.

The Holiday Inn that Chrissy is staying at by the airpoirt is $85-$190 depending when you book or when you book and pay no refund cheapest, etc.

The Holiday inn is close to the airport and very close to a new commerical development about a mile away with a Draft House Theater (eat, drink, and watch a movie), many restaurants, shopping etc, across from North Star Mall where the big cowboy boots are.

Of course the riverwalk has all the main chain eateries and bars too. We have some out of the way places to eat, places the food network has visited etc.

Jo let me know which direction we are going and I'll get all the research done! 

• Sherryc
    edited August 2011
    Options

Norma Jean congrats on finishing Chemo.

sagina thanks for working on this.  I can't wait to meet everyone.  Where is the Draft House Theater?  Is it close to the Quarry Market?  I had not heard of it.  just curious.

• jo1955
    edited August 2011
    Options

I have not heard of the Draft House either.  I know where  North Star Mall is and the Quarry Market.

Ladies - we are going to have to put our heads together and come up with some ideas for Gina to look at. Please post them here and we can sort this out as we go.  We do have plenty of time but don't want to wait too long - the day will be here before we all know it.

Thanks Gina for helping us with this - you are a doll. 

• sagina
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi everyone.  the theater is called the Alamo Draft House.  there is one on the far west side of town by Lackland AFB, but this one is across San Pedro from North star mall.  If you remember the mall then you might remember Central Park Mall across the way? where the sears is? Well the sears is still there but everything else was leveled and there's a large shopping complex there.  The Quarry is just south of the airport (very close as well).  the newest development is The Rim and La Cantera (open air shopping centers by fiesta Texas. 

• jo1955
    edited August 2011
    Options

Gina - I am familar with all the areas you are talking about.  I used to live close to Lackland AFB when I was still in the Air Force and worked at Wilford Hall Medical Center.  

I think it may be fun to meet somewhere on the Riverwalk.  We could take the boat ride and of course Rivercenter Mall is there.  Then there is the Alamo and some other things in the area.  We would spend an entire day in  the downtown area.  Oh! LaVillita is a cool place to go to.

Just some thoughts here.  I would like to see what others say - maybe Sherry could toss in some ideas. 

• Sherryc
    edited August 2011
    Options

There is so much to do down town we could stay busy.  And the Margaritas at Mi Tiera's aren't bad either.

• TexasKaren
    TexasKaren Member Posts: 151
    edited August 2011
    Options

Wow... .can't believe I just found this TEXAS thread.  I had tried to search for members from Texas, but you can't do it.  They should have a search for state function, I think.

I live in Sweetwater.... quite a ways from SA or Houston.   But, I'm glad to find ya'll !!   If anyone is from way out here in west Texas, give me a holler !

Your get together in October sounds great, unfortunately, I have a retreat in Hunt to go to ... but maybe next time !

• Sherryc
    edited August 2011
    Options

Welcome Karen, not from West Texas but my DS and DIL live in San Angelo does that count. Sorry you won't make the get together I think it will be great fun.

• TexasKaren
    TexasKaren Member Posts: 151
    edited August 2011
    Options

Sherryc:  Yes, SA is just down the road.. and it's a great little town.   Yes, it does sound fun, and I'll be thinking of all of you !

• jo1955
    edited August 2011
    Options

Welcome TexasKaren - I live in deep south Texas close to the Mexican border in a town called Donna.  I am about 4 1/2 hours south of San Antonio.  Glad you found us and sorry you won't be able to join us.  It is going to be so fun.

• sagina
    edited August 2011
    Options

Agreed, downtown is has the most to do - bring tennis shoes - parking at Rivercenter mall puts us right at one of the boat ticket booths in the lagoon of the mall.  The ride is $8 a person, $6 for military or seniors (60+) as per the website.  The boat tour is about 40 minutes long with a guide giving the history.  My DH used to be a tour guide and is a retired firefighter so he knows all the streets and the riverwalk well - he can be our compass!  (if other DHs come).

Close to the mall is the Alamo (bet they never thought that would happen 100 years ago! Near the Alamo is a Fudruckers for burgers, Shilo's is near (great german food, best split pea soup ever), of course every hotel has a bar and food too. Casa del Rio is the most famous with the colorful umbrellas in every post card - but the riverwalk has every kind of food, moderate to expensive.

If we chose to eat on the riverwalk I recommend finding a place that will take a reservation.  Normal Saturdays after six the wait can be over an hour easy.

Near the alamo there is a wax museum, Ripley's believe or not, and lots of little shopping stores.  There is a children's museum not too far from there, the buckhorn saloon etc.  Of course each has their own entrance fees.

As we get a better picture of ages and how many we can go from there.

I'm so lucky you are all coming this way.  We have a beautiful town and lots to see and do.  If you're going to book a hotel and want to know what side of town you are landing on please ask me.  We have over a million people here and like other urban areas some are just safer than others.

• Sherryc
    edited August 2011
    Options

Gina thanks so much for being the tour guide

• jo1955
    edited August 2011
    Options

Gina - Thanks for the information.  I used to live in SA but have been away for the past 12 years.  We do come up on occassion.  In fact, we will be in SA starting this Fri and leaving Mon.  We are attending a convention and we will be very busy.

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hey all - found you!

• jo1955
    edited August 2011
    Options

vhshea - So glad you found us.  We are planning a get together the first Saturday in Oct in San Antonio.  Can you join us?  Let me know.

• Sherryc
    edited August 2011
    Options

Bumping for Texasrose

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442
    edited August 2011
    Options

Gals with all the traveling I have done lately for my dad and with my DS in marching band again I will not be able to go to SA but would have loved too.

TexasKaren, I am in the north Dallas area, you are just a day trip from me.  Are there any outlite malls between us we could meet?  Or I could just take a road trip on a Sat. and meet up with you.  It would have to be after marching season though.

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I'm in Hurst - right in the middle of the DFW metroplex.  Glad to see this thread active again.

Trish

• Sherryc
    edited August 2011
    Options

prayrv we are having a Texas get together in San Antonio on the weekend of Oct 1st.  We will post details on when and where on this thread.  Hope you can make it.

• virokie
    virokie Member Posts: 63
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi Y'all,

It is nice to find this sight.  I live in Cedar Park a suburb of Austin but I was born and raised in Dallas and my heart is in Tyler.  So, it is exciting to hear from people from all of these places.

I don't post much so let me see.  A little about myself:  I was dx with DCIS on Feb. 15th.  It was something that we had been watching for years, like we had been waiting for something to happen.  I say "WE"  actually I didn't have a clue.  It was hard to get me in every year and I moved several times in the pass 8 years.  But, when all my mammograms and biopsy's finally showed up together at BS, well "they" had been watching.  I actually had had DCIS five years ago but they were able to remove it with a biopsy.  I didn't know that. I was just told biopsy turned out fine.  Regardless, I was still lucky we caught it early and I decided on bmx since obviously this was more than I was willing to keep on top of and so far everything has been pretty good.  I hated the drains.  The T.E.'s are not too bad.  I'm just confused about what I really want as far as implants and that is coming up soon.  I guess I was kind of hoping to slide under the wire with out too many complications and just get on with my life but the reality is hitting.  I am starting to Panic.  I have found EC and will post all the information when I get it from my PS.  So that's where I stand with bc.  I am lucky I know it.

I do think it might be the water.  My Dad just got dx with prostrate cancer and he had his prostrate taken out over 15 yrs. ago when he 1st had prostrate cancer.  Maybe its like bs and the cells move to different areas.  I don't know.  I haven't gotten a chance to get to Dallas to sort it out for him yet.  Oh, and two of my long time best friends have died of cancer in the pass eight year- one from leukemia and one from colon cancer.  Oh man, these people were all in Dallas.  I will not tell you were the Dallas water comes from but I'm betting you already know, funny it actually taste pretty good even knowing where it comes from.

Glad you Ladies are here, I hope it rains before your Sept. or Oct. San Antonio get together.

Vickie   

• Sherryc
    edited August 2011
    Options

Vickie glad to have on the boards.  I live in Gonzales about 1 1/2 hours from Cedar Park.  I too love Tyler, I went to College there and was an Apache Belle. Seems way too many people have cancer around here as well and I swear it is the water. Hope you can make the San Antonio get together.