Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Texas

Options

Comments

• NormaJean65
    NormaJean65 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2011
    Options

Yes...........Sherryc............We live in Katy about 5 blocks south of I-10.  Our daughter & grandson live almost directly south of us on the next street.   Our son (while alive) lived in SA.  He passed away suddenly almost eight yrs ago the night of his 32nd birthday of a massive coronary.............thus grandson is named after his uncle.

Loving the rain this morning !!!  Yea.........won't have to drag out the sprinklers again for a couple of days !! 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited June 2011
    Options

Norma sorry to hear about your son, I lost my son 16 years ago.  It is a rotten club to belong too.  But having dealt with those emotions, I think I have handled the bc pretty well considering I seem to have if it will go wrong it will.  And I am loving the rain.  When the thunder woke me up last night at first I was are you kidding me I have to go to work in the morning and then I realized it was raining so I was like thank you Jesus! 

• NormaJean65
    NormaJean65 Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2011
    Options

Sherryc..............

sometimes it feels like that is the only kind of clubs (rotten ones) God gives me.  At least I know He is preparing me for something but geeeez, have you looked at my shoulders lately ?? Innocent

Without going back through the posts, where did you say you live ?  I saw a couple of others posts that they were in Houston, but seems they only posted once or twice. 

• Sherryc
    edited June 2011
    Options

Norma Jean i live in Gonzales, it is 2 1/2 hours west of Houston off of IH10.  First shot of the Texas Independance if you know your Texas History.  Pretty little town with lots of history to it.  I was born in Houston.  My Dad's family was from there, my moms Dad's family is from Gonzales and her moms family from Houston. There were all from the Heights.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited June 2011
    Options

Sanbar~don't know if you've done a rock and roll one before in sa, but the music at every turn is great.  I don't think I will be in any shape to even walk the route, the half one, but I would love love love to meet you the day before if you're spending the night or after ward for breakfast or lunch.

Normajean no lurking!!! You have wonderful insight!

• txstardust
    txstardust Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi everyone!

I've considered doing the SA Rock and Roll, but haven't been able to commit to a training schedule for any length of time.  I think I need to start smaller - maybe a few 5Ks, then a 10K, etc. etc.  If y'all do decide to meet up, I'd love to come along (I live here in SA).

At least in November (that when the marathon is if I remember correctly?), it won't be as blasted, horribly hot as it has been lately. 

• sanbar8771
    sanbar8771 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2011
    Options

Sagina,

Yes, I have done every Rock and roll since the first one I think in 07 or 08. I didnt do the race last year because I was going through chemo and didnt have the energy to walk. It is my goal to do this race again. It is great because the RNR in SA has the marathon for the cure series which benefits the susan G komen. So it is like the 3-day or 5k series but with marathons or 1/2's.

Yes I would love to meet with you ladies. My husband and I are coming in Friday Nov 11th and leaving Mon the 14th. Maybe we can meet for Lunch on Sat. lets keep in contact. Talk to you soon.

Julie C

• livinglarge
    livinglarge Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2011
    Options

Anyone participating in the Nov 3 day walk in Dallas?  I have a team of 3 survivors but have not met anyone else that is participating.

• dsgirl
    dsgirl Member Posts: 193
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hello Texas thread participants

I have been trying to grow a vegetable garden in West Central TX for several years, and I must say I am not having much luck, some years because of bug infestations, some years it's so hot and dry the skin on the tomatoes are like wrinkled leather, some years the blossoms come, but no fruit delvelops, I checked with my local extension office, no help there for home gardening, so I was hoping some of you would have some tips for me, when and what to grow, I am retired from the workforce and have the time but not the knowledge. I have areas that get sun all day, another spot just morning sun, and another spot gets sun from 3pm 'til sunset.

Any ideas tips would be appreciated.

dsgirl

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

ds girl sorry to hear your local extension office did not help you out.  I work for the extension office and we give out lots of info on gardening.  Our county just had their first class of master gardeners so they are doing more of the education on that which is relieveing the ag agent from having to do all of it.  I live an hour south of Austin.  If you will PM me your email address I can send you some links to some very good gardening info that we use and they are public sites.  I might can give you some other phone numbers that might be helpful to you as well. When you pm me tell me where you are in Texas and I might can get some more specific info for you.

• cmhartley
    cmhartley Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hey there fellow Texans I just found this thread.  I don't stray much from the Stage IV boards unfortunately.  I'm Catherine, 47, veterinarian from Magnolia which is about 30min NW of Houston.  I was orig dx with stage IIb in 2005 and went through chemo, surgery, radiation and DIEP flap.  Recurrence in bones in 2009 and liver 2010.  Exhausted all antihormonals and now on chemotherapy (taxol/avastin).  Doing well, just happy to be alive and not experiencing many SEs.

Cat

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

Cat so glad you strayed over to this thread.  I live in gonzales which is 2 1/2 hours west of Houston.  Sorry that you BC came back, hopefully you will get good results from the chemo.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hey Texas Gals.  If anyone is interested, there are a couple of us that are trying to do a get together in the San Antonio are at the end of Sept.  One of our BC pals is coming to the States from Australia and would like to see a bit of our great state.  We are just in the planning stage but would welcome any input and see how many of you ladies would be interested.

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

Count me in Jo.

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited July 2011
    Options

I would love to join in.....I live at Center Point....north of SA.

Jana

• jo1955
    edited July 2011
    Options

I will keep posting undates as I get them.

I have a feeling Sherry will help get something set up.   

• TSB1
    TSB1 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    Options

Howdy Y'all! My name is Theresa and I live in Spring, TX (North of Houston).  I was diagnosed in April and I had bilat MX,SNB and DIEP in June.  Last week I had ALND and Thursday I'll get my port.  I will be starting Chemo in August.

• sagina
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi Theresa, sorry to welcome you to the boards - but there is a wealth of information here, and comfort, and laughs -  you get to pick each day which ones you want!!!

Jo~ I'm in San Antonio and know the city well.  I'll help in any way I can, i.e. like trying to find a place to meet etc.  Keep me in the loop on this thread as the dates are figured out etc.  I'd like to take a day or two off to meet all you fantastic women! And an Australian - wow! Whose coming? ChrissyB? 

• jo1955
    edited July 2011
    Options

Gina - I sure will keep you in the loop.  Chrissy just asked for hotel prices in SA.  I am waiting for her go get back with me and I will definitely have you help. It would be great if you could look at places for us to meet.  I am  I lived in SA for 10 years and only come occassionally.  This is going to be so exciting.  I am also sending you a PM

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

this will be exciting to meet everyone and for Chrissy B to be here from Australia

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442
    edited July 2011
    Options

Jo/Sherry I maybe interested in the trip, traveling from N. Dallas area.

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

mjbmiller we will keep you posted.

• jo1955
    edited July 2011
    Options

The more Texas gals we can get to come to San Antonio the bigger the party will be.  I am driving up from the Rio Grande Valley which is about a 4 1/2 hour drive.

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

bumping to keep it active

• jo1955
    edited July 2011
    Options

Thanks Sherry.  I have this thread marked as one of my favorites so I can keep an eye on it.

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited July 2011
    Options

Howdy all from Texas, glad I found this thread.

I live in Fort Davis, Tx.  Far West Texas.  Looks like we might get some rain.  I have to travel to Odessa, TX 172 miles one way for treatments.  I am taking AC every three weeks right now for 4 X and then will take 4 Abraxane treatments.  Should be done around Nov. 17th if all goes OK.  So far so good.  Go back for my 3rd treatment on Aug. 4th.  

I am sitll working part time at Sul Ross State Univeristy in Alpine, TX, My husband has the Davis Mt. Broom Shop  www.davismtbrooms.com  Keeps us busy. 

I am sure there are alot more of us who have not found this thread.

Hope everyone is staying cool

• jo1955
    edited July 2011
    Options

Welcome to the Texas thread.  I do know where you are at.  DH and I went on a camping rally in your area several years ago and had a great time.  We went to the Davis Observatory and saw the Marfa lights.  That has go to be very tiring to have to drive that far for treatment.  I am in deep South Texas close to the Mexican Border.

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

mommarch glad you found us.  I have camped in the Davis mountains and the observatory.  My DS used to live in Alpine and my DIL had a supprise Bday party for him at the Prude Ranch.  Love the Davis Mountains.  I hope we get some rain from this tropical storm we sure need it.

• jo1955
    edited July 2011
    Options

Sherry - The Tropical Storm is going to miss us completely and we are going to end up with heat and more heat.  Darn!  We do need rain and I know you could use some too.

• sagina
    edited July 2011
    Options

Mommarch, I'm in SA but I know where you are too.  I have a good friend who's daughter goes to Sul Ross.  Had you all in our prayers with those horrible fires this year.