Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

darriea: Thank you for clarifying!  So let's see how expansion goes for you. Let me know how you feel about the size, once you are filled to 400 ccs. 

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

whippetmom - Thank you so much for taking the time to review my latest pictures on the picture forum.  As I said in my PM to you last night, even though I value everyone's opinion about this revision, yours is the most important and reassuring to me at this point in the process.  So thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you do for so many of us here on BCO!  You are truly a blessing.

• TisAllGood
    TisAllGood Member Posts: 3

Hi Deborah,

I had to step away from information overload for a few days!  My surgery is now scheduled for June 23,  so I have a good amount of time to figure things out.  I would like to send you a PM with some pictures over the weekend, but I am not exactly sure how to do it!  So in addition to your expertise on implants I also need some technology guidance!  I appreciate your help and am encouraged from reading other postings.  Thanks so much, Laura

• Melzo
    Melzo Member Posts: 3

Hi All,  I am having my exchange done soon and was looking for some input.  I am 5'6, 125 lbs and a 29.5 inch rib cage.  I would like to be a full C when done, but not more.  My TE expander is currently filled to 320cc and my PS is recommending 400-450cc silicone implant.  Does that sound right?  Any help would be appreciated.

• whippetmom

Melzo:  Which TE do you have? There are three styles in Mentor and six or more in Allergan.  What is the volume - not the fill volume - the recommended volume?  Do you have just one TE?  If you have one, then the size of the implant depends on gaining symmetry with the native breast.  So it might be a 400 cc implant, a 425 cc implant, a 450 cc implant, and it might be high profile or midrange profile.  Are you going to augment the native breast or lift the native breast?  The chief concern with a unilateral is to match the native breast.  A number of factors here.

• whippetmom

TisAllGood:  I PM'd you info for uploading photos.  You will need to provide all of your stats and TE information in the email or via message, when you provide the photos.

• whippetmom

AZ...Glad to help and I am happy that you have a solid plan and a new, dedicated PS! ThumbsUp

• whippetmom

AZ....I want a brindle show-bred whippet someday....like the one pictured.  So cute....

• Melzo

Here are my tissue expanders (bilateral) 133MV-13-T (400 cc) Allergan currently filled to 320cc.

• whippetmom

Melzo, there are two smooth round silicone styles appropriate for you. Allergan Style 20 high profile, 475 ccs minimally and 500 ccs preferably, and Allergan Style 15, 371 ccs minimally or 397 ccs. The latter style is a midrange profile and will have less projection than the Style 20.  I prefer the HP. 

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

whippetmom - I am seeing more and more ladies getting TEs with tabs... Is this something recent or did I just never notice before?

• whippetmom

The suture tab TEs have been around for quite a long time.  I think that they are probably more time consuming in the placement, and perhaps this is why they are not used as much, as well as perhaps being a cost factor from an insurance coverage standpoint.  

• dessert1st
    dessert1st Member Posts: 12

Hi Deborah,

Hope you are doing good !!  I would like to get your input put on implants. My stats are:Height- 5'6, weight -188, rib cage - 38, I have allegern style #133MV-15 (500cc).  Currently filled to 720 and PS wants to fill to 800 (says she needs the extra skin on one side).  Suggestions?  My exchange is scheduled for July 3!  My daughter is getting married in Sept and hope all is healed, dropped and fluffed by then <smile>  Thanks for your help with this!  Judy

• Melzo

I recall my PS talking about 410 implants.  Would 400-450 seem reasonable for that type of implant?

• whippetmom

Melzo:  The corresponding implant would be Allergan 410 - MF - 295 gms or 335 gms quite possibly.  The anatomicals are measured in grams, while the silicone rounds are in cubic centimeters, so it is difficult to compare the two styles.  

• whippetmom

From the thread header re: anatomical implants:

ALLERGAN 410 - "GUMMY BEAR" IMPLANTS:

There are numerous threads here on bc.org which discuss the merits of these implants versus the standard silicone rounds. [We are happy to help with sizing in this regard as well, although please note that breast reconstruction experts state that the tissue expander should be chosen specifically for expanding and creating the breast pocket for the corresponding cohesive gel/gummy bear implant. ] Therefore, it is probably more uniquely important that you discuss with your PS where he/she intends to go in terms of implant size/projection at the time of exchange.]

• mikishelley
    mikishelley Member Posts: 12

Whippetmom- We talked briefly when I first had my double MX with Te's but here are my facts; 5'7" 135 lbs. Ribcage under my TE's 32", TE Allergan style 133mv. TE's  suggested capacity 300 CC's, my fill 450 cc's.

Question - I am scheduled now for my implant exchange surgery and I am concerned about which implants to choose. I was very small breasted before and would like to have some cleavage. I think a high profile would be the way to go, but my TE's are pushing outward from my breast bone. There is 2.5" between the internal edges on my breast bone at the center nipple area. Is this normal, and if not what should I say or question my PS before my surgery? Any input on which implants you feel would be better is much appreciated.

Thanks & Glad you are back and feeling better!

• Huz
    Huz Member Posts: 8

Dear Whippetmom, first; thanks for the wealth of information, this forum has been incredibly helpful to me over the last few months. My information is the following, ribcage : 30 inches, 5'6, 140lbs, TEs are Natrelle style 133MV-13, 400cc, nipples removed during the surgery. I am expanded to 400ccs and will meet with the PS next Thursday to discuss the exchange. The nurse thinks the PS will recommend the 410 and that they would look good on me. The PS has not mentioned anything unusual about my ribcage or skin, even though I can see my muscle flex over the TEs, so there might not be a lot of fat left (my DCIS was extensive). The PS mentioned that she almost always does fat grafting's during the exchange. Pre surgery, I was a pretty small B cup; 400cc seems to be an improvement. Thanks in advance for your help.  

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876

Quick question. If they have to do fat grafting where do they take the fat from?

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750

Mommy,

If you have enough fat on your abdomen and have not had previous abdominal surgery, they use liposuction to remove fat and then inject it into "shallow" spots on your chest. Other donor sites would be your butt or thighs.

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876

Sandra,

I've had 4 c sections, gall bladder surgery and hysterectomy this july. Guess that option is out.... Thighs would be good I guess. 

• whippetmom

mikishelly, could you post a photo in a private message to me? Use the landscape icon above to post a photo. Or, you can email me...PM me for the email of you cannot post a photo via private message.

• whippetmom

Huz: 

The anatomical choices would be the same as I posted above for Melzo...

The corresponding implant, if your PS follows the protocol of choosing the anatomical which corresponds to the dimensions of your TEs, would be Allergan 410 - MF - 295 gms or 335 gms quite possibly. 

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126

well, I am now 2 weeks post op and doing well. Ended up with the 410 Mx anatomicals which fit well. I remember saying to the surgeon at the beginning that I was happy with any size implant as long as they weren't bigger than my native boobs (saggy 14D). Whilst I am still a 14D at bra fittings now they definately look smaller, probably more of a C cup. Following the wise advise on these posts have decided that if I lose 10 pounds, foobs will look better (next to toned stomach), so that is the next aim!

• whippetmom

Previvor:  Excellent news about your results!

Yes, losing belly fat makes for an amazing transformation of implant appearance after reconstruction.  Didn't we always need an incentive?  Also, even during my recent recovery from surgery, I might not be able to exercise much or take long walks, but I do my sit ups every night while watching TV....Winking 

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923

Oh...situps! So it's okay to do those with our TE's and implants, lol? I guess I have no excuses now. If whippetmom is doing them, I am too!

• whippetmom

Oh yes!  Lock those feet under a chair or sofa and do as many sit ups as you can without throwing up!  LOL!

(You can advance to more intense sit-ups once you have strengthened those abs a bit)

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

Exercise is a major topic on the hormone therapy threads, particularly the aromatase inibitor threads, due to the severe side effects of those drugs on the bones.  lago frequently mentioned Leslie Sansone's indoor walking programs over this past long winter (when many walkers couldn't get outside to exercise).  If you are looking for a decent workout, but you are homebound due to surgeries, weather, treatment side effects, etc. it might be worth checking out. 

Of course, you should always have your doc's OK to start exercising, especially if you are in healing mode.

Have a great weekend! 

• Huz
    Huz Member Posts: 8

Whippetmom, thank you very much for the reply. I'll let you know what the PS says next week.

Have a great long weekend.

• darriea
    darriea Member Posts: 5

I've been filled to 400 cc. I would like to go larger. But, apparently my skin cannot be stretched anymore. I would like projection when I choose implants. I was leaning towards silicone as I've heard they have a more natural feel, But any additional info would be helpful.